GUILTY VA - Jean Smith, 25, shot to death, Isle of Wight County, 17 April 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cons are completely charming and believable. They sweep you off your feet and have the ability to make you believe them. Personal experience years ago. Unfortunately, the gig is inevitably going to be up when the victims become aware of the lies and the con. Sadly, this may be what happened to Jean Marie. Maybe she confronted him about the identity theft involving her grandmother. Maybe she found out his business was scam (I am speculating it was/is, in fact, a scam).

It looks like the article posted above has been updated, or at least I missed this info when I read the article earlier:

"Court documents say Saub had admitted to police that he was one of the last people to see Jean Marie alive. Police also say Saub was evasive and stated he couldn’t remember his exact whereabouts or anyone he may have spoken to during the estimated time of Jean Marie’s death.

The court documents also note that Saub showed an investigator portions of text messages during the interview process. The investigator noticed that all text messages prior to April 17th had been deleted.

It is believed that Jean Marie was killed on the night of April 16th or early on the 17th."

http://wtkr.com/2015/04/22/man-arre...nvestigation-into-former-navy-sailors-murder/

Good find! Yes it seems they are updating the article as more information is revealed..whoa .. red flag red flag!!

Another search warrant shows Saub did a factory reset on his iPhone the day Jean Marie was murdered. However, police were still able to recover a voicemail which talks about Saub getting life insurance for his company. The search warrant says Saub had created a business and used “Jean Smith” as the president of the company.

http://www.bendbulletin.com/csp/med...in/News/story.csp?cid=1522419&sid=497&fid=151

"Saub explained his actions Thursday to the judge, saying that he had become depressed about getting rejected by the U.S. military and tried to “satisfy” himself with “material possessions.”

"Dr. Susan Dragovich also testified that, based on an April evaluation, Saub might suffer from delusional disorder, self-mutilation, severe suicidal depression and a “loss of personal identity.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO: I think he will probably be using some of these statements in his attempts to justify his evil actions.

This may also be part of the motive in killing Jean Marie, since she was able to have a successful Navy stint & he wasn't even accepted into the Military

Cons are completely charming and believable. They sweep you off your feet and have the ability to make you believe them. Personal experience years ago. Unfortunately, the gig is inevitably going to be up when the victims become aware of the lies and the con. Sadly, this may be what happened to Jean Marie. Maybe she confronted him about the identity theft involving her grandmother. Maybe she found out his business was scam (I am speculating it was/is, in fact, a scam).

I assumed con-men were charmers too, but look at his social media. The guy has no charm, no sense of humor. The guy is no fun! From what I've seen of his posts, he seems like the type of guy who thinks he is smarter, more "American," and superior to everyone else.

JMO.

I don't get how this could play out. He shoots Jean Marie, presumably, in the woods. Goes back to Grandmother's house and neither of them report Jean Marie missing?

??

Maybe he had a plausible explanation for where she was?

Here is his background on LinkedIn:

President
Cascade Business Development, Inc.
February 2006 – Present (9 years 3 months)
Founder / President
Saube Enterprises, Inc
September 2009 – Present (5 years 8 months)
Vice Chair
Libertarian Party of Oregon
May 2011 – February 2014 (2 years 10 months)
Elected - Precinct Committeeman, Precinct #2
Republican Precinct Committeeperson
May 2010 – May 2011 (1 year 1 month)Clackamas County Oregon

Eric B. Saub Certificate of Election

Executive Committee Member
Clackamas County Republican Party
December 2009 – May 2011 (1 year 6 months)Clackamas County Oregon
Do political parties not run background checks? That's scary.

all i can say is WOW..........now this is why i don't like to miss even one day here at websleuths :floorlaugh: i was gone yesterday.........eric is named a POI......and BLAMO.....you people are amazing at finding the info.......

thank you so much for all the scoopage and links.....this is me this morning :lookingitup: he certainly is a shady character and i must agree with the poster that said what in the world did she see in him? :thinking:

what an interesting case.........poor jean marie :rose:

I bet he's extremely sincere and passionate about his politics. That can be very appealing.

Thank God the guy who taught me that wasn't a scam artist or murderer...

http://www.tidewaternews.com/2015/04/24/iow-sheriffs-office-seeks-help-on-homicide/

The Isle of Wight County Sheriff’s Office needs the public’s help in determining the exact whereabouts of homicide victim Jean Marie Smith during the 24 hours before her death.

Smith, 29, was out of town until the afternoon of April 15, and the approximate time of her death was on the evening of April 16.

Partially updated article: http://wtkr.com/2015/04/22/man-arre...nvestigation-into-former-navy-sailors-murder/

I wonder, based on some of the comments- if they are implying, he double crossed her? All speculation of course. Makes you wonder, her Mom in the video interview the other day indicated Jean Marie wouldn't call her back. I had wondered how long or why they were estranged? Was she with Granny too?
Hmm..

http://wtkr.com/2015/04/24/mom-had-...est-in-murder-case-is-a-convicted-con-artist/

Isle of Wight County, Va. – He’s a convicted con artist who court records show has deceived for years, but the mother of Jean Marie Smith says she wasn’t fooled.
“I just had a bad feeling, just a very bad feeling,” said Mary Jane Smith.

Jean Marie was found shot to death in a wooded area in Isle of Wight last week. Detectives confirmed to only NewsChannel 3, her roommate, Eric Saub is their main person of interest in the murder.

Over 17k followers, that's a high number
On twitter they can get high numbers by retweeting certain things. It does not necessarily mean they have that many actually individuals following them. More like bots, spammers etc...

http://www.tidewaternews.com/2015/04/24/iow-sheriffs-office-seeks-help-on-homicide/

The Isle of Wight County Sheriff’s Office needs the public’s help in determining the exact whereabouts of homicide victim Jean Marie Smith during the 24 hours before her death.

Smith, 29, was out of town until the afternoon of April 15, and the approximate time of her death was on the evening of April 16.
Police also searched electronic data on Saub’s cell phones, Facebook, iCloud and computers. According to the search, a forensic scrub of an iPhone belonging to Saub revealed that hours after the body of Jean Marie was discovered, Saub backed up numerous phone files to his MacBook Air, then deleted all files from his phone before then selecting certain files and contacts to re-add to the phone from the laptop.

Another search warrant shows Saub did a factory reset on his iPhone the day Jean Marie was murdered. However, police were still able to recover a voicemail which talks about Saub getting life insurance for his company. The search warrant says Saub had created a business and used “Jean Smith” as the president of the company.

During the execution of the search warrant at the home where Saub lived with Jean Marie and her grandmother Mary Hawalka, court documents show Hampton Police found three separate credit card statements from three different banks and a credit report in Saub’s room. All of them were in the name of Mary Halwaka.

Halwaka said she had no idea she’d been ripped off until the detectives made the discovery.

From the above article it sounds like LE have a lot to work with, in this case. They will be able to retrieve all the information and then have an electronic trail of what he was up to. He was definitely trying to hide some things but you just cannot get rid of them that easily.

Police also searched electronic data on Saub’s cell phones, Facebook, iCloud and computers. According to the search, a forensic scrub of an iPhone belonging to Saub revealed that hours after the body of Jean Marie was discovered, Saub backed up numerous phone files to his MacBook Air, then deleted all files from his phone before then selecting certain files and contacts to re-add to the phone from the laptop.

During the execution of the search warrant at the home where Saub lived with Jean Marie and her grandmother Mary Hawalka, court documents show Hampton Police found three separate credit card statements from three different banks and a credit report in Saub’s room. All of them were in the name of Mary Halwaka.

Halwaka said she had no idea she’d been ripped off until the detectives made the discovery.

From the above article it sounds like LE have a lot to work with, in this case. They will be able to retrieve all the information and then have an electronic trail of what he was up to. He was definitely trying to hide some things but you just cannot get rid of them that easily.

I'd like to know if he "scrubbed" his electronics and files like this in the past? If so, as routine or after certain events? Or, is this a one-time cleaning "out of the blue."

More on the main POI in this case. Eric Saub. This is from an older article - but you get the idea and his personality type.

http://www.bendbulletin.com/news/1522419-151/con-man-cant-escape-prison-term

“The defendant did not change his criminal behavior,” Gies said in court Thursday. “He continued his scheme of stealing from people … The defendant’s criminal conduct kept going on and on and on. He has committed theft after theft.”

Saub explained his actions Thursday to the judge, saying that he had become depressed about getting rejected by the U.S. military and tried to “satisfy” himself with “material possessions.”

“I can only ask for my deepest forgiveness from my victims,” Saub said. “I’m not denying any of it.”

Dr. Susan Dragovich also testified that, based on an April evaluation, Saub might suffer from delusional disorder, self-mutilation, severe suicidal depression and a “loss of personal identity.”

“This is a 21-year-old young man with mental health issues,” defense attorney Thomas Hill said in court Thursday.

Adler agreed that Saub needs psychiatric care but did not dismiss the weight of his charges, which include aggravated theft, identity theft and computer crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellllop
Back