VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Kelly has a felony kidnapping charge? And possibly owns a gun ? Met a girlfriend in jail? and there is some mention by CIV if his family knows about jeff and Kelly?

I decided to go look at topix. I just want to say wow.

There seems to be more of a complex way of life for Kelly then I thought ,same job for years owned her own home went to work everyday.
I had noticed there was an delay and evasive responce to the thread by people who know Kelly when asked direct questions. It really was like they didnt want to say to much I am positive they did not think Kelly would be a missing person this long.
Now it seems stuff is spilling out which is a good thing in the search for Kelly as it will lead to the truth whatever that is.
If any of the topix stuff is true it should be sleuthed , there should not be any secrets in the search for kelly that could hinder kelly being found.
Was kelly having an affair? Who did she keep in contact with from jail? Did Kelly use drugs? We do not need kelly to be a perfect person for any of us to want to help her be found.
She just needs to be found.

I am a friend of Kelly's here in the Chesterfield area, and have played ball with her for the past 2 seasons. If anyone on here needs me to go take pictures, or needs me to fill you in with any questions that you might have about the area....I will be more than happy to help.
I have been following the posts since the beginning, and instead of just sitting back reading the latest thoughts and theories I thought I would start giving and input...we can't let this case go cold.

I've been following these Virginia missing women posts, and there are some similarities (see this post by aecarr10):

They were all single, with the exception of Brenda Eaves. Hers is the case I feel is most likely to be a suicide by drowning, but I still think that would be a REALLY unusual coincidence given everything else. Her case is similar in a lot of ways, though- she disappeared suddenly, her car was found near water with its contents undisturbed. The differences between her case and the others are that she was married and her body has been recovered.

Dr. Salotto is a single woman, age 47, no children (that I am aware of, but I'm pretty sure). I don't know her sexual orientation, but since Kelly is gay and Jill straight, I'm not sure it would matter anyway.

Dr. Salotto taught a class that ended at 2:30 on Thursday, February 11th. She then apparently went to her home in Lynchburg, changed into more casual attire (sweatpants, I believe) and was last seen walking on 7th street near the James River. Why would she bother to change her clothes to something more comfortable if she was just going to walk a few blocks and kill herself?

As I indicated in my email to Col. Snead, Dr. Salotto is clearly a responsible person- she has a PhD and is the head of a department at a college. Yet she made no arrangements for putting her life in order, acts would be typical for someone planning suicide. She made no arrangements for her classes. She had that friend coming to visit who she was supposed to pick up at the airport on Friday. Many who know Dr. Salotto seem to doubt she was/is a suicide risk.

The common factors I see are that they are all female, middle aged, single (with the exception of Brenda Eades, but as I said before, her case is the least like the others), no children, and disappeared near water without any trace of a struggle. Additionally, there is no evidence that any personal belongings of were taken in any of these cases.

To sum up what I know...

Letisha Faust, age 50
-Last seen in Franklin Co, VA
-Last seen in a pharmacy on December 9, called her mother to say she was on her way home with dinner. I would like to know if she called her mother when she was on her way home (i.e. driving), or on the way out to her car (i.e. while walking)
-Car recovered December 31 in a remote area near a pond, all belongings present. No sign of a struggle, but the car was ~15 minutes off the path she "should" have been traveling. Shoe was found some distance from the car.
-Since news reports do not mention any husband or children, I think we can assume that Ms. Faust is either single or divorced, and does not have children.
-No reason to suspect suicide other than the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.
-No body recovered despite extensive searches

Brenda Eades (this was misspelled earlier, sorry), age 57
-Last seen in Pittsylvania County
-Last seen December 15, driving near a marina/Leesville Lake
-Car was recovered on December 17th near Leesville Lake, all belongings present. No sign of a struggle.
-Married, no children, suffered from chronic pain. Was a paralegal.
-Body recovered on December 28th
Kelly Catalano, age 40
-Last seen near Chesterfield
-Last seen January 15th outside her place of work running toward a river
-No sign of a struggle.
-Single (lesbian), no children. Welder.
-No substantial reason to suspect suicide other than the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.
Joan Renee Cook, age 45
-Last seen near (?) Roanoke
-Vanished January 24th after leaving her home on foot
-Sent a text message at 5am on January 25th, although it hasn't been made available who it went to or what it said.
-Divorced single mother of a 7 year old girl
Jill Edmonds, age 40
-Last seen/car recovered near Richmond
-Last seen January 25 (actually, I can't figure out when she was ACTUALLY last seen- they found her car on the morning of Jan 25th, though)
-Car recovered January 25th, on a bridge over the James River.
-Single/divorced, no children. Bank teller.
-No substantial reason to suspect suicide other than the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.
Eleanor Salotto, age 47
-Last seen in Lynchburg
-Disappeared February 11 sometime after approximately 4pm. Last seen walking near the James River.
-No sign of a struggle.
-Single. College professor.
-Although police seem to have evidence to the contrary, I haven't seen/heard anything to suggest she is/was a suicide risk. Had future plans, didn't make "arrangements," etc.
-No body recovered despite extensive searches.
Does that all look/sound right?

Based on that info, I came up with the following map - linking them all via the James River. I think it's possible that there may be a serial killer... Thoughts?

attachment.php

I, too believe it was a crime of passion BUT regardless of vehicle make, etc., you can tint windows yourself or have them professionally done. At this point, we can't rule out anything and that may be what this individual is thinking. I do think she got in the vehicle willingly because she knew this person AND maybe she knew they were upset and didn't want a lot of yelling outside so that people would notice. Also, if she would get a bit upset about someone pulling the pictures of her and CinV off of her toolbox, maybe she had enough to where she started making her private life more private around work...IE: she didn't tell anyone she was going to meet someone in a parking lot, maybe she had them pull to where they couldn't be seen?

I think she had a pre-arranged meeting. What I am not sure of is this: if she works in the area where the door is with the small window, what are the chances that she could see a vehicle outside? I say this because that would prove that someone didn't just pull up unannounced. But then again, why didn't she tell the co-workers that she walks with "Hey I have made other plans, can't walk with you today." With that being said, she couldn't just take breaks in the middle of working on a project, so she had to be finished with the project first. Was it established that whatever project she was working on when she left, was finished?

I have definitely missed some posts somewhere...what happened with pictures and the toolbox?

Nerosleuth, I've been wondering the same thing...I went on mapquest and put in every location starting with the first disappearance and ending in Lynchburg and it's a continuous loop. Here's what I came up with:

From Petersburg (Michael) to Chester (Kelly) 12.37 miles Travel Time 17 minutes
From Chester (Kelly) to Roanoke (Joan) 160.93 miles Travel Time 3 hrs 1 min
From Roanoke (Joan) to Richmond (Jill) 187.08 miles Travel Time 3 hrs 7 mins
From Richmond (Jill) to Lynchburg (Eleanor) 115.58 miles Travel Time 2 hrs 13 mins

Is it random, are these people getting fed up with things and just up and leaving all their loved ones without even saying goodbye? Do we have a serial killer? This just seems too crazy for these people within hours of each other to just up and leave their lives behind without a trace. I am really concerned!!

This is what I had posted earlier when I checked Mapquest when the topic of serial killer came up. There didn't seem to be very many people who thought Virginia had a serial killer, but I thought it was interesting that it would take someone only 3 hours or less to get from city to city.

I have definitely missed some posts somewhere...what happened with pictures and the toolbox?

Hi, beachlvr0810 -

I think it was probably in the first thread that it was initially discussed, but it's also mentioned in posts #202 & #209 of this thread, if that helps.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - VA VA-Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield thread #2

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - VA VA-Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield thread #2

I've been following these Virginia missing women posts, and there are some similarities (see this post by aecarr10):

Based on that info, I came up with the following map - linking them all via the James River. I think it's possible that there may be a serial killer... Thoughts?

attachment.php

Nice map. I haven't followed anyone's case but Kelly's. Just a note: she went missing near the Appomattox river, FWIW.

So Kelly has a felony kidnapping charge? And possibly owns a gun ? Met a girlfriend in jail? and there is some mention by CIV if his family knows about jeff and Kelly?

I decided to go look at topix. I just want to say wow.

There seems to be more of a complex way of life for Kelly then I thought ,same job for years owned her own home went to work everyday.
I had noticed there was an delay and evasive responce to the thread by people who know Kelly when asked direct questions. It really was like they didnt want to say to much I am positive they did not think Kelly would be a missing person this long.
Now it seems stuff is spilling out which is a good thing in the search for Kelly as it will lead to the truth whatever that is.
If any of the topix stuff is true it should be sleuthed , there should not be any secrets in the search for kelly that could hinder kelly being found.
Was kelly having an affair? Who did she keep in contact with from jail? Did Kelly use drugs? We do not need kelly to be a perfect person for any of us to want to help her be found.
She just needs to be found.

BBM

That's the problem with the "stuff" from topix......if any of it is true...

attachment.php

Some of the things I read following the Morgan Harrington case indicated that they thought there might be a serial killer in the Route 29/I64 region. Have you checked into that, to see if any of these missing persons follow that pattern?

Edited to add: I mean whoever killed the lesbian couple in the Shenendoah Nat'l Park, not the Colonial Parkway killer.

IMO, it's possible that there very well could be a serial killer. You do not have to know a person to stalk them. If she was always being watched, then the person/persons could have takin her at the 1st opportunity they had. Maybe Kelly just needed fresh air, and was forced in a vehicle. It is not the most plossible senario, but it is still plossible (along with all of the other senarios). I wonder why there is no "hype" about all of the missing people in VA? Maybe LE is on to something, and doesn't want to frighten the general public. Hopefully we will know what's going on sooner, rather than later.

My thoghts and prayers are with Kelly and her family.

BBM

That's the problem with the "stuff" from topix......if any of it is true...

I agree, but the family(I'm assuming because they use the same names and Kelly's niece posted here about it) was posting on that board and to my knowledge no one disputed any of this. I find it strange that only a few of Kelly's friends and coworkers have talked to the family. At one time the local media reported that the family and coworkers would not talk to them. Why all the secrecy? Did LE ask them not to speak to the media? Were they concerned that Kelly's "story" would not be received well? The important thing is to keep Kelly's picture out there and find her. I hope the family dose not take this as criticism, there may be a very good reason to keep things private.

IMO, it's possible that there very well could be a serial killer. You do not have to know a person to stalk them. If she was always being watched, then the person/persons could have takin her at the 1st opportunity they had. Maybe Kelly just needed fresh air, and was forced in a vehicle. It is not the most plossible senario, but it is still plossible (along with all of the other senarios). I wonder why there is no "hype" about all of the missing people in VA? Maybe LE is on to something, and doesn't want to frighten the general public. Hopefully we will know what's going on sooner, rather than later.

Considering that there weren't any signs of a struggle in the recent disappearances of women in Virginia, you have to wonder if the person stalking them is using a stun gun or a taser on their victims. :(

Considering that there weren't any signs of a struggle in the recent disappearances of women in Virginia, you have to wonder if the person stalking them is using a stun gun or a taser on their victims. :(

Impersonating LE, maybe?

I dont know why there isnt Hype for the missing people in VA. When people are reported missing where I live the paper doesnt even put there picture in the 3 line statement about them being missing and asking if you seen them to call. How would I know if I had seen them if I do not know what they look like?

Warning: This is a rather graphic outline of what happens with drowning - however it may have occurred.

This is meant to offend no one - just posted as a tool to help understand what happens with drowning.

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/forensicmedicine/notes/water.pdf
(more at link)

This is a rather graphic outline of what happens with drowning - however it may have occurred.

Sinking, putrefaction and refloating

A body in water will usually sink but because the specific gravity of a body is
very close to that of water then small variations e.g. air trapped in clothing have a
considerable effect on buoyancy. Having sunk to the bottom the body will remain
there until putrefactive gas formation decreases the specific gravity of the body
and creates sufficient buoyancy to allow it to rise to the surface and float. Heavy
clothing and weights attached to the body may delay but will not usually prevent
the body rising. Putrefaction proceeds at a slower rate in water than in air, in sea
water than in fresh water and in running water than in stagnant water. The
principal determinant is the temperature of the water so that in deep very cold
water e.g. the North American Great Lakes or the ocean the body may never
resurface.

For the Thames, Simpson offers the following guidelines for resurfacing times:
June to August: 2 days; April, May, September and October: 3-5 days;
November, December: 10-14 days; January, February; possibly no resurfacing.
At water temperatures persistently below 45°F there may be no appreciable
decomposition after several weeks.

Interesting article MB, more details to consider. I think it is odd that all these women are going missing by rivers, why would that be? Could someone be using a boat? to stalk women?

I have a couple of questions related to MB's fabulous article on drowning. What if a body went into the water predeceased? That body would still have air in the lungs. Would that body likely float for a short period of time until the remaining air was expelled from the lungs and replaced by water?

I have a couple of questions related to MB's fabulous article on drowning. What if a body went into the water predeceased? That body would still have air in the lungs. Would that body likely float for a short period of time until the remaining air was expelled from the lungs and replaced by water?

Or if the body had a hole in the lungs and stomach allowing air and gases to escape? I wondered the same stuff shutterfly.

I don't know the answer to these questions...but I would think that once the person stops breathing and other functions cease as well that eventually the body would fill up with water through the mouth and nose and the body would eventually sink - especially if weighted.

One segment of this article spoke about rocks in pockets for weights and tying shoes together - but that was more related to someone committing suicide.

Gut instinct tells me that Kelly isn't in water. I believe some article of clothing would have been found by now.

Maybe from the employee's perception of Kelly running toward the river it was just assumed this was where she went. Maybe she did...maybe she didn't. But we do know she went somewhere.

Doubtful that she went into the water of her own accord.

Doubtful anyone would have taken the chance of being out in the open in broad daylight and forcing Kelly into the water. Anyone at any minute could have come out of BPA - or one of the duck hunters in the area could have stumbled across someone doing this.

If I remember correctly several duck hunters were interviewed and said they saw nothing.

I personally believe that Kelly isn't even close to BPA - JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member