Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem 245UFVA, ~60, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the reason I'm pursuing the various methods of death is because if this would turn out to be a homicide then the most likely suspect would be a family member or acquaintance which COULD potentially lead us to the identity of Jane Doe.

Huh? How do we know who her family is before we find out who she is? I think I'm missing something.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/245ufva.html

Unidentified White Female

* Discovered on December 18, 1996 in Annandale, Fairfax County, Virginia.
* Estimated Date of Death: December 17, 1996
* Cause of death was suicide

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 60 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"; 157 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Auburn/red, curly hair. She had an 8 inch scar on her abdomen, probably from C-section. Fingernails painted red.
* Dentals: Dental chart is available.
* Clothing: Teal, all weather Eddie Baur hooded jacket, (size M). Navy blue Classiques Entier sweater (size L); red Classiques Entier sweater (size XL), red Classiques Entier sleeveless silk shirt (size Petite L), navy blue Classiques Entier knit wool pants (size L). Black loafers (size 7M), knee high stockings, white support bra, white "Fruite of the Loom" underpants (size 6). Her clothes may have come from an upscale store such as Saks Fifth Avenue. She also had a green knapsack.
* Jewelry: She wore bifocals with translucent frames, two clip-on earrings, a small gold women's Guess watch with mesh band and a 14 karat gold ring with 4 jade stones, a metal bead chain with medic alert "NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin."
* Other: Fingerprints/DNA available

Case History
This unidentified woman committed suicide on December 18, 1996. She left two 50$ bills one for the coroner and one for the cemetery with the same typed note:
Deceased by own hand...prefer no autopsy. Please order cremation with funds provided. Thank you, Jane Doe
She was located inside Pleasant Valley Memorial Park, a small cemetery in Annandale, Virginia. There was a clear plastic sheet on the ground. Next to the sheet was an 8" Christmas tree, adorned with gold balls and red ribbons.
In addition to drinking brandy (she had a 0.14 blood-alcohol level) and swallowing Valium, the victim had two empty juice bottles and a new roll of masking tape in her knapsack. She had no receipts in her pockets to enable police to trace her movements. She had a portable tape player, the headphones over her ears and had listened to a recording of comedians Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner doing their "2000 year old man" routine. She had placed a plastic bag over her head and tied it off with tape. This made her suffocate.
The site she chose, Pleasant Valley, probably wouldn't be known to a drifter. She lay down near the section of the cemetery where infants are buried, but not near any particular grave, and most of the stones nearby were fairly recent.

Bumping with Doe details.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/245ufva.htm

l245UFVA1.jpg

View attachment 78610

Possible? Cannot recall if Dianne Roy has previously been suggested.

http://www.missingadults.ca/viewMAc...d=wkruripl&&CurCase=249&StartAt=246&EndAt=272

"ROY, Carole Dianne
Case : ON-MF-1996-10-01502
Date Of Disappearance : 01 October 1996
Additional Images
Location Of Disappearance : Carleton Place, Ontario
Age At Disappearance : 43 years
Height (estimate) : 165 cm (5'4")
Weight (estimate) : 68 - 79 kg (149 - 174 lbs)
Hair Colour : Brown
– brown with grey, worn short
Eye Colour : Brown
Race : Caucasian
Dental Information :
Teeth – partial dentures
Medical Information :
Vision – blind in left eye
Glasses – wears thick large glasses
Notable Identifiers :
Arm – paralyzed; unable to use
Complexion – light/fair"

The glasses look similar, but she would be way too young and she has partial dentures.

We don't. I mean, it would still have to be investigated. What I meant was that if -- in pursuing the cause of death as Homicide -- any leads are uncovered that would direct us toward a specific individual (example: similar patterns, identification of one of the items on-scene as being associated with a specific individual, finding a relative of one of the nearby graves...whatever it might be), that person could be researched/investigated to see if there was a connection to this Jane Doe. They might turn out to be relatives or acquaintances, or connected in some other way. Or not at all. Just that in most cases, killers are not strangers they are family or friends or lovers.

In other words, I'm just trying to tug on whatever parts of this mystery I can (considering all theories) and from any possible point hoping that I'll find a spot where it begins to unravel.

Huh? How do we know who her family is before we find out who she is? I think I'm missing something.

Ok...I know this is probably a stretch because of the 2 year difference but here's why I'm posting this missing person for our Jane Doe...
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/medlin_sharon.ht

What fits: Age, height, hair color, glasses, nose, eyebrows, face shape, scars on abdomen. Also, Greer, SC is only 3 hours and 19 minutes away from the cemetery location; the jane doe had on a jade ring-that is a stone for Aries and that's what Sharon is/was; Jade is a "healing" stone.

Let me know what you think and maybe if there could be, (long shot I know...), a date discrepancy.
Gracias, ya'all....

Ok...I know this is probably a stretch because of the 2 year difference but here's why I'm posting this missing person for our Jane Doe...
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/medlin_sharon.ht

What fits: Age, height, hair color, glasses, nose, eyebrows, face shape, scars on abdomen. Also, Greer, SC is only 3 hours and 19 minutes away from the cemetery location; the jane doe had on a jade ring-that is a stone for Aries and that's what Sharon is/was; Jade is a "healing" stone.

Let me know what you think and maybe if there could be, (long shot I know...), a date discrepancy.
Gracias, ya'all....

I have a hard time getting past that two-year discrepancy. Also, I've seen the postmortem pics on Annandale Doe and Sharon looks much younger to me.

Add an "ml" to the end of the link (so it ends with .html)--

Well duh. Thanks. I didn't notice that it was incomplete.

The resemblance is closer than I thought, especially through the nose and eyebrows, and chin. Stats match. She's youngish, but she's at the bottom edge of the 50-70 age range estimate.

Ordinarily the two-year gap wouldn't bother me, since a person can wander, live on the road, stop somewhere and try to make a second life, etc. But it does sound like she probably met with foul play that night.

So I dunno...

Attachments

• annandale JD with Medlin.png
    annandale JD with Medlin.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 166
It's a time gap in the other direction though. Sharon Medlin went missing two years after Jane Doe was found.

It's a time gap in the other direction though. Sharon Medlin went missing two years after Jane Doe was found.

Boy, I am not firing on all cylinders just now...yeah, I don't see any way around that.

Did I ever post the pictures? I can't remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://imgur.com/a/U07I8 POST MORTEM PHOTO, plus extra photos of the belongings and abdomen scar.

Also, from the detective working the case at the time:

"herry Dedrick in San Francisco was not identified or excluded. The PD no longer has a file on the case and there aren't any fingerprints or dental records for her as far as we can tell.
The DNR pendant outcome is equally unsatisfying. Apparently, many states require a form and a doctor's authorization, but many other jurisdictions don't have such laws. Virginia has had a program since the early 1990's, but the Dept. of Health does not keep any records of who gets them. The pendants that are sold now have the doctor's name and address/telephone number. This one did not have anything else engraved on it. A Hospital DNR is a plastic bracelet as were Virginia's early products. We don't think this one came from Virginia or their vendors, one of whom you found on the Internet. The other was very helpful, but did not recognize it. As to its origin, it is probably an old one she obtained in any number of unknown ways. I have enclosed a photograph of it for you, since it no longer exists. Our ME took a photo and I learned she was cremated with it on her. I suspect she was hooked into the Hemlock Society because she appeared to be using the book I mentioned earlier. The Hemlock Society probably is able to provide such things to people or provide vendor's names.
I don't believe this person is local with all the publicity the case has gotten over the years. She may have been associated with the area at one time and knew about the cemetery."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, having now seen the post mortem photo I've certainly got faith in the depictions I've seen - very close. Struggling for anything concrete to add or suggest though, unfortunately.

Strange how I was thinking of our Christmas Tree Lady tonight and then realized it's been another year since she died. This is so O/T, but she popped into my head last night when I was watching American Horror Story: Hotel. Kathy Bates plays a character who reminds me a little of how I imagine Annandale Doe; she even has similar glasses! In last night's episode, she contemplates suicide because her son doesn't love her and she thinks nobody will miss her. She has no real friends outside of work. It's just a silly TV show, but the basic similarities struck me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487