VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not for one minute buy the tide pushing her body upstream. Not saying it couldn't happen...but I can find no evidence anywhere on the Internet to back up this theory.

I agree - have an independent autopsy done. Down the road you don't want to be saying what if - if this coroner rules suicide and that's not what you feel happened.

It was just released that indeed it was Kelly that was found yesterday. Everyone please pray for her family!

so heartbreaking to here this. please pray for her and the family. and to the person responsible for this..........theres a nice warm seat for ya in hell. where you WILL burn for all eternity. after serving your life sentence here.

I think "tide" was a poor choice of words. Currents could possibly carry something upstream. Also, what if she walked upstream for awhile? Is that consistent with the maps?

We miss you Kelly.

so heartbreaking to here this. please pray for her and the family. and to the person responsible for this..........theres a nice warm seat for ya in hell. where you WILL burn for all eternity. after serving your life sentence here.

hey give me a call ,i just spoke to judy she wanted me to tell you somthing

According to a Press Release from LE, there were no direct signs of foul play but they are working on the autopsy.

I don't know if any of you can answer this for me, but if someone was pushed into a river without even knowing someone was behind them to push them (so they were relaxed when they were pushed), and they were swept away by strong currents and eventually drowned, would there be marks left on the body from the push? Is that even possible?

Okay, you can potentially forget everything I said about the current in this body of water and how Kelly could have traveled to the location where her body was found. I just did a survey of sorts. It involved eight people I know, who all live on or have intimate knowledge of Swift Creek and/or the Appomattox River. None were prompted for a 'proper' response. They all answered the same; that both Swift Creek and the Appomattox run east. That fits this thing we are now hearing about her being found "upstream" but IMO that doesn't make it make more sense?!?!

One of those people is currently sitting in my living room. He grew up, literally, on a stretch of 'beach' there known as Battersea Beach to the locals. His brother drowned in the Appomattox River, at Battersea Beach, when he was twelve years old, about three miles from the area where Kelly vanished. He dove in, hit his head on a rock, and didn't resurface.

Two of these people both had boats, one docked in Hopewell at the Yacht Club and one at a small obscure boat harbor off of Puddledock Road. Both of these are on the Appomattox. One of those two with boats, my Daddy, who knows "all things water."

Four of those people currently live on Swift Creek in various locations between Colonial Heights and Chesterfield. One of them is my Mom, one an uncle, a grandparent and a cousin.

I can't really prove any of this because my chances of hooking and reeling any of these people in to participate on our forum is unlikely, but I do hope that even though I can't verify it, you guys know me, and you know I'd never bring it here if I didn't believe it to be the truth. But here goes......

My Dad is a licensed Captain. He's had a boat for many, many years. He knows all about sea water AND fresh water fishing. I had him look at the maps we've been using. He said that if someone told him that he is to believe "tidal flow" or anything remotely similar, took this young woman from point A to point B, he would assume the person trying to convince him of this thinks he is a total jack@ss.

So there ya go....... make of it what you will

<Graphic> from my understanding, if a person's body was in the water for a period of time, their skin begins to peel and any signs of foul play are not traceable. This seems to be the best way to murder someone without being caught. 99% of all people that commit suicide do it by drowning in a pool or bathtub. If they murdered, they are brought out to rivers, lakes, etc etc.
The chances of this person(s) being caught are going to be slim to none...I say this because there were no apparent signs of a struggle on the body.

Okay, you can potentially forget everything I said about the current in this body of water and how Kelly could have traveled to the location where her body was found. I just did a survey of sorts. It involved eight people I know, who all live on or have intimate knowledge of Swift Creek and/or the Appomattox River. None were prompted for a 'proper' response. They all answered the same; that both Swift Creek and the Appomattox run east. That fits this thing we are now hearing about her being found "upstream" but IMO that doesn't make it make more sense?!?!

One of those people is currently sitting in my living room. He grew up, literally, on a stretch of 'beach' there known as Battersea Beach to the locals. His brother drowned in the Appomattox River, at Battersea Beach, when he was twelve years old, about three miles from the area where Kelly vanished. He dove in, hit his head on a rock, and didn't resurface.

Two of these people both had boats, one docked in Hopewell at the Yacht Club and one at a small obscure boat harbor off of Puddledock Road. Both of these are on the Appomattox. One of those two with boats, my Daddy, who knows "all things water."

Four of those people currently live on Swift Creek in various locations between Colonial Heights and Chesterfield. One of them is my Mom, one an uncle, a grandparent and a cousin.

I can't really prove any of this because my chances of hooking and reeling any of these people in to participate on our forum is unlikely, but I do hope that even though I can't verify it, you guys know me, and you know I'd never bring it here if I didn't believe it to be the truth. But here goes......

My Dad is a licensed Captain. He's had a boat for many, many years. He knows all about sea water AND fresh water fishing. I had him look at the maps we've been using. He said that if someone told him that he is to believe "tidal flow" or anything remotely similar, took this young woman from point A to point B, he would assume the person trying to convince him of this thinks he is a total jack@ss.

Kelly's family/friends, please forgive me if I write bluntly...

Thanks Shutterfly for the research. So....you are saying that
1. it is nearly impossible that her body could have traveled upstream
2. that it is very unlikely that she would have walked in that direction? I ask because without anyone looking for her for a couple of hours that day, it seems she could have walked along the river pretty far...west or whichever direction put her upstream.

I hope that they can determine how long she was submerged and how long she has been deceased fairly accurately.

Although knowing that she is found provides closure...it's still so unbelievable. I don't have words right now.

Thank you Shutterfly's Dad. I don't think it makes an ounce of sense.

Kelly's family/friends, please forgive me if I write bluntly...

Thanks Shutterfly for the research. So....you are saying that
1. it is nearly impossible that her body could have traveled upstream
2. that it is very unlikely that she would have walked in that direction? I ask because without anyone looking for her for a couple of hours that day, it seems she could have walked along the river pretty far...west or whichever direction put her upstream.

I hope that they can determine how long she was submerged and how long she has been deceased fairly accurately.

Although knowing that she is found provides closure...it's still so unbelievable. I don't have words right now.

It's not impossible, naturally, it's just rather strange. My Dad said that if tidal 'rise' was sufficient to 'push' her a mile upstream, then the receeding tide should have been sufficient to 'pull' her back to the area where she went in and even further downstream, and perhaps even into the Appomattox. Give me a lil bit cc, let me conjure up some pics, get us some good angles, and let's see what we see....I'll BRB ASAP....just let me see if I can get all of this info in my head straight. I've still got my Dad barking in my ear about surge, the gravitational pull of the moon, and decomp. I just haaaaaaad to ask him. He's ten times worse than I am, ya get him started and he never stops....sheesh.......

Nor do I. Even if she accidentally was swept south to White Bank Park [hypothetical only; I think she was pushed], she had to pass though some rather narrow waterway passages (I don't know what else to call them, sorry) to get to her final destination. Then (and I apologize for the graphic nature of these remarks) had to wind up on top of the small island. There has to be SOME trauma, no matter what.

Chesterfield County police this afternoon said they are waiting on final autopsy results for determination of cause of death, but there were no obvious signs of trauma to Catalano's body.

What are they talking about? Pul-ease.

... I've still got my Dad barking in my ear about surge, the gravitational pull of the moon, and decomp. I just haaaaaaad to ask him. He's ten times worse than I am, ya get him started and he never stops....sheesh.......

You're making me laugh, Shutterfly. And do I ever need that! lol Thanks!

Chesterfield County police this afternoon said they are waiting on final autopsy results for determination of cause of death, but there were no obvious signs of trauma to Catalano's body.

Of course they'll say this. That way they save money by not having to investigate and they save face by convincing the public that there's not a killer on the loose.

Okay ..let's look at some pictures.
Folks, please allow me to introduce what I believe, based on descriptions, is the island that I just nominated Catalano Island. Let's look at it, how it's situated, and how on earth anything would have gotten to it that was traveling *ahem* UP the creek?!?

Descriptions say .50 mi from 'shore' and I assume that because Jonathan put in his boat at White Bank, that's the reference they're using with which to measure the distance. They said the island is about 20'x24'. What I read on the map is a little larger, about 30'x36' but needless to say, changes in water levels could make those measurements off slightly. Jonathan said it was difficult to navigate to and you couldn't see Kelly from the shore. It has also been reported that it is in the 'middle' of the creek. So here's the one I found that fits all of that. The exposed portion, above the water level in this pic, should in fact be about 20'x24'. Oh, sorry, DUH, it's the lil bitty one, almost center screen.

CatIsland9.jpg

Let me back off and show you where this is....that's 95 running parallel at the top of your screen.

CatalanoIsnland3.jpg

Here's that .50 but if you simply go straight on, instead of navigating your way to this island, there are no more small ones to consider and you're left at the tip of the larger island directly in the center of the creek.
CatIsland6.jpg

95 on the right, island (or rock really) on the left
Catisland10.jpg

See the pitiful red circle I drew on the map? That's our "rock."
CatalanoIsland1.jpg

Now let's look at something new I just discovered about that 95 overpass....Swift Creek runs under it in TWO places, not just one.
Here they are. I showed you the larger one in post 472 I believe, but there's a smaller area where it goes under 95 right here...it's flipped so north is south. See our rock? If not, follow the #1 back to the left, along the water.
CatIsland11.jpg

FWIW, there IS access available to this area other than by boat. There's a well worn pathway leading behind Linens of The Week that dumps out due north of the location found. There is access from Pine Forest Drive, behind the DOT building. There is a series of paths behind Dumlop Farms on Ellerslie Ave, and there is private, community access from Swift Bluff Drive in the Millside Subdivision, also off of Pine Forest Drive.

And what do you make of this? It's awfully close, don't you think, or am I just being the eternal skeptic? This structure is 700 feet away from our rock, if this is the right island...and it's isolated....odd.....

Catclose.jpg

That's all I got for now.....except that I found this (okay I lied, my Dad found it).......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appomattox_River

*snipped

The Appomattox River rises in the Piedmont of northeastern Appomattox County, approximately 10 miles (16 km) northeast of the town of Appomattox. It flows generally southeast through the Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest to Farmville. From Farmville it flows in a large arc northeast then southeast across the coastal plain, passing southwest of Richmond and passing through the Lake Chesdin reservoir. It flows through Petersburg, its head of navigation, through the Tri-cities area, then joins the James River from the west at City Point in Hopewell.

There ya go......east

If that location is indeed the correct location, there is absolutely no way her body could have floated there. I could see it floating straight on but turning to get to that island...hardly!

I had to get the perspective of where Blue Print is in relation to White Bank Park. Let me know if this link works. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...238,-77.372074&spn=0.038513,0.077162&t=h&z=14

"A" is BluePrint. White Bank Park is South just to the right of the 95 marker.

I'm certainly no Shutterfly :) so bear with me on this...

The river gets bigger in the direction that it flows, correct? So, even if Kelly walked to her left for awhile (left once she got to the river) then jumped in directly North of White Bank Park, look how much river she had to go upstream in! Someone let me know if this makes sense if you get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee