VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything about this is getting hinky as hell.
What I don't get is why can't LE at least come out and say something like, "no new leads, still investigating" or something like that? There hasn't been any info for almost a month! It took almost a month to enter her in NAMUS!
Why does no one know what she's wearing? I'm trying to think positive that no news is good news, but it's frustrating

I have a question though, how exactly were her clothes found? Were they like hidden, or just thrown on the side of the road?

What I don't get is why can't LE at least come out and say something like, "no new leads, still investigating" or something like that? There hasn't been any info for almost a month! It took almost a month to enter her in NAMUS!
Why does no one know what she's wearing? I'm trying to think positive that no news is good news, but it's frustrating

I have a question though, how exactly were her clothes found? Were they like hidden, or just thrown on the side of the road?

To my knowledge there is debate over whether clothing was in the luggage, found scattered, or not found at all. I really don't know what (if anything) has been verified.

Supposedly according to the public facebook page there were no clothes found.

I dunno, just thinking out loud, but maybe LE CAN'T say any of the things we would expect them to say, such as you have listed. Let's say Katelin is safe but for whatever reason doesn't want the public to know anything, for some reason. It might involve what she believes to be her safety at risk or that she simply wants her privacy and feels it's no one's business. I guess that would be her right since she's not the one who contacted LE for any assistance; she's not the one who put her name out there; etc. Would LE have to respect her wishes and not provide anyone with any information?

Since this girl is a legal adult, if she is "missing" by her own choosing and LE know it, they (LE) are under no legal obligation to tell the public anything. Although, in most cases, as a simple courtesy to the public, when someone does go missing by their own choosing and LE has previously asked the public for assistance, they will issue a short statement to the affect of "has been located and is safe - wishes no contact".

As with many "missing" cases, the longer it goes on the more details come out that should have come out right away, but didn't (for a variety of reasons). I have no clear direction on this - whether she's met with foul play, took off on her own, or a combination of both.

It doesn't mention being dropped off at the mall, only the metro station. Hmmm. Surely they knew at that time she was dropped off elsewhere, right?

I wonder if family dropping her off means more than one person? Check this out. Cellphone be pingin'.

"We're hoping – and this has happened before – that she simply decided that she wasn't going to go back [to Arizona] and made other arrangements," Pearce says. "Information recovered from her social media accounts and her cellphone records shows that [that may be case]."

He adds: "But until we can locate her, this is a missing persons case. We're not giving up."

http://www.people.com/article/spotsylvania-county-katelin-michelle-akens-missing-heather-ciccone-dead

Since this girl is a legal adult, if she is "missing" by her own choosing and LE know it, they (LE) are under no legal obligation to tell the public anything. Although, in most cases, as a simple courtesy to the public, when someone does go missing by their own choosing and LE has previously asked the public for assistance, they will issue a short statement to the affect of "has been located and is safe - wishes no contact".

As with many "missing" cases, the longer it goes on the more details come out that should have come out right away, but didn't (for a variety of reasons). I have no clear direction on this - whether she's met with foul play, took off on her own, or a combination of both.

If LE located her and she wished for the public to know nothing about her, then LE would at least close the case. They would say that she is "no longer a missing person". And we would at least be left to assume that she is not deceased by murder.

The NamUs profile has been updated. It now says she is missing from Spotslyvania. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/31989.

They have also changed the profile strength to medium-high, earlier today it was rated as 'medium-low'. I wonder if they have received additional info. that is not made public.

In Virginia, the process for missing persons reporting does not include NAMUS - they notify NCMEC within 24 hours and enter the case into NCIC, which was done. The NAMUS profile likely came from outside or someone and NCMEC, not LE.

This thread is quickly spiraling into wild speculation, and even though it has been clarified over and over again, including by mods, some of you are still confused over Katelin being "seen"at the mall. She wasn't.

LE have CCTV footage of SDs car in the "area of the mall". They do not have Katelin on camera, or any evidence she ever left Spotsylvania.

http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/
According to Captain Jeff Pearce with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office, authorities have been able to corroborate that Akens’ stepfather’s car was in the area of the mall that day, though there is no surveillance video of Katelin or her stepdad at Springfield Town Center. Captain Pearce says cameras were not covering the area of the mall that the stepfather says he left Katelin. He would not elaborate on how investigators confirmed the car was there.

Right now, police cannot confirm whether Katelin was at the mall or if she even left Spotsylvania. Authorities have also not yet said that the stepfather himself was at the mall, just that his car was in the area.

The NamUs profile has been updated. It now says she is missing from Spotslyvania. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/31989.

They have also changed the profile strength to medium-high, earlier today it was rated as 'medium-low'. I wonder if they have received additional info. that is not made public.

Under "circumstances" it says her wallet, clothing and plane ticket were found inside/with her discarded luggage. Weren't we told earlier on that her clothes were missing?

Thanks, Vail. There was inaccurate reporting that said the stepfather was seen on video. Some people here keep dragging up the inaccurate and poorly written articles. The one article you linked seems to be the most accurate. http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

As for the NamUs profile, the admin. of the Help Find Katelin Facebook page says that it was the Spotslyvania LE that submitted the info to NamUs. https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindKatelinAkens/?ref=ts&fref=ts Note that it was entered one month from the time she went missing. They might routinely submit missing persons to NamUs at one month.

Under "circumstances" it says her wallet, clothing and plane ticket were found inside/with her discarded luggage. Weren't we told earlier on that her clothes were missing?

Yes, we were told that her clothes were missing. We don't have confirmation as to what was actually in or missing from the suitcase.

If LE located her and she wished for the public to know nothing about her, then LE would at least close the case. They would say that she is "no longer a missing person". And we would at least be left to assume that she is not deceased by murder.

That's what happened with Audry Stevens. LE said she'd been located and made contact and was no longer a missing person even though she hadn't been in contact with her family.

Wow. All very interesting. I've known a few people who have been "cutters". Seems more to hurt themselves, make them "feel" rather than suicidal attempts.

I am definitely getting the feeling that she may have taken off on her own. :( Hope she is okay.

AND... anyone know who is running the new Facebook community page to help find Katelin?

Beth Watson and I (Amber's mom) are running the new page. She started the group, and she made me an admin.

Thanks, Vail. There was inaccurate reporting that said the stepfather was seen on video. Some people here keep dragging up the inaccurate and poorly written articles. The one article you linked seems to be the most accurate. http://wric.com/2015/12/10/new-developments-in-case-of-19-year-old-missing-from-spotsylvania/

As for the NamUs profile, the admin. of the Help Find Katelin Facebook page says that it was the Spotslyvania LE that submitted the info to NamUs. https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindKatelinAkens/?ref=ts&fref=ts Note that it was entered one month from the time she went missing. They might routinely submit missing persons to NamUs at one month.

She took her cellphone but not the charger or credit cards.

“Her phone charger, her wallet, it still had her ID, her credit cards, cash, her old glasses and her old plane ticket,” said Katelin’s sister, Gabrielle Akens.
Akens’ family tells 8News that her cell phone goes straight to voice mail when they call it.

“It’s very unusual. She texts me millions of times a day, calls us. It’s unusual for her not to text us,” said Gabrielle Akens.

Captain Pearce calls her disappearance suspicious.

Of the many pictures that have been released of Katelin, she certainly changes her look frequently.

In fact, I believe if she took her face piercings out, she would be able to walk right beside most people without being recognized. JMO.

I am so confused :(.

Reading the NAMUS info... the weight is still the supposed underestimate, and the circumstances (specifically what remained in the luggage) seem to conflict with other releases and could be misleading to those trying to help. As someone stated above, I also wonder why a family member doesn't even have a hunch on what they think she might have been wearing like "dark shirt".

BUT on the positive side of things, I am glad some new links etc. are opening up to create some renewed awareness surrounding Katelin.

On Dec 8th, Amber did an interview with Brent Solomon and told him what Katelin might be wearing, because she's pretty sure that this was the only outerwear and the only shoes Katelin brought on the trip. (A dark gray fleece hoodie/sweatshirt and pink and gray Van's shoes.)

There was also video news footage where you could hear Amber talking to the reporter over the phone, but for some reason it's no longer on this page. I'll look and see if I can find it. Anyway, he reported on her clothing and tattoos here--

http://www.nbc12.com/story/30699551/missing-spotsylvania-womans-fianc-i-dont-know-what-to-think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member