VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the courts, every defendant, adult or juvenile, must be accorded the right to have a public defender present during custodial interrogation when it's requested, regardless of his or her ability to pay for one.

Read more: http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/...w/juvenile_attorney_present.htm#ixzz3E17xLMoL
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

custodial interrogation -In United States criminal law, a custodial interrogation (or, generally, custodial situation) is a situation in which the suspect's freedom of movement is restrained, even if he is not under arrest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custodial_interrogation

Here is a VERY relevant article that I recommend all those who are interested to read. I will quote the parts I think are the most relevant but really the whole article is.
http://ajrarchive.org/article.asp?id=4042

Officially, "person of interest" means..well, nothing. No one has ever formally defined it — not police, not prosecutors, not journalists.

Kristin Gazlay, the AP's deputy managing editor for national news, says that before naming anyone, "we need to look at why this person is a 'person of interest'..also we have to recognize that police sometimes use this as a technique to pressure people to talk." She says that "in cases high profile and low profile," AP editors routinely discuss whether to use the names.

"If it's a suspect and you say 'person of interest,' you're using the euphemism to avoid problems down the line," says Kouri, a former New York housing police officer. What problems? Police sometimes "try to maintain that the person really isn't a suspect" in order to get him to agree to questioning without Miranda warnings, Kouri says. "You don't want the guy to lawyer up."

Whether calling someone a "person of interest" is illegal remains to be seen; Hatfill has sued the Justice Department, Ashcroft and the FBI, alleging they violated his constitutional rights by publicly implicating him "without formally naming him as a suspect or charging him with any wrongdoing." Hatfill says the government unconstitutionally deprived him of earning a living by leaking false information to divert media attention from the fact that the government has failed to solve the case.

And I think that explains it all for me.

I doubt we will hear any more from JLM unless he is charged with a crime.

As per my most recent post I just compiled YES! I think this too!

I can speculate sometimes google maps is an annoyance to use, if I'm correctly thinking of the interactive gps feature.

There are various ways to get directions; I can't imagine HG would have been that out of it not to be able to find some directions. If the maps weren't convenient or weren't working, she could have called someone to see if they could help her out via phone if they weren't able to come get her. I don't know, to be lost for over an hour before reaching McGrady's Pub leads one to think something else was at play. Another poster wrote that in today's LE conference, it was mentioned that HG's "world was turned upside down", giving the impression something happened prior to her situation that night. There are just so many missing pieces, it feels almost a waste of time to try speculate.

Average base income for a medical transporter is listed as roughly 25k at the link below.

http://www1.salary.com/Patient-Transporter-Salary.html

IMO thats more than enough to afford a decent used car. The fact that his job consists of driving, yet a dependable car wasnt a priority for him, makes me wonder what he was spending his money on.

Maybe drugs that arent easily traceable or drinking to excess?

Leaving the police station like he did, knowing that police were probably following him and driving recklessly regardless, lends a certain amount of credence to the above theory as well.

I dont see his actions of late as belonging to a sane, sober or mentally stable person and if he is innocent then he needs to slow down and think about how his actions are being perceived and how they are hurting his defense.

JMO

Your front bumper is falling off (or partially torn off) and you are buying drinks for strangers?

Huh?

I interpret "her world turned around" as simply her going east when she should be going west or whatever. In other words, she was all turned around.

To me it seems like bad police work not other conspiracy. I think they are grasping at straws without even enough of evidence to arrest him yet. They need to wait till the forensics from the car and apartment to come back and shut up about the rest till then.

Jmo the PC today was a bad idea...or at least, handled badly. In two days or so, they should have an idea if they have evidence that Hannah was in his car or apartment and if any proof of a crime is discovered. Since he is not under arrest now, what was the hurry? I feel like this guy has political dreams and is leaping on this chance to play big bad TV cop. All eyes on him. But jmo...fine and dandy if he is right.

Average base income for a medical transporter is listed as roughly 25k at the link below.

IMO thats more than enough to afford a decent used car. The fact that his job consists of driving, yet a dependable car wasnt a priority for him, makes me wonder what he was spending his money on.

JMO

To respond, 25k is not enough to afford a decent car in this area. The cost of living in Charlottesville is nearly 10 percent higher than the national average, and housing costs are 20% higher according to the ACCRA Cost of Living Index 2011 Report. Many police officers and firefighters (who make about that) can't afford to live in the city they work to protect, nor the county immediately surrounding it. There has been a movement at UVA for many years to create a "living wage," because minimum wage won't support anyone.

There is reliable public transportation, within walking distance of JM's house, so a reliable car to work isn't a necessity.

His job as "transportation" doesn't involve vehicular transportation - it involves transporting patients, in stretchers, from point A to point B within the hospital (room to OR and back, in his case).

Remember, too, he was (apparently) employed as a taxi driver at least as recently as seven years ago. I don't know what cab drivers make around here, but it can't be much, so his 25k salary is likely relatively new in his life.

$25k translates to probably less than $22k after taxes...that is not a lot of money, Imo. Car payments are $300-500 a month, plus insurance etc. anyway...why does it matter?

You are kinda making the point - and the POI has money to buy complete strangers drinks?

Weird, I pretty much just wrote this exact same post. Are replying to me? http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...sville-13-Sept-2014-8&p=10992255#post10992255

I think she may have left the party, and

hit Grady Street, then turned Left. (This would be OK)

She then Hit Rugby Rd and took a wrong turn.

She turns Right on Rugby and then Walks until she hits the corner of another Rugby and Preston.

So Preston is actually also another Rugby.

SHe then turnes right on another Rugby, which turns into Preston

Then she walks along Preston so she is unable to view street signs indicating the streets numbers are going down.

SHe then finds herself in an area full of Prestons and Gravys.

It seems like a terrible street naming convention, and the road layout is so confusing, I have to wonder if they were initially based on indian trails. Because they certainly aren't based on a standard square plat map grid.

I swear there was a longer shell video, and it shows her not just walking by once, but walking by and stopping, then going back, and then turning around again.

I just cant help put think she is really disoriented, and she is desperately looking for a pattern of rising street numbers, which would indicate to her that she is heading home.

It's Grady not Rugby but yes otherwise you and I are on the same page. I must have been doodling on the maps as you were typing your post. Great minds think alike :D

Grady is weird. It runs in front of the bar and then merges with Preston. But that little side street between McGrady's and the car place is ALSO Grady which makes no sense but...yeah.

This is a great point!!! :scared:

And even if JM doesn't watch TV/news/etc.... I imagine there are many of his friends that do... And would recognize him enough to say... "Hey, LJ! There is a guy that looks just like you on video snippets on the news!"

JMO...

Places typically require different things (disclosure wise) or even in terms of what they even screen for in a background check.

This is from UVA on hiring:

http://www.hr.virginia.edu/other-hr...ployment/hiring-procedures/hiring-procedures/

Criminal Convictions

Applicants must disclose all criminal convictions (which have not been overturned) including moving traffic violations on the University of Virginia Application for Employment found at Jobs@UVa. This includes convictions which occurred under a name other than the name on the application and in other states or countries. Arrests, as opposed to convictions, should not be noted on the application.

The University reviews convictions on a case-by-case basis, considering the nature and gravity of the offense or offenses, the time that has passed since the conviction and/or completion of any related sentence, the nature of the job assignment, and the honesty of the applicant in completing the application. Convictions disclosed on the application form will not be used to influence the selection process if they are not considered by the University to be related to the duties of the position.

And:

Once a final candidate is recommended for hire, the University uses a third party to conduct criminal conviction checks and other background checks (investigative consumer reports). Applicants recommended for hire will be required to complete a form(s) authorizing the University to have various background checks conducted. The information requested may include information regarding your character, general reputation, employment record, education, qualifications, criminal record, driving record, credentials, credit and indebtedness and/or other job-related inquiries. Personal interviews with sources such as supervisors, associates, public record or various Federal, State, and Local agencies may also be conducted. If the applicant recommended for hire does not complete the form, or if the results of the investigation are unsatisfactory, an official offer will not be extended.

As far as Hannah's last text, if, big if in my mind, she sent it. . .she wasn't lost in the sense she didn't know where she was. She texted where she was, FFS. She was lost in that she did't know where to go. Have you never knew exactly where you were but couldn't find what you were looking for? You still think and/or say you are lost.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Excellent point. She obviously knew where she was and she also knew her friends apartment and her apartment were right there.

Maybe drugs that arent easily traceable or drinking to excess?

Leaving the police station like he did, knowing that police were probably following him and driving recklessly regardless, lends a certain amount of credence to the above theory as well.

I dont see his actions of late as belonging to a sane, sober or mentally stable person and if he is innocent then he needs to slow down and think about how his actions are being perceived and how they are hurting his defense.

From a 45 year olds perspective the condition of his car and the fact that he's still renting at 33 years old doesnt say much for stability or having his stuff together either.

JMO

His job doesn't consist of driving. He is an OR patient transporter. An orderly. He pushes hospital beds to and from the operating room in a hospital.

If LE cannot get a conviction in this case, this could be a disaster for all, including JM. He will be "convicted" either way, if no one else is charged. It is scary to think about but more than half of murders remain unsolved, especially when thought to be committed by a stranger to the victim.

On another note and likely unrelated, isn't World Bank the thing college students hate? That they protest every year?

$25k translates to probably less than $22k after taxes...that is not a lot of money, Imo. Car payments are $300-500 a month, plus insurance etc. anyway...why does it matter? Do you have any idea how many people in their thirties rent? I don't understand your post at all. Jmo

NEW car payments are 300-500 a month. You can still buy a decent used car for less than half of that even with bad credit in many places.

It matters because JLM's car and his living situation is not something you would expect from a responsible 33 year old man who has his crap together and is trying to better himself.

Ive seen 22 year olds who make less and have it more together than this guy...and IMO theres got to be an underlying reason for that.

NEW car payments are 300-500 a month. You can still buy a decent used car for less than half of that even with bad credit in many places.

It matters because JLM's car and his living situation is not something you would expect from a responsible 33 year old man who has his crap together.

Ive seen 22 year olds who make less and have it more together than this guy...and IMO theres got to be an underlying reason for that.

being poor does not make you a bad person

You are kinda making the point - and the POI has money to buy complete strangers drinks?

Oh please, what is $15 or so to sit with an attractive person for a while? I doubt he can afford to do it every night. Even those without much money have the same desires to splurge. Jmo

With the state of the economy this is the degree to which many of us millennial have our lives together. I make less than 10k a year as a graduate student, don't even have a car, and I am almost thirty. Many adults live this way. Being poor is not a character flaw.

Of course not, but to not pay your bills and buy total strangers drinks, is another matter entirely.

It's possible that was not a casual act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Littlebit62