VA VA - Kelly Catalano, 40, Chesterfield, 15 Jan 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted someone to comment on that before I did... I am absolutely mortified with the CPD. I will guarantee you that if this had been one of their own or one of their family members that a different conclusion would have been made.

I would just like to know...just how can you drown yourself in shallow water? Where Kelly was found the water was approx 1.5 feet at the highest... Drown yourself and then crawl up onto an island... Yeah, that's makes sense.

I'm ready to make some noise on so many levels...

ETA: In 1.5 feet of water...that's not enough to float an adult and it's surely not enough water (tidal waters or not) to raise a body up onto an island... Of course, that JMHO

ITA!!!!!!!!
Why can't they see what we see?

Guess it comes down to the expenditure of $$$... At least that is what it appears. Kelly wasn't high profile...wasn't even a VA native...alternative lifestyle...etc., etc., etc.

Look at certain cases we've had here in VA. Morgan Harrington's case has been the one that has garnered the attention (not that it shouldn't have and this in no way meant to be a slam to MH).

Joan Renee Cook - has been gone for months. Mother of a 7 yr old child. Absolutely no progress has been made in her case and it doesn't appear that anything is being done at all. Very little press.

Eleanor Elizabeth Salotto - some press, but only because she was a college professor. Seems, IMO, her case did not receive the attention that was needed and I'm pretty sure her "drowning" was deemed a suicide - despite the fact that she was to pick up someone from the airport on that day who was coming to visit her...

Seems Jill Edmond's death had been dubbed in the same manner...suicide by drowning. Very little press...

Seems only if you have certain status in the world and you go missing, that's what gets you noticed...

Ok, what the he$$? Below is from the news link MBlover posted above?!
Has the family received notice from LE that the ME ruled on COD? Are you telling me a reporter received this info before the family did? :furious:

Niece is this true? Has family been notified? If so can you give me a time of notification (want a chart).

MBLover: I just read the same thing in the article and am in shock,

"...Police believe Catalano took her own life. The state medical examiner’s office has ruled Catalano’s cause of death as suicide by drowning. Chesterfield police have closed the case..."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I knew the possibility was there of the ME report saying "suicide." I figured it very possible they would use that as a cop out. BUT to say, "Suicide by Drowning." YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT??? I'm just sick over this.

"Drowning is among the least common methods of suicide, typically accounting for less than 2% of all reported suicides in the United States."

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_methods )

Family: I am SO deeply sorry for thIis report & article. What I want to say about LE I can't because my post would get deleted for sure.
Family: You have ALL of our support here, whatever you need, WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP???

I have had contact with Jill's family and a friend of Elizabeth and they don't believe that is what happened to them either.

And how many of those 2% of suicides were in shallow, slow-moving rivers by good swimmers? I bet all most all those suicides jumped from bridges or went into the ocean.

I can't believe a few conversations about mortality are enough for a post-mortem diagnosis of suicidal depression. A lot of us must be in trouble, in that case.

I hope a way can be found for this to continue to be investigated.

Some information has landed in my lap that needs to be brought to light. I cannot and will not divulge my source, but I can say I feel more than 100% certain this source can be trusted.

One of the people who was there when Kelly's body was found has stated that Kelly's body did not appear to have been in the water for the length of time she was missing.

(Remember Patterson's comment (he's LE), that Kelly's clothing was intact when she was found. 2 months in water, with rocks, debris, fish, wildlife, and Kelly's clothing is in tact...ummmm ok. http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/BODY13_20100312-223005/330122/
"He added that the body was clad in the same clothes Catalano was wearing when she disappeared Jan. 15 and that all her clothing was intact.")

I have also been made aware of certain issues surrounding Jill Edmond's corpse. Both of these women in the water approximately the same amount of time (supposedly). The upper portion of Jill's body was found, in the water, the lower portion was found on land, presumably, scattered by animals. Jill's body had far more decomp. than Kelly's. The decomp between the 2 did not add up, and it's been said that Kelly's body only appeared to be out in the elements for possibly 2 weeks or less.

Also, if you've noticed from the various news reports - Kelly's body was found 1 week to the day after the family went home. It is believed by some that Kelly's body was placed where it was found upon the family leaving - possibly leading the perp to believe that no further searches or no intense searches would be taking place.

A student at my school was kidnapped in 1983. Her body was found in a creek a month later. There was no decomposition; the investigators and medical examiner determined that her body had been held in some kind of refrigerated truck or freezer for that month. BTW, her murder has never been solved. She has a short thread on here....Shondra May, if you want to search it.

No No No No No! This is not acceptable. I knew in my heart they were going to say that. 3 women in VA dead and no foul play? I would like to know how thorough people were interrogated that were close to Kelly or were around her the night before. It's funny when a woman disappears their spouses are the first to be a person of interest. Why in this case are they not investigating people that she had problems with and is public knowledge that she had a bad breakup? Someone called her out and that's that in my opinion. I am leaning to toward the someone was going to start a scene and she ran out there as to not cause a scene.

Quoting myself...but kind of seems that this needs to come back to the forefront...

http://tribes.tribe.net/emergencyservices/thread/dc747856-f163-4158-97ef-590fbb11ae86

Many drownings are actually homicides — and first responders' observations and incident reports into them may be critical in initiating an investigation.

The initial determinations of the actual drowning incidents as accidents listed above are not uncommon. However, what we believe is uncommon is the discovery of their red flags and the ensuing investigations. How many other homicidal drowning cases are being missed? We believe far too many.

Responding EMS and fire personnel can make a critical difference in not only whether a law enforcement investigation is opened for a body-found-in-water incident, but also in whether a rightful conviction can be obtained — provided the right steps are taken.

Our experience with thousands of law enforcement, dive team, fire and medical personnel across the world has convinced us that a large percentage of homicidal drowning incidents are either not sufficiently investigated or are not investigated at all.

There are several reasons for this and "tragic accident" is too common a mindset, one that can cause tunnel vision. The red flags normally found on homicide victims or at the crime scenes on land are rarely present, and law enforcement and medical personnel are not trained to recognize the red flags specific to homicidal drowning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_disposal_of_bodies_in_the_water

Many criminals dispose of bodies in a river, hoping that the body is carried away. However, this method will most likely lead to a quick detection of the body, because the body gets entangled at the side of the river, or stopped at a dam, or is simply seen floating by others. A disposal in large lakes or oceans is more likely to hide the body, but a decomposing body can develop a strong positive buoyancy due to the decomposing gases being trapped underneath the skin. This may bring the body up to the surface, or at least increase the movement across the ocean floor due to wave actions. Many bodies have washed up at the shore. Bodies have also been discovered in the nets or lines of fishermen, and occasionally, bodies are also discovered by divers.

Very cold water with little oxygen may even preserve bodies, allowing for an easier identification, as for example Margaret Hogg, the Wasdale Lady in the Lake in Wast Water lake in the Wasdale area (see National Trust Properties in England). She was found after 8 years, with her body preserved like wax.

http://books.google.com/books?id=32...k_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CBYQ6AEwBTgK

(I hope that link works...there's an excerpt from a book...first few lines in the first paragraph of that page shown - Forensic Pathology Reviews, Volume 3 By Michael Tsokos page 58)

http://clintvanzandt.newsvine.com/_news/2009/03/22/2583683-the-smiley-face-killers

Some of the victims were allegedly held for an unknown period of time, possibly tortured, and then disposed of in a local body of water, thereby depriving investigators of valuable physical evidence of the crime.

I have to call into question the training of LE who investigated Kelly's case from the above information.

Just how many cases of drowning (homicide or accidental) has this LE team investigated? What training procedures have the gone through and how many hours of training have they received regarding situations such as this?

I have started to type words three times and erased them.
Judy have you called LE or ME's office? Is a copy of the ruling available? Can you also get a copy of the case investigation from LE?

Kelly's next of Kin is her Mom right?

As far as the Commonwealth is concered - it would be her Mom

Sorry another question for you. Has BPA contacted the family at all?

Yes, Our Mom is the next of Kin. Not Sure if Blueprint has contacted my Mom or not.

This is an easy way out for them, and for LE to tell a family member "oh we're busy we have another murder case" is pathetic. What are you going to do with the next case when you can't solve the first one? PLEASE! My cousin just visited me from Midlothian and knew nothing about this case. This is not the end of this. Please let us get to the bottom of this one. Thank you MBlover for that piece of info. Very enlightening and very believable. Anyone on the PD should not be able to sleep at night knowing that this is not the truth or the answer. I KNOW I COULDN'T! PATHETIC. I am so angry.

Family and Friends - Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I obtain a copy of medical examiner reports? All reports generated by the medical examiner (Medical Examiner’s Report, Autopsy Report, and Toxicology Report) are available to the legal next of kin upon written request. The request for reports should contain the decedent’s name and date of death and the name, address and signature of the legal next of kin requesting the report. Legal next of kin may receive copies of medical examiner reports. The request can be mailed to the district office of the medical examiner where the case was handled. Link to District Offices Once the case is final, the reports will be mailed to next of kin whose name and address appear on the request.

1. Are others entitled to a copy of the reports? In Virginia, the records of the medical examiner are deemed to be medical records and, as such, fall under statutory protection. Therefore, only the legal next of kin in the following priority may receive copies of reports: spouse, adult child, parent, adult sibling, any other relative of the deceased. In cases where criminal prosecution is anticipated, those involving unnatural death and certain other cases, copies of reports will be sent to law enforcement agencies and to the local commonwealth’s attorney. A written release from the legal next of kin is required for reports to be sent to other interested parties, such as insurance companies or private attorneys.
http://www.vdh.state.va.us/medExam/FriendsFamilyFAQ.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member