VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I have ask this several times. Who makes the determination who gets listed in NamUs and who doesn't? Is it the family or the police detective on the case?

Edit: never mind looked it up, anyone can it just has to be verified before it is listed!

Great point you and Cookie.

I thought someone could be listed if there had been a police report filed for a missing person. I could be wrong. Anyone?

Edit to add: Ooops I just scrolled up and saw the posts about this. Nevermind.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/spotsylvania/search-for-ciccone-s-killer-likely-to-extend-into/article_4eea9054-a9b0-11e5-a16a-e7a7f3948818.html

vestigators have confirmed that Akens’ stepfather dropped her off at the Springfield Mall that day, but what happened after that remains a mystery.
Her luggage was found a couple of days later in a drainage ditch in River Road in Spotsylvania near its intersection with Fall Hill Avenue.
Akens’ plane ticket, credit card and other personal items were in the luggage.
The only search warrant filed in Spotsylvania regarding the Akens case is also sealed. That warrant gave police the authority to search her Facebook account.

Sealed warrant? Wow, they are extremely tight-lipped on this!

<modsnip>

It really sounds to me like she didn't plan to go on her own. I'm sending my hopes and prayers that she's found safe and sound..

I don't know if we have touched on the possibility of a history of mental illness or not.

You know, late teens, early twenties is when a lot of mental illnesses first come to the forefront. The onset of an episode could explain everything and then work into the theory that Katelin ran away. It becomes very plausible as people in the throws of mental illness do a lot of things that seem odd.

Just a thought.

I've been wondering the same thing, especially regarding her age group (18-22) and the off chance of an onset of mental illness. Environmental stressors often trigger a break at this age due to life changes at this age and what not, even for disorders that aren't necessarily genetically based ( Bipolar I or schizophrenia versus Major Depression or Anxiety). I'm not implying this is what the issue is or anything - I've just been thinking a lot about when I was 19 and how erratic and "crazy" some of us were at that age. Combined with a predisposition for an underlying mental illness disorder - inheritable or not - I can remember a friend or two who literally went off the rails around 19-21. I REALLY hope this isn't so, but nobody should be ashamed if it is the case. I'm not sure what to think happened here but mental breakdown something one has to look at given her age.

I wish we knew if she's ever had a history of drugs and alcohol.

I'm really worried about this girl! I just hope LE is working hard on this case and whatever they know (o don't know) about her, isn't cause for biased assumptions in their search.

MOOOOO

Sent via Tapatalk - excuse my fumbling typos as I'm in a mobile.

Inconsistencies in this case are enough to make me batty tbh.
The two missing person posters from a post upthread, for example. She was wearing a black jacket? I thought it was grey. Same with her shoes. I thought they were reported to be grey and pink. The pictures we've seen are not all current, her weight was inaccurate.
The article above says her "plane ticket" was found in her luggage, but we were told it was her old ticket from her flight from AZ to VA.

It's so annoying because we don't know what to believe!

This is the first I had heard of the warrant for her fb account and that it was sealed. Interesting. I guess that is why LE was saying there were things on her sm account making them think that she made other arrangements? Maybe not posts that all of her friends could see, but pm's on fb?

moo

I wonder what would happen if someone were to call the police department there to ask some questions.

A few years ago, I started following a case of a girl who went missing and was reportedly in my area. I called the Sheriff's department and LUCKED out.. The sheriff gave me some insider information and hence my love for WS started.

The girl ended up being found and all is well.. I wish I felt that Katelyn ran off but I don't. There's no way she left with no car, no money, no clothes, NOTHING.

I'll call their local departments - what city would it be ? I don't expect any answers but wow, the silence is beyond ridiculous at this point.

http://www.spotsylvania.va.us/Christmas-Parade

It looks like there was a good-sized holiday parade marching through the streets in Spotsylvania on Sat, Dec 5th, starting at 1. This falls in the timeframe between the 2 text messages (12:30 & 2). Any locals know if the parade would have caused major roads to be closed, diverting traffic to the back roads for say, someone heading to the airport? Would River Rd (suitcase) be an alternate route if main roads closed?

Did anyone see Katelin at the parade, or passing by in the car with Stepdad?

Note: FB page for Spotsylvania Middle school has several parade pics posted; we could check around and just see if she may be in any background shots?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spotsylvania-Middle/1566954923527314?rf=106130076110478

She could, although I'm not sure how long it would take her to do so. People get their FB accounts hacked all the time. I don't think any of this has anything at all remotely to do with her disappearance, though, so I'm not inclined to press the issue.

Oh I agree. I was just wondering. That's the thing. This whole case is just confusing, and frustrating.

I just have to say that if Christmas passes and still no word from Katelin to Amber or her own family, then I feel something has happened to her.

I'm certainly going to be thinking of Katelin and many of the other missing persons cases I am following.

Prayers for Katelin wherever she may be.

Because any family that feels like Christmas is still important once their baby girl has only been missing for 20 days says a lot. Jmo.

Now Christmas is definitely a special occasion. But not 20 days after your family member goes missing.

-- Exactly. It doesn't feel like Christmas means anything to me this year AT ALL.

http://www.spotsylvania.va.us/Christmas-Parade

It looks like there was a good-sized holiday parade marching through the streets in Spotsylvania on Sat, Dec 5th, starting at 1. This falls in the timeframe between the 2 text messages (12:30 & 2). Any locals know if the parade would have caused major roads to be closed, diverting traffic to the back roads for say, someone heading to the airport? Would River Rd (suitcase) be an alternate route if main roads closed?

Did anyone see Katelin at the parade, or passing by in the car with Stepdad?

Note: FB page for Spotsylvania Middle school has several parade pics posted; we could check around and just see if she may be in any background shots?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spotsylvania-Middle/1566954923527314?rf=106130076110478

From Spotsylvania Middle School to 6600 River Road is approximately 13 miles, and I don't think parade routes at that age are anywhere near that distance however someone may have more knowledge of this than I do.

I did take the time to look at those picks from the parade and didn't see Katelin but it doesn't hurt to have someone else look too.

Folks, there are broken quotes in this thread, going back several pages. PLEASE preview your posts to ensure your quotes are correct.

To reply to a post, click "Reply With Quote" and make sure your response appears either 100% before the beginning tag or after the end tag.

:tyou:

Sorry if I'm doing this all wrong, this is my first time posting and I'm still trying to figure things out. Anyways if the person who hacked her FB acct was sending rude or harassment type messages to people, I just wonder if someone receiving one of those messages got upset, maybe didn't believe her, decided to get vengeful themselves, idk just a thought. But it also seems to me like that may be important info for LE, IMO

:greetings: :welcome4:

I don't believe in a suicide theory ether. But a running theory is high on my list.

It's second on my list behind something happening to her even before the airport which is why the bags are close to home . But I can see running away as well and the scenario may have been such that with her sister having a baby and leading a a more accepted lifestyle (in the eyes of some), others became less tolerant . She came to see the new baby but maybe the visit subjected her to unwelcomed advice or outright harshness and she felt she needed to disconnect especially if she was questioning life and the future herself.

It's my second theory only because I think she would have been caught on camera if she truly was dropped off by the SD unless she had a ride waiting at the same area of the mall that had no cameras.

<modsnip>

There are many missing people and all the cases are heartbreaking in some way, but this case has grabbed my by the heart for some reason.

I'm compelled to come here every day in hopes of good news. I stay signed in here (for example) even when I'm not on the site. Someone mentioned this as it pertains to the FB conversation, but yeah I stay signed in even when I'm not here. Just throwing in a personal tidbit FWIW.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all fellow posters. It warms my heart to see so many caring, loving, compassionate people come together to try to help someone we (most of us) don't even know. That is so amazing and renews my faith in humanity even with all the hate and problems in the "real" world. Sorry for the mushy soapbox rant , but all you guys are so great. .... Just saying... Hugs. XOXO

Over 2000 years ago, it is said, the shepherds found the child lying in a manger, as they were told they would. This may yet be a case where Kaitlin will be found as well. In this season of hope remain hopeful that we will yet see this young woman return.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member