Found Deceased VA - Kathleen 'Katie' Barham, 32, Portsmouth, 27 May 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He should have let her family know, but then the police should have let them know that their daughter is missing.

I did a very quick search on the steps of filing a missing person's report. (there is no 24-48 hour wait like we see on TV, by the way). You can file a report on anything at any time. However, reports aren't always taken seriously. In the case of a missing person's report, you need to supply as much information as is possible, including a recent photo (or several), a detailed description of clothes worn, any jewelry, etc., if it's known. Known hangouts, friends and family, recent contacts, etc.

Things that can delay a missing person's report.....not providing the above. So, is it possible that a report was filed, but photos, etc. were asked for and not received for several days. Say I go file a report on my husband and was supposed to follow up with recent photos or something, but he showed up, so there was no need to follow through. How many days before LE comes to check and see if they are still needed? Or would they just simply think (because they're busy), that they weren't needed anymore?

Just asking the "what ifs..."

How would have he known when the police were going to start working on this case?

I'd suspect him even more if he did not file a report.

Because they probably told him to call them if she came back which means These things take time to hash out since she isn't a minor or was actually seen being taken.

He knew they probably assumed lovers spat. Or since she is an adult that they were not bringing out a search party immediately just in case she is voluntarily missing.

So instead of gathering your own troops and getting out there. You sat by the phone and acting like you're waiting for updates. Ok

The police took long because not 1 family or friend knew that she was missing. I'm sure moms would have nagged police from the beginning. The case slipped through the cracks because hubby was very non chalant and not worried.

I still blame the police for this one. no matter who filed, they should have been on this case stat.

jmo

I still blame the police for this one. no matter who filed, they should have been on this case stat.

jmo

I'm sure hubby would like to blame them as well. But if it was your daughter would you be letting hubby off the hook for not telling you on day 12345.

I doubt it.

I'm sure hubby would like to blame them as well. But if it was your daughter would you be letting hubby off the hook for not telling you on day 12345.

I doubt it.

They were not married. RF was Katie's live in boyfriend/fiance.

Blame who? The police do need to be blamed. They dropped the ball on this case.

Btw. I forgot to tell you but Katie has been missing for 6 days. I'm just waiting for the police so we can all search together. The last time I spoke to them was 6 days ago. I'm sure they will call me soon.

Yes the kids are very worried. But I didn't want them to call and worry you about it. Hopefully the police is working on it while I make sure that nobody is alarmed due to me not telling no one in the family/friend circle.

Give me a break. He just needed thinking time to plan the dump site or to cover his tracks.

Jmo.

http://wtkr.com/2015/06/09/police-searching-for-missing-portsmouth-mother/

Her boyfriend, Rich Fegan, says he found the clothes still warm in the dryer.

“I think someone took her. I know that she wouldn’t leave,” he says.

Since she disappeared, Fegan says he has called police numerous times, but a detective wasn’t assigned to the case until Monday.

“I was asking them to track her phone because it was still on. They said they couldn’t do that without a warrant and it was too much hassle is what the other officer said to me,” he says.

If I were Katie's family, I would sue the police department. jmo

http://wtkr.com/2015/06/09/police-searching-for-missing-portsmouth-mother/

Her boyfriend, Rich Fegan, says he found the clothes still warm in the dryer.

“I think someone took her. I know that she wouldn’t leave,” he says.

Since she disappeared, Fegan says he has called police numerous times, but a detective wasn’t assigned to the case until Monday.

“I was asking them to track her phone because it was still on. They said they couldn’t do that without a warrant and it was too much hassle is what the other officer said to me,” he says.

What day did he start circulating missing posters by himself since he obviously didn't want family or friends searching?

if you go to The Virginia Pilot facebook page, according to a comment there, someone who's daughter who was the best friend of katie, said that calls were made to the police department the very next day and that nobody was helping them.

For what? I'd be willing to bet she was dead before the mp report was ever filed or called in, so tracking her phone would've probably led them on a wild goose chase because there's no telling where her phone really was or who took it to that place.
If you wanna blame someone for her death, blame the actual killer.

if you go to The Virginia Pilot facebook page, according to a comment there, someone who's daughter who was the best friend of katie, said that calls were made to the police department the very next day and that nobody was helping them.

Do you have a link or proof the calls actually happened? Otherwise it's hearsay. Jmo

I would also make sure whoever killed her was prosecuted as well as getting custody of the grands.

LE did drop the ball. But he made sure help was delayed as well via family and friends. Do you know how many people would have been searching if he told them that their loved one was possibly abducted from the laundromat at 1am.

For what? I'd be willing to bet she was dead before the mp report was ever filed or called in, so tracking her phone would've probably led them on a wild goose chase because there's no telling where her phone really was or who took it to that place.
If you wanna blame someone for her death, blame the actual killer.

Technically, they could sue because they got a missing person's report on the 28th and they did not actually start investigating until 11 days later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ManneyMalo
Back