VA VA - Kathleen Haley, 37, Newport News, 1 Sept 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FYI, everything on Kathleen's Facebook page has been removed other than a picture of Molly.

FYI, everything on Kathleen's Facebook page has been removed other than a picture of Molly.

Yes, that is very odd indeed. Who would have access to her facebook account? Considering the family has been so disconnected it seems from her and her disappearance, I would be surprised to learn that they would have had done such a thing.

i haven't posted on this thread before but want to chime in.

as far as hampton roads goes....all the cities are readily accessible. people very often work in one and live in another. the cities are connected by bridge-tunnels. it's nothing at all to run from virginia beach to newport news or newport news to ptown. just pointing that out for those aren't from this area.

do we know which photo is most recent? also, do we know if the specs on that pic are accurate?

i have a few contacts i can ask about this case. can't promise anything will come of it but this is just deplorable. and her family? what in the world gives? their behavior baffles me.

Maybe <modsnip> would come post at WS on this case? Anyone wanna ask her?

What do you make of that?
Sad case....

Yes, that is very odd indeed. Who would have access to her facebook account? Considering the family has been so disconnected it seems from her and her disappearance, I would be surprised to learn that they would have had done such a thing.

That's what has me puzzled. It doesn't make sense - who did it? And why not delete the account, instead of deleting everything but Molly's pics?

Please do not copy and paste comments following MSM or from social media. Instead, do the following: paraphrase without using any names, provide the link and give your fellow posters a clue as to how to find the comment.

You may use initials to refer to someone that may have insight to the case, but please do not use full names of anyone that has not been named in the MSM, is not a POI/Suspect, or is not the victim.

Thanks Guys!

Salem

i just wanted to follow up on my previous post and let you all know i have emailed a few people to see about getting coverage on this case. i have not heard anything back.

i'm going to ask my bro if he has any suggestions. he is in LE in a town neighboring NN.

i wish there was more that could be done. i can't help but wonder if KH felt that she was treasured and valued before this god-awful tragedy. i hope she did. if she knew that she could go missing amidst horrifying circumstances and that nobody would miss a beat in life, well....nobody deserves that. it's not right.

That's what has me puzzled. It doesn't make sense - who did it? And why not delete the account, instead of deleting everything but Molly's pics?

I am completely stumped. I wonder if LE is aware that someone has made modifications to her facebook account. That implies a close relationship with someone, or someone has access to her computer. Wait, wasn't her laptop also missing from her apartment?

Ok, so I just went back to the early part of this thread and confirmed that Kathleen's computer was also missing from her apartment. That seems to be rather significant considering the fact that whoever was involved in Kathleen's disappearance likely has her computer. I am certain they are able to log in to her facebook account, given the fact that it is her computer. If that person is now making changes to her facebook account, the question that I would like to ask is "why?".
There must have been something on her facebook page that held clues or relevant information about the perp.

Great sleuthing, LMC! This has got to be the saddest case I have followed -- primarily because it is like Kathleen dropped off the face of the earth, leaving no relatives or friends (which is not true, but might as well be the case). I wonder if there is any way to find out the LE status? Maybe Kathleen's sister will come on here, or at least send an email giving us an update. It sounded like an easy case to solve in the beginning -- couch in the dumpster, blood, etc., even a visitor after she disappeared from her apartment (and a police sketch, which means a witness). Someone has got to know something, if only that there is no news. I hate to think Kathleen has no one (online, at least) as her allies. And Molly -- no sign of Molly -- WTH???

I was thinking of Kathleen this morning. I haven't heard anything new about her disappearance. I'm thinking of emailing one of the local stations and see if they can maybe check to see if they are at least still investigating.

Just got here to VA, right next to NN. I was hoping to find an update about Kathleen, but after being here for a little while I am understanding why there are no answers. LE is BUSY around here.

I'm following Alexis Murphy (17 year old missing from Nelson County, VA)'s case on WS & was looking at missing women in VA on NAMUS since 1999 (randomly picked year). There are 40. What struck me about this 40 is that 5 of them are from Newport News like Kathleen. That means in the last 14 years, over 12% of the state's missing women have disappeared from Newport News. One more also went missing from nearby Hampton.

Five have also gone missing from Henrico, which according to Google is an hour from Newport News.

Four have gone missing from Norfolk, which is about 30 minutes from Newport News (per Google).

I haven't looked at all the circumstances for all of the missing women yet, but there certainly seem to be little clusters of missing women in & around the Norfolk-Newport News-Henrico area. (If there are any WSers who are awesome at maps-I am not-, this may be a great map to make- missing women in VA). Not saying all of these cases are related, but something seems to be going on in that area....

Yes, the missing women are of different ages & ethnicities but I don't buy into serial predators always going for one "type" of woman ever since Derrick Todd Lee, one of the Baton Rouge Serial Killers (the one that got the most attention & was probably the most prolific), was caught. He killed both black and white women and killed women in 20s to their 40s and is thought to possibly have also killed Mari Ann Fowler, who was 65 when she disappeared. Similarly, the other Baton Rouge serial killer who was active at the same time as Lee, Sean Vincent Gillis, also killed both black and white victims who ranged in age from their 20s all the way up to a woman in her 80s. Some were prostitutes, but one was living in a relatively affluent retirement home & one was a jogger he happened upon (and stalked & killed) from a pretty affluent family (Hardee Mosley Schmidt- her father was a judge). For many predators, I think their type is 1) female and 2) available (ie: will open the door to them, talk to them, go home with them, or they are alone & can be hit with a car/overpowered/etc). Okay, I'll stop rambling about the Baton Rouge cases- they just color the way I see missing person's cases.

I'm following Alexis Murphy (17 year old missing from Nelson County, VA)'s case on WS & was looking at missing women in VA on NAMUS since 1999 (randomly picked year). There are 40. What struck me about this 40 is that 5 of them are from Newport News like Kathleen. That means in the last 14 years, over 12% of the state's missing women have disappeared from Newport News. One more also went missing from nearby Hampton.

Five have also gone missing from Henrico, which according to Google is an hour from Newport News.

Four have gone missing from Norfolk, which is about 30 minutes from Newport News (per Google).

I haven't looked at all the circumstances for all of the missing women yet, but there certainly seem to be little clusters of missing women in & around the Norfolk-Newport News-Henrico area. (If there are any WSers who are awesome at maps-I am not-, this may be a great map to make- missing women in VA). Not saying all of these cases are related, but something seems to be going on in that area....

I am with you.

Virginia is a huge state and for the majority of missing women cases to be from there is odd.

Yes, the missing women are of different ages & ethnicities but I don't buy into serial predators always going for one "type" of woman ever since Derrick Todd Lee, one of the Baton Rouge Serial Killers (the one that got the most attention & was probably the most prolific), was caught. He killed both black and white women and killed women in 20s to their 40s and is thought to possibly have also killed Mari Ann Fowler, who was 65 when she disappeared. Similarly, the other Baton Rouge serial killer who was active at the same time as Lee, Sean Vincent Gillis, also killed both black and white victims who ranged in age from their 20s all the way up to a woman in her 80s. Some were prostitutes, but one was living in a relatively affluent retirement home & one was a jogger he happened upon (and stalked & killed) from a pretty affluent family (Hardee Mosley Schmidt- her father was a judge). For many predators, I think their type is 1) female and 2) available (ie: will open the door to them, talk to them, go home with them, or they are alone & can be hit with a car/overpowered/etc). Okay, I'll stop rambling about the Baton Rouge cases- they just color the way I see missing person's cases.

Good analysis! Something does seem to be going on, if only to say sadly that these crimes aren't getting solved.

:bump:

Sad to see when I googled "Kathleen Haley Missing" that basically no news outlets have covered this case since September 2012. Websleuths is at the top of the list of results, so I guess we're the defacto place for news/info on this case.

We are here and still care, Kathleen. Someone is getting away with it...for now. I hope LE is actively working on your case and that whoever "disappeared" you doesn't get a chance to do it to more women. So many missing and murdered women in the Newport News area....

:bump:

Sad to see when I googled "Kathleen Haley Missing" that basically no news outlets have covered this case since September 2012. Websleuths is at the top of the list of results, so I guess we're the defacto place for news/info on this case.

We are here and still care, Kathleen. Someone is getting away with it...for now. I hope LE is actively working on your case and that whoever "disappeared" you doesn't get a chance to do it to more women. So many missing and murdered women in the Newport News area....

Thanks for bumping this thread - it is so sad that a life can be taken and that's it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jzouzie
Back