VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. After hearing that mother cry. I can't even.

she resisted going out to do the PC. But I think it was exactly what JM's mom and G'ma needed to see, so they encouraged her to do it. I hope they have some empathy...

I have been reading this thread for some time and feel compelled to post regarding JM’s potential reasons for refusing to speak to police. I disagree that race should not be discussed in this context. If the conclusion that JM has something to hide is being drawn because he won’t speak to police on the advice of his attorney, then we must all consider other reasons for him not coming forward. First, a disclosure: both of my sons are minorities from groups that have traditionally been treated unjustly by LE and the courts. I can assure you unequivocally that if either of them were in JM’s shoes under the exact conditions that we know about, they would not be speaking to LE without an attorney, period, and perhaps not even then. This would be true in any jurisdiction on earth, whether North, South, East or West.

Some have stated that the “only” thing that is important in this case is finding HG. As other have pointed out, this is not true if viewed through JM’s eyes. The most important thing to him and his family is probably his own life, whether he is guilty or innocent. I want to be clear that I have no idea whether he has harmed HG or not, and if more evidence comes to light that is convincing, I will turn on him like a rabid dog. But for now, I do not see any benefit to him whatsoever to talking to the police, from his point of view. This is particularly true after today’s press conference, where Longo stated that he doesn’t have tunnel vision, and then he turned around and said that he “hopes” that evidence is found in JM’s residence. It appears to me that there is a distinct possibility that Longo does indeed have tunnel vision given his obvious emotion when discussing JM, while at the same time presenting no new evidence that JM has harmed HG. Personally I would like to see dashcam video of JM allegedly driving recklessly. Longo states that JM is being “conspicuously” followed so I wouldn't think this would be a problem. IMO, of course.

Some have questioned whether there is in fact bias in the legal system. I strongly recommend that you look into the data from the Innocence Project. The Innocence Project has freed over 200 people to date using DNA. I would point you directly toward this statement from the Innocence Project website, “Racism continues to be a significant cause of wrongful convictions. While 29% of people in prison for rape are black, 64% of the people who were wrongfully convicted of rape (and then exonerated through DNA) are black. Moreover, most sexual assaults nationwide are among perpetrators and victims of the same race (the federal government says just 12% of sexual assaults are cross racial), but two-thirds of all black men exonerated through DNA evidence were wrongfully convicted of raping white people.” This is not solely an issue with LE. It starts with an arrest, and it ends with We The People, the jury, convicting. Hence it is scarcely debatable that we must consider our own biases.

Please note that I make no comment on his guilt or innocence. Rather, as with many other posters here, I am commenting on why, in my opinion, JM would hesitate to come forward, and to take it one step further, why he should hesitate to come forward. IMO, it simply cannot be denied that race is, and will likely continue to be, a factor in this case.

If JM was driving the car he had yesterday since his was impounded, is it possible that LE got a warrant to put a tracking device on it. LE was not secretly tailing him, according to Longo, it was obvious they were there. So LE made a show of following JM and then letting him get away when it is too reckless. But they actually know where he is.

The fact that LE did not release the description and license plate info of the car he was driving recklessly or where exactly they gave up following it makes me think that they are aware of where he is. They are not asking people to be on the lookout for that car.

Perhaps they want JM to think they don't know where he is and follow his movements secretly. Like Scott Peterson.

missed presser, clarification Please?
1-JM and passenger recklessly sped away from the Tempo Downtown Mall area, chase ensued & halted?
OR
2-JM was in a vehicle that recklessly sped away from police dept., presumed JM driving with a passenger, chased ensued then halted?

thank you

#2 is correct.

When they find him or if he comes back into precinct with his lawyer or not he will be issued summonses (appearance tickets) right? And then sent on his way. Then he will have to appear in court. Imo

I agree the vibe of the press conference was odd, but to me it sounded like a good old-fashioned throwdown from Longo. He's calling JM out. I'm pretty sure they think they know what happened and just need the evidence to prove it.

no video. just eyewitnesses.

I'm pretty sure in Q&A, a reporter asked about more video footage of them together and the answer was that they did have video of the two of them together after leaving Tempo. Am I misremembering?

Meh. My guess is they know where JM is right now. They didn't give any information about the car he ran in they don't need our help locating him.

If JM was driving the car he had yesterday since his was impounded, is it possible that LE got a warrant to put a tracking device on it. LE was not secretly tailing him, according to Longo, it was obvious they were there. So LE made a show of following JM and then letting him get away when it is too reckless. But they actually know where he is.

The fact that LE did not release the description and license plate info of the car he was driving recklessly or where exactly they gave up following it makes me think that they are aware of where he is. They are not asking people to be on the lookout for that car.

Perhaps they want JM to think they don't know where he is and follow his movements secretly. Like Scott Peterson.

I was thinking this as well. No BOLO. They know where he is.

If The fact that LE did not release the description and license plate info of the car he was driving recklessly or where exactly they gave up following it makes me think that they are aware of where he is. They are not asking people to be on the lookout for that car.

Hopefully the fact I wasn't listening close enough to know the answer to this question won't annoy anyone, but were they ASKED about the make/model of the car?

IMO, this PC was done purely to appeal to the emotions of any potential witnesses and the POI's family. Chief's attitude seemed to be purely directed at the POI with a sort of "You can run but you can't hide" message. I appreciate the poster that corrected me on the lawyer thing. I thought JM came in WITH a lawyer. I did not realize you could just ask for a lawyer at the police dept. It makes perfect sense to me that after asking for a lawyer, he didn't say anything. That's what a lawyer would tell him to do. Sounds like JM went in to lawyer up and get LE off his back. The crazy driving thing wasn't smart. By doing that, he basically gave LE a reason to arrest him. Whole thing is sort of crazy to me.........

sometimes you don't want LE to be emotionally involved. right now, i think it's too much. Longo has to cool it.
see: how they're treating JM without having ANY evidence yet. if this guy is innocent, his life is RUINED.

I definitely understand that. I posted not long ago about giving JM a break in regards to his behavior because you don't know what it's like to be accused if you haven't done something. But I also don't really think they're treating JM any certain way. They want to talk to him. He hasn't talked to them. I assumed from the get go that they had people tailing him and watching him. And if they saw him breaking the law, they had a right to issue warrants. His name was out before he presser so I'm surprised by how many people think all the sudden they've flopped this. Not just you, but would love to know why you feel that way.

No, I don't think any reporter asked what car JM is currently in.

I am probably close to alone in this, but not a big fan of Chief Longo (?) really, or at least of his style. I don't like it when officials are so personally or emotionally invested in a case, or act as if. Just makes me nervous. Jmo

Hopefully the fact I wasn't listening close enough to know the answer to this question won't annoy anyone, but were they ASKED about the make/model of the car?

Yes, a reporter asked that, Longo hesitated and said that he didn't have that information and then sort of stumbled a little and said he didn't know why they would withhold it.

Or perceived a threat. Regardless of whether he harmed Hannah or not, I'm sure he realizes he's a marked man and is afraid.

I'd like to know if the police and agents following him tried to pull him over (sirens/lights). Of course, causing or allowing him to drive like this would give them reason to arrest. Sorry to be so cynical.

Chief Longo said his driving was at high speed and so reckless that the Police called off the pursuit. He was outside their jurisdiction, the State Police have issued a warrant for his arrest for reckless driving..

Yes, a reporter asked that, Longo hesitated and said that he didn't have that information and then sort of stumbled a little and said he didn't know why they would withhold it.

Gues I was wrong...sorry TFF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member