VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I can see POSSIBLY why she may have wanted to get to the airport early. I personally don't believe she ran away, but it wouldn't shock me to find out that was the case.

I'm the kind of person that will freak out if I think I'm going to miss something important (and expensive) like a flight. I would be at the airport an hour ahead of the hour and a half recommendation. I especially could see her getting there early if 1) that was the only time she could get a ride there, and 2) she was really wanting to get home because she missed her fiance or was just over being in VA for whatever reason. I'm always hungry too, so I would probably get to the airport to eat Chinese food, which I'm sure is really weird but honestly I would probably go early just to eat there and wait and look up the news or facebook on my phone (or websleuths).

Also, is it possible LE saw someone else in step-dad's car when it was sighted to corroborate his story that he was in the area of the mall? They specifically say they saw his car there, but no mention of a driver. Either it was parked and no one inside or there was someone ELSE or multiples someones in it. It could also have been an obstruction blocking the camera view or scene from really far away, but I don't see how they could totally positively identify the vehicle and not make out anything about the occupants.

I noticed something absurd about the text to her family. Can you spot it?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/help-find-katelin-akens/timeline-and-known-facts/1681273652129214

The wording is not typical of a teen, young adult. Why would she need to reassure her mom that she arrived "SAFELY"? Maybe that is the wording of the mom but I know when my 21 year old travels back to college I usually just get a text saying "I'm home" or something simple. So the "I made it to the airport SAFELY" was/is a big red flag for me.
And the times, I mean how long does it take to get from wherever they were to the mall/train station or the airport?

The thoughts & opinions stated above are that, MY random thoughts & opinions.

The wording is not typical of a teen, young adult. Why would she need to reassure her mom that she arrived "SAFELY"? Maybe that is the wording of the mom but I know when my 21 year old travels back to college I usually just get a text saying "I'm home" or something simple. So the "I made it to the airport SAFELY" was/is a big red flag for me.
And the times, I mean how long does it take to get from wherever they were to the mall/train station or the airport?

I remember reading a 1/2 mile and about a ten minute walk.

From stepdad's house it's only 1/2 a mile?

The mall to the metro station. I'm assuming that a walk is required to the metro. She would then take something like a rail-car to the airport.

That's a good observation. I wonder if that was mom's words. I have a almost 19 YO son (next week) and no way would he use the word "safely" when telling me he got anywhere. He would most likely say the same thing as your kid. "I'm home." or "I'm there" I would imagine Katelin would have said "I made it to the airport." or "At the airport."

This a map I made for Thread #1 that may help you:

attachment.php

I asked, then received.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Akens-19-Springfield-5-December-2015-2/page22

The mall to the metro station. I'm assuming that a walk is required to the metro. She would then take something like a rail-car to the airport.

Oh I was wondering about the distance from stepdad's house to the metro station. Can someone actually drive their own vehicle directly to the airport, or do you have to park & ride to the airport?
With statements like "Katelin's never traveled the metro alone before" why would the stepdad not either go with her or take her directly to the airport? I know she's considered an adult but she's still pretty young to me, as I have a kid older than her, but I'd wanna make dang sure my kid was getting to where they needed to go before I just dropped them off, turned around & started heading home.
Even if she wanted to stop by, or near, the mall, depending on the actual time she was dropped off, I'm sure he could've waited for her to do whatever in or around the mall then take her to the metro or airport.
Maybe moms are different than dads in this sense.

Honestly, I can see POSSIBLY why she may have wanted to get to the airport early. I personally don't believe she ran away, but it wouldn't shock me to find out that was the case.

I'm the kind of person that will freak out if I think I'm going to miss something important (and expensive) like a flight. I would be at the airport an hour ahead of the hour and a half recommendation. I especially could see her getting there early if 1) that was the only time she could get a ride there, and 2) she was really wanting to get home because she missed her fiance or was just over being in VA for whatever reason. I'm always hungry too, so I would probably get to the airport to eat Chinese food, which I'm sure is really weird but honestly I would probably go early just to eat there and wait and look up the news or facebook on my phone (or websleuths).

Also, is it possible LE saw someone else in step-dad's car when it was sighted to corroborate his story that he was in the area of the mall? They specifically say they saw his car there, but no mention of a driver. Either it was parked and no one inside or there was someone ELSE or multiples someones in it. It could also have been an obstruction blocking the camera view or scene from really far away, but I don't see how they could totally positively identify the vehicle and not make out anything about the occupants.

RBBM

I can see someone wanting to get to the airport early if they are unfamiliar with traveling, but in this case, what is odd to me about the situation is that it was said that while ON THE WAY to the airport she decided that she wanted the SD to drop her at the mall and that she would take the metro to the airport. So that means that she was leaving for the airport very early, which we could attribute to an unseasoned traveler being cautious and wanting to get there way ahead of time, but then why would that unseasoned traveler then changed her mind spur of the moment and decide to get dropped off at a mall? Was she planning to shop at the mall? If so, that would have cut into the time she was allowing as a cushion. THEN she was also going to have to walk to the metro station and get transported to the airport, check in, find her gate, etc etc etc...

Doesn't seem like something a person who was nervous or unsure about traveling would do. If her family knows she is not familiar with traveling on her own, then it also doesn't make sense for them to just drop her off to let her find her way. Personally I wouldn't have an issue with it, but people in my family are super independent and travel often. The thing is, that this is not the way Katelin has been portrayed to us.

It's all very weird to me. I don't think we are getting the whole (or accurate) story.

moo

I never thought is was odd that her mother dropped her off to the step dad. Just because the parents divorced, it doesn't mean her relationship to the step dad ended. This girl has lived on her own for over a year, if I remember right. She has a level of independence already established. If she wanted to go to the mall and take a subway to the airport, I wouldn't think that was suspicious. She survived across the country without her parents holding her hand.

As to whether I think the step dad was involved, I have changed my mind a few times.

I hope she is found soon.

I never thought is was odd that her mother dropped her off to the step dad. Just because the parents divorced, it doesn't mean her relationship to the step dad ended. This girl has lived on her own for over a year, if I remember right. She has a level of independence already established. If she wanted to go to the mall and take a subway to the airport, I wouldn't think that was suspicious. She survived across the country without her parents holding her hand.

As to whether I think the step dad was involved, I have changed my mind a few times.

I hope she is found soon.

I agree with what you have said here. I don't think it was odd that her step dad was the one to take her to the airport either. IIRC he was in her life since she was around 10, so I would expect he would still be active in her life. Also it has been stated by family that he and her mom were still on friendly terms.

I also agree that since she had chosen to live far from family, she was exhibiting some sort of independence. But it has been stated by family and Amber that she had never taken the metro and did not have experience traveling alone. She was relying on Amber for financial support, her mom paid for her plane ticket to VA, she didn't have a driver's license and relied on Amber for transportation (other than using her bicycle in Lake Havasu.) All those things combined make me think that either Katelin wasn't as independent as she might have appeared from the outside, or others didn't think she was or wanted to be.

jmo

Dang. I never thought about that safely word. Omg. If the word safely is in that text; Then Katelin probably didn't send that text. I agree. She just would have said that I'm at the airport. But not safely. Good catch.

Dang. I never thought about that safely word. Omg. If the word safely is in that text; Then Katelin probably didn't send that text. I agree. She just would have said that I'm at the airport. But not safely. Good catch.

but is that supposed to be the exact text? or just how the mother described its content?

but is that supposed to be the exact text? or just how the mother described its content?

This is why I said If the word safely was mentioned. If.

But I don't know if it was or was not included. I simply responded to another poster that mentioned their thoughts.

But hopefully the Katelin Facebook page could clarify the exact wording of the text to mom.

So if the word safely wasn't used then ok. But if Katelin text her mom that she arrived safely. Then it means that somethings off. Jmo.

Because most youngster don't use the word safely before the flight. Jmo. She probably would have said. Mom I'm at the airport and I'll talk to you later. Jmo

The context makes me think it wasn't directly quoted, because the other text to Amber is in quotation marks while mom's just says the time was confirmed - perhaps not the verbatim content. I always text my mother that I arrive safely/safe and sound, for what it's worth, because she's nervous about travel (including car trips).

Bottom line. A young woman is missing. And everything is hush hush.

So imo. Some people know what's going on. Jmo.

Ok. 1 more thing. Did Katelin text this same message when she was traveling to VA. Just asking. Did she text mom or Amber that im here safely. Just asking.

Idk if she said the word "safely" she could of been being a smart ash. When I used to talk my parents I'd use the word all the dang time because they just couldn't crawl outta my butt.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Regarding the use of the word "safely," I think we need some insight from those who knew her before assuming much from that. I regularly say "safely in [destination]" or "home safe" and I'm fairly certain that I said the same when I was Katelin's age. If Nic is still reading, maybe she can shed some light?

That's a good observation. I wonder if that was mom's words. I have a almost 19 YO son (next week) and no way would he use the word "safely" when telling me he got anywhere. He would most likely say the same thing as your kid. "I'm home." or "I'm there" I would imagine Katelin would have said "I made it to the airport." or "At the airport."

If I even got the text, LOL. Sometimes I have to call and ask and then say 'you were gonna text me' haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills