VA - Couple & two teens found murdered, Farmville, 15 Sept 2009 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All excellent choices, if Sam were to actually apply himself and read these books he would certainly learn a lot about himself and his place in the world in relation to others around him.

Also we cant overlook The Catcher In The Rye, I think that is one of the most important reads for a kid his age.

If he wanted something fun and more dramatic he could always go with Alas, Babylon, a terrific book about life after nuclear holocaust.

Its good to see so many readers here with such good classical taste!

Indeed I welcome any and all book suggestions by this gang here. Much of the stuff listed above I read when younger and trying to "find" myself. I am, of course, still on that neverending journey of self-discovery. Nine Stories, by Salinger, is a good read too. Oh. . . and don't get me started on how amazing Henry Miller is. . .just go get some and read it.

I have seen all the Dexter shows but have not read the books yet. But, in terms of Crime Fiction I recommend, with reservations, American Pyscho by Bret Easton Ellis. It is well written but is an extremely graphic tale of a serial killer told in the first person. It is, most definately, not for the squeamish. There have been attempts to ban this book in some towns and countries.

Put No Angel on hold at our library.
Loved Siddhartha
Loved The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Loved the Carlos Castaneda book about peyote
Enjoyed book one of Dexter
Read, but didn't 'get' Jonathan Livingston Seagull ... I thought he died.

Old ladies read, too!

One of the heaviest books, and the one that has stayed on my mind 30+ years later, is Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" about the end of humans due to nuclear weapons. But it's presented from a very personal point of view and I've never forgotten it. Well worth a read.

Indeed I welcome any and all book suggestions by this gang here. Much of the stuff listed above I read when younger and trying to "find" myself. I am, of course, still on that neverending journey of self-discovery. Nine Stories, by Salinger, is a good read too. Oh. . . and don't get me started on how amazing Henry Miller is. . .just go get some and read it.

I have seen all the Dexter shows but have not read the books yet. But, in terms of Crime Fiction I recommend, with reservations, American Pyscho by Bret Easton Ellis. It is well written but is an extremely graphic tale of a serial killer told in the first person. It is, most definately, not for the squeamish. There have been attempts to ban this book in some towns and countries.

Oh man Henry Miller is likely one of the most underappreciated American novelists of all time, I own all three of his big ones Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn and Black Spring. They might be a little too hot and heavy for Sam right off the bat but he would do well to add those in to his reading rotation after reading some of the others listed. Miller is another one who had a real effect on my life. He and Hemingway both really had a special way with words that few if any ever matched.

Put No Angel on hold at our library.
Loved Siddhartha
Loved The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Loved the Carlos Castaneda book about peyote
Enjoyed book one of Dexter
Read, but didn't 'get' Jonathan Livingston Seagull ... I thought he died.

Old ladies read, too!

You WILL NOT be disapointed with NO ANGEL, let me know when you get to it and we can talk some about it, it is a fantastic book and a real and authentic look at the life of a DEEP COVER DEA AGENT riding for two years as a undercover cop and patched in member of the Hells Angels. He got in so deep that he was actually hand picked to pull guard duty outside of SONNY BARGER'S HOME. Sonny is the grandaddy and FOUNDER of the HA. I cant say enough good things about that book.

I saw the film American Psycho and it was OK but I understand the book is much, much better, I think I will make that my next reading project in fact. I can see how, from the film, that it would be a very good story on paper.

One of the heaviest books, and the one that has stayed on my mind 30+ years later, is Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" about the end of humans due to nuclear weapons. But it's presented from a very personal point of view and I've never forgotten it. Well worth a read.

Havent read that one but will grab it for sure. That is exactly what Alas, Babylon is like, if you havent read that one you should.

Who can forget RED DAWN, that was THE FILM when I was a kid. I dont think that was a book just a screenplay but I understand that they are remaking it as we speak but it wont be Russians but rather Islamic Terrorists that they fight.

I saw the film American Psycho and it was OK but I understand the book is much, much better, I think I will make that my next reading project in fact. I can see how, from the film, that it would be a very good story on paper.

The film, in my opinion, was so-so at best. I read the book a million years ago right after it came out. Headlines about banning it grabbed my attention so I had to read it. Very intense. When you finish reading it you wonder if the author didn't actually go out and kill some people. Certainly he did his homework on the damage certain types of brutal crime inflict on a body. He also wrote Less Than Zero, which I also recommend.

The film, in my opinion, was so-so at best. I read the book a million years ago right after it came out. Headlines about banning it grabbed my attention so I had to read it. Very intense. When you finish reading it you wonder if the author didn't actually go out and kill some people. Certainly he did his homework on the damage certain types of brutal crime inflict on a body. He also wrote Less Than Zero, which I also recommend.

Downey JR is one of my favorites. I think he and Depp are the two most talented actors of their generation. Downey is very special, I am glad he beat his demons because he would have ended up dead if he hadnt and we would have been robbed of one of the greatest film talents ever.

Who can forget RED DAWN, that was THE FILM when I was a kid. I dont think that was a book just a screenplay but I understand that they are remaking it as we speak but it wont be Russians but rather Islamic Terrorists that they fight.

Harry Dean Stanton -- "AVENGE ME!"

Oh yeah I was in high school when that came out and we all swore we'd be just like those kids if that happened to us.

Wadahoot -- of course old ladies read and, based on your reading list, you're one cool old person.

So yeah, hopefully when this case is over they let us hang on and talk about whatever on this thread. At least until we meet in Vegas or Sedona or wherever. I've been on the internet since '94 and have never once, until now, ever participated in a forum or bulletin board or what have you. And from what you guys have been saying this is a pretty good one. Thanks to all for your insights and thoughts which make my mind grow.

yep,but that's the transgendered renata thread...

I am sort of surpised that other members havent joined in over here, I wonder if we intimidate them or something. There are NO other threads on this forum that come close to this one and this group is just very special, all of you good people I would be priviledged to meet any one of you in person and maybe someday we will who knows.

Harry Dean Stanton -- "AVENGE ME!"

Oh yeah I was in high school when that came out and we all swore we'd be just like those kids if that happened to us.

Wadahoot -- of course old ladies read and, based on your reading list, you're one cool old person.

So yeah, hopefully when this case is over they let us hang on and talk about whatever on this thread. At least until we meet in Vegas or Sedona or wherever. I've been on the internet since '94 and have never once, until now, ever participated in a forum or bulletin board or what have you. And from what you guys have been saying this is a pretty good one. Thanks to all for your insights and thoughts which make my mind grow.

I am definitely going to keep this group together somehow after the trial if not here then we will make a general discussion thread in the parking lot forum area and just do our thing, it would be a shame if we all just disapeared after this is all over because we all have so much to share with eachother about any given topic.

I concur completely! Also Demian, Siddhartha, and Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse.

Hunter S. -- Fear and Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72, Hell's Angels, Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas (of course)

Tom Wolfe -- The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, The Right Stuff, Bonfire of the Vanities

oh god,Steppenwolf is my most favorite book ever,I love Bukowski as well " Born into this" is also my favorite poem by him...
I also love "The hours" by Michael Cunningham....

Downey JR is one of my favorites. I think he and Depp are the two most talented actors of their generation. Downey is very special, I am glad he beat his demons because he would have ended up dead if he hadnt and we would have been robbed of one of the greatest film talents ever.

I agree about Downey but he wasn't in that film. It was Christian Bale.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144084/

Speaking of Downey how about Short Cuts by Robert Altman. That one is in my top 5.

oh god,Steppenwolf is my most favorite book ever,I love Bukowski as well " Born into this" is also my favorite poem by him...
I also love "The hours" by Michael Cunningham....

Is that the book the movie is based on? I loved the movie so the book must be way better.

....and also Chuck Palahniuk

Hell yeah. Denis Johnson, Jay McInerny, and Tom Robbins. Keep 'em coming.

Anybody read a little gem called "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl