VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing that bothers me is that Katelyn has a second Facebook page that really only became active around November 30th. Her cover picture is of a newborn.

One more thing that bothers me is that Katelyn has a second Facebook page that really only became active around November 30th. Her cover picture is of a newborn.

Brand new Facebook, brand new life?

Or forgot a password?

Or maybe one family-friendly account and one for her social circle?

Was she actively using both at any point in time?

There hasn't been any news in quite a while about this case. In Heather's case, there was an announcement a couple of days ago that LE was making progress.

In Katelyn's case, nada, zero, zilch. The optimistic side of me wants to think that LE doesn't need any help at this point and have no reason to broadcast what they know or ask for any specific information. If so, no information is good.

Also, there are are no rewards being offered. A clear clue, perhaps.

I just hope and pray that one of the most positive scenarios is true.

I don't think she missed her flight and was waiting at gates for a next flight (otherwise, we'd have at least ONE surveillance photo to go by). I don't think she even made it to the Metro, again, she's not seen in any surveillance cameras. Heck, I'll add that I don't think she even made it to the mall, again, no direct confirmation she got there or got out of the car, no pictures of her walking around the mall, at a store register, spotted by someone as a girl carrying luggage around a mall, etc.

Her second FB profile has less friends and does not seem to be as active... but the baby is her younger sister's newborn son. I can't think why to have two FB pages!

Brand new Facebook, brand new life?

Or forgot a password?

Or maybe one family-friendly account and one for her social circle?

Was she actively using both at any point in time?

I hope this is OK to post. If not, mods. please delete.

Her mother posted in the FB group this morning thanking everyone and saying she hopes Katelin comes home soon. I haven't seen much from her mom other than the one news interview early on. I'm hoping this is a sign that they have received news to indicate that Katelin did in fact leave on her own. Maybe they met with LE? Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part

Has anyone been asking for donations? I haven't seen anything yet.

I just got caught up this morning. These days LE can use a faxed subpoena to get phone records almost immediately. A judge would sign it because the texts are so important to the case. LE would then fax the subpoena to the cell phone carrier and they would get the results quickly. The trail of Katelns calls would be looked at from probably 2 weeks prior to her disappearance to when she went missing and the cell phone number would be monitored for any activity since. I think it is safe to say that LE already has a pretty good idea of what may have happened here, either voluntarily disappearing or being a victim of foul play. I believe thy are working hard behind the scenes and continuing to investigate. It is not unusual for LE not to share what they are currently doing (as we all know).

As for Heather; her cell phone was in her car when she was found. LE knows where (if not who) the call was made for her to come help a friend who had car trouble. I do not want to sound insensitive, but LE would most likely be expending their resources to find a missing person who may be still alive (IMO). LE has stated that Heather's case WILL be solved.

You cannot count on the media or articles written to be facts. We know that from all of the contradictions in the various articles written. We cannot even count on LE statements being pure fact because they may be trying to reach a perpetrator via statements. So here we are trying to solve this with very little information.

None of it makes any sense. Surely if Katelin planned her disappearance or took off on the spur of the moment, she would know that LE would get to the bottom of it sooner or later. If she ever wanted to see her family again, she would have to resurface. I just cannot see a person with her whole life in front of her going into hiding. Sooner or later she would have to use her Social Security number and that would give her location away and she would be found. She would have to purchase a false identity and I doubt she would have the connections.

If Katelin met with foul play, sooner or later her body will be found. I do really wish with all my heart that Katelin just stepped off the grid to decide what to do with her life, but my gut feeling is that she is no longer with us.

*Sorry for this long post! I have just really thought about Katelin constantly and want there to be some resolution to her disappearance. I have 2 daughters and here it is just before Christmas. It is heartrending to think about.

MOO

And, Heather's home is just off the same road about halfway between where the luggage was found and where Heather was found in her car.

Heather's home is not on the same road. Heather lived near Battlefield Green ,off of Harrison road.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/River+Rd,+Fredericksburg,+VA/Piney+Branch/Soulier+Ln,+Fredericksburg,+VA+22407/@38.2730312,-77.6400165,13z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b6bfe4a4c8b3e3:0xbe23dd17ddc387f!2m2!1d-77.5659575!2d38.3277054!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b6b94befb00c17:0x61c660d770fdb5a2!2m2!1d-77.6355841!2d38.2442845!1m5!1m1!1s0x89b6c0924ebdee61:0x1a0b639884699f2a!2m2!1d-77.5424879!2d38.2685795!3e0

ETA

The maps shows the longest way possible to get to the locations .

I've got so much to do today and will be busy. I surely hope to see news when I get back!

I know that LE has said there is no connection, but it is very very coincidental. And I am not sure that LE can track certain ways that teens communicate these days. My daughter and her friends text on snapchat which is not traceable, as far as i know.

I do wonder if she might have been online friends with someone, who said they would pick her up at the mall, and then they lured her, or forced her, to go with them somewhere. And maybe if they were involved in the Heather tragedy, then KA would know far too much.

Snapchat is traceable by LE. Anyone can see to whom messages have been sent, and the user agreement of the app specifies that Snapchat keeps records, including the images. In the Anna Hernandez case LE have even released a snap video of one of the girls involved holding a gun. Most people think Snapchat is untraceable so they use it for various less-legal things but that's an incorrect assumption.

ETA: Just my two cents but guys, I really really think the Heather case is a coincidence. I wish we'd stop going on about it, the family needs closure and I don't think she's got anything to do with Katelin.

I think if there's a connection between the two cases, we won't know until they want us to know, maybe because they don't want someone else to know they know.

I also think that any theory involving a voluntary disappearance are unlikely due to the luggage being ditched (as well as where it was ditched). A voluntary disappearance, going off the grid, would want to draw less attention, rather than more, and the easiest way to accomplish that is to the ditch the luggage in a dumpster, where it is far less likely to be found/noticed. At this point I don't buy any convoluted theory about intentional disappearance, especially with the added complication of setting someone up. That luggage points to a hurried disposal, probably one that the person responsible probably regrets at this point. Or a deliberate disposal in order to divert searchers from an actual crime scene / dump site.

Haven't heard enough about SD to support a SD theory 100%, but my instincts are talking loudly here. Can't imagine coming all the way back from at least an hour north (i-95 traffic SUCKS) to dump the luggage so close to home. I don't think she ever made it up north. I just can't imagine what could go wrong that could cause a backtrack like that. Stranger abduction makes even less sense. I think she'll be found within a radius of 5 miles from fburg center.

Fascinating case. Wish I was a fly on the wall at local LE. Would love to know what they're not telling us. And I'm local.

Anyone know if the luggage was going to be checked for fingerprints?

Anyone know if the luggage was going to be checked for fingerprints?

Good question. Would it be standard for them to take fingerprints in a missing person case? We don't know if LE suspect foul play. They might be just treating it as a runaway.

Good question. Would it be standard for them to take fingerprints in a missing person case? We don't know if LE suspect foul play. They might be just treating it as a runaway.

If I found discarded luggage in a missing persons case, damn right I'd be checking that stuff for evidence.

Would depend on who and how it was found and marked. If it was not treated as evidence (which I think it should have) then it would most likely be contamininated. Even with the circumstances we know it could have many prints to analyze, Kaitlin's, SD maybe Mom. Unknowns would be hard to narrow down that's for sure but something might be a useful clue. Just wondering...

I think if there's a connection between the two cases, we won't know until they want us to know, maybe because they don't want someone else to know they know.

I also think that any theory involving a voluntary disappearance are unlikely due to the luggage being ditched (as well as where it was ditched). A voluntary disappearance, going off the grid, would want to draw less attention, rather than more, and the easiest way to accomplish that is to the ditch the luggage in a dumpster, where it is far less likely to be found/noticed. At this point I don't buy any convoluted theory about intentional disappearance, especially with the added complication of setting someone up. That luggage points to a hurried disposal, probably one that the person responsible probably regrets at this point. Or a deliberate disposal in order to divert searchers from an actual crime scene / dump site.

Haven't heard enough about SD to support a SD theory 100%, but my instincts are talking loudly here. Can't imagine coming all the way back from at least an hour north (i-95 traffic SUCKS) to dump the luggage so close to home. I don't think she ever made it up north. I just can't imagine what could go wrong that could cause a backtrack like that. Stranger abduction makes even less sense. I think she'll be found within a radius of 5 miles from fburg center.

Fascinating case. Wish I was a fly on the wall at local LE. Would love to know what they're not telling us. And I'm local.

Good to see you here helpfulcharlie, because you're a local and because of your expertise.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of your take on this baffling case.

:sleuth:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said "just off the same road." I mapped out the neighborhood based on a news article that stated the name of the home, a few houses down from Heather's, that was one of a few that LE searched. It was almost a straight line from the luggage, passed Heather's neighborhood, to where she was found dead in the car. Below is the news article and a map of the three locations.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/103...b59d69a9d3!2m2!1d-77.5621107!2d38.3248226!3e0

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_51709b74-a060-11e5-a7b3-0b6eeb99b413.html
"Court records filed in Spotsylvania Circuit Court show that homes on Cleveland Court in the Timbers subdivision and Soulier Lane—a few doors down from Ciccone’s home—in Battlefield Green have been searched.

But prosecutor Matt Lowery requested and got a judge’s permission to seal all records associated with the various searches.

Lowery wrote that the names of people who have provided information in the “intentionally perpetrated, execution-style homicide” are in the affidavits and those people would be subject to danger if their names are made public."

If it is a cloth backpack or duffle bag type carry on then chances are slim that fingerprints would be found.

So since we are talking theories, here is mine:

Katelin spends a short few days visiting family. Some little arguments ensue about her lifestyle choices and her "new life far away" in Arizona. Assume there is a bit of envy towards her being able to escape the life she didn't want in Virginia and those who didn't accept her. Her happiness almost drives them mad. She is dropped off at SD sometime early Saturday. Now, something tells me even though he is technically the ex-SD, he is still very much part of the "family"...hence, he wouldn't be taking her to the airport. When she arrives at SD, his own frustrations with lifestyle/envy/engagement to another female/etc come out and a fight escalates into something deadly. I almost envision SD taking what he feels is "justice" into his own hands, if you will. SD spends next few hours covering things up, faking a trip to Springfield Mall, sending the text messages to buy him some time, turning phone off, and ditching her luggage upon return.

SeaSpur ... I have had similar thoughts about the stepfather and that he is somehow involved. It could have happened much like your idea, but I think her sexuality doesn't have anything to do with this. In my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LowStuff5019