VA - Anjelica "AJ" Hadsell, 18, Norfolk, 3 March 2015 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my monitor I'm seeing some serious spacing issues in the body of the obit. Some areas are single spaced while others appear to be triple spaced. I posited that it could be the result of someone removing a name and forgetting to space things properly in whatever word editor they were using before submitting

I just now checked by copying the text and pasting into Notepad ++ no hidden characters are appearing and neither are the spaces.

IMO this is more than likely the result of bad coding somewhere on the site.

Also a Web dev here, both of my currently open browsers show no spacing issues at all. Be sure that you haven't magnified your page and then forgotten to reset it to normal (ctrl+0 or cmd+0, for anyone reading along will reset it immediately). Zooming can do some strange things to layout.

ETA: It is also quite common to set increased padding between paragraphs. This is a styling choice to enhance readability.

Please see the bold notated, this always bothered me in this interview.

Les: Right now Angelica Hadsell's adoptive father, Wesley Hadsell, is sitting in jail on charges connected to AJ's disappearance.
Speaker 2: News Channel 3's Nadeen Yanes spoke to Hadsell's sister who says she is losing faith that he's involved. She is live in our control room with more.
Les: Nadeen, you just spoke with her over the phone right?
Nadeen: I did Les. Wendy Stokes told me just a few hours ago that she had blinders on when it came to her brother, Wesley. For weeks now, she supported him adamant that he would never hurt AJ, but as her brother sits in jail and the story continues to develop up until today when a body was found, she says her trust in her brother is fading away.
Wendy: Of course I'm not judge and I'm not jury. I'm not saying that he's guilty and I'm not saying he's innocent. But it's really hard to have faith in someone when they can't be honest.
Nadeen: Just hours after human remains were found during a search for 18 year old Angelica Hadsell, Wendy Stokes tells me she's giving up on her brother, Wesley Hadsell.
Wendy: My throat hit my stomach when they said there was a body found. I'm trying to keep everything I need to hope that it's not her.
Nadeen: Do you have a gut feeling that this is AJ?
Wendy: I don't know. I just know that my brother had told me he worked in Franklin.
Nadeen: Hadsell who already has a long history of felonies is in jail right now facing several more felonies connected to AJ's disappearance including breaking and entering and obstruction. Since his arrest, Wendy says she's had her brother's back. Believed him when he says he was just trying to find his daughter. That was until today.
Wendy: I've always had faith in my brother. No matter what. Every time he's gone to jail, every time he's been to prison, every time he's gotten in trouble, I've always had faith in him. I've always told him to keep his head up. It doesn't matter what people say because he was a good person. Just do the right thing because I always had faith in him, but with everything that already come out and the charges he's already got on him...it's hard to keep that faith.
Nadeen: Do you think he's involved?
Wendy: I don't know anymore. At one time I didn't think he was. But now I don't know.
Nadeen: Earlier you told me you did.
Wendy: In my heart I don't want to believe he did, but there's things that when you start seeing on TV places they're looking, things that have been said. I'm his sister...You never want to think that anybody in your family could ever do anything like this.
Nadeen: Now from jail Wesley has been calling Wendy almost every day and she says in those conversations red flags have popped up. She says that his story kept changing and that he asked her to put up a Go Fund Me page for him wanting money for his support rather than to find AJ. She says she doesn't want to convict her brother but as of right now all faith in him is gone. Live in the control room Nadeen Yades, News Channel 3.

http://wtkr.com/2015/04/09/wesley-h...cence-in-ajs-disappearance-i-had-blinders-on/
transcribed by rev.com
BBM

Isn't that a kind dead give away the she knew about everything that had already come out before it came out and she was turning on him to save her own skin? It gives me a hint of that right off the bat.

Thank you very much 4 Free Speech for taking the time to do this transcript, very helpful.

I think the obit makes it abundantly clear where mom's loyalties and beliefs lie. She and Wesley are listed as parents together. His sister, who has said she no longer believed him, was left off, but tons of other people (including his brother) were included. I do not for one second think it is a mistake. You could not for one second convince me to put someone who I thought murdered my child's name down next to mine in her obituary. I know theories and excuses can be created, but the chances are that it reads exactly as it was intended to read. That's my opinion.

DISCLAIMER- I feel like I need to add a disclaimer because this thread is extra jumpy! I am not saying that it implies anyone's actual guilt or innocence. I am just saying that it is pretty clear what the people closest seem to believe or are loyal to.

I agree.

Dysfunctional doesnt even begin to cover it. Most families wouldnt use a tragedy such as this as an excuse for pettiness and the settling of scores. Neither would they label someone the black sheep of the family for having the courage to face a painful truth and stand up for what they believe is right.

I feel so much for the good guys in this. WH's sister, Zack, and those poor, poor children.

Ive seen more dignity and class from guests on Jerry Springer.

I've probably had more glasses of wine than I should have... but I have a few things to say.

First... I haven't read AJ's obit, and I just can't right now. Too fresh, too raw, too... makes me cry. But I will say this... when my first hubby of nearly 10 years finally lost his battle with stage 5 melanoma, I found myself at the funeral home expected to write his obit. I looked at my mom, in a total panic. I didn't want to leave anyone out and I wanted it to say all the right things and at the time I thought it looked pretty good. Every once in a while over the years I've looked back at it and cringed. It was awful. Absolutely awful. Had he been the victim of a homicide there is no question I would have been on the hotseat for leaving things out.

FACT (I could just slap WH for any of us saying that) when you're planning the burial of a loved one, you're NOT thinking clear. My uncle recently passed and my creepy aunt wrote his obit and my mom (his sister) nearly flew out of her own skin and wanted to slap her in every way possible. It was a HORRIBLE obit that should have never made it into the local papers. Point is, sometimes these things are just not at all what they should be. Not even close! This is why paid memorial notices are so super awesome. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Second... whoever is ultimately responsible for AJ leaving this world at such a young and tender age, WILL pay for it. I don't care who that is, who helped them, who covered it up, who enabled it, who covered for it. Despite the garbage rumors and innuendo, LE works on hard, cold, irrefutable evidence and that's what will unravel the lies from the truth and hold each and every party accountable.

I am 100% confident in that.

moo.

Also a Web dev here, both of my currently open browsers show no spacing issues at all. Be sure that you haven't magnified your page and then forgotten to reset it to normal (ctrl+0 or cmd+0, for anyone reading along will reset it immediately). Zooming can do some strange things to layout.

ETA: It is also quite common to set increased padding between paragraphs. This is a styling choice to enhance readability.

This isnt normal spacing.....single spaced in most places but triple spaced in the middle of the paragraph.......in weird places, like its trying to stretch some words and sentences to fit the table.

No zoom here at all either. I suppose it could be my browser or my screen resolution if the site is supposed to be responsive.

Not really that big of a deal. Just odd.

Oh... and I just wanted to add...

I'm an old hippie mama myself (despite what some may suspect) and the other night when the Cat Stevens music vid was posted by Mountain_Kat, my heart broke completely in two. I started it then immediately had to stop it because I KNEW which song it was and it wrecked me. Then Zach posted a Cat Stevens vid on his own FB just for AJ. (Showing my age & don't care at all)

I love CS. Always have. I finally listened all the way through to this vid and... yeah, I'm broken again just like I knew I would be.

Now? Let's push forward for JUSTICE FOR ANJELICA. She did not deserve this and whoever took her precious life from her genuinely needs to pay.

I've probably had more glasses of wine than I should have... but I have a few things to say.

First... I haven't read AJ's obit, and I just can't right now. Too fresh, too raw, too... makes me cry. But I will say this... when my first hubby of nearly 10 years finally lost his battle with stage 5 melanoma, I found myself at the funeral home expected to write his obit. I looked at my mom, in a total panic. I didn't want to leave anyone out and I wanted it to say all the right things and at the time I thought it looked pretty good. Every once in a while over the years I've looked back at it and cringed. It was awful. Absolutely awful. Had he been the victim of a homicide there is no question I would have been on the hotseat for leaving things out.

FACT (I could just slap WH for any of us saying that) when you're planning the burial of a loved one, you're NOT thinking clear. My uncle recently passed and my creepy aunt wrote his obit and my mom (his sister) nearly flew out of her own skin and wanted to slap her in every way possible. It was a HORRIBLE obit that should have never made it into the local papers. Point is, sometimes these things are just not at all what they should be. Not even close! This is why paid memorial notices are so super awesome. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Second... whoever is ultimately responsible for AJ leaving this world at such a young and tender age, WILL pay for it. I don't care who that is, who helped them, who covered it up, who enabled it, who covered for it. Despite the garbage rumors and innuendo, LE works on hard, cold, irrefutable evidence and that's what will unravel the lies from the truth and hold each and every party accountable.

moo.

Well said, thank you. I guess I'm just sad and angry that Zach's kids were lumped in as Hadsells and not as Hoffers. It's like WH has to own everything - and everybody. :(

Yep, nothing makes sense with his stories. If she needed it Tuesday then why take it over on Monday morning? I guess he had to go get his work truck anywa, so why even mention it?

Right!!! Because he would be back on Monday evening and Tuesday morning anyway.. The whole story about the mailbox was to magnify what he said about never going in the house. Which means...

This isnt normal spacing.....single spaced in most places but triple spaced in the middle of the paragraph.......in weird places, like its trying to stretch some words and sentences to fit the table.

No zoom here at all either. I suppose it could be my browser or my screen resolution if the site is supposed to be responsive.

Not really that big of a deal. Just odd.

Do you mean between words? That's paragraph justification, and I agree it looks weird and I never use it. But it is a common paragraph style for newspapers. It stretches the spaces between the words in a line so both the left and right edges line up straight on the sides.

moo.

Thank you so much for your comments.

I am trying hard not to be judgmental. I am telling myself that grief makes it hard to think clearly.

Yet I'm baffled by the same things that bother everyone else. Not so much the inclusion of WH (innocent until proven guilty---I know, I'm thinking it, most people reading are thinking the same thing, but...) as the exclusion of his sister (I mean, is doubting your brother's innocence more of an excluding criterion than being estranged from your wife?) and then the inclusion of what seems to be a select group of friends. I think that whoever wrote the obit had a pretty strong POV on things and did not make mistakes.

I'm also a little surprised by the death date. I guess they had to give some kind of date.

I don't even know if this is appropriate, but is there anything we who are local or semi-local can do for Zach as tribute to his daughter?

Do you mean between words? That's paragraph justification, and I agree it looks weird and I never use it. But it is a common paragraph style for newspapers. It stretches the spaces between the words in a line so both the left and right edges line up straight on the sides.

Yep thats it! Shows you how much I read the newspaper :)

moo.

First, I am so sorry about your loss. That must have been tough. Very very tough. :grouphug:

When you do eventually read the obit, if ever--you might have a different feeling for what some are reacting to. It does not seem like it was written by a grieving Mother. It is not 'awful' or cringeworthy in terms of it having mistakes. Quite the opposite. It appears to me to have been written quite purposely by some one with an agenda. JMO

Sorry if this has been mentioned or not allowed. I thought DH and WH werent brothers so that wouldnt make him her uncle..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to be bitter, but I am not liking the memorial fund to a bank account plugged at the end of it.

Most people put the name of a charity or cause to send money to in lieu of flowers. Not an ambiguous bank account.

Okay, I am stopping now, but I am really riled up now. They could have even suggested any of the agencies that search for and help missing and exploited children.

Okay, I am stopping for real now. It just really hit me. Trying not to continue ranting now.

Well said, thank you. I guess I'm just sad and angry that Zach's kids were lumped in as Hadsells and not as Hoffers. It's like WH has to own everything - and everybody. :(

I didn't read it, didn't click. I can't. Obits are too "this is legit" and honestly even though my heart knows it my head can't wrap around it. If that makes any sense? Besides, from all I've read here it's just a horrible testimony to who she was and who mattered and WHO they really are.

I know who AJ's sisters are. Two are Hoffer girls and one is a Hadsell girl. I also know all 3 of them loved their big sister and will miss her terribly. That's what matters.

I think the obit makes it abundantly clear where mom's loyalties and beliefs lie. She and Wesley are listed as parents together. His sister, who has said she no longer believed him, was left off, but tons of other people (including his brother) were included. I do not for one second think it is a mistake. You could not for one second convince me to put someone who I thought murdered my child's name down next to mine in her obituary. I know theories and excuses can be created, but the chances are that it reads exactly as it was intended to read. That's my opinion.

DISCLAIMER- I feel like I need to add a disclaimer because this thread is extra jumpy! I am not saying that it implies anyone's actual guilt or innocence. I am just saying that it is pretty clear what the people closest seem to believe or are loyal to.

I think you are absolutely right as terrible as it is.

Sorry for the rant. I know it was probably a little bit inappropriate and I have been trying to give this family the benefit of the doubt. But that really hit me hard.

I guess throughout this, I have been able to be a little detached from the emotions involved in this case. Even when her body was id'd, it just did not seem quite real, you know?

But seeing the obit really hit me, and hard. So now for the first time I am bawling. I guess it just now feels real. Sorry for being so emotional.

I feel so bad for all the people who loved her, Zach, her bio dad and his wife, who continue to be kicked while they are down. I am so sorry.

Yep, nothing makes sense with his stories. If she needed it Tuesday then why take it over on Monday morning? I guess he had to go get his work truck anywa, so why even mention it?

His stories make sense......once you figure out that he isnt talking to you, so much as at you. Everything he says is an effort to manipulate, misdirect or cover for his own actions. Thats why his speech appears so sporadic and random IMO.

He keeps trying to throw in all of these little details in an effort to make people think he's innocent when in actuality the more complicated a lie the less believable it is.

Sorry for the rant. I know it was probably a little bit inappropriate and I have been trying to give this family the benefit of the doubt. But that really hit me hard.

I guess throughout this, I have been able to be a little detached from the emotions involved in this case. Even when her body was id'd, it just did not seem quite real, you know?

But seeing the obit really hit me, and hard. So now for the first time I am bawling. I guess it just now feels real. Sorry for being so emotional.

I feel so bad for all the people who loved her, Zach, her bio dad and his wife, who continue to be kicked while they are down. I am so sorry.

I understand exactly what you are saying/feeling. I reacted as well. My first wince was early on in the obit, at the front. And it is said that AJ was pre-deceased by her two 'grandfathers' Mr Busby and Mr Hadsell. Was Hadsell senior ever really her grandfather? When did he pass? I doubt that she ever looked at Wes's deceased father as her grandfather, imo. :no:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand