VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the map. Great organization! There's just so many unsolved cases, it's sick. This map doesn't show several others in the last few years around Charlottesville but that's aright. We have other maps and info for those.

Not sure what should be expected from DNA. Assuming JM is not a match to any DNA in CODIS, first of all, then what are we looking at? Hannah's DNA in his car and home may not be enough to charge him (depending on what, where and how much). The do not have Hannah, so they can't tell if his DNA is on her or her clothing/items that may be found with her, if she is found. We know he was with her, may have even touched her, or more, depening upon what happened after leaving the mall. Small amounts of her DNA, i.e could probably be explained away, if JM says he brought her back to his place and they had consensual sex. Sure, we might not buy it, and LE won't, but is that enough to charge him and if so, with what? She is not underage. (It is 18, though VA has some strange sex laws, including making sex between people who are not married illegal, apparently.). As of right now, he apparently is not locked into any statement and most likely has not signed one.

I don't want to pin too much of my hopes on tomorrow, I guess. Maybe they will get a link in the chain, but it may not be the huge break many seem to be expecting. Anyway...jmo

Could the comment the HG had "her world turned upside down" possibly indicate that LE had been given information that HG had taken drugs?

Are you saying that she may have had a fake ID but the McGrady's bouncer wouldn't let her in because she was drunk?

There would no no way to guess if she had a fake I.D or not based on the bouncer doing his job.

The local boards have stated that there was a frat party event at McGradys that night. I wonder if that was her destination all along and then when she got there couldn't get in for some reason.

so why would she go down town then ?
She went to a frat party on 14th st @ 11:30- left @ 11:50 . I don't think the guy she was looking for was there. She probably thought he was at McGradys. When he wasn't there she went downtown to look for him, imo.
Now, when all this talk about the pub came out, it was stated Hannah had been to TWO parties BEFORE going to the pub. If that still holds true, then that explains where that hour went.

Just one party...she never made it to the second one. :( She did go to dinner before the party though. The timeframe is still not accounted for, which is a little concerning.

She went to 2 parties after she was at dinner at the Bistro. The first one was where she was caught on video @ 9:30pm. She left that one with a friend to go to the frat party.

Links are all in previous threads.

Makes no sense to me that a reckless driving alert not only carries references to this current case but to earlier ones as well. Talk about painting JM guilty not just for this but as a serial killer.

Hi, what references to earlier cases are on the wanted poster, jamicat. TIA!!!

This case appears to have evolved into a lot of 'show boating', with out much else. I guess this means someone is up for re-election next year. Commonwealth's Attorney perhaps?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2b1a46-428c-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html

Quote from article about this wanted poster: "Though such posters are usually reserved for situations when police are trying to track down suspected violent criminals, drug dealers, abductors and fugitives, the Charlottesville Police Department wants Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., 32, on two counts of reckless driving. Matthew has not been charged with any crime related to Graham’s disappearance, and police have presented no evidence that a crime occurred. "

It would appear, that Washington Post has the sense that a Wanted poster, is over the top?

And further, "The poster release also came two days after Matthew walked through the police department’s front door, met with police, asked for a lawyer, was allowed to leave, and was then cited as he allegedly sped away. The photograph on the poster is dated Sept. 19 — Friday — the day police searched his car and Charlottesville apartment after surveillance video showed him walking with Graham through a pedestrian mall about a mile east of the U-Va. campus."

Seriously, a wanted poster? Ridiculous theatrics. Who knows if JLM is guilty or innocent. But IMO, the community is being manipulated to have a very specific opinion about the POI. How many people out there, would say, "Hell, if he's on a wanted poster, he must have done something!" I think this 'University' town is trying like hell, to protect its reputation. This is seriously bad press. And I think behind the scenes, Chief Longo (long-on theatrics, short on evidence at this point) has been charged with doing 'whatever it takes', to convey a show of authority.

And still nothing, about the 2 additional attacks that occurred on the same weekend that HG disappeared. One of the two women, left for dead - mere blocks from where HG lived and partied.

A 'Wanted" poster... completely ridiculous.

I don't think it's the community that LE is trying to manipulate at all.

I did some research about Longo, wondering if indeed he has a reputation as an incompetent chief of police, dramatic, etc.
I mean, he has served for 13 years as chief of police there so if he was known for theatrics, I think there would be some press about that.

But what I found about this cat was overwhelmingly, not universally, but overwhelmingly positive.

It is hard for me to believe that this guy is suddenly acting like a keystone cop and losing his head over this case. He's handled several high profile cases before. He is very humble about himself and gives credit to everyone but himself. I just don;t understand why suddenly, after developing such a solid reputation, and working well on various cases, he'd lose his head here.

That's why, although I am open to the possibility that LE is blowing it here, I;m skeptical that that is what's occurring. Instead, I get the sense that LE is using psychology to get their suspect (and let's be frank, that's what LE likely believes he is), to break, lead them to something, confess to someone - something that will help them find Hannah and get justice for her:

"In the decade Timothy J. Longo has led the Charlottesville Police Department, overall crime and violent crime have dropped sharply in the city.
While happy with the numbers, Chief Longo is quick to point out that the improvement reflects a nationwide trend. When asked to point to accomplishments, he instead emphasizes his department’s work in community engagement.

One of the key groups Longo has needed to reach is the black community.
“Chief Longo has done a reasonable job,” said Charlottesville School Board Chairwoman Leah Puryear.
She said he has worked to reach out to the black community and has been honest about his thoughts on issues of concern.
“If the answer you get is not the answer you want, at least you know where he’s coming from,” she said.
M. Rick Turner, president of the local NAACP, described Longo as honest and forthright.

Longo’s decade in charge has included several challenging criminal cases, as well as at-times difficult community relations.
In 2005, relations with the black community were so low that a grand jury investigating a police shooting on Friendship Court cleared the officers, then went ahead and issued its own 12-page report on how the department could improve its interactions with black city residents.

Several high-profile cases have marked Longo’s decade in charge.
Among them: the lengthy search for a serial rapist operating in the area and the killing of University of Virginia lacrosse player Yeardley Love.
The serial rapist case brought Longo some of the most strident criticism he has faced in his time in Charlottesville. As police hunted for the man responsible for a string of rapes in the area, city police were accused of profiling and harassment for asking black men to submit mouth swabs for DNA testing.

Longo is glad that police eventually caught the rapist in August 2007, but stops short of calling it a success.
It took skilled, committed professionals working across disciplines to finally catch the man, according to the chief.

Harding called Longo the best public speaker he’s ever seen in law enforcement. Pairing a militaryesque high-and-tight haircut with a teacherly penchant for peering over his reading glasses, Longo is a frequent interview subject for the television news. In his remarks, he’s careful not to offend and highly skilled at staying on message.
And regardless of what Longo attributes it to, the fact remains that, during his tenure, reports of crime, particularly violent crime, have decreased dramatically."

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cle_c1ee131c-c4b3-54ab-b80d-c67cbbdb2766.html

Much more at link.

VERY INTERESTING COMMENT on the HFHG FB page. The post with the pink text, initials CCR.

(modsnip)

Police have issued a statement to say the black man shown walking with Hannah Graham in video footage released by police has been ruled out of their missing persons inquiry.

The man, seen in the video who has dreadlocks and is wearing three-quarter length trousers, has already been interviewed by detectives.
A spokesman for Charlottesville Police Department said: 'We already know who the black man in the video is and he has spoken with officers.
'He has been ruled out of the inquiry.
'He has nothing to do with Hannah's disappearance.'
Police have however released a description of a different black man seen with Hannah that they are desperately trying to trace.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hunt-person-seen-staggered-downtown-mall.html

--- marking my place.

I have a couple of quiet hours tonight, so I'm going to squint at the videos, re-view the pressers, and probably give myself a stinking headache.

Please try not to generate 500+ pages before I get back ;)!

Focussing on Bringing Hannah Home

So, I already have a headache. ALL the linked video footage in the media thread is highly spliced and diced. I work with words, but can see visual editing quite clearly. I don't know how or why, but can see it. And I've looked at it with and without my glasses ;). I'm sure there are people here who have the expertise to analyse and explain.

I don't see, in any of the clips, a stumbling, incapacitated drunk. According to witness accounts (cited in police press conferences), Hannah had been drinking alcohol that evening. I believe that. I no longer believe that she was intoxicated to the point of incapacity. Yeah, in the images from McGrady's she trips off the kerb, but doesn't fall. I can do that stone-cold sober.

BIG SNIP...

Throwing my hands up in despair and dismay. I'm giving up on the videos - I've just watched too many versions too many times :(. They're all over-edited. What a weird case :( :(

So I really just don't understand why we are all still discussing the social security number. I was online at the time it occurred - It was accidentally posted and then as advised by LE it was immediately taken down, corrected then reposted and distributed. It wouldn't have even been up any longer than one minute, if that! So what is the significance of it? Am I missing something?? :dunno: JMO.

I agree. I was online, posting in the previous thread when it happened. I believe the first wanted poster was meant to be released internally for LE agencies. JMO

Earlier a poster sais he/she found a tweet by Hannah saying she was having trouble getting wifi on her cell. (This happens to me a lot with T-mobile). It was proposed that maybe she wasn't able to use her cell at some point that Am.

You made me think of something.
Lately, I have been running into more people, who rely exclusively, on wifi rather than one of the typical cell service providers (Verizon, ATT, etc.). They use apps like Viber (text video & voice) and WhatsApp (text & video). They have ditched a cell service provider, thereby incurring no monthly fee. These apps are very efficient, when traveling out of the country, and you don't want international service fees. A friend of mine, who has teens and college age kids, said it is much less of a headache, of one of them looses a cell phone, and it is only used via wifi. So, my point is - perhaps HG relied on wifi, exclusively. Downside is, if you need cell service, and you are just outside of a wifi hotspot - you're screwed. And as some here speculated, perhaps her previously transmitted text message, 'sat there' - until she was back in a wifi hot spot. And according to the timeline of videos - perhaps Tempo restaurant (or one of the nearby businesses) has wifi. And that was when the previously written text message was finally sent. HG's family might be able to confirm her cell phone set up.

If JM raped and killed Hannah then I have a feeling it was on pure impulse because he obviously didn't plan it out with him being well known in the mall and being with her and taking her to Tempo where he is apparently a regular were people can ID him.

What is going on up in that corridor?

Nothing. If you look at any area of this size you will find a variety of unsolved crimes. Furthermore, one would expect that the crimes would occur near major "corridors" as the corridors were constructed to link areas of large populations, and thus larger victim pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3