VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they had pants and underwear maybe that's where the intent charge came from..
Don't you think this is extremely unlikely?

Would he leave something like that in his car or house?

Plus, that is not enough to support a crime, is it?

Lol. So true. I feel like my opinion is swinging back and forth because of all these different interpretations. I would be an awful juror[emoji33]

I actually think the opposite, you would likely be a good juror because you are able to keep an open mind to other opinions and facts

This isn't about agreeing with a conviction, it's about agreeing with an arrest warrant. Given that he was the last known person to be with her AND the fact that LE AND a judge believe they have enough evidence to issue a warrant is enough for me to support his arrest. Let's call a spade a spade here. If LE were just going to arrest him for the sake of arresting him, they would have done so much sooner. They clearly have evidence that we are not privy to, and have said as much.

To those who wish to convict Jesse Matthew based solely on the fact that he's been charged by the authorities..........I hope to never have you as a "jury of my peers".

Nope, I have no idea if she normally wore panties or not, or what kind she might have worn if she wore them. BUT, her pants are missing as well and searchers weren't asked to look for those!! Which leads me to believe that it's possible LE has possession of those pants. But I don't know that as a fact!!

How do you know her pants are missing? Or aren't missing?

The police cannot put out a warrant for his arrest if they do not believe he is responsible. That would be the end of all of their careers--LE, judge, etc--and set the city, state, FBI up for enormous lawsuits.

Sure they can. The question is what is the basis for their belief. It might simply be video showing the two of them together for a period, and then they interpreted his nervousness at being interviewed subsequently as evidence of guilt. That is all they would need to get a warrant. Until we actually see something else, assuming that they have other evidence is a leap.

Perhaps they fear that a witness will be in danger with JM on the lam.

And/or the witness decided to save testimony for a courtroom, perhaps on advisement from others.

Supposedly COY BAREFOOT was to publish an article today about interviews he had with people who saw her at Tempo with Matthew.........he went on and on about it yesterday on his radio show to hype it but I still have not seen it. His show is on InsideC'ville at 4pm...............but as I said I have not seen this "article". Perhaps LE asked him not to publish???? I am confused. JMO.

That tweet a few pages back about searching Hannah's home, is this first time they are doing this? I would think one of the things from the start would be to check her computer to see if there was indication of her meeting up with a person she met online, or anything else that might help. A diary, if girls even do that anymore?

But don't you think the Main Street area is an area freshmen frequent often?

I graduated from UVA, and I can say that it would not be at all unusual for a student to have been at UVA for an entire year and never have visited the downtown mall. UVA has a pervasive party culture, and all of this centers on Grounds, so while a first-year student may have heard of the downtown mall, it's entirely possible that a first-year would not have actually been there. I think I only went to the downtown mall once before I graduated from UVA, and that was for a very special restaurant.

UVA Glossary:

Grounds - this is the proper term for what other colleges call "campus."

First-Year, Second-Year, Third-Year, Fourth-Year - these are the adjectives that correspond to what other colleges term freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior

How do we know the police briefed the searchers?

It was in the media. Searchers had to preregister in order to search. There was a meeting on Friday before Saturday and Sunday searches. They were again briefed before each time they went out on a search of the do and don't, what to look for, what to do if they found something that might be part of the case, etc. Some posters from here were part of the searches as well.

The charges only indicate what LE thinks happened. A lot of people have speculated that this is just a charge that they can later update, but who knows.

So they can charge him with this without any evidence? Just what they "think" happened? I'm not being snarky, seriously questioning.

ETA and if they can simply charge him based on what they "think" happened why didn't they charge him from day one? Again, not being snarky, trying to understand the basis for charges.

That, or he once dyed his dreads a lighter color a while back and his roots have since grown out. Dyeing and dip-dyeing dreads is very common. He may not have done that either. The ends of my sister's hair are a lot lighter than the roots even though she's never colored her hair. Oh and when dreads are tightened, gel is used and also makes the roots appear darker and texture smoother.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

yep, the ends of my dreads when i had them, and my hair right now, is much lighter than at the roots. it's been on my head a lot longer and has been exposed to the sun a lot more than the roots.

The charge is based on the specific code section below. I also have a strong hunch they have some hard evidence of a sexual assault.

§ 18.2-48. Abduction with intent to extort money or for immoral purpose.

Abduction (i) of any person with the intent to extort money or pecuniary benefit, (ii) of any person with intent to defile such person, (iii) of any child under sixteen years of age for the purpose of concubinage or prostitution, (iv) of any person for the purpose of prostitution, or (v) of any minor for the purpose of manufacturing child *advertiser censored* shall be punishable as a Class 2 felony. If the sentence imposed for a violation of (ii), (iii), (iv), or (v) includes a term of confinement less than life imprisonment, the judge shall impose, in addition to any active sentence, a suspended sentence of no less than 40 years. This suspended sentence shall be suspended for the remainder of the defendant's life subject to revocation by the court.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-48

No, it means they have a suspicion, but no evidence. If they had evidence they would be filing more direct allegations than "intent".

So they can charge him with this without any evidence? Just what they "think" happened? I'm not being snarky, seriously questioning.

Whatever evidence they do have, it would still only support their interpretation of events. LE was not there whenever what happened to HG happened. They can only speculate and do their best to prove their case. That is all. So, charges being filed don't mean JM absolutely without a fact kidnapped HG. It only means that LE believes that is what happened and believes their evidence supports that. That is the whole reason we have trials.

Last night he (Coy) promised (on FB ) to publish late this morning.

As of 10 minutes ago, he still hadn't.

He is however, doing a decent job at keeping Hannah's name in the public eye.

That tweet a few pages back about searching Hannah's home, is this first time they are doing this? I would think one of the things from the start would be to check her computer to see if there was indication of her meeting up with a person she met online, or anything else that might help. A diary, if girls even do that anymore?

I would have to go back to thread one to see, but IIRC, they did take items from her home in the beginning, electronic stuff. Probably looked to see if her clothing was there that she was last seen wearing as well, but I'm not positive on that. Too many cases and I might have that confused with another. So I'll say IMO, but it should be in the media link thread, or in the first thread of this case.

:moo:

It was in the media. Searchers had to preregister in order to search. There was a meeting on Friday before Saturday and Sunday searches. They were again briefed before each time they went out on a search of the do and don't, what to look for, what to do if they found something that might be part of the case, etc. Some posters from here were part of the searches as well.
Unless they were specifically told to search for OTHER pieces of clothing, it means nothing.

She is missing...... maybe she is still wearing the pants?

Of course they can't. They must have probable cause. https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-72

Whether we agree with that probable cause is certainly up for debate, but this was in response to someone who said perhaps LE don't even believe he is responsible, and are just using this warrant for other purposes while they look for the real suspect (I can't recall exactly what was said)

Sure they can. The question is what is the basis for their belief. It might simply be video showing the two of them together for a period, and then they interpreted his nervousness at being interviewed subsequently as evidence of guilt. That is all they would need to get a warrant. Until we actually see something else, assuming that they have other evidence is a leap.

I don't think people are convicting JM solely on the fact that he has been charged by authorities.

I think that the fact that he ran may have a little to do with how people feel.

And that he was the last known person ( at this time) seen with her AFAIK

He has not made things easy for himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members