VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From this link: www.wtvr.com/2015/12/07/luggage-found-on-spotsylvania-road-could-be-key-clue-in-19-year-olds-disappearance/

""She texted and said she made it there, but we don't know if that's true," Lisa Sullivan said."

That's just one article, but I believe there are other articles mentioning the text to her mother. I'll update this post once I find them.

ETA: I've gotta go back to Thread 1 for the link. But in this thread, there's some discussion of the two texts around 12/23, if you're interested.

Of course. Post the links. This one was updated and mentions a text to family. The key is finding out where the phone was when the text was sent.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/30699551/missing-spotsylvania-womans-fianc-i-dont-know-what-to-think

Deputies have subpoenaed records from Aken's cell provider to determine where the text was sent from saying she made it to the airport.

She never boarded her flight, despite a text message sent to her family saying she made it to the airport.

I supposed that the text sent to her mother was a red herring.
Whether Katelin sent the text herself, or someone else texted from her phone, it could be that she never left the area but wanted people to assume she did.

Whether Katelin sent the text herself, or someone else texted from her phone, it could be that she never left the area but wanted people to assume she did.

There are quotes from Police that support that. That she is still alive.

I wonder if family dropping her off means more than one person? Check this out. Cellphone be pingin'.

"We're hoping – and this has happened before – that she simply decided that she wasn't going to go back [to Arizona] and made other arrangements," Pearce says. "Information recovered from her social media accounts and her cellphone records shows that [that may be case]."

He adds: "But until we can locate her, this is a missing persons case. We're not giving up."

http://www.people.com/article/spotsylvania-county-katelin-michelle-akens-missing-heather-ciccone-dead

This said she had run away before.

Yes. When LE has talked about Springfield they've qualified their reporting. Saying they've verified his car was there, but nothing about whether Katelin or even the stepfather was actually there in the car. I can't imagine that if Katelin was really in the mall they wouldn't have seen her on at least ONE surveillance camera in a store in the mall. Sure there are probably a lot of videos to go through. But if they know when the SD's car was in the area and when Katelin's flight left they have narrowed down the time frame. And how many ladies would be walking through the mall carrying or, if it had a handle with rollers, pulling it behind them? You would think that would make her stand out. This, of course, this assumes she actually went into the mall. (The SD didn't stay to see her actually walk in?) Or she didn't take her luggage in with her but left it at home or in the car. (She disappeared voluntarily and SD helped?) LE has said nothing more about looking at videos in the mall and they probably know much more than they are telling us.

But hasn't LE confirmed that Katelin made it to NOVA?

Contrary to some reports, Sheriff’s Capt. Jeff Pearce said Thursday that police have yet to find any surveillance footage of the 19-year-old at the mall or anywhere else. But he said police have corroborated the stepfather’s story that he dropped her off in Northern Virginia.

Pearce would not give details about how the story was corroborated, saying those are part of the ongoing investigation.
www.fredericksburg.com/news/crime_c...3ea-9eb0-50f9-ba37-c865c133dbf8.html?mode=jqm

With that being the case, why submit Spotsylvania as the last known location? Reading between the lines, could LE believe she made it to NOVA and then returned to Spotsylvania? There's obviously other explanations, with two being shoddy reporting by either LE or media. The "facts" in this case are so frustrating.

Really hoping this is the case.

I wonder if Kaitlin was reported missing before or after her luggage was found two days later? All the women connected to her and it goes unreported for 2 days?

Aken was supposed to fly out days ago, on Saturday, Dec. 5

But on Monday, her luggage was found in a ditch on River Road, in Spotsylvania, near the Fredericksburg city limit.

http://wtvr.com/2015/12/07/katelin-akens-missing/

But hasn't LE confirmed that Katelin made it to NOVA?

www.fredericksburg.com/news/crime_c...3ea-9eb0-50f9-ba37-c865c133dbf8.html?mode=jqm

With that being the case, why submit Spotsylvania as the last known location? Reading between the lines, could LE believe she made it to NOVA and then returned to Spotsylvania? There's obviously other explanations, with two being shoddy reporting by either LE or media. The "facts" in this case are so frustrating.
Or someone providing his/her own version of the facts based on assumptions.

This said she had run away before.

No that does not mean that she ran away before!
The investigator was saying that things like this have happened before in other cases. That sometimes people just decide to disappear. Besides that People article is full of mistakes.

Or someone providing his/her own version of the facts based on assumptions.

Also very possible. Do we know for sure whether the NAMUS listing, and it's original info, was submitted by LE?

The meaning of "and this has happened before" in that sentence is ambiguous and has not been clarified. It could be referring to any number of things.

Given it is a quote from an officer (as opposed to a family member/friend), I took it to mean that this type of thing has happened in similar cases before, but not necessarily to Katelin herself. It's very easy to apply various contexts to that quote.

From this link: www.wtvr.com/2015/12/07/luggage-found-on-spotsylvania-road-could-be-key-clue-in-19-year-olds-disappearance/

""She texted and said she made it there, but we don't know if that's true," Lisa Sullivan said."

That's just one article, but I believe there are other articles mentioning the text to her mother. I'll update this post once I find them.

ETA: I've gotta go back to Thread 1 for the link. But in this thread, there's some discussion of the two texts around 12/23, if you're interested.

ETA2: I forgot how to link to a specific post, but I think I figured it out. I apologize in advance if this doesn't work. There's discussion starting around here about both texts and some theories on why/by whom/etc. they were sent: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12256264
Also, I can't find any news articles giving more clear info on that text, so I'm giving up on posting additional links.

I don't see a link for anything about a text to Amber, but if there was one then Akens told her and her mother the exact opposite thing. That could lead someone to think she left on her own. But then there's the dumped luggage. It's a mess.

I don't see a link for anything about a text to Amber, but if there was one then Akens told her and her mother the exact opposite thing. That could lead someone to think she left on her own. But then there's the dumped luggage. It's a mess.

I was thinking that we only knew that from Amber/Nicole reporting it. I don't recall LE/media reporting it. But yes, what a mess!

Here's an interesting update.

Gabrielle stood with her relatives and friends, handing out thousands of fliers to shoppers, hoping someone may know where her sister is currently.

"No one really knows what's going on. Everyone is changing the story, it's just everywhere," expressed Gabrielle.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/30732846...reets-searching-for-19-year-old#ixzz3wnLzGSVz

I think her sister was just saying the same thing we have been saying, the case is a mess, the "facts" are all over the place, something is fishy about the story, etc. The words "everyone is changing the story" should not be taken too literally. She could also be referring to the comments on social media where people are taking the little bits of information that has been released and twisting it to mean different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ribut1932