VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, when law enforcement stated "and this has happened before", this pertains to past cases of missing persons who decided at the last minute to change plans. I don't think it was directed personally to Kaitlin or a decision she might have made.

Thank you! Sorry, I am spinning my wheels here.

BBM

The, "this has happened before" part has me puzzled bc WHEN did it happen before? When she was 11 or 12? or six months ago? That matters to me.

There are just too many things missing from this story.

Have we even heard what she was wearing on that day?

We're hoping – and this has happened before (that we, LE, have seen in other missing person's cases)– that she simply decided that she wasn't going to go back [to Arizona] and made other arrangements," Pearce says. "Information recovered from her social media accounts and her cellphone records shows that [that (a decision to make other arrangements) may be case]."

My question is: What did LE see on her social media accounts and her cellphone records that show them that that may be the case?
We've heard that she texted saying she was not coming home "that day" and would let Amber know when she got another flight, but that doesn't sound like she didn't want to EVER go back to Arizona. Was there more? (Well there MUST be more, because, good gravy we've got so little to gnaw on here!)

Had she made comments or posts on sm about being nervous about starting school? about stressing over something? being low on cash? wanting time for more fun? feeling down or sad? fed up with anything? Maybe someone has come forward to police and shared something with them that the family is unaware of. If LE is not doing searches, are they obligated to reveal everything they know? I mean you would hope they would say: well we have evidence that she wanted to leave. She is an adult and although she may have left with a weirdo, we can't do anything about it.

I am just thinking about situations where a family is not too keen on their loved one's boyfriend, for example, and the daughter turns 18 and runs off with him and never contacts her family again. The guy, according to the family, is a and maybe even treats her like crap -- but if the daughter left on her own, can anyone do anything?? I mean it's not against the law to go off the grid, so to speak, go live in a commune, or something, right?

NOT saying Katelin ran off with a new boyfriend and joined a commune, but just using that as an example for my question.

moo

I don't think we know why, I don't think we know when, I don't think we know where.
I hate to sound like a Dr. Seuss book, but I don't think we know very, very much at all.

I've followed some cases, not many, many like some here, but isn't that weird that there is so little out there? Some cases have small details rehashed over and over in the media and here we have almost nothing... Strange.

I've followed some cases, not many, many like some here, but isn't that weird that there is so little out there? Some cases have small details rehashed over and over in the media and here we have almost nothing... Strange.

Which is why I feel like LE has quite a bit more info, and don't need to release any in order to figure out what's happened. MOO

I feel like at the end of the day, if they still needed help or clues we would have had a presser to ask for leads, or further information. I just hope that if this is the case that she is somewhere safely and they just aren't releasing that info for some reason!

Which is why I feel like LE has quite a bit more info, and don't need to release any in order to figure out what's happened. MOO

I feel like at the end of the day, if they still needed help or clues we would have had a presser to ask for leads, or further information. I just hope that if this is the case that she is somewhere safely and they just aren't releasing that info for some reason!

I hope she is ok somewhere, but if so and LE knows that - why not say "She's ok. case closed. end of story." Then everyone will be out of her business and no one thinks a crazed loon is abducting young women at the mall....or something...

When was the very last time someone actually heard Katelins voice and or saw her in person? Not including mom or sd?

Just saw the post about the boat launch being close to where the bags were found - that is a bit disturbing to me as I've seen water factor into these cases way too many times.

How tolerant is this area she lives in? Could this have been a hate crime?

I like in Spotsylvania and work in Fredericksburg. There are posters up.

I live in Nova (Northern Va) this is not publicized like it should, like any of us would hope.

If anyone has been able to reconcile these two elements of this case please share with us. First there are the text messages which to me sounds as if Kaitlin sent them. To her mother she says, "made it to the airport," as if she was asked by her mother to text when she got there. To her fiancé she says, "something came up and I won't be back today. I'll let you know when I get another flight," or some words to that effect. I ran this by someone young and was told you don't say, "something came up," unless you intend not to see them again. According to my source that phase is commonly used to communicate that you're not interested anymore.

But then we have the issue of the luggage which is thrown into a drainage ditch on a road that to me has a creepy look to it. And if things were removed that we have heard were removed it looks like an abductor threw the suitcase. That certainly wouldn't tie in with the message sent to the fiancé. So how do we reconcile these conflicting issues?

If anyone has been able to reconcile these two elements of this case please share with us. First there are the text messages which to me sounds as if Kaitlin sent them. To her mother she says, "made it to the airport," as if she was asked by her mother to text when she got there. To her fiancé she says, "something came up and I won't be back today. I'll let you know when I get another flight," or some words to that effect. I ran this by someone young and was told you don't say, "something came up," unless you intend not to see them again. According to my source that phase is commonly used to communicate that you're not interested anymore.

But then we have the issue of the luggage which is thrown into a drainage ditch on a road that to me has a creepy look to it. And if things were removed that we have heard were removed it looks like an abductor threw the suitcase. That certainly wouldn't tie in with the message sent to the fiancé. So how do we reconcile these conflicting issues?

Since amber called katelins mom immediately upon katelin not picking up her phone immediately after sending that text should tell us that Katelin would know that amber would have sounded the alarm to mom.

So like a poster said upthread. Maybe it was done in front of someone that Katelin was feeling uncomfortable with. So she sent the confusing texts so they will be alarmed quicker.

But since LE decided to use the only public statement to mention that her previous sm usage shows that she may have run off. Tells us that LE did not give the plausible stranger abduction theory a fighting chance. So idk what to think.

Since amber called katelins mom immediately upon katelin not picking up her phone immediately after sending that text should tell us that Katelin would know that amber would have sounded the alarm to mom.

So like a poster said upthread. Maybe it was done in front of someone that Katelin was feeling uncomfortable with. So she sent the confusing texts so they will be alarmed quicker.

But since LE decided to use the only public statement to mention that her previous sm usage shows that she may have run off. Tells us that LE did not give the plausible stranger abduction theory a fighting chance. So idk what to think.

I know we've discussed the text being confusing or possibly cryptic but when I looked at them further I thought they seem consistent with something she may do on her own before turning off her phone. Responses to request to let her know when she at the airport on the part of her mother and possibly her fiancé as well. It's just that when looking further at the text to the fiancé I saw it could be interpreted as brushing someone off.

I'm very sure there were many reasons for LE to come out and say what they did in the way that they did... but I'm not convinced at all that she ran off...

IME "something came up" means "I don't want to talk about why I can't go/be there/whatever." It's not a total send off goodbye, just a vague brush off. I really don't think she sent those text messages. They're just too convenient and too perfect. Sending them opened a big chunk of time before anyone would miss her and go looking.

I know we've discussed the text being confusing or possibly cryptic but when I looked at them further I thought they seem consistent with something she may do on her own before turning off her phone. Responses to request to let her know when she at the airport on the part of her mother and possibly her fiancé as well. It's just that when looking further at the text to the fiancé I saw it could be interpreted as brushing someone off.

Maybe you're right. But if you don't want to go back home across country to be with your fiance. Then why not just stay at home with mom or sis ir a friend in VA. Why all the preambles for simply not wanting to go back home at the moment where you find yourself ditching clothes on the side of the road.

IME "something came up" means "I don't want to talk about why I can't go/be there/whatever." It's not a total send off goodbye, just a vague brush off. I really don't think she sent those text messages. They're just too convenient and too perfect. Sending them opened a big chunk of time before anyone would miss her and go looking.

If the text are consistent with the disposal of the luggage I think the police are correct not to look too much at stranger abduction.

I never know what to think. :)

I just read an update in another thread about a young woman (who might have been ill) who went missing on her own. She was missing, then found halfway across the country, then didn't contact anyone and LE said there was nothing they could do. And now months later her case is reopened and there's an official search for her again.

Maybe that is what's happening here but IMO nothing about Katelin suggests she would do this on her own.

A lot of articles have said her "identification card" was found in her luggage. I wonder if it was specifically her driver license. In none of the articles have I read "driver license" so I just am wondering if she had a license or was it an ID card. Did she drive? Was it a school ID card and she also had a license but that was not left behind?
Just wondering...

Good point. She could very well have an Arizona "walker's ID" or even an AZ DL. Or both Virginia and an Arizona walkers and/or DL ID.

I actually have 2 DL's (plus, a still valid DMV-issued walkers ID from another state I resided in) from my home state: I thought my DL had been stolen so applied and received a new one - easy peasy, done online while waiting at the dentist's. Anyway, silly me found the old one under my seat in the car while cleaning it out, so now I have two DL's from same state. So it's really simple to have more than one drivers license (or any DMV-issued ID) at a time, even from the same state.

Let's pretend she had a similar situation as I did re DL/ID from the DMV and she had to get hers replaced. So, she does, and then keeps the new state issued ID, and throws out the old one along with her luggage.

I guess I'm just trying to find logic for why someone would voluntarily throw out their wallet essentials. And although, personally, I'd cut mine up before trashing, this could also suffice for being a "reason" for throwing it out/not needing it anymore. Just a theory. JTOL

All said and done, though, I don't think she's voluntarily missing, but just trying to weigh all the possibilities here. ... Sorry for the long winded blurb....tired.

IMHO, JMO, ET AL.

Sent via Tapatalk - excuse my fumbling typos as I'm in a mobile.

Here's my conclusion for now: The Texts consistent with something Kaitlin would say. JMO. But the texts spell out that the fiancé is getting the brushoff. The suitcase on the other hand appears to be connected with abduction. JMO. A cunning abductor could have sent the text and that is consistent with the luggage disposal. JMO. I'm concluding an abduction took place.

Now I will sleep on that; good night.

Personally, I'm not swayed by LE comments about "this has happened before" in other cases. As far we know, Katelin has no means of support. Unless she decided to live on the streets, (which I don't believe) I find it very difficult to believe she has run away from her life. JMO of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member