VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if there's a connection between the two cases, we won't know until they want us to know, maybe because they don't want someone else to know they know.

I also think that any theory involving a voluntary disappearance are unlikely due to the luggage being ditched (as well as where it was ditched). A voluntary disappearance, going off the grid, would want to draw less attention, rather than more, and the easiest way to accomplish that is to the ditch the luggage in a dumpster, where it is far less likely to be found/noticed. At this point I don't buy any convoluted theory about intentional disappearance, especially with the added complication of setting someone up. That luggage points to a hurried disposal, probably one that the person responsible probably regrets at this point. Or a deliberate disposal in order to divert searchers from an actual crime scene / dump site.

Haven't heard enough about SD to support a SD theory 100%, but my instincts are talking loudly here. Can't imagine coming all the way back from at least an hour north (i-95 traffic SUCKS) to dump the luggage so close to home. I don't think she ever made it up north. I just can't imagine what could go wrong that could cause a backtrack like that. Stranger abduction makes even less sense. I think she'll be found within a radius of 5 miles from fburg center.

Fascinating case. Wish I was a fly on the wall at local LE. Would love to know what they're not telling us. And I'm local.

THIS. I was typing something similar, but you said it better.

I hope that she left on her own, but I do not think that happened. Mom or someone obviously dropped her off at SD's bc he would have said so if she di not arrive. That seems to be the last thing we know for sure.

I dont' think she made it out of SD's house or not far from there.

SD's car or phone or both were at the mall, but no sight of KA? Is that correct? I read the whole thread, but may have missed something trying to skim and keep up.

I also agree that that text to Amber would have sent up alarms for almost any fiancee. I really hate texts at times like these. A voice message like the old days would be so different.

Also, if she were to leave by choice why is it thought that she would dump her luggage and few possessions? As mentioned above, I agree that dumped stuff out in the open calls more attention to her which is not what someone wants who wants to be off grid , imo. Additionally, I'd think she'd need whatever few things she could carry to start a new life. And isn't the dump site sort of far from the mall? And who doesn't keep untraceable cash?

I'm very concerned. I hope she didnt' harm herself, but I'm not really leaning toward that either.

Any time I think there are too many weird issues to make a case a voluntarily missing person, I am reminded of Hannah Thomas-Garner. There were all kinds of "clues" that lead us in a million different directions. Eventually she called her Dad and was reunited, a happy ending. She even explained some of the things we thought surely pointed to something horrible happening to her that were just "teen age logic" and had nothing to do with planting a clue or thinking it would look like a crime. All that to say, we really just never know...still hoping for the best for Katelin!

SeaSpur ... I have had similar thoughts about the stepfather and that he is somehow involved. It could have happened much like your idea, but I think her sexuality doesn't have anything to do with this. In my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it WAS her sexuality or some type of hate crime...I just think it was something her SD and family probably weren't very accepting of. I suspect living in AZ allowed Katelin to be free of the scrutiny from her family and was able to be happy with who she was and accepted. JMO

So since we are talking theories, here is mine:

Katelin spends a short few days visiting family. Some little arguments ensue about her lifestyle choices and her "new life far away" in Arizona. Assume there is a bit of envy towards her being able to escape the life she didn't want in Virginia and those who didn't accept her. Her happiness almost drives them mad. She is dropped off at SD sometime early Saturday. Now, something tells me even though he is technically the ex-SD, he is still very much part of the "family"...hence, he wouldn't be taking her to the airport. When she arrives at SD, his own frustrations with lifestyle/envy/engagement to another female/etc come out and a fight escalates into something deadly. I almost envision SD taking what he feels is "justice" into his own hands, if you will. SD spends next few hours covering things up, faking a trip to Springfield Mall, sending the text messages to buy him some time, turning phone off, and ditching her luggage upon return.

I often wonder if she ever even left SD house....I also wonder if his house was searched. Jmo. Just speculating.

I should add to my theory on something that fits...I think the whole "she was dropped at mall" was quick thinking by SD because he knew that a Metro station would be covered with cameras. Not to say the mall wouldn't be, but chances are less...plus, I don't think we ever got confirmation that he was ever at mall- just "in the area."

SeaSpur ... I think you and I are on the same page basically. I think stepfather blew a fuse for whatever reason, harmed Kaitlin, cleaned up, etc., went to the mall area, made a call or two for ping purposes, headed home, tossed out luggage and waited for the police. Or variations of this. As always, just my opinion.

I still have some unanswered questions that I kick around. One of those is if somebody did something to Katelin, why send a text from her phone? If it was someone who knew her well enough they knew she was getting on a plane and it might be 5-6 hours before she lands at her destination. That's 5-6 hours to work with. Sure, family members might be concerned, but not enough to alert police until she didn't arrive. If you send a text to someone from her phone pretending to be her you might say the wrong thing. Why not just turn the phone off and try to remove the battery or break the phone by stomping on it or running over it with your car if you can't get the battery out.

So since we are talking theories, here is mine:

Katelin spends a short few days visiting family. Some little arguments ensue about her lifestyle choices and her "new life far away" in Arizona. Assume there is a bit of envy towards her being able to escape the life she didn't want in Virginia and those who didn't accept her. Her happiness almost drives them mad. She is dropped off at SD sometime early Saturday. Now, something tells me even though he is technically the ex-SD, he is still very much part of the "family"...hence, he wouldn't be taking her to the airport. When she arrives at SD, his own frustrations with lifestyle/envy/engagement to another female/etc come out and a fight escalates into something deadly. I almost envision SD taking what he feels is "justice" into his own hands, if you will. SD spends next few hours covering things up, faking a trip to Springfield Mall, sending the text messages to buy him some time, turning phone off, and ditching her luggage upon return.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling this is close to the truth.

Has nick<3 re-joined us? If not, nic, please come back (verified)! We really need you...

My heart really hurts over this case.

The image of Katelin upthread with the EKG lead has me scratching my head :dunno:

I'm hoping my fellow HCPs will look at it again and chime in.

Are there any holter monitor, 12-lead, 3-lead, or PSG lead placements that you can think of that require electrode placement there?

I've worked as a sleep tech, cardiac monitor tech, assisted CV techs, conducted exercise stress tests, and I can't recall ever placing one there.

ETA2: it appears mid-sternal. V1-6 avoids this area. :confused:

Thoughts?

ETA:
OP tiffay01
a7bac79a4d6bfe5c46eaaf83a32e1ff2.jpg

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12249322

:thinking:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: the cardiac leads... I have a friend who is doing a week long study for her doctor right now. She has a lead there, along with a few more.

I've also done this study a few times, but don't remember where the leads were placed.

It's possible that she doesn't have a condition, but that during this photo, she was doing a study for her doctor, to find out if she had a condition based on symptoms.

My mom practices cardiology. If there are more specific questions, I'm happy to ask her.

Well we would have to figure that once mom didn't hear back from her that night to say I'm in Vegas ; Than mom probably started making some calls. Jmo.

It looks like Amber is on there answering questions

Can someone assist Mountain Misst with a time and date of when Kaitlin went missing please?

Has your question been answered MM?

Well we would have to figure that once mom didn't hear back from her that night to say I'm in Vegas ; Than mom probably started making some calls. Jmo.

What I'm thinking is:

Text to mom that she has made it...holds mom off for quite a few hours.

Text to fiance that plans changed and she'd let her know details later...holds fiance off as well.

Buys time for whoever needed it. However, that person maybe didn't expect fiance to contact mom about the texts?

Can someone assist Mountain Misst with a time and date of when Kaitlin went missing please?

Has your question been answered MM?

If we are talking confirmed sightings before going missing. I think it would be safe to say it was on the 5th of December when mom dropped Katelin off to stepdad.

So he is the last confirmed one to see her that afternoon.

Jmo

I have the flight departure time due 5:40pm. Text sent to girlfriend 2pm in AZ so that's 4pm VA. I have no link apart from FB so please consider this to be IMO. Am looking for an official time please.

What I'm thinking is:

Text to mom that she has made it...holds mom off for quite a few hours.

Text to fiance that plans changed and she'd let her know details later...holds fiance off as well.

Buys time for whoever needed it. However, that person maybe didn't expect fiance to contact mom about the texts?

Agree. Katelin would know that amber would probably call mom if Katelin wasnt picking up after dropping that bombshell of things changing 1 hr before take off and not picking up the phone to discuss things further.

Now a smart sluether up thread suggested that maybe the person who text amber thought she was simply a friend/roommate going to the airport to pick up a friend.

But since the supposed person didn't know amber was actually the fiance never thought that amber would sound the alarm of what the heck is going on.

Btw. Do doctors recommend flying with a heart condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214