Found Deceased VA - Lance Buckley, 33, Stafford, 5 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope he has taken time to clear his head and return to his loving family.

"Did he join ISIS?" (BBM) What would make you suggest that? There has not been any hint of that anywhere. I apologize if I am mistaken and missed some MSM or other verifiable source. Curious why that would even come up.

It doesn't appear, with the information available to the public, that this was a particularly organized disappearance. Slugging is really very common and normal. If that was a normal thing for him, I don't see why he would change that practice. He may have been carrying the handgun with him even before that day or he may have just grabbed it at the last minute, unsure of what he was going to do.

The case is a Stafford case b/c that is where he resided and was officially last seen. I am having a hard time seeing what is unusual about this case being a Stafford case? What, specifically, did you think was odd for a Stafford case?

I think DC is just as good as any other place if he wanted to get lost or, sadly, be of harm to himself. Rock Creek Park comes to mind. Some of the more down and dirty parts of the Potomac.
---

I fear that between the extreme stress of finalizing his PhD and the physical exhaustion of having a newborn in the home (he was likely operating on very little sleep) that he may have had some sort of mental break. I hope that it would resolve in something like he just needed to escape or he may even be in a state of stress induced amnesia or a fuge.

His families pleas seem to be directed at him, personally - asking him to come home. I think they probably know what the likely scenarios are. I hope that the publicity of the case will bring witnesses forward who saw him after the 10:16 text so they can get an idea of where he was headed and what his demeanor was.

It wasn't where he was last seen ,according to the articles ,he was dropped off near Howard, the 2 drivers were spoken with one , family member dropped him in Stafford, and a second driver (so the article indicates) , the ATM has images all of them do .Plus they know his phone pinged near campus. It hasn't been released if they have him on them the ATM cam . I just asked about isis because of the news reporting on Isis having people in VA and DC yesterday and the timing of this case.

The thing I thought was odd about Stafford LE is the fact they know where the phone pinged from so early and seem to be on top of things that don't get done that fast . Another example is the ATM info being released already. This is not normal for Stafford county. That is all I meant by odd. I mean most people return home in a day or so and Stafford normally waits and watches it all work out so this is different ,they jumped in with both feet. IMO . Like you said he had a lot of stress,new baby, school. Seems like it a guy who might need a day or two,but Stafford LE does seem to think so.Why?

The gun issue is concerning because he legally couldn't carry it to the place he was headed, we don't even know if he has a permit at all but they don't issue permits for guns on campus and his VA permit wouldn't allow for the concealment of a weapon in DC. Open carry wouldn't work for the campus. I know DC changed some gun laws but it still appears all the laws couldn't be being followed.

It wasn't where he was last seen ,according to the articles ,he was dropped off near Howard, the 2 drivers were spoken with one , family member dropped him in Stafford, and a second driver (so the article indicates) , the ATM has images all of them do .Plus they know his phone pinged near campus. It hasn't been released if they have him on them the ATM cam . I just asked about isis because of the news reporting on Isis having people in VA and DC yesterday and the timing of this case.

The thing I thought was odd about Stafford LE is the fact they know where the phone pinged from so early and seem to be on top of things that don't get done that fast . Another example is the ATM info being released already. This is not normal for Stafford county. That is all I meant by odd. I mean most people return home in a day or so and Stafford normally waits and watches it all work out so this is different ,they jumped in with both feet. IMO . Like you said he had a lot of stress,new baby, school. Seems like it a guy who might need a day or two,but Stafford LE does seem to think so.Why?

The gun issue is concerning because he legally couldn't carry it to the place he was headed, we don't even know if he has a permit at all but they don't issue permits for guns on campus and his VA permit wouldn't allow for the concealment of a weapon in DC. Open carry wouldn't work for the campus. I know DC changed some gun laws but it still appears all the laws couldn't be being followed.

The missing persons report was filed by his wife and she was the last family member to see him. Yes, the driver who dropped him at Howard saw him, but at that point, that person becomes a witness to Stafford County's case. They live in Stafford County. It is not uncommon at all for the place where the person is missing *from* to be the lead LE.

But I do see what you mean about a lot of investigative information having been released fairly quickly. My impression of that was that they were working quickly in hopes of finding him distraught/depressed/unwell but alive.

You are right that he wouldn't have likely been carrying legally but I don't think that would stop a person if they intended to harm themselves.

I went back and re-read some MSM's. I see that his ATM card was used at 0830 - but his wife could have supplied that info from a joint account. I don't see anything about his cell pinging near the school. Can you help me out with a link on that?

I think an LEA that has reason to suspect a missing adult may be endangered/at risk of self harm would spring in to action a little faster than they would if they had no reason to worry.

Jmo, no offense but "slugging" is not all that different from hitching, Imo. You wait in a designated spot for a ride from someone you don't know, from what I gather. But anyway...jmo.

Just in :Joe St. George ‏@JoeStGeorge 2m2 minutes ago
Update on #lancebuckley. His phone was electronically located in Montgomery, MD. He is still missing. I checked this would be 44 minutes away from Howard,straight shot up I-270

I don't know much about phone pinging,could this ping be from the day he went missing or is it current?

I am so so worried about Lance. What a beautiful family. Come home Lance!

Jmo, no offense but "slugging" is not all that different from hitching, Imo. You wait in a designated spot for a ride from someone you don't know, from what I gather. But anyway...jmo.

Yeah, except for a couple of things. There is usually a common destination, the slug usually isn't the only other person in the car, there is quite often another slug. Slugs of a feather stick together - so you can decline to ride or decline to provide a ride (yes, as in hitching but without causing offense). There is an accepted ettiquette to slugging. It's been successful for decades. And slugging is actually legal and encouraged. It is a widely accepted practice in DC and NoVA. It just doesn't have the dangerous connotations that hitchhiking has.

http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/upload/chohparkmap.pdf

this is a map of the trail. very long scenic trail which is actually a nice place to think. I think I went there once myself when I was younger and my brother was in boy scouts at the time. gorgeous place. hope he's just out there clearing his head and he comes back.

Thanks for the map. It looks like a very nice hiking area. I hope this is good news and he's found safe and is ok.

http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/upload/chohparkmap.pdf

this is a map of the trail. very long scenic trail which is actually a nice place to think. I think I went there once myself when I was younger and my brother was in boy scouts at the time. gorgeous place. hope he's just out there clearing his head and he comes back.

I sincerely hope that is what he has gone to do. Yes, there are some lovely stretches of the C & O. From Howard, he would have needed to take the Metro most likely to get over toward the trail (or a cab, bus, etc but most likely Metro) - whether he started in Georgetown or further up where his cell pinged. Hope they can pull Metro station footage or perhaps someone saw him making his way over. And while I have feared all along that the handgun was a sign of risk of harm to himself, perhaps he brought it for self defense if he thought he might need some walk-about time.

It would be nice to think he is on a hike,but he may or may not be with the cell phone.Why hasn't anyone seen him?

The one thing I keep going back to is the gun.Did he always carry it,with him or just that day? It is hard for me to believe he walked away from his beautiful family.I wonder if someone was after him and he knew it?JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back