VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gitana, you're here! Curious to know your reaction to the further details that JM came to the police department with a list of lawyers' names, and asked police to get him one. We know he has had representation in court before. Is there some obscure legal advantage I'm missing as to why you would come to police with a list but have them get the lawyer? I am just befuddled by that.

BBM.

Is this new information? I'm sure Longo has said that he came to the station and talked cordially with a detective whilst waiting and then when, I assume, tough questions were asked about HG he asked for a lawyer?

LE then provided a list and JM called one in and minutes after talking with lawyer he left.

On Sunday the second search group I went out with was assigned a search area that was "a wooded area off of Stribling Avenue Extended". One of the things the group leader mentioned was that the "A" search section wasn't completely covered by the searchers on Saturday. The process as I saw it was the group leaders would go to one of six stations, "A" through "F", to receive search assignments, then come out request a team of volunteers from those available, and proceed to the buses for transport to the assigned area. Since station "A" was farthest from where the team leaders would enter the area, I think they didn't have all of their tasks covered. I know that the section that my group was assigned was too large and too overgrown for us to be able to cover completely, I think we only covered 40% of our section. So the moving of the search area may just be to cover areas that were missed on Saturday and Sunday, rather than being related to any specific clues.

The only thing I remember being tagged and called in from that search was a pair of short black socks draped over a low branch, that looked like they had been there for longer than a week.

Originally Posted by millymollymandy
Wow--thanks; that was fascinating! LJ is really a confusing character. He does have an angry dark side, but in the situation detailed in this report, he was able to reign it in before it got too dire.

Respectfully, I see it as manipulation. This incident to me reads like he was completely able to snow this victim in order to avoid charges being pressed. No way would I-male or female-get into the vehicle of someone who had blocked my vehicle, assaulted me, taken my phone, and then made excuses for the behavior by saying he had been "stiffed on a couple of fares." No way.

Agree 100%.

Does JM have characteristic behavior of a psychopath or a sociopath? When compared I think he fits a sociopath personality.

JMO

Sociopaths tend to be nervous and easily agitated. They are volatile and prone to emotional outbursts, including fits of rage. They are likely to be uneducated and live on the fringes of society, unable to hold down a steady job or stay in one place for very long. It is difficult but not impossible for sociopaths to form attachments with others. Many sociopaths are able to form an attachment to a particular individual or group, although they have no regard for society in general or its rules. In the eyes of others, sociopaths will appear to be very disturbed. Any crimes committed by a sociopath, including murder, will tend to be haphazard and spontaneous rather than planned.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath

JMO MOO

Forensics of course are crucial...but what is MOST crucial is if it is a FACT that JM told POLICE (not Grandma) that Hannah was never in his car or home. It makes a huge difference in what forensics can or cannot do as far as proving he harmed her. Jmojmojmojmojmojmojmojmo

To me guilty or innocent, the reason is the same. He is the #1 suspect in a woman's disappearance and the police believe he is the guilty party. He can't afford a lawyer - any free legal advice he has gotten has said to stay silent unless he has a lawyer. No lawyer is going to tell someone who is the #1 suspect to talk freely without a lawyer present. He tried to get a 'free' lawyer at the police station and was unsuccessful. Until he retains a lawyer, he shouldn't talk to police. The likely reason he hasn't retained a lawyer is money.

I respectfully disagree they believe he is guilty as he has yet to be named a suspect, just a person of interest. And IMO there is a difference. I think they want so badly for it to be him to solve the case and bring her home.

I'm not claiming character witness defines guilt or innocent- I'm only saying that character witness is a general concept that is understood by the court. Even if only to a degree.

Credible witness identity, information, and statements are often protected and not made public or incorrect or vague information is given to protect the integrity of an investigation as well as the safety and privacy of the witness. I am a family member of a "smoking gun" witness in a highly publicized murder trial, in which the killers were convicted and sentenced to life sentences last year. In the case of my relative, vague (and inaccurate) information was purposely given by LE to the media and reported as coming from another person in order to protect him and his information. His name was known, but was protected by a type of gag order issued to media, so he was only referred to as "the witness" until the trial. His life and the lives of our family was a "pure hell" until the trial because of the media and public attempt to "get the story". He was followed to and from his job, his daughter's school activities and church, and news helicopters flew above his property and stalked him. Thank God, he didn't have any skeletons in the closet that would undermine his integrity or character and he had friends and a community that supported him.

Regarding Hannah's disappearance...I am sure there are witnesses, information, and statements that we are not going to know about and some information may be withheld or purposely altered to protect the integrity of the investigation and the search for Hannah, as well as ensuring the safety of the witness. I believe that there are witnesses and information leading LE to believe that JM was the "the last person to see Hannah on the face of this earth" and to search his car and apartment, but we are not given that information! Of all the information and tips received, not one credible witness has been publicly identified and their information has not been released...I believe not because there is nothing to report or no witnesses, but because THERE ARE WITNESSES AND INFORMATION, and they have been advised to refrain from going public! Hopefully, forensics will tell us something!

BTW...The main murderer in my relative's situation was regarded as "nowhere near the scene and was home with his family and can prove it (never did)", "is a good father and family man", "just a drug dealer, not a murderer"...but sentenced to life in prison without payroll for hanging a person from a tree, setting her on fire in a field, and leaving her to die!

Totally agree!!! Why would the hash tag #Matthew be at the end of the first tweet if that wasn't the end of it? Really do NOT think WM is LE.

Because that's how twitter basically works if you're being effective.

IF you hashtag correctly/efficiently. And #Matthew is not that frankly. Too common, too often actually a first name, and not specific to even help with what hashtags are really to do.

She was trying to make it clear it's related to the HG case, and trying to explain that the guy was JM, she just wasn't doing it well.

And it was already horribly worded.

She has started a HUGE mess now because people will go racing from here saying "People at WS said that WG is LE!!" :facepalm:

I think they are supposed to try to resolve cases and get information, too. Presuming guilt prematurely may lead to tunnel vision, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMO This is why there are POI's and sometimes they become SUSPECTS.........as warrants are issued and witnesses speak and evidence is gathered. JMO

That's intriguing, but I think you are reading symbolism into what he was saying. The tunnels would be easy for LE to search because they are self-contained.
I think everything he said and the phrases he used were carefully crafted
re: the steam tunnels

I don't know what post originally prompted the discussion so forgive me if I'm a little unclear as to why these are being mentioned now.

I've been in the steam tunnels. It's not easy to get in them and the network of tunnels is mostly on grounds as far as I know. So for him OR for Hannah to be in there, they would have needed to enter from some location on grounds which, IMO, is highly unlikely as a lot of people are still out at 2-3am as everyone's stumbling home drunk at that time. Someone surely would have seen them.

I'm not sure if people are suggesting that HE be down there or if they think he's stashed the body down there but either way I think it's a little implausible. He'd surely have been seen lugging a body around the grounds in an attempt to find an entrance that he could get in. And, honestly, I'm not even sure HE would fit through one of the manhole entrances. The doorway entrances are typically accessible inside certain university buildings which would either be locked at night or only accessible via a key card.

I entered through an actual door when I went in them and it was one that normally is kept locked but the door was broken at the time. Once inside, there are many places where you have to maneuver over pipes and up ladders. I can't really envision either of them being in there.

bbm would HG fit? someone else waiting for her below - he wouldn't have to be lugging her body around

Description of hair was inaccurately reported by witness or inaccurately provided to the public.

If it was inaccurately reported by the witness, this makes me thing that they missed a huge window of opportunity, they initially ignored the man with the dreadlocks. and also that they did indeed put those videos out without noticing any of the current POIs movements.

This makes me thing that when they said something was a reflection, they honestly thought it was, because they were indeed looking for some bald man.

Wait...has no one said "narcissist" yet?? Comes up in almost every case, jmo, lol, etc

This may not be the intent but the Wanted Poster certainly alerts young women to stay away from this guy because he is a POI in the disappearance of at least 1 young lady. In that respect, I do not think it is over the top. I'm sure LE has very good reasons for believing he knows where HG is.
This case appears to have evolved into a lot of 'show boating', with out much else. I guess this means someone is up for re-election next year. Commonwealth's Attorney perhaps?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/police-issue-wanted-poster-for-man-seen-with-u-va-student-before-she-went-missing/2014/09/22/062b1a46-428c-11e4-9a15-137aa0153527_story.html

Quote from article about this wanted poster: "Though such posters are usually reserved for situations when police are trying to track down suspected violent criminals, drug dealers, abductors and fugitives, the Charlottesville Police Department wants Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., 32, on two counts of reckless driving. Matthew has not been charged with any crime related to Graham’s disappearance, and police have presented no evidence that a crime occurred. "

It would appear, that Washington Post has the sense that a Wanted poster, is over the top?

And further, "The poster release also came two days after Matthew walked through the police department’s front door, met with police, asked for a lawyer, was allowed to leave, and was then cited as he allegedly sped away. The photograph on the poster is dated Sept. 19 — Friday — the day police searched his car and Charlottesville apartment after surveillance video showed him walking with Graham through a pedestrian mall about a mile east of the U-Va. campus."

Seriously, a wanted poster? Ridiculous theatrics. Who knows if JLM is guilty or innocent. But IMO, the community is being manipulated to have a very specific opinion about the POI. How many people out there, would say, "Hell, if he's on a wanted poster, he must have done something!" I think this 'University' town is trying like hell, to protect its reputation. This is seriously bad press. And I think behind the scenes, Chief Longo (long-on theatrics, short on evidence at this point) has been charged with doing 'whatever it takes', to convey a show of authority.

And still nothing, about the 2 additional attacks that occurred on the same weekend that HG disappeared. One of the two women, left for dead - mere blocks from where HG lived and partied.

A 'Wanted" poster... completely ridiculous.

And now we have moved to calling JM a serial killer....

If that's in reference to my comment read it again please..I specifically said I'm not saying that about him at all I'm merely stating that just because friends say you're a "gentle giant" that in no way means you're not capable of doing horrible things and was using history to support that point..

LE has never said that JM told them "that he had a couple of drinks with HG they left togehter and parted ways." that I have seen. Some of this seems to be from what JM's grandmother told the Daily News that JM told her.

What is found in the car, the forensics on it is what is going to drive the next steps IMO unless some big new development arises.
yes that's what he told Grandma allegedly..but LE did speak to him but didn't release what transpired in that conversation.

..maybe...
But sometimes in tweets people use CONT. for "continued from first tweet" , so that it completes a phrase...
I'm confused now...LOL..
Well have to wait and see...
My son helped to interpret the tweets... He's 20 and he told me about CONT...
Ill step back from trying to interpret twitter for now...lol

Yes, Cont'd means continued.

As in the two tweets are related in this case, since she didn't relay all the information from Police in one tweet.

It's not literally continued in this sense or she would not have added the second "Police:"

She's being intentional to try to prevent what's happening here anyway because of her awkward wording and her ineffiencent hashtags adding unnecessary confusion. :facepalm:

I didn't follow that case closely enough to make an informed decision. But I will say that JM is not Scott Peterson, therefore it is unfair to judge him as such.

Who says he's beig judged to be another Scott peterson? You sstated friends are in a position to know your character more than anyone else. I just pointed out how that's not always true. Scott Peterson, Denis Rader, Ted Bundy, Justin Ross Harris, etc. A few examples among countless people whose friends had no idea who they really were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bridgetraiann