VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am Kelly's sister. I believe she would never have taken her own life. I believe she met someone outside, for what reason I don't know and something went wrong.

Hi Judy, we are so glad to have you here. Would it be possible for you to maybe answer some questions some of us have had? I realize you may not be able to answer all questions - and wouldn't want you to respond to any that might cause problems for the investigation. But there has been one question asked several times regarding Kelly's lunch.

Did she pack a lunch that day or did she even eat lunch? Or do some of the employees go off-site for lunch or is there maybe someone who leaves to pick up lunch for several co-workers.

Besides having known Kelly's car was filled up with gas the night before, were there any other receipts found that may suggest other stops she had made the day before, or possibly the morning before she arrived at work?

I'm with you. Although I've never met Kelly, from everything I've read I do not believe there is anyway Kelly would take her own life - and I believe that the biggest majority of the posters here on WS believe that same exact thing.

Just thought of something... If this has been brought up before and I've missed it, I apologize!

What deliveries (if any) were made to BPA from around the time of 9:30 to 10:30? If there were any deliveries has LE checked with these delivery/courier companies to see if their driver(s) saw anything?

Hi, I can't answer these questions because I don't know the answers. Not sure if she had her lunch or if they ordered out. Don't know if any other receipts was found. I do know she went to yoga the night before. I am from Pennsylvania so I don't know a lot about who she hung out with or any other little personal things.

Does anyone know if there has been a timeline put together of the hours before and leading up to Kelly's disappearance?

Hi Judy, and welcome. I'm sorry your sister is missing and I pray that we find her soon.

LE has her cell phone records, right? Can't they tell if she was called or texted right before she left the building?

LE has her cell phone records, right? Can't they tell if she was called or texted right before she left the building?

I'm sure they know one way or the other, yes. I bet it's the first thing they looked into outside of witnesses on-scene.

I wonder what that tells us about their assumption that she committed suicide (which I don't think I believe. They would have found her by now! You can't hide yourself after... well, you know...)

Those of you who have been to BluePrint Automation to look around -- would the direction Kelly was heading when she hurried toward the river take her near the cul de sac where cars can't be seen from the building?

I'm wondering if she could have previously arranged to meet someone there?

Those of you who have been to BluePrint Automation to look around -- would the direction Kelly was heading when she hurried toward the river take her near the cul de sac where cars can't be seen from the building?

I'm wondering if she could have previously arranged to meet someone there?

Cars can be seen from the building at the cul de sac. Here's a photo from the cul de sac, sitting directly in front of the BPA sign. Below you'll see another shot of the sign (pic 4). Truck was in the same spot in both pics.
DSCN0397.jpg

It looks to me, from the map, as if the accepted "path" to the river from BPA, would have been where I've highlighted the map below. If you manipulate the map there appears, in fact, to be a pathway leading to the river. I couldn't see it first hand when I was there because as you can see, there's snow everywhere, covering the ground.

Catalano7.jpg

Here's the same spot without the highlight so you can see it for yourself.

Catalano6.jpg

Here's me sitting in front of the BPA sign, which means that pathway is 'hidden' from your view by the sign itself. Based on map anomolies, I'd say that pathway is just about directly behind where the flags appear on the BPA sign.

DSCN0407.jpg

The hill that could potentially block the view of a mid-sized automobile is at the leading edge of the parking area across the cul de sac from BPA....

Here....

The line below represents what I ASSUME is Kelly's presumed direction of 'flight.' My truck is sitting at the location of the red, solid rectangle. The open rectangle represents the area where a vehicle would be blocked from view as my own truck barely cleared it and allow me to photograph the building, overtop of the truck, when parked in that end spot in the parking area adjacent to the cul de sac...

CatSave.jpg

Here's my Ford Escape in that end spot, as depicted in the open rectangle above....notice all you see of the stop sign on the other side of that hill? That's one heck of a mound they left right there.

DSCN0399.jpg

Here's a stray I found that I didn't realize I had. Both vehicles are in the cul de sac
DSCN0411-1.jpg

Shutterfly, I am always amazed at what you can do!! These are absolutely great. Feels like I'm there in person. The one thing I'm curious about, as I asked previously, is if the GPS was checked to see if her phone could be located right when she disappeared. Maybe I've seen too many CSI episodes but if her phone was still on awhile after she disappeared it would be worth a shot. I don't know Kelly but from what I've been following and reading and feeling in my heart, I just don't think she has committed suicide and I still don't understand why LE jumped to that conclusion so quickly. It seemed the investigation was just getting started and then they jumped to that!

Awesome awesome job Shutter!!! Thank you so much! Big Kudos to you...I'm one of those people that needs good visual aids!

Seeing your vehicle and the van...makes me kind of wonder if there wasn't some kind of "blitz" style of attack (like has been described somewhat in the Morgan Harrington case)...where maybe there was the possibility of 2 vehicles or 1 big vehicle.

Maybe one that could have been mistaken for a delivery van. Something that wouldn't have necessarily looked out of place and could have blocked that view even further.

This looks like a place (the cul-de-sac) that a lot of drivers would turn around in or pull over at to check thru paperwork, or check future deliveries, maybe eat lunch or just take a break.

Would also think it possible that maybe people who might be walking trails at the river would park here...

Which leads me to believe it wouldn't be unusual for the employees at BPA if a vehicle of some kind was just sitting there.

JMO
Rambling again...

I have saw the building was searched the day she went missing but nothing after.

I would like to think if she was in the building someone one have found her by now ,

if someone was tying to hide a body in the building (which I asume is filled with tool boxes and welding tools) air tight is a good option.

Not that I believe it to be true ,but this is just as the possible as any other explaination.

I recall a case two or three decades ago from Dayton,Ohio. A woman went missing and her husband became a suspect. At some point in time, Dayton LE recieved an anonymous tip that construction had been going inside the building at the husband's place of employment. Dayton LE went to the husband's workplace, busted up the concrete floor and found her body underneath the concrete floor.

I'm not saying that this is the case, but you have to wonder if any kind of construction that involves concrete work took place inside the building after Kelly disappeared?

And also who would have access to the building after hours.

I found another 'stray' photo, a better one showing the mound blocking the view from BPA to the parking lot across the cul de sac....

DSCN0400.jpg

Now a closer one to the intersection. Note that there is also a mound here blocking the view of the road from BPA on the left..... The cul de sac opens to the right of this, the adjacent parking lot entrance. The road leading away from BPA is on the left.
DSCN0396.jpg

Looks like to me, if a car came down the road from your left, turned into the adjacent parking lot, parked behind the mound at it's leading edge, and then left by way of the same route, it would most likely go unseen totally unless someone were watching the front door and caught a glimpse of it in the center of the area in the last photo.

Kinda like this....

The red line represents the path one would take if they planned to park alongside the mound. The yellow lines represent the approximate width of the line of sight from the building to this area of the parking lot due to the mounds. How much time would you see this car if it were travelling at 35 mph? Translation, not very long. You'd have to be watching for it, or you'd miss it completely coming AND going.

Cat2938.jpg

Awesome work Shutterfly!!!

So if Kelly did run toward the river, are you thinking someone met her down there, then lured her to the area behind the mound into a vehicle?
I ask because the path to the river is before the mound.
Just trying to come up with possibilities.
Also, if memory serves, is there a building that uses the parking area behind the mound? I thought I remembered a building to the right of BPA if you are facing the river. If there is a building there, I wonder if anyone that works there might remember a vehicle parked in that area that day.

Kelly might have told co-workers she was going for a run by the river but really went behind that mound to meet the person who had called her or texted her.I am sure she planned to return to work but maybe had got into the car to talk and the person just took off.

Awesome work Shutterfly!!!

So if Kelly did run toward the river, are you thinking someone met her down there, then lured her to the area behind the mound into a vehicle?
I ask because the path to the river is before the mound.
Just trying to come up with possibilities.
Also, if memory serves, is there a building that uses the parking area behind the mound? I thought I remembered a building to the right of BPA if you are facing the river. If there is a building there, I wonder if anyone that works there might remember a vehicle parked in that area that day.

I don't think she was ever headed 'to' the river. I believe she had prearranged to meet someone around 10am, looked at the clock and realized she was late getting out there, or got distracted and lost track of the time, and bolted out the front door of BPA to meet them. For whatever reason, I get the impression that this meeting was important to her. Maybe she expected to get a break around 10 am for this meeting, and that didn't pan out properly? I think maybe those who saw her headed in that general direction may assume that she was headed to the river because using that entrance may be part of her routine if she was headed to the river.
Having whoever she could have been meeting lay low behind one of the mounds would make sense. First, from the standpoint that conducting personal business during on the clock time would be frowned upon. If no one saw her visitor, she could simply say she needed air or to "walk off" whatever was bothering her that caused her the need to go outside during non-break time. It could be that she didn't want anyone to know who she was meeting because she didn't want to get ribbed about seeing, perhaps, an ex, or a new special friend that she didn't want recognized; there could be a myriad of reasons why she would want to hide this person's identity. You also wouldn't have this person meet you in the employee lot if you wanted to hide their identity. What if a fellow employee or you boss came out to their car? Then you're potentially busted anyway. I just think the adjacent lot makes sense, just as a prearranged meeting does; there were no calls or texts that we're aware of, so it seems to fit. They say that most often it comes down to a case of the obvious, so in this case, I would venture a guess and say that she was running...because she was in a hurry.
I don't believe she jumped into, fell into or was pushed into that river. I don't believe that she was accidently or purposely shot by a hunter or picked up by a random RSO trolling for a victim. Nor do I believe that she ran off, commited suicide, and dug a hole and buried herself. Almost as unlikely are the chances that some random serial killer happened upon her at the exact moment that she exited the building in what is essentially a bad location to assume you can kill someone and go undetected. It's a cul de sac in a business complex! I believe Kelly had a better chance of being abducted by a UFO in this spot than for her to just vanish into thin air like she has. I don't think they've found her because I believe wholeheatedly that she is NOT there. I think that when the truth finally does come out, if ever, it's going to be a big, ugly case of a 'crime of passion.'
I think she got into the car of her own free will, which is why there was no screaming, a struggle witnessed or signs of such if any of it existed at all. If it took place in the vehicle, all of that was well contained. Now add some tint to the windows, and the more expensive the automobile, the more attention paid to soundproofing it from outside influences. The temperature at 10:20 am that day was 48 degrees. It was cold, she didn't have a coat on that we're aware of, and she may have also wanted privacy....and something went horribly wrong. I've read and heard all that the rest of you have read and heard, and to me, this still seems like the simplest answer. Maybe Kelly was the aggressor, who knows! Maybe she and this person became involved in an altercation and the unknown party mortally wounded Kelly during the struggle, defending themselves, and then panicked? There's a new one I haven't seen yet.

Linens of the Week is the business across from BPA but they are quite a ways off from the parking lot mound. But yes, in plain sight of it. We were told early on that their bay doors are frequently open across the front of the building but naturally they weren't the day I was there. It was about 29 degees in direct sunlight and the wind was blowing 40+. If they had their doors open that day, the poor guys would be linen~cicles for sure. It was COLD!! They've installed a kind of portable speedbump at the back of this lot where it joins their own and I saw one of their delivery vans scoot through the parking area while I was there. I didn't dare tangle with that speedbump contraption. It reminded me of spike strips and even driving a 4x4 myself, it struck me that if I hit it just wrong, I may wind up atop a tree. It's that big. If it was designed as a deterrent, it worked.

Sorry for unloading on ya cc........... :blowkiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member