VA VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, fatally shot, Montgomery Co, 26 Aug 2009

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I recently drove thru this area coming down from NJ on Vacation, it's such a wide open area, and seems like you could escape easily. From my own experience dealing with the case of the Zodiac Killer, the fact a rifle was used, is pretty telling. It's not as easy to use for sure. The killer would have a hard time getting it out quickly, and hiding it easily.

Perhaps I missed it, but was this crime committed at night? It's actually similar to a Zodiac crime in which the killer pulled up beside or behind a couple, perhaps under the pretense of being a cop, then ordered the couple out of the car. The male was shot first, and the female took off running, and was shot in the back. It's likely that the killer used a flashlight. The key difference here, is that in this Zodiac case I am mentioning, the killer used a .22 pistol, so he could fire with one hand and hold the light with the other hand. You can't do that with a rifle, you need both hands to shoot, so this could indicate that more than one person was involved.

By the way, not being totally familiar with the VA layout, is this close to the colonial parkway of Williamsburg/Jamestown areas? I know there was a serial killer or killers active there in the 80's or 90's stalking couples parked in cars at night.

I recently drove thru this area coming down from NJ on Vacation, it's such a wide open area, and seems like you could escape easily. From my own experience dealing with the case of the Zodiac Killer, the fact a rifle was used, is pretty telling. It's not as easy to use for sure. The killer would have a hard time getting it out quickly, and hiding it easily.

Perhaps I missed it, but was this crime committed at night? It's actually similar to a Zodiac crime in which the killer pulled up beside or behind a couple, perhaps under the pretense of being a cop, then ordered the couple out of the car. The male was shot first, and the female took off running, and was shot in the back. It's likely that the killer used a flashlight. The key difference here, is that in this Zodiac case I am mentioning, the killer used a .22 pistol, so he could fire with one hand and hold the light with the other hand. You can't do that with a rifle, you need both hands to shoot, so this could indicate that more than one person was involved.

By the way, not being totally familiar with the VA layout, is this close to the colonial parkway of Williamsburg/Jamestown areas? I know there was a serial killer or killers active there in the 80's or 90's stalking couples parked in cars at night.[/QUOTE]

BBM Some posters have mentioned the similarities in this case and the Colonial Parkway killings. But, Jamestown/Williamsburg is in the Eastern part of the state and this killing occurred in Southwest Va. Probably 200 or so miles apart.

By the way, not being totally familiar with the VA layout, is this close to the colonial parkway of Williamsburg/Jamestown areas? I know there was a serial killer or killers active there in the 80's or 90's stalking couples parked in cars at night.

I lived in both areas at the times of the crimes. They are 300 miles apart. Williamsburg is off of I-64 and Caldwell Fields is off of Highway 460. Although they are very far apart in years and distance, they are both off of major east/west highways.

This crime DID happen at night. And yes, it is a very rural area of Montgomery County, right on the border with Craig County. I am not even sure there was great cell service at the time. The poor kids were sitting ducks.

Caldwell Fields is a popular camping area, but very rural. At the beginning of the school year, as this was, I don't know if many kids would have been out there camping.

What strikes me with this case is it is someone that is from the area. When you know that your shot will only be heard for a certain distance and you know where houses are so you can drive the road the opposite way, etc... then and only then do you feel safe enough to actually do this. This to me is a Local Loner who is maybe jealous of couples. I see someone in a old brown half broken down pick up truck wearing a flannel shirt. Maybe from the same county. There are some very strange folks in that neck of the woods since I've been there many many times. This crime scene reaks of local loner redneck. Probably only brush with law might be a DUI or hunting violation.

We need more info to make that distinction... The Police said they have DNA, depending on what the contributing source (blood/semen/Saliva etc... ) is , it could be anything from a robbery gone awry, to a serial case.

By the way, not being totally familiar with the VA layout, is this close to the colonial parkway of Williamsburg/Jamestown areas? I know there was a serial killer or killers active there in the 80's or 90's stalking couples parked in cars at night.[/QUOTE]

BBM Some posters have mentioned the similarities in this case and the Colonial Parkway killings. But, Jamestown/Williamsburg is in the Eastern part of the state and this killing occurred in Southwest Va. Probably 200 or so miles apart.

Not sure if there was moonlight available that night. But if a flashlight was used he could have taped it to the weapon to free up his hands. I still think the killer was in walking distance to and from the murder site. And I still think it was random. He came upon them there, and for whatever reason decided to shot and kill them.

5 yrs...still no answers...no arrests... a killer roams free...

David Lohr
david.lohr@huffingtonpost.com
Fred Atwell, Controversial Figure In Colonial Parkway Murders, Arrested In Georgia
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/fred-atwell-colonial-parkway-murders-arrest_n_947121.html

I can see the parallels between the murder of Heidi Childs and David Metzler. Although they are 200 miles apart, there are some similarities in terms of the couples, lovers lane, isolated rural location, cars, Virginia location.

The Colonial Parkway Murders remain an open investigation. The Thomas/Dowski murder and the Call/Hailey disappearance, which happened on the Federal property of the Colonial Parkway, are being handled by the FBI from their offices in Newport News and Norfolk, VA. The Phelps/Lauer murder and the Edwards/Knobling case are being handled by the Virginia State Police as they happened off the Colonial Parkway. If anyone has a tip or other information, they can contact me here, via the same username at America Online, or contact the FBI or Virginia State Police.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders
Los Angeles, CA

What is the make and model of the Taxi JM drove? Do you think there is a link to JM? It seems every day more and more questions in unsolved young victims deaths are being linked with JM.

What is the make and model of the Taxi JM drove? Do you think there is a link to JM? It seems every day more and more questions in unsolved young victims deaths are being linked with JM.

I'm not sure what kind of taxi he drove. I do think there could be a connection. Erin Burnett on CNN tonight said she had talked to an LE source that said that Childs/Metzler investigators are paying a lot of attention and have "great interest" in JM. I know they have DNA from the Childs/Metzler murders, so they may very well have something to connect to JM. While they never detailed the type of assault that was made on Heidi, it seems apparent she must have been sexually assaulted if JLM is thought to be connected.

I'm not sure what kind of taxi he drove. I do think there could be a connection. Erin Burnett on CNN tonight said she had talked to an LE source that said that Childs/Metzler investigators are paying a lot of attention and have "great interest" in JM. I know they have DNA from the Childs/Metzler murders, so they may very well have something to connect to JM. While they never detailed the type of assault that was made on Heidi, it seems apparent she must have been sexually assaulted if JLM is thought to be connected.

So David was killed first? And then she either ran or was dragged out of the car?

Hi Morf, I went to Va Tech and have just discovered this case, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before. About the location, the Colonial Parkway in Va. It runs east/west from Williamsburg to Yorktown VA. It crosses I64, which runs across Va through Charlottesville. The area where Metzler/Childs were killed is about 75 miles due west of Lynchburg Va, so the two areas are easily 200 miles apart, not really the same neck of the woods......

Police in Virginia are very much interested in the possibility of the link b/w Jesse Matthew (suspect in Hannah Graham, Morgan Harrington cases) and the Childs/Metzler murders.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/...e-To-2-Missing-Virginia-Women--277605341.html

They have DNA from Morgan's murderer that matched a rape case in 2005. Since they have DNA from this case wouldn't they have already linked these cases if it was from the same person?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for Jesse Matthews, he went to school in the Lynchburg area which is where Heidi and David were from. He has been involved in Christian activities, I gather, and so were Heidi and David. Even if he never had crossed paths with them previously, it would seem possible such a college town predator would likely drive down the interstate to check out the state's other giant university at times.

Speaking of the Colonial Parkway murders, one of the persons of interest in that case, Fred Lee Atwell Jr., was in Roanoke Va. as of 8\30\2011 where he committed a robbery with a firearm. I know this was 2 years after the Caldwell Fields incident but he could have been in the area at anytime and went unnoticed until he was caught committing a crime(the robbery). IF he is in anyway responsible for the Colonial Parkway murders then he could certainly have mirrored that crime and be responsible for the Caldwell Fields murders. The similarities of the cases are there and he did have a firearm when he committed the robbery in Roanoke.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Let the light shine
Back