VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'm not swayed by LE comments about "this has happened before" in other cases. As far we know, Katelin has no means of support. Unless she decided to live on the streets, (which I don't believe) I find it very difficult to believe she has run away from her life. JMO of course.

Idk

When Hannah Garner ran away from oregon. She scraped together $5 before leaving the party to ride with friends to Humboldt ca and wrecked her car on purpose and than some how made it to Santa Cruz. She was found safe a month later after the finding of her purposely wrecked car which she left near Humboldt.

Sometimes people run away and commit suicide too. I did not want to suggest this, but it is one angle we have not touched on.

True, but suicidal people are usually found rather quickly, or leave a note or a vehicle or something. Not always, but usually they want to leave a message or an indication/explanation. I know there are exceptions to the rule. But when young people kill themselves they usually want their families/friends/loved ones to understand why. Sometimes they express it angrily, other times it is an apology and explanation.

I don't feel that KA went off to kill herself. Unless she has a history of attempts/threats that we are not aware of. JMO

I don't know if we have touched on the possibility of a history of mental illness or not.

You know, late teens, early twenties is when a lot of mental illnesses first come to the forefront. The onset of an episode could explain everything and then work into the theory that Katelin ran away. It becomes very plausible as people in the throws of mental illness do a lot of things that seem odd.

Just a thought.

I don't know if we have touched on the possibility of a history of mental illness or not.

You know, late teens, early twenties is when a lot of mental illnesses first come to the forefront. The onset of an episode could explain everything and then work into the theory that Katelin ran away. It becomes very plausible as people in the throws of mental illness do a lot of things that seem odd.

Just a thought.

Absolutely, that's what I was trying to point out. The Audrey Seiler case; I thought was a good example.

Sometimes people run away and commit suicide too. I did not want to suggest this, but it is one angle we have not touched on.

I've thought of that a bit, but I just don't see how. So she's dropped off, makes it to the airport (or not), and somehow finds her way almost all the way back home WITH her luggage, dumps it near Motts Run, and THEN goes off to commit suicide? Someone would have had to drive her there. Despite the lack of media coverage, there was enough to get -my- attention prior to tuning in here, where I always go when I'm more interested in the case than the media is able to satisfy. That person would have come forward by now. I think if it was a suicide, she would have been found in Fairfax County. There are plenty of woods and trails just minutes from Springfield Mall/Metro. The luggage would have been found up there somewhere, and she would be found not far from it.

[snipped]

I think the biggest factor that is keeping me from the voluntary angle is the stepfather's story. He dropped her off at the mall, then what? I can't see the blind spot from the cameras being a large area, and we know she didn't go into the mall, so where then? The father must have seen where she went, she'd have had to hop in another car immediately to avoid being on camera, or did he boot her out of the car, dump her carry on out and speed off? It makes NO sense to me. I hope I am wrong! If I remember correctly, in the HTG case, police had to do a town meeting sort of thing to share the facts because the public was getting outraged that not much was being done, the police held firm that she was a runner. I hope to God that happens in this case!!! I would LOVE to hear about her PM's planning this.

Exactly! I can't figure out this angle at all!! That,, and no surveillance photos of her at the Metro or the airport.
Thanks for a great post!

Do any of you have any stats or a general idea of this... how many people who are considered missing actually turn up later as having walked away on purpose? My guess is the walking away by choice is far less. It happens. We all know that. I just dont' think that is the norm. Also, what I find weird, among many things, is the lack of any image of KA where she was supposedly supposed to be. It is just odd. Even the woman who was mentioned upthread who faked her abduction was seen and found in a marsh by her apt/ dorm (IIRC) even she was on a camera if I'm not mistaken. This is modern mall is it not? It's not some rural out in the boonies strip mall with no cameras or security surveillance. It's just too weird.

I don't think she was at the mall at all.

True, but suicidal people are usually found rather quickly, or leave a note or a vehicle or something. Not always, but usually they want to leave a message or an indication/explanation. I know there are exceptions to the rule. But when young people kill themselves they usually want their families/friends/loved ones to understand why. Sometimes they express it angrily, other times it is an apology and explanation.

I don't feel that KA went off to kill herself. Unless she has a history of attempts/threats that we are not aware of. JMO

IMO 30% isn't enough to say they usually leave a note. Most don't. But you're right - lots of people who disappear before committing suicide are found by this time, although there are plenty of cars found on roadsides I assume were left behind, their drivers never found because they'd wandered off and killed themselves.

Which makes me think - if she didn't have a car where could she go where they wouldn't have found her body by now? How far could she have gotten on foot? Could she have carried her suitcase that distance before dumping it and disappearing? The nearest wilderness (depending on how one defines wilderness) area is 100 miles away.

Just listing here...

Are there complete quotes of her texts somewhere? The tapering on/off of the statements seems fishy, but it could just be how they have been quoted by other posters. There is a statement analysis principle about missing words indicating deception. Although, whether Katelin sent the texts or not, clearly deception was involved.

The items left behind are troublesome to me. Why would someone of very limited resources leave anything behind? Couldn't a few left behind items send the desired message without depleting needed supplies like clothes and money? If she was looking for a "from scratch" fresh start, there are very few ways to start over that don't involve a sugardaddy/sugarmama or illegal activities. (Not to impugn this poor missing girl!)

The "evidence" that she is gone is simply the fact that she did not show up in the expected location. Why leave luggage proof in plain sight when she has sent the text saying something came up. Also, why bother to send the texts if you are going to do a "forget this!" gesture like flinging a suitcase away. If you are going to be considerate enough to text, why would you then go radio silence? Wouldn't someone thoughtful enough to send a message then follow up with more reassuring messages to family and fiancee?

I sure would like to see a transcript of the texts before and during this period of time. I'd like to see if the language is consistent. I am a person who can't bear to use text speak, and it'd be glaringly obvious that partial sentences and poor grammar are not my text "voice".

I feel like the mall, the text to mom and fiancee, then throwing out the suitcase is like a short, bad to-do list of someone in a panic, to say the least.

I agree with others that the fact that there is no video at the mall or otherwise is odd, particularly coupled with the texts as the last communication. I think it is hard to go anywhere in this day and age without popping up on some screen or other.

Lastly, while I am listing...

It seems like a really cumbersome and inefficient plan to get a ride to go to SD's house, then, the mall, then head for the airport if you are just going to fly the coop. Why not cut out a few of the steps? How about, I'll get a ride to the airport from a friend who also happens to be my transportation out of here. I guess, a rendezvous at the mall could be possible, but then how would that be arranged? "Meet me at the one part of the mall without video surveillance and then we'll hurl my suitcase out the window, later." Transportation and an accomplice have to be involved if she is getting out of Dodge- otherwise there would be a trace of her departure on public transportation.

I sincerely hope Katelin is OK! Please let your family know if you are out there, Katelin. Your family deserves to know you are safe. My heart is broken for your loved ones waiting in this agony.

I just went to NamUs to look at how they described her appearance and see what info was out there, but she isn't listed. Isn't that kindof odd? It's been almost three weeks since she's gone missing. It usually doesn't take that long to get entered in there. What's the deal with that??

https://www.findthemissing.org/en

I just went to NamUs to look at how they described her appearance and see what info was out there, but she isn't listed. Isn't that kindof odd? It's been almost three weeks since she's gone missing. It usually doesn't take that long to get entered in there. What's the deal with that??

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have ask this several times. Who makes the determination who gets listed in NamUs and who doesn't? Is it the family or the police detective on the case?

Edit: never mind looked it up, anyone can it just has to be verified before it is listed!

It seems like a really cumbersome and inefficient plan to get a ride to go to SD's house, then, the mall, then head for the airport if you are just going to fly the coop. Why not cut out a few of the steps? How about, I'll get a ride to the airport from a friend who also happens to be my transportation out of here. I guess, a rendezvous at the mall could be possible, but then how would that be arranged? "Meet me at the one part of the mall without video surveillance and then we'll hurl my suitcase out the window, later." Transportation and an accomplice have to be involved if she is getting out of Dodge- otherwise there would be a trace of her departure on public transportation.

rsbm

Heck no! No way would I do that if I were planning to disappear myself! Because then my friend/accomplice would be the last person known to be with me! I'd make sure the last person who was with me was someone who could be blamed for making me disappear. Someone that I didn't care if they got blamed -- but NOT the person who actually helped me.

moo

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have ask this several times. Who makes the determination who gets listed in NamUs and who doesn't? Is it the family or the police detective on the case?

Apparently anyone can enter it. The person who enters it must register on the site first (could take a couple of business days, it says) and then the missing person must be verified to actually be missing (see below)

From the NamUs site's FAQ page:

[h=1]Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)[/h]
1. Who can create a missing persons case in NamUs?
Anyone can enter a case, after becoming a registered NamUs user. The case will be verified as an active missing persons case with law enforcement prior to information being published on the site. A National Crime Information Center (NCIC) number or law enforcement case number must be in place before the case is published on the NamUs site (both are preferred). The NCIC number is an official law enforcement tracking number for a missing persons report and can be obtained through a law enforcement agency. These steps are taken to ensure data quality as well as to prevent fraudulent use of the site.

Apparently anyone can enter it. The person who enters it must register on the site first (could take a couple of business days, it says) and then the missing person must be verified to actually be missing (see below)

From the NamUs site's FAQ page:

[h=1]Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)[/h]
1. Who can create a missing persons case in NamUs?
Anyone can enter a case, after becoming a registered NamUs user. The case will be verified as an active missing persons case with law enforcement prior to information being published on the site. A National Crime Information Center (NCIC) number or law enforcement case number must be in place before the case is published on the NamUs site (both are preferred). The NCIC number is an official law enforcement tracking number for a missing persons report and can be obtained through a law enforcement agency. These steps are taken to ensure data quality as well as to prevent fraudulent use of the site.

Thanks, after I posted I was like well I guess I could look it up myself [emoji16]! ::blushing::

It is not weird . Namus needs to have the information submitted to them and it can come from family or LE . However Spotsy seems not to use namus and most people are not aware of Namus to know to do that. Alert this post to see if WS can help get Katelin entered into Namus. I think it might be possible .

Even more helpful would be Katelin's dental information .

Thanks, after I posted I was like well I guess I could look it up myself [emoji16]! ::blushing::

That's okay! I had the site still opened and thought others may appreciate the info as well and not have the time to dig for it.
(I sooooo love it when people post clips from sites or articles because sometimes I just can't get to it, but I'm curious.)

<modsnip>

Has Amber been in contact with any of the friends that katelin spent time during her visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat