VA- 6-YEAR-OLD is in custody after shooting teacher

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that finds it incredibly odd that charges haven't been filed against anyone yet?
I'm trying to reason it out and that doesn't really make sense to me.

I mean, he's 6.
It's not like he's an experienced criminal mastermind that can outsmart LE about where he procured his weapon.
Very surprised that the parents have not been charged for the child having access to the gun.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — The 6-year-old Virginia student who shot and wounded his teacher pulled the handgun from a backpack and shot her while she was teaching his first-grade class, a police chief said.

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew on Monday offered the first description of how the shooting happened. He had previously said that the shooting was not accidental and declined to elaborate.

He said the student pulled the gun out, pointed at the teacher and fired at her. He said there was no physical struggle over the gun preceding the gunshot. No students were injured.

Drew said that the gun had been legally purchased by the child’s mother in York County. It was in the child’s residence, he put it in his back pack and brought it to school, the chief said...

Hmmm, here's what I got from the press conference.

Abby is a hero!
Child possibly haz some serious anger issues..... ( Pointing, and firing a gun at a human being, AND fighting with the school employee who restrained him)
Mother of child purchased the legally obtained firearm.

I got nuthin ( So many more questions!! )

I'm beginning to think a single parent situation. No mention of father. IMO
I'd have to go back and listen again but I believe the Chief of Police did say "parents" of the boy.

It sounded to me like, they're going to go over any history with child protective services, see what (if any, although you'd think they'd already know this) history is there, and then decide how best to proceed (either charges, or not).

It probably sounds crazy but what if the gun was actually secured at home and the kid figured out a way to get it anyway?
I mean, we're already in crazy mode when 6 year olds are taking a loaded gun to school to shoot their teacher so... I guess it's possible.

Thank goodness I live in a country where no handguns held legally and so can't be potentially left lying around for children to find and use. My heart goes out to the teacher and to the child in this case, too young to understand the long term implications of their actions. Hoping for a speedy recovery for the teacher and good therapy for them both.
Ellie, which country? Tell me Fiji and we can be friends ;)
I looked up countries with no legal firearms and there's only 12 countries where zero firearms are allowed it's citizens. Countries Where Guns Are Illegal 2023
Curious, is there an illegal gun problem in your country? What kind of murders does your country have? I'm always interested to learn.

I'd have to go back and listen again but I believe the Chief of Police did say "parents" of the boy.

It sounded to me like, they're going to go over any history with child protective services, see what (if any, although you'd think they'd already know this) history is there, and then decide how best to proceed (either charges, or not).

It probably sounds crazy but what if the gun was actually secured at home and the kid figured out a way to get it anyway?
I mean, we're already in crazy mode when 6 year olds are taking a loaded gun to school to shoot their teacher so... I guess it's possible.
You're correct he did say parents but then said that they met with the mother. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just observing here. She bought the gun legally so she obviously felt that she needed it for protection. I'm just nosey.

Hmmm, here's what I got from the press conference.

Abby is a hero!
Child possibly haz some serious anger issues..... ( Pointing, and firing a gun at a human being, AND fighting with the school employee who restrained him)
Mother of child purchased the legally obtained firearm.

I got nuthin ( So many more questions!! )
I know we will not get much information on this case due to his age but I can't help but wonder about his home life and what was going on in this little fellow's head.

I wasn’t aware that the child would appear before a judge.

Because of the student's age, the boy must wait 96 hours before appearing in front of a judge who will determine if he needs continual treatment or what his next step may be, officials said. His fate will be decided by individuals who specialize in dealing with 6-year-olds, officials said.

I wonder if there will be any information shared about previous behavior issues. Was this the first incident? One of many? Moo

From this article:

Virginia school shooting: 6-year-old brought gun in backpack, fired during instruction

Edited to fix quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member