VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of publcity that this case attracted without the efforts of LE, so they are stuck with that. Has its pluses and minuses. They are under scrutiny nationally now, and any mistake they make, inappropriate thing they do, any foolishness, any technicalities are going to be right out there.

I don't know how much national coverage helps these cases. Local, and state, yes, national, mm. Don't know. If indeed the orange car and JM were responsible for Hannah's disappearance, they had enough time to go over state lines and dump Hannah there, so there is that positive that the awareness does not stop where the coverage did. Frankly, if I were dumping a body, it would be as far away and out of state, not even an adjoining state unless time was of the essence, but most immediate crimes would not go through such calculations. I read that most crime evidence/bodies are found within an hour of where the crime was committed, and closer is more common.

But I think some of this is also grandstanding, yes. It can mean a rise in prospects for Longo, if he is successful in solving this case and others that have plagued the area. Oh, yes, it would be very big for him. But if he flops, it's a big one. THe Casey Anthony DA was pretty much let go when he lost that case. That happens with DAs , in particular, which is why we don't see much of him, yet as LOngo as stated, the DA is holding the reins on the case. DA has to nail it with a conviction and gets stuck with all of the mistakes and sloppiness the LE do in a case, especially if rights are not properly observed, procedures not followed.

The Casey Anthony DA retired and ran for State Attorney's office, which he subsequently won. He wasn't let go.

I agree. Has WG been absolutely cleated? What if he was still following HG and JM when they had drinks at Tempo and went their separate ways?

No clue. Everyone is so tunnel vision focused on JLMJr. that WG isn't on anyone's radar.

Good grief...according to this, there WERE two men?

LE now say no and some here think there was only one. But I've read this entire HG, all treads carefully and I am convinced the two BGs made sense as it was reported earlier. I don't feel like going back and locating all the sources of why though.

jmo

I don't think it's about LE presuming anyone guilty either. That's not how they operate. They investigate and take it where it leads. Presuming someone guilty is just as stupid as presuming them innocent when it comes to how to investigate.

And its not how society works, presuming a suspect innocent. We make judgments based on experience and behavior. It's how humans survive.
Gitana, you're here! Curious to know your reaction to the further details that JM came to the police department with a list of lawyers' names, and asked police to get him one. We know he has had representation in court before. Is there some obscure legal advantage I'm missing as to why you would come to police with a list but have them get the lawyer? I am just befuddled by that.

And that's true as well, but not all suspects are guilty, and not all suspects are Dennis Rader...

Totally agree! That's why I go by facts and not what a neighbor, former classmate, or grandparent has to say. Not much has been released yet, so I am waiting patiently( not really). What I will say is there are some red flags for me based on his own behaviors and I don't ignore those flags because his friends can't believe he's not a teddy bear. They are in shock (rightfully so).

Thats true. But in serious cases, the DA doesn't tend to sign off on arrest warrants with mere probable cause. They want enough to sustain a conviction. Not necessarily beyond a reasonable doubt but something to get beyond a prelim.

Thank you Gitana :)

I find it interesting that Parker S. went to Liberty. So did JM.

I don't think those mall tapes are going to be that useful other than to place Hannah at the mall with the dog following her scent to bolster that. Trying to ID anyone there from the tapes without something else supporting it is going to be tough, and there have been many mistakes made on those tapes. The description that WG gave is not going to help his testimony if ever needed as it's Waaay off, not just a little off. Plus they've been circulated au nauseum. Going to be hard find locals who didn't view them. Grandma telling a British tabloid reporter she recognized JM in them isn't going to cut it in court.

JM has been placed at the mall with Hannah by eye witnesses at Tempo. How the car figures into this is crucial. There has been mention of the car being on video. Haven't seen that. LE was more interested in car than JM it seems. LE out and out said, last viewing go Hannah was in mall, so they don't have where she went after Tempo which does not seem to be on video.

IMO,it's all going to come down to the forensics report. If that comes up empty, LE is going to have a big problem. But Longo seems to be confident that they have something.

"Take Dahmer.... He WAS a lovely nice polite gentle guy. He genuinely loved his family and was quite friendly and helpful to his neighbour. But it's just that he had this overwhelming uncontrollable urge to do the other things he did."

And that is what is said about most serial killers.. Not implying JM is one of those just saying I don't think we can put much stock in what friends, etc say about him bc that could mean nothing about who he is behind closed doors..

I personally think testimony of close friends and people who have known someone their whole life should count for something. I'm not saying everything. But "character witness" is something that is even done inside the courtroom. Point being- to me (me me me-- imo-- so pipe down to those ready to strike at me), it makes some difference as to my theories on a case.

And that's the thing - your friends truly know your character and what you are capable of. Not your neighbors, not strangers on the internet, but friends.

So were Scott Peterson's friends right about his character?

And now we have moved to calling JM a serial killer....

I did not. I took someone who is considered the worst of society ... A serial killer ... And said how EVEN they were nice guys and their family was unaware. Please don't twist my words! Thanks!

The thing that is bothering me the most is that JM has information that would help find HG. And he is not willing at this point to talk. If he is as nice and kind as his friends have stated, why has he chosen to remain silent? It is his right, I get that. But if he has nothing to hide, why is he running? Why has he chosen to remain silent? Unfortunately, this points to a guilty conscience. I can understand his fear to a degree, but come on. He can run, but he can't hide forever.

I hope he will give thought to his mother and grandmother if he cannot to HG family. They are all going through hell. He is bound to have a cell phone. Have his friends, family and LE tried to contact him?

To me guilty or innocent, the reason is the same. He is the #1 suspect in a woman's disappearance and the police believe he is the guilty party. He can't afford a lawyer - any free legal advice he has gotten has said to stay silent unless he has a lawyer. No lawyer is going to tell someone who is the #1 suspect to talk freely without a lawyer present. He tried to get a 'free' lawyer at the police station and was unsuccessful. Until he retains a lawyer, he shouldn't talk to police. The likely reason he hasn't retained a lawyer is money.

I personally think testimony of close friends and people who have known someone their whole light should count for something. I'm not saying everything. But "character witness" is something that is even done inside the courtroom. Point being- to me (me me me-- imo-- so pipe down to those ready to strike at me), it makes some difference as to my theories on a case.

Character witnesses generally come in during the sentencing phase. Not to establish guilt or innocence.

So were Scott Peterson's friends right about his character?

I didn't follow that case closely enough to make an informed decision. But I will say that JM is not Scott Peterson, therefore it is unfair to judge him as such.

And that's the thing - your friends truly know your character and what you are capable of. Not your neighbors, not strangers on the internet, but friends.

JMO but that all depends on what parts of yourself you actually share with your friends, and what kind of friends you surround yourself with. Many people who lack a particular insight are going to surround themselves with people who buy into their bullsnit.

To me guilty or innocent, the reason is the same. He is the #1 suspect in a woman's disappearance and the police believe he is the guilty party. He can't afford a lawyer - any free legal advice he has gotten has said to stay silent unless he has a lawyer. No lawyer is going to tell someone who is the #1 suspect to talk freely without a lawyer present. He tried to get a 'free' lawyer at the police station and was unsuccessful. Until he retains a lawyer, he shouldn't talk to police. The likely reason he hasn't retained a lawyer is money.

Sorry. Not in my experience. Dozens of lawyers would be jumping at the chance to represent him without charge. Right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966