VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree that his violence, verbal & physical, is well documented.

In a school setting, the term "inappropriate" used here indicates touching more private body parts, touching that may be normal between consenting adults privately but inappropriate otherwise. Yanking her arm would be described as "Grabbed her arm" or "pulled her arm" in any school setting I've known as an adult. Pushed her down would be just that.

Inappropriate? Touching her thigh, panties, chest; pointing at her body/underwear & inviting others to look; etc would be considered inappropriate.

(Down a rabbit hole, um, yeah the child likely has observed this sort of behavior in mature video games and possibly IRL. Never was a fan of GTA btw.)

jmprofessional experience, ymmv, lrr
If the boy had touched a girl in an unwanted, sexual manner, the school had to have a policy to address it because it would be considered sexual assault.

If the boy had touched a girl in an unwanted, sexual manner, the school had to have a policy to address it because it would be considered sexual assault.

Multiple articles have indicated this district's willingness to overlook reasonable protocols.

@MyBelle
Thanks for the edweek.org link about Title IX in K-12.

The school may indeed have HAD A POLICY to address this incident per Title IX req'mts. Whether school admin FOLLOWED their own policy is a different question.

W'out further info, or say, video, seems difficult to to know what actually happened, but I wonder if school handled this situation w the same cavalier attitude and lack of action when faced w reports of student w gun?

ETA: I see @Laughing already commented w same observation.
GMTA?

The crux of the problem, if you have a gun for security, having it unloaded, in a gun safe, isn't much protection. Having a loaded gun, next to your bed, isn't really safe and secured for children.
There are biometric gun safes that can be programmed to open with fingerprints.
We have had three of these for about 15 yrs with a loaded pistol in each.
One is mobile and it goes with us when we travel.
Kids can’t get into them
They are about $100 each
I would recommend them, some can be programmed for multiple people, all have a key entry or combo also.

Have I ever had the need to pull a gun out? Yes, a crafty raccoon somehow made it past my dogs and got into my chicken coop in the wee hours.

JMO

Thanks :) In the scheme of things, not super important or of sleuthing relevance. Never know when I could use the information though.

I've never played the game. But, in the game Grand Theft Auto -- one commits crimes.

With weapons, for points.

Experience GTA Online, a dynamic and ever-evolving online universe for up to 30 players, where you can rise from street-level hustler to become a kingpin of your own criminal empire.

Enjoy new high-performance vehicle upgrades and improvements like the Career Builder as well as all GTA Online gameplay upgrades, expansions, and content released since launch, ready to enjoy solo or with friends. Pull off daring co-operative Heists, enter adrenaline-fueled Stunt Races, compete in unique Adversary Modes, or hang out in social spaces including nightclubs, arcades, penthouse parties, car meetups, and much more.

bbm

A rabbit hole indicates that some people play this game with their Dad. Potentially. And their Dad's friends.

I've been told there are female characters in the game, characters that are not routinely treated with respect.

But again I've never played this one.

jmho ymmv lrr

I've never played the game. But, in the game Grand Theft Auto -- one commits crimes.

With weapons, for points.

A rabbit hole indicates that some people play this game with their Dad. Potentially. And their Dad's friends.

I've been told there are female characters in the game, characters that are not routinely treated with respect.

jmho ymmv lrr
RSBM
Argh!
Now I understand even better.

That wouldn't be a game for me either.

RSBM
Argh!
Now I understand even better.

That wouldn't be a game for me either.

When my video-gamer kid was a kid, games had maturity ratings.

GTA is certainly not for young children!

This is a game rating site for parents:

Parents need to know that Grand Theft Auto V is an adult action game for Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Windows platforms. It brims with gang violence, nudity, extremely coarse language, and drug and alcohol abuse. Playing as hardened criminals, players kill not only fellow gangsters but also police officers and innocent civilians using both weapons and vehicles while conducting premeditated crimes, including a particularly disturbing scene involving torture. Women are frequently depicted as sexual objects, with a strip club mini-game allowing players to fondle dancers' bodies, which are nude from the waist up. Players also have the opportunity to make characters use marijuana and drink alcohol, both of which impact their perception of the world. All of the main characters are criminals who think of themselves first and others rarely at all. Online modes allow players to create their own avatar and embark on a criminal career that includes armed robberies, corruption, and murder. There's some diversity within the cast, including people of varying skin colors, backgrounds, and sexual orientation, but virtually no characters here could be considered appropriate role models. Few games are more clearly targeted to an adult audience.

And rabbit holes indicate that some people play this game with their Dad. Yup.

jmho ymmv lrr

I almost wonder if the school WANTED something terrible to happen, and didn't care about the collateral damage.
I don't think they WANTED something terrible to happen. Quite the opposite. They wanted NOTHING to happen. This is just my opinion and not something I am at all an expert on. But bad bureaucracy/administration will always follow the path of least resistance. Whatever makes their job easier is what they follow. Calling police in this district, suspending a child, interventions, lead to a lot of work. They wanted to sweep things under the rug as much as possible. At least, I HOPE that was the reasoning.

I don't think they WANTED something terrible to happen. Quite the opposite. They wanted NOTHING to happen. This is just my opinion and not something I am at all an expert on. But bad bureaucracy/administration will always follow the path of least resistance. Whatever makes their job easier is what they follow. Calling police in this district, suspending a child, interventions, lead to a lot of work. They wanted to sweep things under the rug as much as possible. At least, I HOPE that was the reasoning.

I tend to think this is the real case, they wee in denial of how serious this child's violent outbursts truly had become. They might have thought the teachers and children were exaggerating and minimizing their fears.
Maybe, they feared backlash for expelling a disabled child? Fear of a lawsuit?
I would hope they didn't want the child to actually kill someone!

When my video-gamer kid was a kid, games had maturity ratings.

GTA is certainly not for young children!

This is a game rating site for parents:

Parents need to know that Grand Theft Auto V is an adult action game for Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Windows platforms. It brims with gang violence, nudity, extremely coarse language, and drug and alcohol abuse. Playing as hardened criminals, players kill not only fellow gangsters but also police officers and innocent civilians using both weapons and vehicles while conducting premeditated crimes, including a particularly disturbing scene involving torture. Women are frequently depicted as sexual objects, with a strip club mini-game allowing players to fondle dancers' bodies, which are nude from the waist up. Players also have the opportunity to make characters use marijuana and drink alcohol, both of which impact their perception of the world. All of the main characters are criminals who think of themselves first and others rarely at all. Online modes allow players to create their own avatar and embark on a criminal career that includes armed robberies, corruption, and murder. There's some diversity within the cast, including people of varying skin colors, backgrounds, and sexual orientation, but virtually no characters here could be considered appropriate role models. Few games are more clearly targeted to an adult audience.

And rabbit holes indicate that some people play this game with their Dad. Yup.

jmho ymmv lrr

And we wonder why American youth are reduced to their reptilian brains.
It is all a bit sick in the name of entertainment.

JMO

The law firm representing three of the four defendants in the lawsuit filed by Richneck Elementary School teacher Abby Zwerner has filed a motion in Newport News Circuit Court to have the suit dismissed.
The motion, known as a Plea in Bar, was filed Wednesday afternoon by attorneys with the law firm Pender and Coward, which represents the Newport News School Board, former Newport News School Superintendent Dr. George Parker, III, and former Richneck Elementary Principal Briana Foster Newton.

The fourth defendant in the lawsuit, former Richneck Elementary Assistant Principal Ebony Parker, is represented by a different law firm and was not included in this motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Columba64