GUILTY VA - Ashanti Billie, 19, found deceased, Virginia Beach, 18 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The 19-year-old Maryland native was found dead in Charlotte, North Carolina late in September, two weeks after Billie and her Mini Cooper left Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek and disappeared. Security footage showed her car leaving the base around 5:30 am on September 18.

Billie, an employee at the Blimpie restaurant on base, was scheduled to open the restaurant that morning. Investigators confirmed Billie never made it inside the building.

Around 5:40 a.m., a home surveillance camera in the 2100 block of Tallyho Terrace caught someone getting out of Billie's car.
http://www.13newsnow.com/news/local...nti-billies-car-day-she-disappeared/486599534

The car didn't go to Charlotte. It was dumped 10 mins after leaving the base. Without Ashanti in it at that point.

I am beginning to think she was carjacked. The killer(s) had to get off base quickly for some reason. He/They put her in the trunk or had a weapon. They got lucky to be in a spot with no cameras on base.

She tried to get her phone in the car to call for help and they took it and immediately threw it away in the nearest place.

They dumped her car within minutes and got in their own, but they still had their kidnap victim to deal with.

How she died is a mystery but it could have been because she could identify her captors (oldest story there is).

They could have driven her body to Charlotte at leisure later in their own car. They dumped her in a convenient quiet spot, probably after investigating many.

(I keep saying they because I feel like it was more than one person.)

Everything about this points to an anonymous crime of opportunity. I don't think she knew them or they her.

I'm a Charlotte native and I live about 10 miles or so from this church. It's not very secluded, but pretty wide and on a decent sized lot (for Charlotte). Meaning someone could easily park their car behind it near the dumpster without being noticed. It's really not in the best part of town, but not exactly a crime hub either.

It's also worth noting that it's very close to interstate exits. If someone were driving down i-77, it's definitely plausable that they chose a random exit, then cruised around looking for a quiet place to dispose of the body. They wouldn't have had to drive far.

On another note, and I apologize if this has already been hashed out (I've only skimmed the thread so far), but how do we feel about her arriving to work at the wrong time, interrupting something she shouldn't have? Granted, on a military base? And why all the musical cars? Why not just leave her car parked there if whoever had a ride of their own? This one is a head scratcher!

And yes, this one is a head scratcher -- why the drive to Charlotte unless Ashanti and the other person agreed to go there? Is that a possibility? I just can't wrap my head around a kidnapping, murder, and a trip to Charlotte with a dead or dying person, in a "known" vehicle.

Thanks for the good info on the church -- I think we all wondered about the reasoning behind that particular place to leave the body. I have tried to find the church, but I cannot locate it. Would you be so kind as to tell me the street where that church is located? I just need to see it to fill in my perspective of this sad, sad situation. Thanks in advance! :)

And one more thang:

:Welcome1:to Websleuths, Kpossible!! We're glad you're here!!

:cheer::cheer:

And yes, this one is a head scratcher -- why the drive to Charlotte unless Ashanti and the other person agreed to go there? Is that a possibility? I just can't wrap my head around a kidnapping, murder, and a trip to Charlotte with a dead or dying person, in a "known" vehicle.

Thanks for the good info on the church -- I think we all wondered about the reasoning behind that particular place to leave the body. I have tried to find the church, but I cannot locate it. Would you be so kind as to tell me the street where that church is located? I just need to see it to fill in my perspective of this sad, sad situation. Thanks in advance! :)

And one more thang:

:Welcome1:to Websleuths, Kpossible!! We're glad you're here!!

:cheer::cheer:
I'm starting to wonder if there were two people involved. One went one way with Ashanti in his vehicle and the other was told to get rid of the cell phone, then the car. Then they met up and made the trip to NC in perps' vehicle?

bbm

I think the person is scared he will be caught, and is in a panic -- if so, this would indicate that that the taking of Ashanti was a crime of opportunity, and it involved very little thought or planning ahead of time.
  • Traveling in her car -- bad idea
  • Walking over to a dumpster in front of a camera that he prolly didn't know about -- bad idea
  • Not turning off the phone -- bad idea
  • Having a body/live captive in a car not your own & with no permission to drive it -- bad ideas
  • Driving all the way to Charlotte, NC, in that car, with a body/live captive -- bad ideas
  • Driving all the way back from Charlotte, NC, in what could be classified as a stolen vehicle -- bad idea

Panic, stress, etc., unless she was a willing partner (very doubtful, IMO) -- this person was good enuf to get away with it so far... but we'll have to wait until we see how it ends

The trip to Charlotte just doesn't make sense -- why, why, why -- unless she was willing, and then something terrible happened. Diabetic crisis & death? What happened to our Ashanti?

Good points, but things aren't adding up. A panicked person who just killed her at the scene, wouldn't take her car or wouldn't even put her in the car. He would just run from the scene. Unless he is planning on hiding her body and the evidence of murder. But there are so many places to dump her body without ANY chance of someone seeing you between Norfolk and Charlotte. Why behind a church? is probably over 100 feet from the car. There would be a lot of transference of DNA There is a connection between the perp and Ashanti. Making evidence visible seems to be his conscious trying to get him caught. This crime seems NECESSARY in the perps mind, rather than desired. Her death is a means to an end. He is battling himself.

Also, if she was willing, she would be visible in the vehicle, in the surveillance video. And what sense does it make to let the man throw her phone away for her? Keep in mind that at that point there is no crime committed if she was along voluntarily. Also, why wasn't she driving? There would be other evidence pointing to her leaving. Bags packed,etc..

I just realized that the perp probably dumped the phone while on, so that the GPS would identify her in the area, because he already knew he was taking her far away. I'm not sure why the police believe he took her car to Charlotte, if it was seen the same day parked in Ocean View, but I guess I'm missing something, but why did he drive all the way there and then choose to dump the car, with the windows open, at that particular location? Where did he go from there? He MOST LIKELY lived on base, so how did he get back? A long walk? Uber? Cab? Bus? It's a tricky bus ride because several buses pass by there but only one goes to the base. Did he call a friend to pick him up? It must have been during sleeping hours that he dumped the car, so no one would see him. Seems like a cab would be the best option then. So the cops should be able to inquire with the cab company about that.

http://www.13newsnow.com/news/local...nti-billies-car-day-she-disappeared/486599534

The car didn't go to Charlotte. It was dumped 10 mins after leaving the base. Without Ashanti in it at that point.

Now that makes a lot more sense -- it does indicate that her disappearance was more than likely an abduction. Was she alive when the car was abandoned? Is there a 2nd person in this deal? Seems like it would be difficult for one person to handle this car thing -- if Ashanti was not a willing participant at the time. Please know that I am not casting aspersions or blaming Ashanti -- I'm just trying to apply some logical series of events in this whole thing. Logic is hard to muster in these type cases -- it's tuff to try to think like a killer, I'm glad to say.

But it does not answer the question, "Why Charlotte, NC?" SMH

Interesting that there is so much talk of video showing her car entering Gate 3 at 4:44, then leaving at 4:47 then entering gate 1 at 5:00 then leaving (gate 1?) at 5:30ish but there has been only ONE video dispersed to the public - that I have found - and that is the exit at gate 3 at 4:47. Why can't we see the other 3 videos?

Also interesting that Blimpie is right by gate 1 and going through gate 3 is not the popular route. Gate 3 is not even on Google Maps. Maybe she would do that to avoid the gate traffic at gate 1, which is probably a more popular gate. Also the route from 4400 block of Bonney Rd is completely different to gate 3 rather than gate 1. You would take the interstate to get to gate 1, and drive up Independence Blvd to get to gate 3. I guess she got to know the area pretty quick.

Now that makes a lot more sense -- it does indicate that her disappearance was more than likely an abduction. Was she alive when the car was abandoned? Is there a 2nd person in this deal? Seems like it would be difficult for one person to handle this car thing -- if Ashanti was not a willing participant at the time. Please know that I am not casting aspersions or blaming Ashanti -- I'm just trying to apply some logical series of events in this whole thing. Logic is hard to muster in these type cases -- it's tuff to try to think like a killer, I'm glad to say.

But it does not answer the question, "Why Charlotte, NC?" SMH

My mistake, sorry. I thought the car and phone were found close by each other. See below.

The car wasn't dumped at Tallyho Terrace, but was found across town in a different neighborhood (Lakeside Drive in Ocean View). The cell phone was dumped in the dumpster on Tallyho Terrace, which is what we are seeing in the video).

I'm starting to wonder if there were two people involved. One went one way with Ashanti in his vehicle and the other was told to get rid of the cell phone, then the car. Then they met up and made the trip to NC in perps' vehicle?

Same here, Nanceedroo (girl detective from River Heights). With two cars involved, it would get tricky for just one person.

I have been a websleuth visitor for many years and figure it's time to participate. I made one other post a while back.

After scouring over the video footage of the person seen driving, exiting, and re-entering Ashanti's car, it appears to be a man wearing a light-colored (white or off white) short sleeved shirt and pants. Though the footage is grainy, I could see the skin on his right arm when he was tossing the phone into the dumpster. From what I can assess, he has light skin and looks to have a slim build. I believe it was a crime of opportunity causing him to make rash decisions. I'm sure the professionals have already thought of my basic investigative ideas, but they should be looking into people on the base who report to work during that timeframe in the vicinity of where Ashanti would have parked and also, anyone who may have been late for work that morning or didn't report to work at all. Who would be on a military base at 4 something in the morning for no reason? In my opionion, he was clearly there for a job. Also, the perpetrator would have had to find a way back on base for their originally intended purpose unless he didn't return that day; in which case, it may be easier to narrow down the POI list. Like others have stated, I'm stumped on the trip to North Carolina. It makes no sense to drive all that way and leave her in a location where she would likely be found. It's possible the killer may have had to drive there for another reason, i.e., work-related event, or he is from the Charlotte area and felt the urge to go home or a place of comfort after committing such a horrendous crime.

I think the placement of the body is too intentional to be random. I don't get a carjacking or other crime of opportunity when she never made it inside the business and the car was dumped, perhaps immediately. Two suspects makes it even less random. It makes no sense unless it was a message (perhaps a mistaken message), either to her or gang-related. I'd go back to her roommates & recent contacts.

Has COD been released?

In the dumpster video, when the perp is moving away from the car and walking next to the dumpster (especially the far half of the dumpster), when I pause the video at various frames, it sometimes looks like there is dark horizontal band across the back of his shirt about midway from top to bottom. Could be a work uniform, sports team gear, or some other design. Pausing at various frames also makes me think he's wearing shorts.

Is it possible ashanti was hidden on the base and moved at a later date?

I have been a websleuth visitor for many years and figure it's time to participate. I made one other post a while back.

After scouring over the video footage of the person seen driving, exiting, and re-entering Ashanti's car, it appears to be a man wearing a light-colored (white or off white) short sleeved shirt and pants. Though the footage is grainy, I could see the skin on his right arm when he was tossing the phone into the dumpster. From what I can assess, he has light skin and looks to have a slim build. I believe it was a crime of opportunity causing him to make rash decisions. I'm sure the professionals have already thought of my basic investigative ideas, but they should be looking into people on the base who report to work during that timeframe in the vicinity of where Ashanti would have parked and also, anyone who may have been late for work that morning or didn't report to work at all. Who would be on a military base at 4 something in the morning for no reason? In my opionion, he was clearly there for a job. Also, the perpetrator would have had to find a way back on base for their originally intended purpose unless he didn't return that day; in which case, it may be easier to narrow down the POI list. Like others have stated, I'm stumped on the trip to North Carolina. It makes no sense to drive all that way and leave her in a location where she would likely be found. It's possible the killer may have had to drive there for another reason, i.e., work-related event, or he is from the Charlotte area and felt the urge to go home or a place of comfort after committing such a horrendous crime.

Good thought about there being a reason the perp needed to go to NC. And maybe he was on a timeline. Trucker or other transport job? Somebody that stayed on the base that night. There is an army base near Charlotte.

I think the placement of the body is too intentional to be random. I don't get a carjacking or other crime of opportunity when she never made it inside the business and the car was dumped, perhaps immediately. Two suspects makes it even less random. It makes no sense unless it was a message (perhaps a mistaken message), either to her or gang-related. I'd go back to her roommates & recent contacts.

Has COD been released?

Being that it occurred on a military base at 5 something on a Monday morning, I don't believe it's gang related. Of course, I could be totally wrong. If by chance it was, based on what we have learned about Ashanti, she doesn't seem like she would have been a participant in that type of activity. You may be saying that she happened upon gang activity. Due to the time and location, I'm inclined to believe that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and crossed paths with an evil person who took advantage of the opportunity. Though I thought the same thing at first, I don't think the roommates had anything to do with it. That would entail that something had already happened to her prior to her car being driven on base. It wouldn't make sense to drive her car on base through one gate and make the effort to drive back on through another gate after being turned away due to an accident only to leave in said car 30 mins later. Admittedly, stranger things have happened though.

or he is from the Charlotte area and felt the urge to go home or a place of comfort after committing such a horrendous crime.
All good points you brought up, but especially the above one. I would start checking the church membership rolls/visitor lists. Could be the perp's ACTUAL church, childhood church/family church.
JMOO

I think there are just too many missing pieces right now to try to formulate a workable theory. My hope is that the Feds can enhance that home surveillance video (I know crime solving isn't like it is on tv- still, they have the best equipment), well enough to get an image of the face. All it would take is a video from a gas station or convenience store on way to or from NC that is a match to this SOB, to get the ball rolling.

In this day of video surveillance/dashcams, etc. it will become harder and harder to get away with a crime. It's just a matter of TIME.

#justice4ashanti

Being that it occurred on a military base at 5 something on a Monday morning, I don't believe it's gang related. Of course, I could be totally wrong. If by chance it was, based on what we have learned about Ashanti, she doesn't seem like she would have been a participant in that type of activity. You may be saying that she happened upon gang activity. Due to the time and location, I'm inclined to believe that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and crossed paths with an evil person who took advantage of the opportunity. Though I thought the same thing at first, I don't think the roommates had anything to do with it. That would entail that something had already happened to her prior to her car being driven on base. It wouldn't make sense to drive her car on base through one gate and make the effort to drive back on through another gate after being turned away due to an accident only to leave in said car 30 mins later. Admittedly, stranger things have happened though.

I don't get the vibe that she was involved in gang activities or drugs. Having to report to work at 5:00 am for a job that she, by all accounts, loved, seems incompatible with addiction or criminality, as does her background. Although I'm often reminded that we very often don't know about the secret lives of others until it's too late, it's just not the vibe here.

I also don't see this as a random carjacking. We haven't heard of any other crimes (not a carjacking as a getaway vehicle). Her mini-cooper is super-cute, but I'm not sure it would top-of-list target for carjacking for auto value (plus, it seems to have been dumped quickly). I think she was the target. Her death may have been 'accidental,' but then why drive to Charlotte to leave the body in an area where the perpetrator(s) would know it would be found relatively quickly? Even if this was someone not known to her, it seems that it had to be someone who targeted her for some reason.

Strange, tragic case. I really hope LE has some good tracks to follow. If Ashanti was the first victim for this person(s), she won't be the last.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back