VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

While Heard could appeal the verdict, she would have to post a bond for the full $10.35 million judgment, plus interest, as the appeal proceeds, according to attorney Sandra Spurgeon of Spurgeon Law Group in Lexington, Kentucky.

As noted above, Heard could appeal the verdict in hopes of getting a more favorable judgment and reducing the payment. But in the meantime, she would have to post a bond for the full $10.35 million in damages, which may or may not be feasible, Spurgeon said.

She has created quite a situation for herself. Any future statements she makes about being a victim of sexual violence or a victim of domestic violence she is going to have to clarify names. And that name cannot be Johnny Depp, or she's going to find herself on the receiving end of another $15 million dollar judgement. If not more. She would be wise to just zip it at this point, but she can't even do that. Even now, after the verdict, she is doubling down as a victim of Johnny Depp's sexual and domestic violence. Continuing the defamation. Which has just been disproved by a jury. Yet she continues.

Don't her lawyers have an obligation to tell her she is opening herself to further lawsuits if she continues to persist in defamatory behavior? Or does she not care? Or is she just not bright enough to understand legal jeopardy? From her statement today after the verdict, she's just using a shovel to dig herself deeper into the hole.

Not only that, does she not recognize that people are not going to want to work with her? Who is she going to accuse next? A movie studio? A fellow actor? Who is even going to want to be alone in an office with her? Or work on a movie set with her? Anyone with an ounce of self preservation is going to stay 100 yards away from her. Does she have no one telling her the reality of her situation or does she just not listen? IMO
Truly

What leading actor/actress, producer, director, writer will want to put themselves in the crosshairs of someone who may be recording them, coming on to them, accusing them of violence, or abuse, or worse on a shoot?

She should go hang out somewhere with her favorites substances and think about her future and the future of her child.

I wouldn't recommend her Yucca Valley place, it's very easy to find on Google maps and doesn't appear to have any restricted access because the street, which is on a cul-de-sac has multiple other homes on it.

A BR team, led by Ben Chew, won a jury verdict for actor #JohnnyDepp in his #DefamationTrial. The team also included Wayne Dennison, Rebecca Lecaroz, Stephanie Calnan, Andrew Crawford, Yarelyn Mena, Jessica Meyers, Samuel Moniz and Camille Vasquez.
View attachment 347402

Wayne Dennison who conducted superbly in JD's case was named:

Best Lawyers 2022 Lawyer of the Year for Litigation: Real Estate Boston

#IngenuityWins
https://www.thefocus.news/culture/wayne-dennison-johnny-depp

"He was leaving from the upstairs place, which is where I managed to see him [to] shake his hand and spoke to him very, very briefly. He smiled at me and said, 'Thank you,' and gave me a wink. And he seemed very gracious and happy with where he was and things like that."

Adds Spedding: "Once people spotted him and realized that he was there, there was quite a lot of support. Some people were clapping, lots of people got overexcited, as they would do with that."
It's nice that Depp had public support, but that doesn't mean anything. My abusive ex-husband was a pillar of the community, on the city counsel, a deacon at his church. A great guy. Except he was abusing me and our 2 year old daughter behind closed doors. When they dug into his ex-wives and children they uncovered a mountain of spousal and child abuse the community had no inkling of.

In this case, they did dig into his ex-wife and ex-girlfriends and none of them revealed any kind of abuse whatsoever. Those are the people I want to hear from (and did) that made me decide Depp was not a spousal or child abuser. The nice comments at the pub are great and all, but they have no clue. Other than they like the public Johnny Depp.

I don't begrudge the public support of Depp, he actually does deserve it. But be careful with "public image". It's seemingly correct in this case, but it isn't always. IMO

Celebrities whom The Daily Beast confirmed “liked” Depp’s statement on social media include LaKeith Stanfield, Zoe Saldana, Emma Roberts, Gemma Chan, Bella Hadid, Taika Waititi, Jennifer Aniston, Henry Golding, Joey King, Riley Keough, and Jason Momoa, who stars alongside Heard in the Aquaman films.

Oddly enough, Momoa double-tapped Amber Heard’s Instagram statement as well.

I’m watching Morgan and I’m also waiting for HLN to get to the story so my post may sound rambling…like Elaine:oops:

Just thinking of this one thing:
We were all wondering how she was going to explain the charity donation. I was prepared for an excuse with a statement ‘saying‘ she would eventually pay it. I don’t think anyone was prepared for the crazy ‘pledge-donation’ spin!!! And she was emphatic about it for a good 5 minutes, never backing down! I’m sure some of the jurors felt like they were hearing and seeing things. Im looking forward to hearing their thoughts some time in the future.

I shutter to think about what AH is going to do. She is scary and unstable.

I’m watching Morgan and I’m also waiting for HLN to get to the story so my post may sound rambling…like Elaine:oops:

Just thinking of this one thing:
We were all wondering how she was going to explain the charity donation. I was prepared for an excuse with a statement ‘saying‘ she would eventually pay it. I don’t think anyone was prepared for the crazy ‘pledge-donation’ spin!!! And she was emphatic about it for a good 5 minutes, never backing down! I’m sure some of the jurors felt like they were hearing and seeing things. Im looking forward to hearing their thoughts some time in the future.

I shutter to think about what AH is going to do. She is scary and unstable.
And, instead of going ahead and paying her "pledge," she wants to spend MORE money appealing this.

"The question is if she says, 'Look, I don't have it. It's not there — you can look in my bank accounts,' then we can talk about things like garnishing her wages," said CBS News legal contributor Jessica Levinson.

Heard also has the option of filing for bankruptcy, which would eliminate the $10 million in compensatory damages, Spurgeon said. But she'd still be on the hook for the $350,000 in punitive damages, which generally can't be discharged in a bankruptcy.

Depp could also decide not to execute the judgment, in effect waiving the monetary damages, Spurgeon said.

I think JD should execute the judgement, first of all to pay for the $3.5 million donation she welched on.

And then donate the rest to charities that serve domestic and sexual abuse victims.

And tell the public which charities they are.

As the jury determined the statement AH made about sexual violence in the OpEd was false,
yet she delivered obscene and multi-detailed lies about rape with a bottle and a cavity search for drugs by JD
whilst she was under oath during the trial
can she not be charged with perjury?

I honestly wouldn't be at all suprised for him to say he doesn't want her money.
He got what he came for,his good name and his life back.
I don't think he would want to cause any hardship for her daughter.
I'm not sure if he can refuse to collect or indeed just waive any claim legally though?
He could ask for it to be given to a charity of his choice?

David Ring, a Los Angeles-based attorney specializing in sexual assault and abuse cases, told Insider that Wednesday's verdict was a blow against the ACLU's reputation.

"I don't see how the ACLU comes out of this," Ring, a partner at the firm Taylor & Ring, told Insider. "They're not paying her jury verdict against her. I think it was a huge mistake for someone to ghostwrite an op-ed piece and now it turns out it was generally not true."

As the jury determined the statement AH made about sexual violence in the OpEd was false,
yet she delivered obscene and multi-detailed lies about rape with a bottle and a cavity search for drugs by JD
whilst she was under oath during the trial
can she not be charged with perjury?
Probably. But that would have to be tried on the merits. Which would involve the testimony of Depp. And I don't think he's willing to indulge this nutcase any further. He's past it. He made his point. Why give her any further attention?

What a right on assessment. I could not have said this any better. I agree 100%.
Good to hear your intellectual voice katydid23.

I see your point but I disagree.

In effect, he did show what his priorities were. His priority was to have the chance to tell his side of the horror story, in public. And to offer evidence proving his claims. He did so.

He always said that the damages were not important to him, it was most important to share his story so he could get back on with his life. So that is what he is doing now.

Playing guitar onstage with Jeff Beck is his life long dream. It was something that was set up a year ago. So now he has the chance to fulfil that dream. And it is especially fulfilling after the last 6 weeks of emotional turbulence.

So his priority has been upheld in my opinion. He told his story, set forth his case----then left it to the attorneys and the jury to rule on the evidence. There was nothing left for him to do in VA at that point. Sitting at that table was not a priority because it was his past, not his future.

Playing music with the best musicians in the world--that is his future.

I think JD should execute the judgement, first of all to pay for the $3.5 million donation she welched on.

And then donate the rest to charities that serve domestic and sexual abuse victims.

He doesn’t publish any of his donations. They are done in a Holdings name. It would be nice to hear it in this case but it’s just not who he is. Maybe he will make an exception.

The jury spoke and held her accountable. She shouldn't get off the hook. If he doesn't want her money he can donate it to a good charity. jmo.
Great minds think alike...;) I had the same thoughts.

Let him pick a charity that would greatly benefit. Maybe one for foster children or battered shelters or needy children or scholarships for students in need?

David Ring, a Los Angeles-based attorney specializing in sexual assault and abuse cases, told Insider that Wednesday's verdict was a blow against the ACLU's reputation.

"I don't see how the ACLU comes out of this," Ring, a partner at the firm Taylor & Ring, told Insider. "They're not paying her jury verdict against her. I think it was a huge mistake for someone to ghostwrite an op-ed piece and now it turns out it was generally not true."
The ACLU, lost my respect and support many years ago.

At this point, I doubt he'd donate any money owed/pledged to the ACLU. I could be wrong. I'm praying the Judge will rule against their $86,000 claim against JD for preparing for the trial. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08