VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone in the UK know what "greens" are? Being from the south I've always assumed this term was a southern US thing. When I see greens referred to in cooking shows they call them turnip greens or whatever. Never "greens." This indicates to me the DM did talk to someone from the south at the very least.

To me (in the UK) greens means 'green veggies' - "eat your greens" = eat your peas, broccoli, cabbage etc. But it is said as just meaning "eat your veggies" too.

I took it to mean "he ate his veggies like a good boy"

ETA: I meant to add no it's not something in the UK we commonly say, we would say 'veggies' or 'veg' as slang for vegetables, not 'greens' Greens is specific to green veg.

Did that make any sense? Lol

Random Thoughts :thinking:

1) Perhaps Hannah recognized Jesse that night? After all, she was a nursing student, and he worked at the UVA medical center.

2) Perhaps Hannah did not recognize him that evening, but as they started to chat, and he told her he worked at the UVA medical center, she could have felt somewhat comfortable and safe with him.

Just throwing out these thoughts. Prayers for Hannah to come home soon. :twocents:

IMHO

I was thinking along those lines too. The UVA hospital connection. A friend of a friend commented on FB that they had worked with him at the hospital the past 2 weeks. (mutual friend posted and I read the comments) I'm sure he would be in all different areas of the hospital gathering patients.

I don't know if this has been posted yet but an update sent from UVA to UVA students said "According to police reports, after leaving a party in a private residence in the area of 14th Street and Wertland Street, she walked north on 10th Street to Preston Avenue, east on Preston Avenue to Market Street, then south on Second Street to Charlottesville’s Downtown Mall"

Some info for the map people!

http://news.virginia.edu/content/important-messages-regarding-missing-university-student

Thank you for the details about her route!

Attachments

• HannahFoot_Route - Copy.jpg
    HannahFoot_Route - Copy.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 301
I don't think that is her turning around. I think one picture is her entering the hallway and the other is her leaving the hallway. I don't see any weird looks either
SHE does turn around in the hallway in a huff. The black box is still on the right. Look at segment 3:30 and 3:34.. She turned around in the hallway after seeing those people. She started jogging then. She leans forward there when she shes them ( stunned or something)and does an about face and starts walking at a fast walk with her arms above her waist.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/09/18/hannah-graham-missing-student-uva-virginia?clusterId=60#videoplayer

I apologize if this is a duplicate (Parker Slaybaugh's Facebook) - bolded by me

"Police also tell me they went back to Jesse Matthew's apartment today looking for very specific things, they say they found what they were looking for. Police will not say what those items were."

To me (in the UK) greens means 'green veggies' - "eat your greens" = eat your peas, broccoli, cabbage etc. But it is said as just meaning "eat your veggies" too.

I took it to mean "he ate his veggies like a good boy"

Same in the North East US. Greens = vegetables. Not that I think I'm solving any great mysteries, but regional differences are interesting to me.

I keep hoping for Hannah's parents sake there is a resolution to this soon - they showed the video of Hannah on Nancy Grace and it looked totally different to me tonight, she looks lost and confused and is trying to figure out how to get home, did anyone else see that? At first I thought she was looking for someone, but tonight seeing it over again, she looks scared.

if she wanted to get home she would just used her google maps apps on her cell phone.

Usually at restaurant/bars the restaurant closes around 10 or so and from that point on you need ID to get in. They can also turn away overly drunk people.

I am interested to know why HG was denied entrance, and why she wanted to gain entrance. Was it to look for someone? Was it to use the restroom? Was it for a rest/shelter? This is very disappointing, as we've been told by LE that she was intoxicated. Did the bouncer ask her any questions? This is the second young lady that has been denied entrance into an establishment/pub/arena, and has disappeared. Not saying, at all, that the bouncer had anything to do with it. Why didn't someone try to help her prior to her arriving downtown? I know that we don't have these answers.....just thinking out-loud.

I wonder if he was applying for an international driver's license? It can be used instead of a passport.

Do you mean an EDL? Enhanced Driver's License?

Yes, that can be used as a passport IF you're entering by land or sea - so Mexico, Canada, or anywhere you can go by boat.

But it's not available in Virginia yet.

If you are a licensed driver, check to see if your state has developed an enhanced drivers license program in conjunction with the Department of Homeland Security. Currently, only Washington State, Vermont, New York, and Michigan are fully up and running with EDLs. However, Arizona, Texas, and California are making progress with their programs, too.

Like PASS Cards, EDLs are only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel.

http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php

Also, this is the Passcard - but it's not through the DMV, and it only works at land and see entrances and only to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, or the Caribbean

Valid for land and sea crossings only, not air
Valid for travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean

Or do you mean an International Driver's Permit? http://www.dmv.org/international-driver-permits.php

If he was going somewhere a regular DL might not be sufficient or to avoid having to get a local DL in another country if they require that (as many will accept an IDL at least for a time)

But that you can only get via the AAA or NAC (besides, who goes to the DMV if you even had a choice - 15 minutes vs. 5 hours :happydance:)

And it doesn't work in lieu of a passport to enter a country.

Remember, the State Department has authorized ONLY the following motor clubs to issue IDPs

I keep hoping for Hannah's parents sake there is a resolution to this soon - they showed the video of Hannah on Nancy Grace and it looked totally different to me tonight, she looks lost and confused and is trying to figure out how to get home, did anyone else see that? At first I thought she was looking for someone, but tonight seeing it over again, she looks scared.

I always thought she looked... anxious to get home? Frustrated with being lost? A little freaked out? Maybe on a mission to go to the bathroom? I always assumed that I was imposing how *I* would feel after all that time walking around alone in weird/sketchy places (e.g., the area around McGrady's and near the Shell station). I was in a parking garage today and had to go to the bathroom so badly I could barely think. I thought about how fast I was walking and how upset and determined I would have looked to anyone watching.

I am interested to know why HG was denied entrance, and why she wanted to gain entrance. Was it to look for someone? Was it to use the restroom? Was it for a rest/shelter? This is very disappointing, as we've been told by LE that she was intoxicated. Did the bouncer ask her any questions? This is the second young lady that has been denied entrance into an establishment/pub/arena, and has disappeared. Not saying, at all, that the bouncer had anything to do with it. Why didn't someone try to help her prior to her arriving downtown? I know that we don't have these answers.....just thinking out-loud.

She's under aged? Bad fake ID?

Yep - looks like a duck, quacks like a duck - must be a duck... Only trouble is, he's not the only duck in the pond IMO.

Yes, totally agree. I do not think he is the only one and the more info that comes out and the more I think about it, I'm thinking it's highly possible that JM walked HG to his orange car and there was someone else in the car. LE can't corroborate this yet- they only have their reasons (unknown to us yet) to suspect this. LE is trying to pressure JM to tell them the other player(s) in this case. And pressure the public who may have seen that car, people getting into it, etc. All imo, obviously.

Unless the map I was using is wrong, the distance between the two is less than a mile. She was an athlete, hill or not, she likely could cover a mile in under 30 minutes. the average runner can run 6-7 miles an hour. A 2mph pace is quite slow on any kind of paved surface. Google maps says it would take 19 minutes walking.

I used to live and walk around in that area and it's not at all crazy that she walked it in 20 minutes. It's hilly, for sure, but completely manageable.

I walked that street countless times. FAST it takes a half an hour from McGrady's to the Downtown Mall - that means RUNNING....not jogging, stopping, talking on phone - running fast. If you are lost, lordy, you don't run to the Downtown Mall from the gas station where we saw her running. The Downtown Mall is way, way down a hill after the gas station and then up another a hill. In fact, it is not obvious that one is reaching the Downtown Mall when you get to the bottom of Preston as there is a County building and other Office buildings all around. And it is dark, very dark between the gas station and the Downtown Mall. I don't have a list of the time stamps in front of me to break it down. Perhaps I will try to do that for everyone tonight. That will be some work. But I know almost every corner of Preston Ave. She ran past Bodo's, Reid's and the County Building (which was a former High School - Lane). It is not really "lots of open businesses" all the way down to the where she ended up Downtown.

I think the local perspective is helpful and important. Poster's initial comments are accurate and give context to this bizarre event. Years ago, when I think it was even more dangerous, I walked the very same route to the old Vinegar Hill Theater and it seemed to take an eternity. I was with a group and it still gave me the creeps, big time. But turning back was as intimidating as continuing on. Another factor about context: there is enormous pressure on UVa students to conform and excel, even in an age of diversity. Publicly extricating yourself from an unwholesome situation is not so easy to do if it might cause embarrassment, notwithstanding the available resources for help. That's the reality. Too much of this hits home in a very sad and frightening way. Longo appears to feel it too. And Hannah's poor parents, oh my.

I used to live and walk around in that area and it's not at all crazy that she walked it in 20 minutes. It's hilly, for sure, but completely manageable.

And ... she's an athlete.

Thank you for the details about her route!

Only problem with this route is that in the video from McGrady's she enters the scene from the EAST (right) not the WEST (left)... She may have doubled back and they clipped her first pass by and only showed her coming back... But based on what they released, that route doesn't match with the video from McGrady's....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member