UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been following this case on the news, but have not read many of the threads here yet. This question may have been asked before, IDK. Most new cars come with computer ships in them where it is possible for LE to trace movements. I don't know much about this technology, but have heard about it. Would the car that Josh was driving have such a chip and has this been brought up in the news ?

One more question (probably asked before) have any search groups, like TES and others, been asked to participate in looking for Susan ?

As for Susan being kidnapped and deprogrammed I highly doubt it. There is another possible scenario where she is still alive. Here is a post that I made on SL Tribune board back on 12/23/09.

“You would need the analytical skills of an O.J. Simpson juror not to conclude that Josh is guilty. In fact he is acting so guilty that I began to wonder if this could be a Balloon Boy type hoax. He drives hundreds of miles with a rental then goes to neighbor to take him to pick up his van with “severely wind burned hands”. Just in case the neighbor didn’t notice his hands he kept applying lotion to them.

His alibi, the two fans, not helping police, the rental car and now this. How could he have drawn more attention to his guilt? If Susan turns up alive after the holidays with some crazy story to tell the talk shows we’ll know it’s been a hoax.

I know it’s a long shot. But it is hard to believe anyone could be as stupid as Josh is acting.”

Although I think this is an unlikely scenario it is one that I can’t completely shake. Josh (and maybe Daddy) dream this up and get Susan to go along. Instead of camping Josh drives Susan to meet his brother/father who drives Susan up to the Powell’s in Washington. Everything is staged to make Josh look as guilty as possible. Eventually Susan turns up in some random town telling LE she has just been released by her kidnapper. After Susan turns up everyone will be sympathetic to Josh and his family for accusing him. He can go on talk shows as the poor man who lost his job and was driven from his home by the false accusations of neighbors, press etc. Susan can talk about her time in captivity. Of course when she turns up she will have no useful information to help police locate her “captures”.

Again, I don not think this likely. It just keeps popping up in the back of my mind and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

There are aspects that fit. Like Kiirsi saying she got a message that led her to believe Susan was alive and in another state. Susan could have seen how hard her friend was taking this and got a message to her that she was alive without exposing all the details. It also fits with how LE is acting. They seem like the cat that swallowed the canary. They imply they know what happened but aren’t too concerned about locating a body.

The biggest problem with this theory is that Susan couldn’t possibly put her parents through this. She would have told them by now and her father doesn’t seem like the type to go along with something like this. However, he isn’t on camera pleading for help finding his daughter like most missing parents are.

I’m going to say it one more time. This is in no way the scenario I think most likely. Please don’t tell me how crazy I am. I’m 99.9% sure Josh murdered Susan and besides I already know I’m crazy.

I agree that this scenario is highly unlikely, but based on the two character we're dealing with, JP and SC, oh I mean SP, it might be possible. But why does Susan have to "be in on it?" I think it's possible JP and SP dreamed up this game and are making Susan play along, threatening her if she doesn't play just like they want her to. Of course she wouldn't put her parents through this, but JP and SP would. There's no telling where they could have her and in what conditions she is living. SP in his demented mind might have another friend or family member in on it. Again, I agree that this is highly unlikely, but after learning more about SP, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. We probably can't even imagine some things this guy could dream up, that's evident in the lyrics of his melodious music. (Really, he might have a future with this on American Idol...:eek:

Hang in there guys, they'll eventually nab his sorry arse.
That's what I keep telling myself also. LE knows much more than we do. Unfortunately these things NEVER move as fast as we wish they would. You can always tell too when people are getting anxious for news, things begin to get a little 'testy' sometimes.

We just all need to remember that we are all here for the same purpose.

~TCO~ Keeping the faith........

Much less remove his wedding band. In video of him moving, he is no longer wearing it.

Guess he's moved on.

Smores anyone ?? :furious:

Great observation!
Then he has already moved on in his brain!

and like father like son it seems............:loser:
so what does dad do?
Seriously he can't be making a living from this music.............

Great observation!
Then he has already moved on in his brain!

and like father like son it seems............:loser:
so what does dad do?
Seriously he can't be making a living from this music.............
Well, I'd probably pay him to stop..........

Yes it would be hard. We are talking sometimes tens of thousands of square acres of land. During winter even the ranchers stay on the roads for the most part. If there are fences they check the fence lines. Ranchers don't babysit their cattle. It would be impossible to do so and I can't imagine the cost. They round up their cattle and seperate them by brand and do a head count. And they do not do that in the winter. Now when the cowboys go out there this spring to see what the damage the winter did to their stock, they might come across something.

Yes, and we're talking about land that is semi-arid and much of it only has useful forage for a few months out of the year. So they'd keep the animals they have in a small area this time of year where they could keep track and bring food if necessary.

People keep talking about Susan's love for her church and Josh's opposing feelings about it causing problems in their marriage. I wouldn't doubt that. Couples of all faiths, races and sexual orientation break up all the time because one person is at a different place in the relationship than the other person is. I don't get why this always has to be brought back to the religion thing.

Because it was specifically mentioned in one of the news articles as part of their marital disagreement. It was mentioned (by the neighbor) that a goal of Susan was to have Josh get a "temple recommend", which is where his bishop (most churches call this person the pastor) formally states, with a written record, and after a personal interview, that Josh is in compliance with the rules and expectations of the LDS church. I interpret that as a "demand on Josh" rather than a "goal for Susan" since he is the one who would have to comply. No other bones of contention were mentioned, specifically, but who knows for sure?

Because it was specifically mentioned in one of the news articles as part of their marital disagreement. It was mentioned (by the neighbor) that a goal of Susan was to have Josh get a "temple recommend", which is where his bishop (most churches call this person the pastor) formally states, with a written record, and after a personal interview, that Josh is in compliance with the rules and expectations of the LDS church. I interpret that as a "demand on Josh" rather than a "goal for Susan" since he is the one who would have to comply. No other bones of contention were mentioned, specifically, but who knows for sure?

Yes, but some seem to believe that a couple's differences in religion is just an LDS thing. When really differences like this happen in alot of religions.

Yes, and we're talking about land that is semi-arid and much of it only has useful forage for a few months out of the year. So they'd keep the animals they have in a small area this time of year where they could keep track and bring food if necessary.

Exactly, they would not be covering their entire acreage during winter months.

En pointe Bartle. My exact sentiments. There are sooo many typos throughout. What, no editing? Or was that done by JP? Initial thing that caught me was in first paragraph in the "about Steve" section was the term:

unilateral and secretive decision (for Mom)

then...
unilateral and secretive decision (for Dad)

This was used twice on same page, not to mention first page. Thought in the beginning: this guy has a fairly good vocabulary. Then 2 times, and no one caught it? Who's the bigger fool here, the "musician," or Polished Marketing?

Spelling and grammar aside, I think the important point is Josh grew up with dysfunctional parents / family. Mom split with the children. Years later, Dad split with the children. We have no idea why either split? We do know after a long divorce, SP got custody of the children, but do not know why.

Josh's parents were not much of an example of a marriage relationship. Red flag? Sadly, with a divorce / single parent rate of 40%, he is not alone.

Thank you, Dr.Fessel.

I'm so tired of reading the lame reasons and illogical excuses about why no one is searching for Susan.

It makes no sense that Susan rates only a couple of Internet Sites displaying her photos and requesting prayers -- while 20 plus ward friends put their own lives on hold to expend their energy to pack, sort, carry and load a U-Haul truck so Susan's suspected murderer could more easily flee 800 miles to the safety of his daddy's gated community.

High energy and extended physical efforts find missing persons. Purple ribbons do not!

Not only are there no LDS members with boots on the ground looking for Susan, there isn't even a single rose left on Susan's doorstep.

I live within 15 miles of Laci Peterson's former home. Within HOURS of the announcement of Laci being missing, there were hundreds of people out in the cold rain on Christmas Day, searching the parks, rivers, swamps, woods and anywhere else they could think of.

Professional AND citizen searching began immediately and continued for months. We didn't know where to search either -- but we still searched!

Laci's front yard became a hopeful shrine of good wishes and prayers -- including rows and rows of hand written messages, stuffed animals, beautiful flowers and plants.

Eventually, in April, what was left of Laci was found on the San Francisco Bay rocky shoreline by a resident dog walker.

Where is Utah's angst - agony - OUTRAGE? _ Where is ANY emotion of urgency to locate your kind, loving, Salt Lake City mother?

Is there that much difference between Northern California residents and Utah residents?

I'll take California's caring residents of notorious *fruits and nuts* any day over Utah's stoic DO-NOTHINGS!

Shame on Utah! Shame on Susan's church family which encompassed her entire being!

It's long overdue that Susan's smiling Internet photos and posted flyers be replaced by photos of Josh - his personal van - and his rental van.

It's long, long overdue that Utah residents get off their butts in front of their computers, and physically search for Susan!

in my humble opinion

I agree with you, and I am sure we're all thinking the same thing!
It's too bad these utah residents aren't massing together to try and do something. I know the snow level is high, but come on try some searching!!

Will let the search thing go after this message, I promise. Let's just say there were a couple of bank robbers spotted in the Utah wilderness areas. You don't think LE (along with FBI) would be out combing the countrysides in a heartbeat?

If Kiirsi has a strong gut (or apparently received some message) about the belief that Susan was taken against her will to another state, I'm still perplexed as to how this could be possible.

IF it was someone she KNEW and let into the house (ie. no evidence of breakin or struggle), then surely this person was coming to the door after midnight on a Sunday? Then somehow managed to lock up after he took her? This seems impossible due to the fact that Susan's keys were found inside. Unless Josh gave someone the keys. The police had to break a window to get in the next day.

Regardless, if Kiirsi has the intuition that this has happened, does anyone know if Kiirsi has shared this view with Josh?

Kiirsi's shares openly on her webpage (http://crosscountryadventures.wordp...e-dark-side-of-the-search-for-susan/#comments) that this is the reason she is not actively searching. I get that. But I wonder why no one close to case is pleading for her safe return?

It's interesting how people can view things so differently. I'm thinking of all the married LDS women I know and I can tell you most wear the pants in their family. There are more than a few husbands I feel sorry for. They have wives that demand the big house, the new car, the entire package and make their husbands work several jobs to support that. Maybe it's different while a man and woman are standing inside a Wardhouse or Temple. But in day to day life, in the real world I see no more gender bias in LDS marriages than I do in the general population. I see how the good and the bad of the LDS church affects both sexes equally.

People keep talking about Susan's love for her church and Josh's opposing feelings about it causing problems in their marriage. I wouldn't doubt that. Couples of all faiths, races and sexual orientation break up all the time because one person is at a different place in the relationship than the other person is. I don't get why this always has to be brought back to the religion thing.

You're absolutely right SuziQ - and I don't mean to generalize at all - just sharing the view from my own experiences.

That being said - I believe religion keeps coming up here for a couple of reasons. We know that Susan was very involved in her church and church life. We also know that Josh wasn't and that this was a point of contention between them - quite possibly to the point of being a dealbreaker for Susan.

We also know that Susan had sought counsel with respect to her marriage within the church and that, at some point, she feared for her safety where Josh was concerned. I admit we don't really know how much of her fear she disclosed to her church counselor, but if she was very open about it and was still advised to stay in the marriage and make it work, I have a problem with that. And I would have a problem with it no matter the church or religion. IF that is what happened in this case, the advice Susan was given may very well have led to her death. JMO

Spelling and grammar aside, I think the important point is Josh grew up with dysfunctional parents / family. Mom split with the children. Years later, Dad split with the children. We have no idea why either split? We do know after a long divorce, SP got custody of the children, but do not know why.

Josh's parents were not much of an example of a marriage relationship. Red flag? Sadly, with a divorce / single parent rate of 40%, he is not alone.

The way this reads, I think you may have confused Josh's father's childhood (from the Steve Chantrey website) with Josh's childhood.

Josh's father is the Steve Chantrey character, and he's the one whose mother split with the kids, then dad found them, then his dad split with the kids with his parents' (Josh's Grandparents) help.

My wife has pointed out that the website background story is confused. First his mother steals off with the kids, but the dad finds them " My dad found us after a few months, and my parents reconciled."

The dad steals off with the kids, and there's no mention of the mother finding them ever again.

Then he talks about "Growing up with a single mother who supported her four children working as a secretary" and "One of Mom's suitors was a music arranger.", so exactly when was he being brought up by a single mom? Those few months after she took them, but before dad found them? Did she have suitors during this time?

One telling line is "After learning a few chords I began writing songs of my own. Most were unremarkable and immature in their style and content." Obviously nothing has changed there.

So the "About" section of the Steve Chantrey website is confused in the timeline and whether he was raised by a single mom, single dad, or what. It reads like the product of a delusional mind IMO. Josh's dad may or may not have been physically involved with Susan's disappearance, but mentally emotionally he's put a huge strain on their marriage.

AMOO.

You're absolutely right SuziQ - and I don't mean to generalize at all - just sharing the view from my own experiences.

That being said - I believe religion keeps coming up here for a couple of reasons. We know that Susan was very involved in her church and church life. We also know that Josh wasn't and that this was a point of contention between them - quite possibly to the point of being a dealbreaker for Susan.

We also know that Susan had sought counsel with respect to her marriage within the church and that, at some point, she feared for her safety where Josh was concerned. I admit we don't really know how much of her fear she disclosed to her church counselor, but if she was very open about it and was still advised to stay in the marriage and make it work, I have a problem with that. And I would have a problem with it no matter the church or religion. IF that is what happened in this case, the advice Susan was given may very well have led to her death. JMO

From what I understand, she saw Peterson (a neighbor; not sure if he is LDS) for some marriage counseling, and he's on record for advising her to leave him. Does anyone know if she saw another counselor?

I think the WellsFargo coworkers are going to be key in this investigation. I don't recall ever reading where Susan discussed "fearing" Josh with Peterson. (Correct me if I'm wrong). But with the coworkers at her work, there seems to be (at this point) more direct communication about fearing him, documenting journals, discussing the fact she'd never commit suicide, etc. It seems to me that she may have felt safer communicating with coworkers than with her own neighbors and friends. And if true, for good reason since her niche at work was so separate from Josh's influence.

After all, who keeps a journal at work? I think most bosses would be annoyed that an employee would be journalling on company time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste