VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Praying wherever Katelin is she is safe and warm. Embracing her loved ones during the holiday season with peace and hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to check on Katelin's thread before I started cooking and getting busy today. We need some good news so badly!

Cooking this morning for company this afternoon. I am wishing a good Cristmas for everyone here at WS.

I am hoping and praying for a Christmas miracle today for Katelin, Amber & Mom, and the respective families.

Do we know where Katelin graduated high school? I was just thinking about it this morning but couldn't find the answer anywhere. There is one article that says she graduated early.

Investigators have confirmed that Akens’ stepfather dropped her off at the Springfield Mall that day, but what happened after that remains a mystery.

Her luggage was found a couple of days later in a drainage ditch in River Road in Spotsylvania near its intersection with Fall Hill Avenue.

http://m.fredericksburg.com/news/lo...054-a9b0-11e5-a16a-e7a7f3948818.html?mode=jqm

The only search warrant filed in Spotsylvania regarding the Akens case is also sealed. That warrant gave police the authority to search her Facebook account.

I am extremely disappointed that apparently no one heard from Katelin on Christmas day. This just makes me feel that something has happened to her. I honestly do not feel she would have ruined her family's Christmas if she were at all able to contact them. Not trying to be negative but now it has been too long and more searches need to be made, IMO.

I've read Websleuths for a while, but only very recently registered. Since I'm local, though, I felt like I could add a few things to discussion that I don't think have been covered, so this is my first post.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned - local politics. In an ideal world, local politics shouldn't influence a missing persons investigation. However, the Commonwealth's Attorney(in many states this official would be called the District Attorney) lost his election back in November. His successor is preparing to take office in January. This means that the prosecutor's office is currently in transition. I don't have any inside knowledge, so I don't know how that transition is affecting things specifically, but I do wonder if the situation could be having an effect on lines of communication between law enforcement and the CA's office. It does seem incredibly weird that there haven't been calls for people to check their property or lots of posters placed all over the area. As far as I know the only "find Katelin" effort out there is a private FB group and that, by definition, isn't going to reach much of the community.

Another thing to keep in mind - Spotsylvania is a county that went from being rural to high-density suburban in very short order. To this day, services are still striving to keep up with that rapid growth. I don't know how many cases the local sheriff is currently working, but that office tends to stay quite busy. If this is a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" situation, it certainly wouldn't hurt for the family to keep checking in with the sheriff's office.

I couldn't find it in any posts here, but has the family contacted Fairfax police? If it's supposedly verified that stepdad dropped KA off at Springfield Mall, the Fairfax PD should be involved. If Spotsy hasn't brought in Fairfax, the family may want to call them.

I've read Websleuths for a while, but only very recently registered. Since I'm local, though, I felt like I could add a few things to discussion that I don't think have been covered, so this is my first post.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned - local politics. In an ideal world, local politics shouldn't influence a missing persons investigation. However, the Commonwealth's Attorney(in many states this official would be called the District Attorney) lost his election back in November. His successor is preparing to take office in January. This means that the prosecutor's office is currently in transition. I don't have any inside knowledge, so I don't know how that transition is affecting things specifically, but I do wonder if the situation could be having an effect on lines of communication between law enforcement and the CA's office. It does seem incredibly weird that there haven't been calls for people to check their property or lots of posters placed all over the area. As far as I know the only "find Katelin" effort out there is a private FB group and that, by definition, isn't going to reach much of the community.

Another thing to keep in mind - Spotsylvania is a county that went from being rural to high-density suburban in very short order. To this day, services are still striving to keep up with that rapid growth. I don't know how many cases the local sheriff is currently working, but that office tends to stay quite busy. If this is a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" situation, it certainly wouldn't hurt for the family to keep checking in with the sheriff's office.

I couldn't find it in any posts here, but has the family contacted Fairfax police? If it's supposedly verified that stepdad dropped KA off at Springfield Mall, the Fairfax PD should be involved. If Spotsy hasn't brought in Fairfax, the family may want to call them.
Welcome! Wonderful first post!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

:welcome3:

Come on in and make yourselves comfortable!

:daisy:

:bump:

I cant believe theres been nothing.
I feel like they might have a good idea whats happened but arent saying anything until they find her.

I agree, I have seen it in the past when someone has gone missing that things may get "overlooked" when it comes to issues going into different counties/jurisdictions. I definately think Fairfax should be brought in on the case.

I just wanted to say-- thank you everyone for the well wishes and the love. Thank you for being here and for all of your wonderful sleuthing and speculating. I've been having a hard time dealing with all of this. Mentally and emotionally it feels like I'm being pulled apart all over the place. If Katelin IS safe, I find it practically impossible to believe that she wouldn't contact anyone she loves to at least say "Merry Christmas". It just doesn't make any sense....

Anyway.... please hold the ones you love close to you and tell them and show them as often as you can how much you truly love and cherish them, because you just never know when it could be the last time.

Happy holidays to all of you and yours. <3

nic-
We are in it for the long haul.
May today be the day.
Keep the faith, hon.

Praying shes found...
my opinion is more shouldebe getting done to find this girl does no one who works at mall recognise her someone somewhere must off seen this girl,
Bus/taxi drivers anyone who travels and can get word out.
it must be horrible to think shes either okay and putting you all through this or the awful alternative I hope where ever she is she is safe guess that is all anyone can hope for ....

IMO enough is not being done. I do not understand why there are no searches being done. I understand there was a search that was done in the area where the luggage was found, but no other searches?? Why isn't family taking it upon themselves to search any and everywhere? Even LE didn't want them to search in the area the luggage was found, why not search the mall area, and other places? Idk I guess I'm worried there is a lack of cohesion in efforts.

Man, I'm out of town for the holidays--visiting my family in New Orleans--but Katelin hasn't been far from my mind. I was so hoping that I'd log in and see she'd be found safe. I'll be back in DC later in the week. I'll mosey out to springfield when I return and take a look around and ask people that I know if they've heard anything. If there are any places in particular anyone would like to see, let me know and I'll photograph them and post here! But hopefully she'll be found safe before then and there won't be a need for it.

I live three miles from Springfield. I haven't heard anything in our local news. :(

Just reading through this thread and the comments... I live 3 miles away from the mall and metro station in Springfield. I drive by both a minimum of 6 times a week. I have never seen any missing persons posters. Furthermore, I've been to the mall quite a few times in the last week and zero posters :(

Locals, are there missing posters up in the area? Or were posters just handed out? Even if the general consensus is that she never made it to the mall or the metro station, there would be a LOT of locals who are in that area and visit the mall and station. Those people could have been on River Road that day and seen something. Missing posters should be up all over the area imo. Are they?

tia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member