VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He fled and to lose the tail he must have pulled some James Bond driving move which was very dangerous. That behavior looks shady.

Not to mention, when they do catch him, he will be considered a flight risk because of this.

I just subscribed, so hopefully I'm following all the rules with this first post.

I was just reading this article - http://www.wtop.com/41/3706718/Home-of-man-seen-with-missing-UVa-student-searched - and found this part to be kind of ironic..

"I believe Jesse Matthew was the last person she was seen with before she vanished off the face of the Earth because it's been a week and we can't find her," Charlottesville police Chief Timothy Longo said. "I've made no mistake about it. We want to talk to Jesse Matthew. We want to talk to him. We want to talk to him about his interaction with this sweet, young girl we can't find."

But, Longo also noted that "I don't want to get tunnel vision just because we have a name, just because we saw her with a particular person."

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like there has been a *lot* of tunnel vision happening towards the one POI (JM) in this case? I mean, JM is not really making himself look very good through all of this but, we really don't know at this point yet if he's innocent or guilty and it sure seems like Longo is gunning for him. IMO it seems a little too late to be stating that he doesn't want to get tunnel vision. Or does anyone think this could be a subtle way of him saying there are other potential POI's that we don't even know about yet?

And on a slightly off topic note, I pulled up JM's wanted poster today and found that we share the same birthday :/

I really, really want them to find and bring her home alive.

:welcome: to WS! Well said!

I HAVE A GOOD THEORY I THINK:

JM was in the mall looking for a women to pick up

+Why is he in the downtown mall at 1am ALONE? He is 32 you would expect him to be partying with his friends. He is hunting for a girl that's what he's doing

+There are multiple bars/clubs in the mall. It is a prime spot to pick up a girl especially a drunk one

+A poster on here said that they have a friend who works with JM at the medical center and that there friend and some employee's think he is a nice guy (I have seen a few people who know him say this and this could be how he gains a women's trust) but he stares at the women in a creepy way and has no sense of personal space. His landlord at his apartments just recently talked to reporters and said he is generally nice and kind but can get demanding at times

+He saw HG alone and how she is dressed (I'm not blaming her), he loops around, follows and approaches her and put his arm around her since he has no sense of personal space. HG may have felt it was strange but just acted friendly. If she was disoriented like WG apparently says he may have saw that and took advantage of it

+He takes her to Tempo to get her more drunk and possibly slips a drug in her drink or she may not have even drank any alcohol

+I think HG was looking for a bar, was suppose to meet 1 or more friends at a bar. I think she was looking for a bar based on her behavior at McGrady's and the fact that she is mainly walking on the main roads, if she was looking for a house party she would be walking on the side streets in the residential area. I think she went into the mall intentionally since there are multiple bars down there. She is also dressed up like she is going to a club/bar

+Some people think they may have known each other and she may have been meeting him in the mall but they probably don't because multiple things don't add up. He most likely has a cell phone so why wouldn't she text him and have him come pick her up in his car. Also multiple articles say that she was texting her friends while she was walking around telling them she is lost and I would guess she was asking them for some directions. And in the mall if they knew each other when he is cutting through the middle she is right there he clearly sees her and he would say her name to stop her. And if she knew him and was going to the mall to meet him she would have been looking around for him and he is right there walking across to her side and she walks by him. That activity in Sal's video shows that they probably don't know each other

I am a fairly new sleuth, so don't beat me up too badly for this thought,but here goes: Is it possible that LE is "pretending" to focus on Mr. Matthews so as to put the "real" POI at ease? Follow him? See where he goes, who he calls, what he does? I've probably been watching too many crime shows but this did cross my mind!

I don't think they are false in that he likely sped away but I think the tailed him and 'harassed' him enough that he just wanted to get away. I think he took off quickly (but maybe not dangerously), they gave a half-hearted attempt to follow him for a very short distance then quickly charged him. I think they wanted to push him to the brink of doing something so they could get some kind of charge on him and they were successful.

Actually, I think they're exercising an abundance of caution in this case. They're under a media microscope and are aware any action they take will be scrutinized and criticized by the public. If an accident occurred during a high speed chase, the police probably would be criticized. If the evidence shows he's a suspect, they'll be criticized for letting him escape. It's a no-win situation.

I actually think they're very aware of public perception of how this case is managed. They know any decision they make will be carefully observed for any hint of racial discrimination, so they're going by the book. They're walking a fine line between finding Hannah and dealing with public criticism. For now, I'm willing to withhold judgment until the evidence testing is completed.

As others have said, finding Hannah is the number one priority.

I am a fairly new sleuth, so don't beat me up too badly for this thought,but here goes: Is it possible that LE is "pretending" to focus on Mr. Matthews so as to put the "real" POI at ease? Follow him? See where he goes, who he calls, what he does? I've probably been watching too many crime shows but this did cross my mind!

If LE was how cruel would that be to JM? I mean, it's witch huntery in Virginia right now.

Not to mention the law suits and all kinds of things.

I've posted this question before and then could never find a response, if any, because the threads were moving so fast, but has video been released of the guy putting his arm around her, or has this simply been reported by LE with no visuals?

Hoping to get an answer now that the thread is a bit quieter. Thanks fellow sleuthers!

the late nighters always have the best info, imo... not speaking of myself.... but that is why I am here ... I don't have a link, but I think there is video. I know....im no help at all....

I've posted this question before and then could never find a response, if any, because the threads were moving so fast, but has video been released of the guy putting his arm around her, or has this simply been reported by LE with no visuals?

Hoping to get an answer now that the thread is a bit quieter. Thanks fellow sleuthers!

No video of that released, just from the mouth of LE.

+Why is he in the downtown mall at 1am ALONE? He is 32 you would expect him to be partying with his friends. He is hunting for a girl that's what he's doing

+There are multiple bars/clubs in the mall. It is a prime spot to pick up a girl especially a drunk one

+A poster on here said that they have a friend who works with JM at the medical center and that there friend and some employee's think he is a nice guy (I have seen a few people who know him say and this could be how he could lure women) but he stares at the women in a creepy way and has no sense of personal space. He may like to touch women.

+He saw HG alone and how she is dressed (I'm not blaming her), he loops around, follows and approaches her and put his arm around her since he has no sense of personal space

+He takes her to Tempo to get her more drunk and possibly slips a drug in her drink

+Some people think they may have known each other but they probably don't because multiple things don't add up. He most likely has a cell phone so why wouldn't she text him and have him come pick her up in his car. Also multiple articles say that she was texting her friends while she was walking around lost telling them she is lost and I would guess she was asking them for some directions. And in the mall if they knew each other when he is cutting through the middle she is right there she would have seen him and he probably would have said her name top stop her. That activity in Sal's video shows that they probably don't know each other.

+I think HG was looking for a bar, was suppose to meet 1 or more friends at a bar. I think she was looking for a bar based on her behavior at McGrady's and the fact that she is mainly walking on the main roads, if she was looking for a house party she would be walking on the side streets in the residential area. I think she went into the mall intentionally since there are multiple bars down there. She is also dressed up like she is going to a club/bar

It's reasonable to believe sex or a specific type of sex is the motive.

'

- 1:06 a.m. Graham is captured on surveillance video at Sal's Pizza on East Main Street. A white man walks into the camera's view, looks over his shoulder then steps into a doorway. Graham walks past him and then he starts walking behind her. He later came to police and told them he was following Graham because she seemed distressed and he wanted to make sure she was safe.

Above is from this thread's page 1 timeline.
The part of about stepping into a doorway, and following her - I don't like the sound of that.

+A poster on here said that they have a friend who works with JM at the medical center and that there friend and some employee's think he is a nice guy (I have seen a few people who know him say this and this could be how he could lure women) but he stares at the women in a creepy way and has no sense of personal space. He may like to touch women.

+He saw HG alone and how she is dressed (I'm not blaming her), he loops around, follows and approaches her and put his arm around her since he has no sense of personal space

+He takes her to Tempo to get her more drunk and possibly slips a drug in her drink

+Some people think they may have known each other but they probably don't because multiple things don't add up. He most likely has a cell phone so why wouldn't she text him and have him come pick her up in his car. Also multiple articles say that she was texting her friends while she was walking around lost telling them she is lost and I would guess she was asking them for some directions. And in the mall if they knew each other when he is cutting through the middle she is right there she would have seen him and he probably would have said her name top stop her. That activity in Sal's video shows that they probably don't know each other.

ITA. I think that's one of the least far-fetched, most likely theories so far.

+A poster on here said that they have a friend who works with JM at the medical center and that there friend and some employee's think he is a nice guy (I have seen a few people who know him say this and this could be how he could lure women) but he stares at the women in a creepy way and has no sense of personal space. He may like to touch women.

Only thing that does not add up for me i

1. if she was lost why would she not use a gps on her cell phone to find her way to whatever location she wanted. If she could text her friends for directions etc why not just put the bar in and it would give you pedestrian instructions

2. if he drugged her, why would he have no drugged other women at the bar any of the other times he went there. He was a regular and everyone knew him there. So , I doubt he would drug her.

If LE was how cruel would that be to JM? I mean, it's witch huntery in Virginia right now.

Not to mention the law suits and all kinds of things.

Well, LE talked to Mr. Matthew when he came to the station, so I was thinking that maybe they brought him in on the scheme. ?

He fled and to lose the tail he must have pulled some James Bond driving move which was very dangerous. That behavior looks shady.
It could have been as simple as driving 35 in a 15 mph zone. We just don't know. Since he was in a residential area when he did it, though, it's probably not a bad guess.

Well, LE talked to Mr. Matthew when he came to the station, so I was thinking that maybe they brought him in on the scheme. ?

I just find that highly doubtful. I can't imagine anyone agreeing, willingly to that...and a lawyer wouldn't advise him to do so (he was given a lawyer...we do not know if the lawyer was retained).

The local boards have stated that there was a frat party event at McGradys that night. I wonder if that was her destination all along and then when she got there couldn't get in for some reason.

Regarding the last press conference and Longo. There was a LOT of psychology at play with Longo's word choices and I think it was intentional. He repeatedly says "I believe" before he tells us his thoughts on certain aspects of the case. These thoughts can be debated, and we don't take it as fact because "I believe" does not mean "I am sure". We even start to doubt him perhaps, because we are listening and waiting for him to drop a bomb, but he continues to throw out his opinion, "what he believes", we surmise. Then he moves into another territory, where he discusses things we know as fact, things we saw with our own eyes on the surveillance tape. He also says "he believes" these things. So now we are subconsciously thinking that everything he says "he believes" is true. It is fascinating to me and I wonder if they have experts who help him with the wording and strategy in his speeches.

The local boards have stated that there was a frat party event at McGradys that night. I wonder if that was her destination all along and then when she got there couldn't get in for some reason.

so why would she go down town then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member