VA - Alexis Murphy, 17, Shipman, 3 Aug 2013 - **ARREST** - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the car being found near the relatives just been a complete coincidence?

However I don't understand why he would have even bothered to move her car, especially to an area where he could be seen, instead of leaving it in the middle of nowhere.

If the family said he looked familiar, he may have to her too. Thus a reason why she could have trusted him. I don't think she would have just gone with him if he was a total stranger. Even if she didn't know him well or even his name, in a small community you just recognize people...and she probably had no reason to think he was dangerous :( It's so hard to say though. I sure as hell think he looks sketchy. But he might have talked a good game and been like "I know your mom, dad, etc and I'll help you".

Wish he would talk. Mabye he will if they threaten him with the Death Penalty.

I totally think he's the 29 stalker. I wish so much they could get him for Morgan's murder too...but that DNA link to the other rape is a pretty strong lead in that case. Mabye someday they will get their justice.

Long time WS reader but just registered today. While following this case I can't help but think of The Colonial Parkway murders/disappearances from 1986-1989. (8) murders/missing, long speculated that the predator was posing as LE.
These crimes were committed in Yorktown/Williamsburg, Smithfield, also a rest stop in New Kent County off I-64. All within approx. 2 hours of Charlottesville.

Thanks for thinking of the Colonial Parkway Murders victims. My sister Cathy Thomas, along with her friend Rebecca Dowski were the first two victims in the Colonial Parkway Murders. The potential connection to Randy Allen Taylor is worth a look, as are possible links to other open murder cases and disappearances in that area of Virginia, including Samantha Clarke in 2010, Morgan Harrington in 2009. Alicia Showalter Reynolds in 1996, and many others.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

1. Posts from virtually everyone who either lives in the area or travels through it says that cell phone signals at that general location are sketchy at best.

2. The man was purportedly talking to her at the pump, and LE purportedly stated that his vehicle followed her out. I can think of no better explanation - especially if he turns out to be the 29 stalker. I mean, if he is the 29 stalker then it's his MO, and it's something he's clearly perfected over the years.

3. You'd be surprised how easy it is for a con and/or sociopath to fool someone - even those much more seasoned and acclimated to the cruel world than Alexis is.

Again JMO, nothing is proven until the evidence backs it. I am not dismissing your information, I am just saying I don't see AM as the type of person who would follow a stranger especially not one that looked like him. She may have followed them on social media but according to her family she was a person who was scared of her own shadow, so that behavior seems out of character for her. I can think of numerous explanations because without evidence to support one I cannot dismiss any explanation. IMO.

i just think that someone towing a car and dropping it off at a movie theater parking lot mid-morning would be a little suspicious? who would get a car towed to a shopping center's parking lot?

if i saw something like that happening, i know for sure i'd remember it.. especially if the vehicle doing the towing looked like something outta duck dynasty..

I hate to say it, but not that unusual in the more rural areas around here. Yea, I know. :waitasec:

So true! I live in Southwest VA and have seen more than one camo truck. I don't even notice the blatant redneckery anymore. lol

Thanks for thinking of the Colonial Parkway Murders victims. My sister Cathy Thomas, along with her friend Rebecca Dowski were the first two victims in the Colonial Parkway Murders. The potential connection to Randy Allen Taylor is worth a look, as are possible links to other open murder cases and disappearances in that area of Virginia, including Samantha Clarke in 2010, Morgan Harrington in 2009. Alicia Showalter Reynolds in 1996, and many others.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

My sincerest condolences, BT.
I hope you continue to contribute here on WS as much as you can.
Peace.

1. Posts from virtually everyone who either lives in the area or travels through it says that cell phone signals at that general location are sketchy at best.

2. The man was purportedly talking to her at the pump, and LE purportedly stated that his vehicle followed her out. I can think of no better explanation - especially if he turns out to be the 29 stalker. I mean, if he is the 29 stalker then it's his MO, and it's something he's clearly perfected over the years.

3. You'd be surprised how easy it is for a con and/or sociopath to fool someone - even those much more seasoned and acclimated to the cruel world than Alexis is.

You know, I agree with you about #3. So many women got in the car with the 29 stalker, whoever he is. Between the ages of 16 and 25 I often found myself in many situations where something was creepy or just off, but I didn't want to be rude. It seems like the weirder the dude, the more out of my way I went to be nice because he was just weird and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Even savvy, smart independent women can suddenly turn all submissive and "nice" in strange situations.

The one thing that makes me doubt this RAT was the 29 stalker is that the women who escaped said he just seemed like a really nice, trustworthy guy. He didn't seem scary at all. Richard Evonitz seemed much more able to pull off the charming, kind helpful persona than this guy would seem to. Evonitz also bragged to his co-workers about being able to pull women over on the road by flashing his lights at them.

Ok, I hate to be negative but looking at a very real possible outcome here..

Without a body or confession, they can't charge him with her murder. If they never find her, all they have on him is abduction. Correct? In Virginia, an abduction charge is a class 5 felony which carries a MAX of 10yrs.

So AS OF RIGHT NOW, he only faces a max of 10 years in prison, if found guilty.

That means there's a possibility he could be out again. That's IF they have enough evidence to convict him.

Am I correct on all of this? :\

The cretin who attacked the woman near Jermantown Rd in '05 (not far from George Mason Univ) and subsequently murdered Morgan has "sub-Saharan" DNA. One of the theories I have About this perpetrator is that he may be an undocumented person who might even slip in and out of the country. Apparently they did not digitize the fingerprints of illegals back in '05. I have wondered if this perpetrator deals drugs and moves about to areas where he can make sales. I am also concerned he may be responsible for other murders in which the bodies have not been found. As a side note, the attack on the young lady walking from the bus stop in Fairfax was very brazen. It is not an isolated area like the locale in which Morgan was found.

A vehicle painted in camo would be a bit unusual here in New England, but not overly so. Especially not in NH, ME, or upstate MA.

There is also the possibility that her cell phone battery just happened to die in that particular location. That would be a crappy hand of fate if it did. It's a stretch but cell phones these days do not have long battery life. LE did say her cell phone was no longer active, meaning the battery was dead or it was destroyed.

Or...what if RATman did the slider thing and took the battery from her phone while she was paying, and then followed her knowing her phone was disabled. Just a thought. Either way we know her phone was active until she was in that area.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

I'm sorry about your sister. I hope you get an answer soon.

You know, I agree with you about #3. So many women got in the car with the 29 stalker, whoever he is. Between the ages of 16 and 25 I often found myself in many situations where something was creepy or just off, but I didn't want to be rude. It seems like the weirder the dude, the more out of my way I went to be nice because he was just weird and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Even savvy, smart independent women can suddenly turn all submissive and "nice" in strange situations.

The one thing that makes me doubt this RAT was the 29 stalker is that the women who escaped said he just seemed like a really nice, trustworthy guy. He didn't seem scary at all. Richard Evonitz seemed much more able to pull off the charming, kind helpful persona than this guy would seem to. Evonitz also bragged to his co-workers about being able to pull women over on the road by flashing his lights at them.

BBM--if there's one important lesson for women in Gavin de Becker's book "The Gift of Fear", it's that if your gut is telling you something is wrong--BE RUDE.

Predators are counting on the fact that women are taught to be nice.

I know my 17 year old self would not have been so trusting, and I was very much like Alexis at 17 - putting on a certain public persona to my peers (although SM was a long way off!) while being very shy with adults. I would not have followed some older man even if he did tell me something was wrong with my car. I'd have found a safe, public place to go and have it checked (since we did not have cell phones back in the ancient ages).

I agree and will go one step further.....My 17 year old self would have stayed as far away from him as possible. Just the look of him would have given me the heebbie jeebies!!! :scared:

"The majority of serial killers are not reclusive, social misfits who live alone. They are not monsters and may not appear strange. Many serial killers hide in plain sight within their communities. Serial murderers often have families and homes, are gainfully employed, and appear to be normal members of the community. Because many serial murderers can blend in so effortlessly, they are oftentimes overlooked by law enforcement and the public."

"Contrary to popular belief, serial killers span all racial groups. There are white, African-American, Hispanic, and Asian serial killers. The racial diversification of serial killers generally mirrors that of the overall U.S. population."

"All serial murders are not sexually-based. There are many other motivations for serial murders including anger, thrill, financial gain, and attention seeking."

"Most serial killers have very defined geographic areas of operation. They conduct their killings within comfort zones that are often defined by an anchor point (e.g. place of residence, employment, or residence of a relative). Serial murderers will, at times, spiral their activities outside of their comfort zone, when their confidence has grown through experience or to avoid detection. Very few serial murderers travel interstate to kill."

"It has been widely believed that once serial killers start killing, they cannot stop. There are, however, some serial killers who stop murdering altogether before being caught. In these instances, there are events or circumstances in offenders’ lives that inhibit them from pursuing more victims. These can include increased participation in family activities, sexual substitution, and other diversions."

"As a group, serial killers suffer from a variety of personality disorders, including psychopathy, anti-social personality, and others. Most, however, are not adjudicated as insane under the law."

"As serial killers continue to offend without being captured, they can become empowered, feeling they will never be identified. As the series continues, the killers may begin to take shortcuts when committing their crimes. This often causes the killers to take more chances, leading to identification by law enforcement. It is not that serial killers want to get caught; they feel that they can’t get caught."

"Symposium attendees agreed that there is no single identifiable cause or factor that leads to the development of a serial killer. Rather, there are a multitude of factors that contribute to their development. The most significant factor is the serial killer’s personal decision in choosing to pursue their crimes. "

"Attendees at the Serial Murder Symposium agreed that there is no generic profile of a serial murderer. Serial killers differ in many ways, including their motivations for killing and their behavior at the crime scene. However, attendees did identify certain traits common to some serial murderers, including sensation seeking, a lack of remorse or guilt, impulsivity, the need for control, and predatory behavior. These traits and behaviors are consistent with the psychopathic personality disorder. Attendees felt it was very important for law enforcement and other professionals in the criminal justice system to understand psychopathy and its relationship to serial murder."

"Psychopaths are not sensitive to altruistic interview themes, such as sympathy for their victims or remorse/guilt over their crimes. They do possess certain personality traits that can be exploited, particularly their inherent narcissism, selfishness, and vanity. Specific themes in past successful interviews of psychopathic serial killers focused on praising their intelligence, cleverness, and skill in evading capture."

"An offender selects a victim, regardless of the category, based upon availability, vulnerability, and desirability. Availability is explained as the lifestyle of the victim or circumstances in which the victim is involved, that allow the offender access to the victim. Vulnerability is defined as the degree to which the victim is susceptible to attack by the offender. Desirability is described as the appeal of the victim to the offender. Desirability involves numerous factors based upon the motivation of the offender and may include factors dealing with the race, gender, ethnic background, age of the victim, or other specific preferences the offender determines."

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Bill, you're a good brother! I hope your memories of your sister Cathy have helped you get through the emotions that you must have experienced over the years. And I hope your family sees justice one day.

Here's the best I have found so far. Still looking.

ETA the google maps photo. I cropped most of the red car out because the photo that you see on google maps with the red car is when there were different people living there. My research shows other people lived there during 2011-2012 school year, and that picture was taken in 2011.

Yeah But, there was almost exactly the same car in the driveway in the News clip picture with the unmarked police cars in the driveway. It was even parked in a very similar way as both the Bing Bird's Eye and the Google Street View pics.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your loss Bill. I hope you continue to post with us here.

she had drug pictures on her SM but tweens do that even if they "don't do it" (I know this as I have a tween)

it is for attention and to fit in.

I do not see this being the case. It think she was preyed on at the gas station on her way to get her hair extensions in the OTHER direction and she just believed whatever this said to her in that conversation.

According to previous media links she was fine when she paid cash for her gas in the store.. went back out to her car and was seen talking to a "man"

that man is most likely this guy and he fed her a "your car looks broken let me help you" story :twocents:

I think poor Alexis was in the wrong place at the wrong time and fell for a line of bs.

She was a smart girl, going to be varsity captain of her volley ball team. She was an honors student. No way she was going to go hang out with this guy. No way. She was there buying GAS and last seen talking to a man on the ccvid.

What is "SM"? I could t find it on the abbreviation list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member