VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The text SAYS she was near 14th and Wertland but IMO, she was not. I believe the perp texted that message from her phone, to make others believe he dropped her off there, but there is no evidence that Hannah was ever near 14th and Wertland at 120 am. Does that make sense?

Ok, just got out of bed to post a theory and lo and behold I see this post.

My theory is that they popped in Tempo so she could use the restroom. She leaves her phone on the table/bar with him. A text comes in from her friends-"What's up? Where are you?" HE texts back the "coming to a party. lost at 14th and Wertland" knowing that's a general area that students frequent or live in. Supposedly they were at the bar about 15 minutes. That would make the text timing just about right. JMO

Reading her twitter, it appears she was recently on a medicine for copd

14th and Wertland is the location of the last text message ... at 1:20AM. Hannah was apparently with the large black man at that time, because we know that they were at Tempo after 1:08AM, and she got in the car with him after he purchased alcohol for take-out at Tempo ... and about 15 minutes passed.

Screwy timeline.

12 minutes after she was seen near Tempo, she was texting that she was lost a mile away from 14th and Wertland, but apparently in the meantime she spent up to 15 minutes near Tempo with the suspect, then willingly got into his car.

I wish we knew where they were getting the times for the texts. Because if her friend received the text at 1:20 am, Hannah might have sent them earlier, and they were delayed. That happens to me quite a bit.

Ok Otto, please don't hate me for this. I promise I'll stop nit picking after this.
They did not get alcohol to go. Chief or Moodey (can't recall) said He bought alcohol. And they were not there long. We had a ton of discussion over the fact alcohol to go is illegal etc......On and on, and on. The way I interpreted it was as if he may have bought a shot or possibly a quickly downed alcohol beverage of some sort. I could be wrong on that note too though. I don't think it was like he stopped in there for a couple solo cups of booze for the ride. Again, my interpretation of the info from the news conference only.
I agree. Detective Sgt. Mooney said nothing about leaving the establishment with alcohol, only that alcohol was "purchased". According to Mooney, the pair was in the bar approximately fifteen minutes, ample time to be served and consume a shot or a quick cocktail.

JMO

Has the actual text about being lost been published to show the exact wording? Just thinking that when she said she was "coming to a party", that she was lost, and then gave the 14th & Wertland address that maybe that address was where she was heading to party rather than her saying where she was located. I also wonder about the whole being lost thing--how does that happen with cell phones and maps?

Won't they be able to tell where that text was sent from? How close can they get to a location? I don't really know how all that works.

They might be able to tell where it was sent from, but since the known locations in this case are so close together (aside from POI's apt), I would think it would ping off the same tower, or give a general indication of the area but nothing specific. I hope if they haven't already, they will get the phone records real soon. In a previous case, they said the perps phone pinged a cell tower that was near a university, but the area it covered could take 7 minutes to drive from one end to the other. Hope I am making sense; it is late ;)

They might be able to tell where it was sent from, but since the known locations in this case are so close together (aside from POI's apt), I would think it would ping off the same tower, or give a general indication of the area but nothing specific. I hope if they haven't already, they will get the phone records real soon. In a previous case, they said the perps phone pinged a cell tower that was near a university, but the area it covered could take 7 minutes to drive from one end to the other. Hope I am making sense; it is late ;)
Makes perfect sense. That's kind of what I was thinking. Thank you!

The text SAYS she was near 14th and Wertland but IMO, she was not. I believe the perp texted that message from her phone, to make others believe he dropped her off there, but there is no evidence that Hannah was ever near 14th and Wertland at 120 am. Does that make sense?

Yes, it does make sense. If she was not coherent and wandering around aimlessly, it is doubtful she was able to text that message with a detailed street intersection.

Where did Hannah live before going to college? Did she just start attending UVA in August? Wondering if she knew her way around the area, had she not been drinking.

Yes, it does make sense. If she was not coherent and wandering around aimlessly, it is doubtful she was able to text that message with a detailed street intersection.

Where did Hannah live before going to college? Did she just start attending UVA in August? Wondering if she knew her way around the area, had she not been drinking.
She's in her second year at UVA. She lived in Northern Va (I think) since the age of 5.

Won't they be able to tell where that text was sent from? How close can they get to a location? I don't really know how all that works.

I think it depends on what phone she has, how many towers around, have they went through the pings that hit the closest tower and determined which are hers and if she had location services switched on on her phone and/or separate apps that track location. ... la la la- in untech Mom terms :)

I am wondering if the probable cause to search the apt was the license plate number. Maybe they had to get a visual id on it to run the plates on the premises. Technicality of law.

Its possible an eye witness got the plate number. It seems like a lot of the evidence so far is based on eye witnesses

Yes, makes sense.
I can't recall who first posted a link to the Geospatial Intelligence & Social Analytics (GISA) company, but here it is again. Fascinating how the time and location of some texts, can be identified, quite precisely. It seems to depend on whether or not they are using certain apps or social media (Instagram, Twitter, etc.). I am hopeful that the GISA people might be able to help.

http://gisagroup.com/index.php/conflict-research-2/102-can-social-media-solve-crime

i just read about her story the other day... apparently she is the roommate of my client's daughter's best friend.. i pray and hope that she is okay and they find her soon!

Did she just start attending UVA in August? Wondering if she knew her way around the area, had she not been drinking.

It was her sophomore year. I think her freshman year she lived on campus but she still probably went off campus. I have a feeling she knew her general way around the area but didn't know the details. The area she was walking around in was just a 1 mile area. From her apartment to Tempo is a 30 minute walk. When people say she was lost I don't think she was lost looking for her home because her apartment was right around the block from the house party she left. Walking around for a little over an hour is strange. She was obviously looking for something or someone. Where she says she was lost at 14th and Wertland is around the block from her apartment. This makes me think she was lost when it came to looking for a party and not her house.

Ok, just got out of bed to post a theory and lo and behold I see this post.

My theory is that they popped in Tempo so she could use the restroom. She leaves her phone on the table/bar with him. A text comes in from her friends-"What's up? Where are you?" HE texts back the "coming to a party. lost at 14th and Wertland" knowing that's a general area that students frequent or live in. Supposedly they were at the bar about 15 minutes. That would make the text timing just about right. JMO

I thought about the bathroom scenario, too...maybe that's why she was "distressed" (she did a lot of walking after doing a lot of drinking).

As for someone else texting that last message on HG's phone, maybe he used that address because he was at the party earlier, which was just down the street from that intersection? And she was comfortable being around him because she had seen him earlier that night? Far fetched, but just looking for something that makes some sense....

That may be significant, if any of her activities that night, caused her to have difficulty breathing.
She seems awfully fit, though, not really someone with breathing issues (not to say that drugs or other substance couldn't have caused issues, just saying that she seems generally healthy).

hg1.jpg
Link

What really breaks my heart is this one, though:

hg2.jpg
Link

If only someone had had Hannah's back when she needed it.

eta: sorry, I don't know why the screenshots are so small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missnurse09