VA - Couple & two teens found murdered, Farmville, 15 Sept 2009 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see the DA going for anything less.

As far as the defense...

To avoid this outcome I think Sam's attorney needs nothing less than a Perry Mason style defense...he needs to find the "real" murderer and show Sam was set up.

Or maybe he'll try to show some form of diminished capacity or that Sam was a pawn in a Manson-esque cult as one blogger suggested.

I can't see this attorney trying the demonic possession defense as much as that would amuse me.

Otherwise I don't see how Sam gets only 10-20 years as he wrote in that letter.

Maybe his attorney meant 10-20 for each murder? I'd be interested to hear what the lawyers in the house think about a plea bargain for a minimum of 40 years to take the death penalty out of the equation.

Maybe they meant 10-20 years in a Mental Institution?? I would think they would try to go that route.. seems it would be the only way to keep him alive in the good old Commonwealth.

You call that a troll? That's not a troll...THIS is a troll:

fremont-troll-seattle.jpg

(Yes that is a Crocodile Dundee reference)

Indeed that is a very nice troll, up there in Seattle. I've held court with that particular troll myself. Is that you DM? Pretty cool story about how that came about. For those who haven't been there the VW bug in his left hand is an actual, real, VW bug.

Mistakes???

A mistake is writing 2009 on your check instead of 2010. Premeditatedly killing four people is not simply a "mistake".

Well, not simply. More like a BIG mistake. I'm just guessing but, in hindsight, Sam probably would agree it was a bad idea. Probably wishes maybe he hadn't done it.

I agree with Pax that most of us are capable of murder. I am pretty certain I myself could do it in self defense. This example, of course, is in stark contrast to a senseless mass bludgeoning of innocent people but it still would be murder nonetheless. It would be brutal, violent, and bloody.

Indeed that is a very nice troll, up there in Seattle. I've held court with that particular troll myself. Is that you DM? Pretty cool story about how that came about. For those who haven't been there the VW bug in his left hand is an actual, real, VW bug.

Not me, just some other random bald dude.

I've been to the troll though and I used to go up to Seattle a couple times a year on business. I was by myself so there are no incriminating photographs however.

Well, not simply. More like a BIG mistake. I'm just guessing but, in hindsight, Sam probably would agree it was a bad idea. Probably wishes maybe he hadn't done it.

I agree with Pax that most of us are capable of murder. I am pretty certain I myself could do it in self defense. This example, of course, is in stark contrast to a senseless mass bludgeoning of innocent people but it still would be murder nonetheless. It would be brutal, violent, and bloody.

We've all done things we later wish we hadn't. There's not much point to dwelling on it.

However that doesn't mean someone can simply escape the consequences of their actions. That's just karma, cause and effect, and it's a *****.

...I agree...I agree with karma and consequences but I definetely also agree that we are all capable to "snap"...and not just because of self defense...that's exactly what I'm interested in and what keeps me addicted to these threads...at one point all of the people that snapped were just like you and me and you and you ....i completely believe we're all capable and I'm interested in how and when we could "snap" and how to prevent it...

We've all done things we later wish we hadn't. There's not much point to dwelling on it.

However that doesn't mean someone can simply escape the consequences of their actions. That's just karma, cause and effect, and it's a *****.

Yep. Very true. Whether you want to call it a "mistake" or not is merely a matter of semantics. The bottom line is cold blooded murder committed by a mind in deep turmoil.

...I agree...I agree with karma and consequences but I definetely also agree that we are all capable to "snap"...and not just because of self defense...that's exactly what I'm interested in and what keeps me addicted to these threads...at one point all of the people that snapped were just like you and me and you and you ....i completely believe we're all capable and I'm interested in how and when we could "snap" and how to prevent it...

(CNN) -- A University of Georgia professor shot and killed his wife and two other adults in Athens, Georgia, in late April, according to police. A U.S. soldier fired on fellow troops in early May at a counseling center at a base outside Baghdad, Iraq, killing five comrades, according to authorities.

After fantasizing about killing, a person may begin planning an attack and obtain weapons, experts say.

While the full stories behind these particular shootings remain unknown, psychiatrists do have some sense of why some people "snap" and become violent.

In fact, although a person's snap into violence may come as a total surprise, in most cases there is a psychological buildup to that point, said Dr. Peter Ash, director of the Psychiatry and Law Service at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.

"There's a pathway to violence that starts with some thinking and then fantasizing about a plan," he said. "There may be a more explicit planning phase that other people don't particularly notice."

The fantasy of killing others may turn into intention, leading the person to track victims and obtain weapons, Ash said.

The psychological buildup to a violent outburst with the intent to kill usually takes a minimum of a few days, said Dr. Lyle Rossiter, a forensic psychiatrist in Saint Charles, Illinois. However, in highly unusual cases, a person with bipolar disorder could experience a buildup of only hours, he said.

A person who has already decided to kill someone else may develop an "eerie composure," firmly believing that the moment to turn back has passed, said Dr. Charles Raison, a psychiatrist and director of the Mind/Body Institute at Emory University.

Despite the planning during the buildup, experts have found that a perpetrator often cannot recall particulars about the moment of the attack. "You would think they would give it a lot of thought, but sometimes they go into a somewhat dissociated state where their feelings are really kind of split off from what they're doing," Ash said. "They may even experience it as if they went on autopilot."

From http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/26/snap.moments/index.html

I don't know the "experts" make it look so predictable...if it was so predictible it shouldn't even happen...I don't believe it's just people with bi polar or any other mental disorders that can snap within hours,I believe the 'psychological build up" could happen completely unconsciously eg maybe in sam's case the mom cheating and then leaving the family....maybe he was using his "art" horrorcore subconsciously to deal with his feelings,never realizing the urge to kill was far too real....

Ooooh Snap!

[video=youtube;tRwgE23kF30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwgE23kF30[/video]

Oh hey Sizzle...why do I have a hunch you are Liz M?

Anyway, I think Sam's gotta pay for what he did, but that won't deter me from looking at the facts when they all come out, as to what his family life was like and what may have caused Sam to be a cold-blooded killer, if indeed, that is how it went down. Kids can have it pretty rough these days and I will feel compassion for him, but I also know that as bad as Sam had it, or may have had it; there are many more who've had it WORSE and they did not end up like Sam.

There is much information missing so at this time I'd say he belongs where he is, but getting a few books doesn't bother me at all and I'm usually a hard *advertiser censored* on that kind of stuff. For some unknown reason, Sam tweaks my pity nerve a little bit. As facts emerge, however that could disappear very quickly!

Was there an SKR influence? That will be even more interesting to me and I hope LE has not dropped the ball on investigating that angle.

And P.S. to Liz: your profile pic of little Caylee is only there to further sales of your new CD with the song about her on one of the tracks. Way to use a popular case in the media to try and get attention for your pathetic attempt at rap with the ghetto enunciation of Katie Couric, for Gawd's sake. Here's the knee slapper though, many of your "fans" will finally grow up, get a clue and leave and the ones that don't won't amount to enough in this world to afford to support your 'art'. Funny huh?

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=retarded
"•S: (adj) retarded (relatively slow in mental or emotional or physical development)

Regardless of the dictionary definition of a term, there is something called "connotation." Look that up. But meanwhile:

If a group and their advocates hold in disfavor a word used to describe them, then out of respect the civilized person does not use that term. For example, disabled people generally deplore the word cripple, and so we would not, I wouldn't think, persist in calling them "cripples." The same then for retarded. Unless... you think these are people who are undeserving of respect, in which case, that is more about you than them.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/supreme/536/304.pdf
"Petitioner Atkins was convicted of capital murder and related crimes by a
Virginia jury and sentenced to death. Affirming, the Virginia Supreme
Court relied on Penry v. Lynaugh, 492 U. S. 302, in rejecting Atkins’
contention that he could not be sentenced to death because he is mentally
retarded."

Where did I say anything about making money. What is your interest in being a member of websleuths? You enjoy reading about these cases I assume? Whats the difference?

We have been on this case since day one and many of us here have become good friends and we are having conversations accordingly, youre free to join in but I dont appreciate people coming in here insulting others right off the bat.
You are going to write a book and not get paid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx