VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, not really surprising news that hes the poi. Sad though, poor poor girl!

I think the LE has really failed this poor kid. Whether it was because her case was not taken seriously enough from the start or whether investigators were less than tenacious because of her appearance, sexuality or life choices, I just feel that most of the sleuthing and solving in this case has been spearheaded by grassroots and media - Not LE.
If half of what was alluded to on the documentary regarding pings and statements is true, then I think a very guilty party is going unpunished...and hasn't really been held up to the light...

I think the LE has really failed this poor kid. Whether it was because her case was not taken seriously enough from the start or whether investigators were less than tenacious because of her appearance, sexuality or life choices, I just feel that most of the sleuthing and solving in this case has been spearheaded by grassroots and media - Not LE.
If half of what was alluded to on the documentary regarding pings and statements is true, then I think a very guilty party is going unpunished...and hasn't really been held up to the light...

I agree 100%. Looking at the pictures of his property makes me very sad. There appears to be a great deal of unpopulated, forested land around him. I don't think Katelin is still with us, but I sure hope I'm wrong.

Does anyone know what SD does for a living?

Unless the ex stepdad suffers from a disability. Then I'm surprised that they haven't exposed him as a poi while basically saying things are not adding up with him. Jmo.

Now that the step-dad seems to have been formally identified as a POI do we have a full name, DOB, address etc? It is possible that these things have been mentioned upthread some time ago and I've missed them as I am just RE-tuning in now...

ETA: Scratch that...I just found the relevant page and posts...thanks guys!

Taking what we know now, here is what LE said at their last update:

The Spotsylvania Sheriff's Office says those responsible, or who have knowledge of her disappearance, may exhibit behavior changes, including:
Altering of physical appearance (growth or removal of facial hair, change in hair color or cut, etc.)
Change in normal routine, which might include missing work, classes, or previously scheduled appointments
Displays of anxiety, nervousness, or irritability
Disposing of property without legitimate or reasonable explanations
Intense interest in the status of this investigation
Unexplained injuries (cuts on hands, bruise, etc) contemporaneous to when Katelin was last seen

i wonder if there was a search warrant that allowed them access to his computer, vehicles, and phone. or if he allowed them access.

it seems to me that since he is unwilling to provide with the password to his phone, he probably didnt hand it over willingly either.

so assuming there was a search warrant, should they have been able to access his bank records also?

thinking about what, if any, purchases he may have made around that time that may seem suspicious.

i wonder what he is hiding on that phone, i suppose you could argue that it is just a principled stand, but i think we would all agree that if we had nothing to hide and it would help eliminate us as suspects in a disappearance/murder - we would offer up complete access to the phone. if you were worried about some evidence of some minor crime on the phone (idk buying pot or something) i think you could work out a deal to have the police ignore any evidence of unrelated misdemeanors in return for your cooperation or something.

they have access to his phone records and pings from the phone company, what types of things would be on the phone but not reflected in the phone company logs?

pictures? what about something like internet browser history?

Hi, all. My then boyfriend and I knew someone who had committed a sort of big crime. They asked us to come to the police station and answer some questions, which we did. The "Feds" then asked if they could search our house. They said, basically, we are going to search it one way or the other, you can make it easy or we will get a warrant, and then we can make it very difficult for you guys. We agreed, but my boyfriend said, what if you find something illegal, not on the warrant. The Federal Marshall said, if we are talking about a little bit of pot for your own use, then we are all okay. However, if we are talking about kilos of cocaine, there is definitely going to be a problem. All in all they were very good to us, did not make a mess, and were very polite. So, unless you have a major crime to hide, I think they are willing to work things out, it seems to me, as long as you are relatively cooperative, and unless they really think it was you who had committed the crime. I think they are only looking specifically for what they are looking for. This is my own opinion, however. I hope very much that they find Kaitlyn alive and soon. Thanks all, Katt

Still catching up, but it appears that the same theory I've had since day one is correct. I hope they get that creep!

Unless the ex stepdad suffers from a disability. Then I'm surprised that they haven't exposed him as a poi while basically saying things are not adding up with him. Jmo.
Yeah, what the hell is protecting this guy?? I'm baffled.

Yeah, what the hell is protecting this guy?? I'm baffled.

the lack of a body, any physical evidence, crime scene, and motive. and fairly good evidence to support the idea she may have run off.

dont get me wrong - im convinced. but they would be rolling the dice trying to charge him with her murder right now.

what i dont understand is why they are still refusing to name him, put out images of his vehicles, and ask for the public's help.

any number of people could have relevant information about this guy but still have no idea that he is involved in this situation.

I think those text messages and WHERE they pinged from are very telling.....we didn't know all that until the CrimeWatch story.....very telling IMO.

This is my thoughts too. It all comes down to those pings and texts imo

yep im confused too, it seems like they had a warrant for other things but no mention of his house.

im also wondering where the evidence is of his car being in the area of the mall, and when exactly it happened, and how it fits into the timeline...

They never searched his house?

ETA...whoops, I responded to the wrong post on here. It was a post near this post. Sorry.
They never searched his house?
Recalling way, way back supposedly step dad parked in an area that was out of range of the camera's at the mall. And I do think he was possibly seen traveling in the area to the mall.
If needed by anyone I am willing to go back and search the links posted here for this info.

I'm going to state a very unpopular opinion. As a former local of the Stafford/Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania area for 28 years, I doubt this case will be solved. There is still very much of a "good old boy" network at work in the area. Sometimes who you know has a huge impact on the justice served. If SD and his family have been in the area a while, chances are they know or are related to members of law enforcement. As sad as it is, if SD is actually guilty, chances of finding evidence after this much time are slim. He can look suspicious as heck, but suspicions are not enough to charge someone with a crime.

I'm going to state a very unpopular opinion. As a former local of the Stafford/Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania area for 28 years, I doubt this case will be solved. There is still very much of a "good old boy" network at work in the area. Sometimes who you know has a huge impact on the justice served. If SD and his family have been in the area a while, chances are they know or are related to members of law enforcement. As sad as it is, if SD is actually guilty, chances of finding evidence after this much time are slim. He can look suspicious as heck, but suspicions are not enough to charge someone with a crime.
Yep, I have lived in an area such as that. Ex boyfriend, a mechanic with hands on my neck and LE saw and drove right past.

Do they mention where katelins phone pinged when she text or called mom and said I made it here.

Or did they mentioned where her phone pinged when she texted Amber about not being able to catch the flight that day?

Now let's say that Katelin was running away or suicidal. Then maybe she texted Amber because Amber was supposed to to meet her at the airport or in Vegas.

So maybe she didn't want Amber to go through that trouble. So she sent her a quick text.

Idk.
There's definitely a reason why Amber moved on...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Yep. But we kind of knew since mum drove Katelin to his house from her house.

So they were definitely separated but social I guess.
But why would the mother of a child decide to let her ex-husband, not the father of her daughter feel comfortable enough to ask/let her Ex take her daughter to the airport as a last resort? She maybe trusted her Ex? Or...

Now that the step-dad seems to have been formally identified as a POI do we have a full name, DOB, address etc? It is possible that these things have been mentioned upthread some time ago and I've missed them as I am just RE-tuning in now...

ETA: Scratch that...I just found the relevant page and posts...thanks guys!
Links? I'm lost

ETA...whoops, I responded to the wrong post on here. It was a post near this post. Sorry.

Recalling way, way back supposedly step dad parked in an area that was out of range of the camera's at the mall. And I do think he was possibly seen traveling in the area to the mall.
If needed by anyone I am willing to go back and search the links posted here for this info.
I hate for you to go to that trouble, Lisa, but a better picture/map of understanding would help us understand.
Let me know if I can help in any way? Not sure what I can do, but you know I will!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back