VA - Couple & two teens found murdered, Farmville, 15 Sept 2009 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite...it's a two part answer. You've got the first part, they're Finnish. Now connect them to the case for the second task.

And as far as Finnish people staring at their shoes, it seems worth mentioning the style of music called "shoegaze"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYgpt9tRJ0

I learn something new everyday around here.

looking down? denial? not open?

Regarding the music, sounds like noise to me now. distracting, as in turn the music down I can't think, type noise. Can't hear lyrics. In horrorcore CAN hear lyrics. Am I showing my age?

p.s. I can't hear the Finnish accents though - not strong ones? Tak.

FWIW, like some of the other posters here I have an interest in forensic science. My interest started in implementing digital forensic techniques, i.e. an algorithm for recognizing the source of a scanned image. I've considered going into the forensics field and so I've delved into some rather arcane and grotesque books. Many of these are available on the Internet for free BTW.

And now the weather...

histGraphAll

See also Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Four People Murdered in VA College Town #3

This is the weather reported for the approximate time of the murders including temperatures and wind information.

I think we discussed previously that the bodies would have decayed more rapidly during the first part of the week when the temperatures were higher. Also, the wind direction might help explain why the decaying bodies weren't smelled until later in the week. Note the wind direction changes on both Thursday and Friday which is when the bodies were discovered. Further analysis would be required to say this with any confidence however.

PS Forensic entomology requires a knowledge of the ambient air temperature in my understanding. See http://books.google.com/books?id=HFG6qQeCY-8C Chapter 17 and also this basic intro article: http://www.scienceinschool.org/repository/docs/issue2_forensic.pdf

So one has to take into account that the bodies were inside a house. Was there air conditioning? Fans? Were they on all the time, part of the time, not at all? All of the above would affect the rate of decomposition, right?

My thoughts about if it matters or not. If you document the findings in a case where the controls are easier to ascertain, they become data references for the sake of comparison when you're trying to figure out another case's circumstances. If they can determine the father was killed two days later based on the decomp rate, that provides data that is different from the women who may have been killed two days earlier. When you have a dead person at a later date, unrelated to this case, you have references based on the stage of decomposition the body was found to be in. (person was killed two days ago versus four days ago - and then zero in on that day to try to find out what person did, who person was with and where, etc.).

Am I on the right track?

Finns are thought to be rather bland and reticent.

Obviously, a few belie this.

NOW does everybody get the Finn joke?!?!?!?1 :banghead:

So one has to take into account that the bodies were inside a house. Was there air conditioning? Fans? Were they on all the time, part of the time, not at all? All of the above would affect the rate of decomposition, right?

My thoughts about if it matters or not. If you document the findings in a case where the controls are easier to ascertain, they become data references for the sake of comparison when you're trying to figure out another case's circumstances. If they can determine the father was killed two days later based on the decomp rate, that provides data that is different from the women who may have been killed two days earlier. When you have a dead person at a later date, unrelated to this case, you have references based on the stage of decomposition the body was found to be in. (person was killed two days ago versus four days ago - and then zero in on that day to try to find out what person did, who person was with and where, etc.).

Am I on the right track?

Yes, I think I understand. You mean you would have the comparative data between the two (sets of) corpses, as well as the data you can compare to established typical rates. Yes?

Yes, I think I understand. You mean you would have the comparative data between the two (sets of) corpses, as well as the data you can compare to established typical rates. Yes?

Now why can't I say that using only one sentence? Ha! It must be due to all of those five hundred page reports I was ordered to produce throughout my school years. :waitasec:

Now why can't I say that using only one sentence? Ha! It must be due to all of those five hundred page reports I was ordered to produce throughout my school years. :waitasec:

I believe the question is more precisely: How is it that I CAN say it in one sentence?

Okay, who knows the answer? :cool:

Finns are thought to be rather bland and reticent.

Obviously, a few belie this.

NOW does everybody get the Finn joke?!?!?!?1 :banghead:

Take a good look at those Vikings. Very sweet :waitasec: and strong - just like me!

Does anybody recognize this: Hail on gore chin huff er a la la la la laaa; hail on gore, chin huff er a la la laaaaa.
(spelled like I hear it)

It's a Norwegian drinking song - have no idea what if means exactly but it is to be sung when drinking and is festive.
Skol.
Adding - I looked but cannot find the song on YouTube. Thought it would be fun to link it. An old Norwegian told me that the song begins "Whole one goes, sing" then the chorus ....., like making merry.

The dumb Norwegians are now one of the wealthiest groups of people on the planet. Oil anyone?

I believe the question is more precisely: How is it that I CAN say it in one sentence?

Okay, who knows the answer? :cool:

Studing the parts of speech of the English language and learning to apply them more effectively?

Is it of the English language or in the English language? I'm a mess.

Is the top link to Sam's sister's (Sarah?) production company? Do I have that right? She represents C of Bodem.

Nah, she's just a very enthusiastic fan apparently. She does promote metal bands though.

Why are we looking into the Finnish band exactly?

I found the link to their name and why they chose it that Claudicici uncovered very interesting.

Back in the day, I would have probably pegged them as a heavy metal band who are kind of cute looking :waitasec:. But what did I know? Even back then, I preferred music that has a melody.

Tapu, I'm waiting for my first lesson in sentence structure, please?

Oh, for what it's worth, the Norwegian told me that the Finnish only smile when they are dancing. :Banane23::bananapowerslide:

Why are we looking into the Finnish band exactly?

I found the link to their name and why they chose it that Claudicici uncovered very interesting.

Back in the day, I would have probably pegged them as a heavy metal band who are kind of cute looking :waitasec:. But what did I know? Even back then, I preferred music that has a melody.

Tapu, I'm waiting for my first lesson in sentence structure, please?

It's Tapu's fault.

I'm a descriptive linguist, not a prescriptive linguist. You won't learn sentence structure from me. I mean, unless you wish to study my canon of comments.

:cool:

I'm a descriptive linguist, not a prescriptive linguist. You won't learn sentence structure from me. I mean, unless you wish to study my canon of comments.

:cool:

That's good news because those prescriptive linguists are so damn bossy. :snooty:

Wow, looking at the comments under that myspace picture . . . Sam's sister is keepin' it classy. :innocent:

I'll wait for an explanation then and my lesson. :blushing:

It's not that deep. Tapu was making bad Finnish jokes. I remember that one of Sarah's favorite bands was Finnish. I had checked out her list previously when I found out she promoted metal and was hoping to find some music I liked. The thanks to Ziggy's mention of the black finger nail polish I found another posting where she explains just how enthusiastic of a fan she is.

Amusingly I just found this yesterday after Ziggy's comment about these guys having black nail polish. Originally I was going to just connect it to her MySpace influences list.

Folks, this is why I don't really buy the whole argument about those mean Websleuthers "investigating" people.

Don't post it on the Internet if you don't want people to read it.
you've tricked me but made me feel a lot better.
I was never going to say anything about her again or "snoop" around in her business...but especially considering the date of that comment....I don't feel so bad anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDowden72