Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem 245UFVA, ~60, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL she has DEADLINES!!! I normally have a lot of free time at work, maybe I'll poke around tomorrow.

(And yes, get an ancestry account -- it's fascinating when you're not lead on a wild goose chase!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude. I'm self-employed. If I don't meet those deadlines, I don't eat! :eek:

Not that this stops me from screwing around most of the day!

Doesn't it cost $$?

Eta: I think my mom has an account. I'll check with her tomorrow.

It depends on how deep you want to get into your research. Another great website is familysearch.org -- which I think is all free.

Nope. Didn't die. I mentioned it up thread. It was in April 1977.

Interesting aside...SS's dad died just two months later, in June of 1977. If I've got the right John Sprang, that is. I think I do. I'm not saying that his daughter was some crazy spree-killer with a car, who struck down her own papa. LOL. She did seem to be a terrible driver, though, from what Five had discovered.

I've been wanting to get an Ancestry account too. I had a trial membership years ago but they mostly had just census reports so I never subscribed. FamilySearch has some information but nothing like Ancestry does now, I'm sure. Does anybody know if Ancestry has birth and death dates, by any chance? Not just years but months and days as well? I was adopted, and always wondered where I came from

...although I do have a theory about that.

:ufo:

It depends on how deep you want to get into your research. Another great website is familysearch.org -- which I think is all free.

Huh. I didn't see this before I mentioned FamilySearch. :)

Bear with me, I'm going to post the original emails from the original detective on the case. Maybe you guys can sort through the facts here. This will be long...

I have attached photos of the small (about 1' tall) Christmas Tree and the cassette player. The player appears to be a GE and I think the batteries were pretty standard, although I don't recall the brand. I looked at the batteries because they leaked in the player

Sherry Dedrick in San Francisco was not identified or excluded. The PD no longer has a file on the case and there aren't any fingerprints or dental records for her as far as we can tell.
The DNR pendant outcome is equally unsatisfying. Apparently, many states require a form and a doctor's authorization, but many other jurisdictions don't have such laws. Virginia has had a program since the early 1990's, but the Dept. of Health does not keep any records of who gets them. The pendants that are sold now have the doctor's name and address/telephone number. This one did not have anything else engraved on it. A Hospital DNR is a plastic bracelet as were Virginia's early products. We don't think this one came from Virginia or their vendors, one of whom you found on the Internet. The other was very helpful, but did not recognize it. As to its origin, it is probably an old one she obtained in any number of unknown ways. I have enclosed a photograph of it for you, since it no longer exists. Our ME took a photo and I learned she was cremated with it on her. I suspect she was hooked into the Hemlock Society because she appeared to be using the book I mentioned earlier. The Hemlock Society probably is able to provide such things to people or provide vendor's names.
I don't believe this person is local with all the publicity the case has gotten over the years. She may have been associated with the area at one time and knew about the cemetery

I have enclosed several photographs of the woman, which were taken shortly after she was found. Her body was found when the maintenance workers first arrived at the cemetery. She was not there when it closed the previous evening, so the time of death was between 1600 and 0830 hours. The death in the night of December 17-18, 1996, when the weather was cold. The blood you see on her face is pulmonary edema and not a result of trauma. He body was near a mausoleum, not related to her and children's graves. When this cemetery first opened, it was primarily for black people, so we don't think she had a child buried there. We think she picked the location because it is secluded, off of Little River Turnpike, near the Northern Virginia Community College in Annandale.

A full autopsy was not performed by our Medical Examiner because of the victim's request not to have one. I wish one had been done to answer the questions you and others have raised. There was no reason given for the scar on her abdomen, as seen in the attached photograph.

In her property, there was a pair of tri-focal prescription glasses made by CSL, which Ellen Leach at Porchlight found to be from Centre Spatial de Liège, Université de Liège, Av. du Pré-Aily, 4031 Angleur, Belgium. Additionally, she was carrying a backpack, something older women in the USA do not tend to use to put their personal items.

zv9zjl.jpg

2v3os8y.jpg

n6ure9.jpg

1z4ahpf.jpg

2w5vblu.jpg

24xo1s3.jpg

2j18z7c.jpg

Last, Poky, if you want the PM pic I'll PM it to you. Let me know.

Didn't someone say the scar was a possible C section? Every C section scar I've ever seen was across the low belly where the uterus is not up and down. Now my dad has a scar just like that from his surgery on his colon, intestines, stomach and liver due to a HUGE malignant tumor that went undetected for years (but that's a story for another day). At first that scar was like raised but as time went on it like sunk into his skin. They even avoided cutting the belly button as well.
So maybe that was the reason for the DNR. She had rampant cancer. My dad has a dnr, but he chose to do chemo do now he's cancer free. Btw, my dad is 73 and this happened last year.

Seagram Beverage Group acquired Dole Food Company’s global juice business in 1995, including the Dole brands in North America, and Dole, Fruvita, Looza and Juice Bowl juices and nectars in Europe. Dole was operated under Tropicana Dole Beverages North America and Tropicana Dole Beverages International.[1]

Tropicana Products - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looza (pronounced 'low-za') produces premium, non-alcoholic fruit juices aimed especially at the Horeca (catering) sector.

The company is part of Tropicana Europe, headquartered in Brussels, and currently has a 70% share of the Horeca market in Belgium.

Looza have a unique and exceptional taste and the quality of Looza juices is guaranteed by the logo: "100% pure and natural - no added sugars".

Click here to see the full Looza product range.

The "Looza Premium Nectar" logo on the label gaurantees the premium quality of the range which has and average 12 months shelf life.

http://www.jamesclay.co.uk/beer-suppliers/product-looza

Horeca (or HORECA) is the sector of the food service industry that consists of establishments which prepare and serve food and beverages. The term is a syllabic abbreviation of the words Hotel/Restaurant/Café.[1]
The Dutch Uniforme Voorwaarden Horeca (UVH) is translated into English as Uniform Conditions for the Hotel and Catering Industry. This code covers hotels, bars, restaurants and related businesses in the Netherlands. Koninklijk Horeca Nederland is the Dutch trade association for the hotel and catering industry.[2]
This sector is one of the fastest growing in Europe. In 2004 more than 7.8 million people were employed[3] and the sector generated more than 338 billion turnover.[4] Jobs tend to be temporary, with irregular hours, low pay and few career prospects. There is a high proportion of young people working in the sector.

Horeca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, Mystic juice...that takes me back. I'm from the DC area and I used to drink that all the time in the early 90s. Also, my mom has a scar like that from her appendix rupturing in the early 80s. They made a full cut down like that.

Didn't someone say the scar was a possible C section? Every C section scar I've ever seen was across the low belly where the uterus is not up and down. Now my dad has a scar just like that from his surgery on his colon, intestines, stomach and liver due to a HUGE malignant tumor that went undetected for years (but that's a story for another day). At first that scar was like raised but as time went on it like sunk into his skin. They even avoided cutting the belly button as well.
So maybe that was the reason for the DNR. She had rampant cancer. My dad has a dnr, but he chose to do chemo do now he's cancer free. Btw, my dad is 73 and this happened last year.

I believe her Doenetwork page says it's "possibly" a C-section scar. I agree with you, though. It's going in the opposite direction.

Glad your dad is doing better!

Wow, Mystic juice...that takes me back. I'm from the DC area and I used to drink that all the time in the early 90s. Also, my mom has a scar like that from her appendix rupturing in the early 80s. They made a full cut down like that.

Yes, now that you mention it, I have a friend with a vertical scar like that from exploratory surgery (she had sepsis and they were worried her appendix had burst).

I would call it a midline incision:

Deciding the right type of surgical incision is extremely important.
The ideal incision allows:
ease of access to the desired structures
can be extended if needed
ideally muscles should be split rather than cut
heals quickly with minimal scarring
aesthetically pleasing

It is also important that incisions are placed in the direction of lines of cleavage of the skin (Langer's lines) so that a hairline scar is the outcome. These lines correspond to the direction of collagen fibres in the dermis and epidermis.

Incisions should also be placed as far as possible from stoma sites in order to avoid interfering with the stoma site and causing complications such as retraction and prolapse of the stoma.

Surgical incisions on the abdomen can be divided into transverse, vertical and oblique incisions.

Vertical incision 1: Midline incision

Use: Virtually all abdominal procedures may be performed through this incision.
Location: in the midline of the abdomen, and can extend from the xiphoid process to just above the umbilicus. It can be continued to below the umbilicus by curving the incision around the umbilicus.

Layers of the abdominal wall: skin, fascia (camper's and scarpa's), linea alba, transversalis fascia, extraperitoneal fat and peritoneum.

Midline abdominal scar
Advantages
Adequate exposure of most if not all of the abdominal viscera
Minimal blood loss as the incision is through the linea alba
Minimal nerve injury
Minimal muscle injury
Can be quickly made, such as in an emergency and quickly closed with a mass closure technique

Disadvantages
Care needs to be taken just above the umbilicus where the falciform ligament is
Midline scar

http://www.fastbleep.com/medical-notes/surgery/8/8/37

"Classical cesarean sections" used to have vertical incisions. I think that now they only do them in cases of fetal distress. Google it though; based on the pictures etc you get the impression it's really not uncommon.

I have enclosed several photographs of the woman, which were taken shortly after she was found.

Astrid, do you have the other photos of her or just the one?

Some time back before this latest flurry of effort on her case, I suggested that the recon bore some resemblance to Magdalena Chindris, missing from Italy in June 1995 after what appeared to be a failed suicide attempt.

Could someone who has access to the Doe's morgue photos please do a visual check to see if they are similar?

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1770dfita.html

Here is some information about the area of Belgium where the trifocals originated.

In her property, there was a pair of tri-focal prescription glasses made by CSL, which Ellen Leach at Porchlight found to be from Centre Spatial de Liège, Université de Liège, Av. du Pré-Aily, 4031 Angleur, Belgium.

Angleur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Université_de_Liège

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liège_Space_Center (very interesting! I think the glasses are a good lead)

Some time back before this latest flurry of effort on her case, I suggested that the recon bore some resemblance to Magdalena Chindris, missing from Italy in June 1995 after what appeared to be a failed suicide attempt.

Could someone who has access to the Doe's morgue photos please do a visual check to see if they are similar?

My opinion is that Jane looks older and heavier than Magdalena and the nose (and hair color) is quite different. I do see similarities in the face shape and mouth, but it's hard to tell because JD looks much heavier to me. Will be interested to see what others think.

Mag's nose is wayyy too bulbous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads