VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes--it is important. A few days back, photos of some unfortunate black man named "Jesse Mathews" (and his father) were being blasted all over the internet. It is important to Websleuths, as well, I assume that the wrong names not be discussed for liability reasons.

Must we nitpick about Hannah/Heather- Matthew/Matthews? We all know who the discussion is about.
I like Longo. He's well educated, not only LE but, an attorney. He's not stupid. How many times have we all groaned about the lack of info in a presser? He's involved the public in trying to find Hannah. He's put what he can out there. A breath of fresh air, IMO. And I love his passion. I'm thinking the Graham's do too. MOO.

If JM ever had an inkling that he wanted to talk after retaining or an attorney, or if there were ever a chance that LE could approach him as if they believe he was a 'witness' but just need all the information he can provide and his DNA (to get his guard down & lock him into a story)... that chance is long gone now thanks to the pressers.

i don't think when LE first contacts you they already have a warrant to search your anyone is going to go for the "we just want to talk to you as a witness" bit.

As I suspected. It was clear to me they were looking for those two "items." They clearly have a lot of evidence on JM. They are just waiting for the forensics to solidify things and to safeguard their case. My guess would be that tomorrow they announce that he's their guy and they are now looking for a body as the evidence shows a murder took place. Again, MOO.
You suspected wrong the police put on the gloves that were in the box after they came out of the apartment. They were LE GLOVES who knows what was in the other box LE LUNCHES?

He has no obligation to help police build a case against him.

For a moment, assume he IS innocent and they indeed went their separate ways after Tempo's. BUT he remained the last person seen with Hannah "before she vanished off the face of the earth". Do you really believe the police would move on and scratch him off their suspect list?

Probably not, but they wouldn't arrest him either. Oh my, and another family lives on without ever knowing what happened to their daughter.
If he is innocent and it's presumed that he is (until proven otherwise), don't you think Hannah's parents might find comfort in knowing about what she did, what she said (etc.) if/when they were together?
I pray the Matthews of this world never have a loved one go missing.

IMO Longo has not given us a lot of information. In the beginning most of his info was wrong (reflections, BG descriptions etc) and now he is so vague and dramatic. We still dont know anything more than from when the video was released.
In fairness to Longo .... the BG description was said to be what the WG gave... it has not been stated whether the WG's statement was incorrect or LE misspoke.

I feel people will ALWAYS find something to complain about it. If they were not holding interviews to provide information and kept everything tight lipped everyone would assume they had nothing or didn't want to really find her, but because they are putting information out as much as possible, it's perceived as sloppy LE work. Also there are hundreds of people working on this case and Longo won't know every single step that is made sometimes until after it's made so let's give LE some credit. They are working around the clock trying to find Hannah. If this was your sister you would want the passion they have!

So when they said he was provided with a lawyer (and spoke to one), he left and did that elsewhere? Weren't they following him? I never heard that he went to an attorney's office.

I think what people are confused about is "provided". Police don't provide lawyers, but if someone asks to talk to a lawyer, they see if they can scare up a lawyer. This does not mean that a lawyer is retained it only means that they found a lawyer for him to talk to. As I have said about 5 times, the lawyer that he consulted with probably advised him to RETAIN a lawyer before speaking with investigators, if ever. It did not link them as attorney and client. That happens with a document called a retainer agreement. It was a simple consultation and a simple bit of lawyerly advice. JMO

Having followed many cases, I have seen LE doing amazing jobs, and horrible jobs. IMO when the public is confused, and questioning LE, then they are not doing a great job. I have seen LE show passion, without theatrics, release valuable information, and show their heart. And I have commended them for that wholeheartedly. It is my opinion, and no one has to agree, that Longo is not doing a great job. I wouldn't say horrible, as far as the case goes...but as far as public relation goes I think it is terrible.
Agreed. I firmly believe had it not been for his theatrics and over the top ranting, JLM may well have been willing to talk to police and may not have considered asking for an attorney right off the bat. After those 2 press conferences, JLM isn't going to tell them squat. I believe he came to the station wanting to talk with an attorney present, but was advised not to by the attorney. And I wouldn't doubt that part of the reason why he was advised not to was due to Longo's actions. Compare Longo's demeanor to that of the Det Sgt leading the investigation. Night and day. If I was that detective, I'd be right pissed at my Chief.

As I suspected. It was clear to me they were looking for those two "items." They clearly have a lot of evidence on JM. They are just waiting for the forensics to solidify things and to safeguard their case. My guess would be that tomorrow they announce that he's their guy and they are now looking for a body as the evidence shows a murder took place. Again, MOO.
What kind of evidence could they possibly have besides semen or blood? Is that enough to charge for murder (unless the car is saturated with blood, which I highly doubt). As I see it, the best forensics can show is that Hannah was in the car and they had sex.

That's not true. They need more than a drop of evidence for an arrest, typically. They often need more than probable cause. We've seen that in several cases. Usually, they want to find the body first.

You have to understand that the statutory clock starts ticking the moment they charge someone. And what can they charge this guy with without a body? It's difficult toc harge murder without a body, even with forensic evidence like blood, in his car, for example.

The fact of the matter is that LE did not arrest JM. They let him go. He is now wanted for reckless driving. As of right now, unless LE has other info they are not sharing., they will book JM for the reckless driving, not for anything about Hannah Graham. I ;m glad you bring up that there is no evidence yet that a crime has even been commited. Nothing. Until something more is found, no charges for anything can be brought against anyone. It is possible that Hannah took off with some mystery man and is honeymooning somewhere. I don't think so, but it is possible. She could be alive.

For families, I can see where the possibilities can drive a parent crazy You want to believe that the loved one is alive and that possibility is there. And yet, the reality in such cases, is that something terrible did happen, and you know that. That's why many parets, loved ones, want closure, painful as it may be, and involving the loss of hope, siince there is that psychic pain that comes with it.

Right now, I agree that there is nothing in the Hannah Graham case with which the DA can charge JM.

This is so high profile now, I would be shocked if someone didn't pop out (or hasn't popped out) of the woodwork begging JM to take this on.

Which makes me wonder, when the tests come back tomorrow will a statement be made then?
Will he turn himself in on the current charges?

What kind of evidence could they possibly have besides semen or blood?

Her hair, a fiber from what she was wearing, death markers (like from the Casey Anthony case) etc.

i don't think when LE first contacts you they already have a warrant to search your anyone is going to go for the "we just want to talk to you as a witness" bit.

You'd be surprised. No matter what story he tells, he still IS the last person known to be with Hannah. So they would get a warrant to search his car and place 'to be safe' whether they believed his story or not.

They could have played it off much better than this and had at least a chance of getting him to talk.

This isn't directed at you, but yes I think it is important. There are a lot of guests reading along and a ton of new users joining to read and post on these threads. It is best to keep things as clear and correct as possible. Calling Hannah by an incorrect name seems disrespectful, as she is a victim here. And using the wrong last name to identify the POI risks mistaken identity with an individual who has a very similar name, but with an S at the end.

IMO, yes it is important.

Also, it's RESPECTFUL to call people by their proper names.

IMO

I think what people are confused about is "provided". Police don't provide lawyers, but if someone asks to talk to a lawyer, they see if they can scare up a lawyer. This does not mean that a lawyer is retained it only means that they found a lawyer for him to talk to. As I have said about 5 times, the lawyer that he consulted with probably advised him to RETAIN a lawyer before speaking with investigators, if ever. It did not link them as attorney and client. That happens with a document called a retainer agreement. It was a simple consultation and a simple bit of lawyerly advice. JMO

Thank you, Cady. I agree with this post.

lateott, You would go to the yellow pages or an attorney's office. But, you are not JM.

We don't know what level of education has or how limited his understanding of how "getting a lawyer" actually works.

I believe he marched to the police station to 'get himself a lawyer' because family members suggested he do so.

He may have gone in person because it was a Sunday and couldn't engage a lawyer on-site. He may have gone in person rather than called for a lawyer for fear that his phone was tapped and any phone calls were recorded.

He may have gone in person to that police station to let it be known by the public that he may or may not have a lawyer.
My point is I don't think he went there for THAT reason. Doesn't make sense (and...he had probably experienced a bit of the justice system by then enough to know how things worked.)

But I think he went there for A reason.

So my response to you, why do you think he 1) Went there, and 2) Asked for an attorney?

I say it is to talk, or to find out how to get his car back.

Good night all, I wonder what happened to poor Hannah :(

Thanks. This interview actually paints a much different picture for me than what I've been thinking throughout this thread.
I honestly believe that Longo is being careful in how he is phrasing things in case forensics comes back empty handed, but that he is thinking they will not.

"it's, it's very bizarre, certainly something I've never seen in my 33 year in this business. he came in to the station and he had 2 family members with him. he asked for a lawyer. we obtained a lawyer from him. the lawyer came. the 2 of them spoke briefly and jesse left. to be clear, this high speed exit they he took was somewhat after he left the station, he went to a location in alberque county which is our neighbouring jurisdiction where he was surveillance at the time, not covertly, but overtly, he got in too a car and sped off..."

longo http://www.today.com/video/today/56094717#56094717

Do you have a link for this? (the fact that he was actually provided with an attorney)

From the PC yesterday:
"He got inside, and he asked for a lawyer, and we found him one." -Longo

This isn't directed at you, but yes I think it is important. There are a lot of guests reading along and a ton of new users joining to read and post on these threads. It is best to keep things as clear and correct as possible. Calling Hannah by an incorrect name seems disrespectful, as she is a victim here. And using the wrong last name to identify the POI risks mistaken identity with an individual who has a very similar name, but with an S at the end.

IMO, yes it is important.
I've been a guest and a new user. This is a message board. It doesn't take much to get up to snuff unless one wants to be spoon fed. And I would venture to say that the OP that writes Hannah/Heather has no intention of being disrespectful. I remember when I first started posting that I never used the victim's name, especially their first name. I thought it was too familiar and disrespectful to do so. I referred to LE as police officers. :) And always said MR and MRS! Thus, I don't feel that these innocent misnomers are important. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnelson