VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect your opinion and feel it's so important and enlightening to hear and understand everyone's point of view.

I hate cyber bullying too, and with social media it is so easy for things to get amplified and terribly extreme.

Although I do not believe 2 wrongs make a right, I do feel AH particpated in online bullying as well with her tweet reply to Mr. Waldman about his height, and with the op-ed itself. I also believe she bullied people in real time (friends, family, employees, Johnny). I agree some of Johnny's texts were vile but they seemed to be aberrations to his overall character.

To me, if social media is a barometer of how the masses feel, it's been made loud and clear that society despises liars, exploiters and manipulators. And, it's shown that society feels compassion for those with addiction problems.

I don’t know if they determined who those text were from. They were outgoing from a different phone iirc. The other from an editorial over 25 years ago was copy/pasted.

Honestly I’m in the minority here. I wouldn’t be able to agree with either side. I see them both as very toxic people - Johnny with his entitlement issues, drug dependency, alcohol and terrible terrible verbal abuse and those texts! Omg those vile texts. Who says that stuff? Why did he marry her? Why didn’t he leave sooner? It’s not hard stretch for me to believe that he hit her at some point and it wasnt always reactive abuse. I also don’t think highly of Amber’s behavior at all. I see her as being extremely aggressive and a bully and also terribly abusive. The trial has become a circus and a terrible terrible tragedy for victims in the future who might be afraid to come forward. And also, I don’t approve of the vile things being said or the intense amount cyber bullying going on. I can’t stand turning on my computer every morning and seeing Amber this, Amber that. Remember Monica Lewinski, Brittany Spears? Do you remember what society did to them? Monica almost took her own life because society was relentless in beating her up for her personal mistakes. It’s uncalled for. There are messed up people in every walk of life. There are murderers, child killers yet are chose to beat up on a woman who may or may not have falsely accused her partner of abuse or who may have even suffered abuse. I’m going to choose to refrain from bullying and just hope and pray she gets the therapy and help she needs - as well Johnny. This trial has made me sad for our society.

I think a big part of the reason there is so much anger toward AH is because most folks, I think, truly despise bullies, and injustice, and AH appears to be one, and be trying to get away with the other.

Thankfully, that makes folks angry, as both should, in a civilized society.
Regrettably, it often brings out the worst in folks in terms of cruel comments.
It's the fruit, of the kind of hoax garbage many believe AH to be guilty of.

It all stinks and it's all a result of AH's op-ed, that she now admits was in fact was all about Johnny, after testifying on the stand that it was not about him. None of it needed or should have happened but for AH wanting to make a name for herself.

jmo

I think a big part of the reason there is so much anger toward AH is because most folks, I think, truly despise bullies, and injustice, and AH appears to be one, and be trying to get away with the other.

Thankfully, that makes folks angry, as both should, in a civilized society.
Regrettably, it often brings out the worst in folks in terms of cruel comments.
It's the fruit, of the kind of hoax garbage many believe AH to be guilty of.

It all stinks and it's all a result of AH's op-ed, that she now admits was in fact was all about Johnny, after testifying on the stand that it was not about him. None of it needed or should have happened but for AH wanting to make a name for herself.

jmo

I think she could face perjury but that rarely happens in a case like this.

I'd love to see a poll on how long we all think it will take a jury to reach their verdict.
It's already been mentioned Friday evening, and I think I might agree with that.

I would also go with Friday evening. These poor jurors have been there for 6 weeks! They more than likely do not ever want to return back to the courtroom. From my perspective, if I was on the jury...my mind would be made up already. So, if that would be the case for this jury..a quick hands up vote would be completed rather quickly. On to award amounts. That won't take too long, if they all want out of there! Go Jury!

Does this imply that generally damages are figured out AFTER the verdict?

Awarding Damages After Winning At Trial

If the plaintiff's case is successful, the jury will be instructed to award "damages" - that is, an amount of money to be paid by the defendant to the plaintiff.

Hopefully, this will be clarified during jury instructions tomorrow. I've never watched a civil trial and am eager to learn how the verdict and monetary distributions play out.

Honestly I’m in the minority here. I wouldn’t be able to agree with either side. I see them both as very toxic people - Johnny with his entitlement issues, drug dependency, alcohol and terrible terrible verbal abuse and those texts! Omg those vile texts. Who says that stuff? Why did he marry her? Why didn’t he leave sooner? It’s not hard stretch for me to believe that he hit her at some point and it wasnt always reactive abuse. I also don’t think highly of Amber’s behavior at all. I see her as being extremely aggressive and a bully and also terribly abusive. The trial has become a circus and a terrible terrible tragedy for victims in the future who might be afraid to come forward. And also, I don’t approve of the vile things being said or the intense amount cyber bullying going on. I can’t stand turning on my computer every morning and seeing Amber this, Amber that. Remember Monica Lewinski, Brittany Spears? Do you remember what society did to them? Monica almost took her own life because society was relentless in beating her up for her personal mistakes. It’s uncalled for. There are messed up people in every walk of life. There are murderers, child killers yet are chose to beat up on a woman who may or may not have falsely accused her partner of abuse or who may have even suffered abuse. I’m going to choose to refrain from bullying and just hope and pray she gets the therapy and help she needs - as well Johnny. This trial has made me sad for our society.
@Gypsy Road
I understand your discomfort and appreciate your thoughts. People of every kind do things they shouldn’t, how they recklessly leave a relationship, marry the wrong person, take drugs, physically abuse and on and on. We wouldn’t have this forum if not for the mistakes people make.

We have been together through the entire trial, and literally there are so many things that happened we are sharing and remembering. It’s not meant to harm anyone. This was an unusual DV case in that we rarely see a male going through it. Johnny made a lot of mistakes but he took responsibility for all of it. She on the other hand did the opposite and its had a ripple effect.

Im a DV surviver, I stand behind women and men who are trying to get out alive.

I would also go with Friday evening. These poor jurors have been there for 6 weeks! They more than likely do not ever want to return back to the courtroom. From my perspective, if I was on the jury...my mind would be made up already. So, if that would be the case for this jury..a quick hands up vote would be completed rather quickly. On to award amounts. That won't take too long, if they all want out of there! Go Jury!
I think at least a couple of jurors might want to discuss the testimony for a while before making a hasty decision. Perhaps the foreman will set a specific time limit for discussion so those who would appreciate some group conversation are satisfied. Their verdict will have consequences, so it's probably best not to rush to judgment. There might even be a juror or two who want to "sleep on it" and return after the holiday break. Who knows? Juries often surprise us with their verdicts :)

What was that about the mesh shirt and he answered with a bewildered look he’d never worn a mesh shirt.

She claimed under oath that he had on a mesh shirt that night. Well when he showed up in court he said he doesn’t own/wouldn’t wear a mesh shirt. Today she claimed she has no idea who he is. May have even said she hadn’t heard his name before?

I think at least a couple of jurors might want to discuss the testimony for a while before making a hasty decision. Perhaps the foreman will set a specific time limit for discussion so those who would appreciate some group conversation are satisfied. Their verdict will have consequences, so it's probably best not to rush to judgment. There might even be a juror or two who want to "sleep on it" and return after the holiday break. Who knows? Juries often surprise us with their verdicts :)
I would think that the jurors would want discussion before serious deliberations. Each of them has been forbidden to talk about the 6 weeks of intense testimony, both with other jurors and in the outside world.
I expect there could be a lot of a pent up need to talk.

How long that would be is anyone's guess, and who knows whether jury members may in fact be pretty unaffected by their need for silence, or who just want to get on with it and go home.

I have no idea what to predict...
I can see this resolved tomorrow night, and I can see this going into next week.

I absolutely agree they will err on the side of being thorough. Everything I saw so far has said the jury has been taking their responsibility very seriously.

It has been great hanging out with you all. Not sure if I will be able to see much tomorrow but will get caught up here when time permits. Whatever the Jurors decide I respect. I'm just glad JD had an opportunity to tell his truth. There really were some comical moments.

I heard on hln last night the verdict has to be unanimous. This could also end as a hung jury.
aaaannndd....she will immediately file an appeal. When JD left today he said "I have a feeling I'll see you again" or something to that effect. He knows when the trial is over, it ain't over. We can only hope any AH appeal will get rejected. I think we've all had enough of this.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member