Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL yes! I think I'd rather have the people from WS looking for me more than LE! If I were ever in a horrible situation, I would be thinking "Oh, I KNOW the WS team is going to be all over this!!" ;-)

Seriously, I have told DH this. If I went missing he is to get his fanny on WS (on my main computer that I keep logged in and have auto fill) and call out the calvary.

I just hope that they are taking this really seriously at those schools and in that area

Some creep is out there..and he may do it again....it seems that once these murderers cross that line they do repeat their horrible crimes , though this MIGHT be a one time event...hard to say

I "feel" the same opinion as Dr Harrington...sexual advances...to sexual assualt...rape...murder

I think that he killed Morgan to silence her...she would have been able to identify him

so very sad...and scary to think that "he" is out there

A couple of comments from this article caught my eye, and I'm curious what anyone's opinion may be:
Concerned In Ivy February 18th, 2010 | 9:35 pm
You want to know what’s sloppy…LE returning that bracelet to the Harringtons. That can be very damaging when and if this case goes to trial..defense will have a field day with that.
Why does this poster think it's such a terrible thing for Gil to have the bracelet? I'm not quite following their thought process.

The same poster said:
Concerned In Ivy February 18th, 2010 | 7:02 pm
... Secondly, In light of Dans statement that a killer is still among us, I feel it is of the upmost importance that LE comes forward to the comminity to confirm this as fact and stress precautions. They need to stop downplaying that a murder took place in our community and be honest with us. We are a strong community and won’t wilt under this fact. We are not babies. LE owes us a press conference. I, for one, am sick of the cryptic pressers. Come right out and tell us what you need and what we need to do. ...

To the editors…
Please lean on LE to give this community the press conference they need. We need reassurance of some sort…give us something, anything, please.
Moon
Other posters felt that this was silly and that LE was holding back talking so that the investigation wouldn't be tainted. I would think they could do both.

And lastly
Jeff D February 18th, 2010 | 9:19 pm
I am waiting to read a lengthy, official police report on what occurred at the JPJ arena. Is anyone investigating anything? It seems the police are simply hoping to get lucky with a witness to events nine miles away.

This investigation is not impressing me at all.

I think a lot of WSers feel the same way.

A couple of comments from this article caught my eye, and I'm curious what anyone's opinion may be:

Why does this poster think it's such a terrible thing for Gil to have the bracelet? I'm not quite following their thought process.
<snipped>

If it's true (as described in Gil's blog) that it was found on her remains, then it's evidence. I don't understand why they'd give that back to the family or why they wouldn't advise the Harringtons to remain silent about it being found. IMO, that puts Gil at risk.

Web traffic is one way to put a number on it and Google tracks such things. Morgan's name spiked just after she disappeared in October, and even more so when her body was found in January.

Since then Morgan Harrington traffic has dropped off to nearly a background levelhttp://www.nbc29.com/global/story.asp?s=12007259

This being too tight lipped is killing the interest in the case and that would be worrying LE and the Harrington's unless they already have a general idea of who it is and are just waiting for them to make a mistake.
In my opinion if LE really thought this was just a opportune attack..why have thay not issued LOUD warnings..stepped up security...I think they have a good idea who it is and that is why the Harrington's are warning other students that they know associate with this person, but can't directly say..who he is but are still trying to warn the students and people of Charlottesville...they believe it is someone from there..so hopefully the nightmare will soon be over of trying to find this person that showed no mercy to MH.

If it's true (as described in Gil's blog) that it was found on her remains, then it's evidence. I don't understand why they'd give that back to the family or why they wouldn't advise the Harringtons to remain silent about it being found. IMO, that puts Gil at risk.

Exactly! It is evidence and this item should not have been released to the family. When and if this comes to trial, the defense will question and imply that LE could have gotten rid of or released other evidence as well.

Not a good idea in my opinion. Any lawyers here that can weigh in? TIA

It's been verified by people who've been there the policy is posted at the arena and elsewhere. But regardless, they knew the rules once she called and told them she was stranded outside.

Huh?

How much time passed before they attempted to contact her? And btw, you wanted to know what they should have done and I told you. When she calls that she's stuck outside, tell her to stay put at the entrance and go to her. Simple. Dare I say... logical.

Nice strawman.

We know they didn't get off their butts and go to her. We know they left Charlottesville in her car.

If she was impaired, of course not. That's when they leave the arena, pissed as they may be, and take care that their friend isn't outside alone in the cold with no way into the arena or her car.

Well I'll bet ya one thing. Anyone who has heard of or follows this case will think twice before leaving a friend in such a situation.

I agree with Java. This discussion is pointless really. The more I think about it, the angrier I get and no one is changing anyone's mind so I'll just shut up on the subject of the friends for now.

The only thing that really bothers me about the whole thing is they left in her car without knowing where she was. The rest...well they are still kids and kids never think anything bad is going to happen to them.

Exactly! It is evidence and this item should not have been released to the family. When and if this comes to trial, the defense will question and imply that LE could have gotten rid of or released other evidence as well.

Not a good idea in my opinion. Any lawyers here that can weigh in? TIA

It was brought up somewhere else that the ME releases the body and personal effects to family after processing, so I guess that makes sense.

However...

That is a very clunky bracelet with lots of detail that could cause specific scars or injury to the killer, either as she fought him or even as he transported her body. Specific to the pattern of the bracelet I mean. That's another reason it bothers me they released it, thereby breaking the chain of custody. If it were to turn out the killer does have injuries (scars) that could have been caused by the bracelet, the defense can have that evidence tossed. Rightfully so, IMO.

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/n..._body_harringtons_reveal_in_city_visit/52489/

Experts have enough tissue from Morgan D. Harrington to conduct several tests, though those tests could take many months, the parents of the slain college student said Thursday.

They made the statement after coming to Charlottesville to speak with police about the search for their daughter’s killer, addressing a small gathering of media on the bridge where their daughter was last reported alive.

According to the parents, officials are performing toxicology and DNA tests.
“You have to reconstitute them to then do your chemical assays on,” Gil Harrington, Morgan’s mother, said.

This is a little more specific about the DNA remarks.

Sounds like if they are doing (or have done) reconstitution then there must have been skin left...maybe around the fingers/nails?

Sounds like if they are doing (or have done) reconstitution then there must have been skin left...maybe around the fingers/nails?

Some sort of tissue. But not entirely clear if they meant hers or the killer's.

"Richmond's medical examiner has ruled Morgan's death a homicide, and now, the Harringtons know more specifically how their daughter died. Asked if police had shared her cause of death, the Harringtons paused and looked at each other before replying. "That," said Dan, "you'd need to get from the police." State Police spokesperson Corinne Geller declined comment, citing toxicology tests results which have not been returned."

Hmm... I guess they do know the true cause of death.

ETA: http://www.noisecreep.com/2010/02/19/morgan-harringtons-parents-say-killer-will-be-found/

"Richmond's medical examiner has ruled Morgan's death a homicide, and now, the Harringtons know more specifically how their daughter died. Asked if police had shared her cause of death, the Harringtons paused and looked at each other before replying. "That," said Dan, "you'd need to get from the police." State Police spokesperson Corinne Geller declined comment, citing toxicology tests results which have not been returned."

Hmm... I guess they do know the true cause of death.

ETA: http://www.noisecreep.com/2010/02/19/morgan-harringtons-parents-say-killer-will-be-found/

IMO - I believe Morgan was shot. They must have had some sort of evidence, even upon viewing her bones for them to determine MOD. They ruled it a homicide without any of these tests results from her tissue.

IMO - I believe Morgan was shot. They must have had some sort of evidence, even upon viewing her bones for them to determine MOD. They ruled it a homicide without any of these tests results from her tissue.

Could have been blunt trauma leaving a skull or neck fracture, strangulation if they found the hyoid, or possibly even stab marks on the bones. Gunshot is possible, of course, but would have been noticed at night even in a rural setting.

This first line makes it sound that way! Maybe portions of her that were covered by clothing? I know nothing about the decomp process.

"From Morgan" doesn't necessarily mean it was her tissue; it could be that of the killer found on her remains. Then I may be reading too much into this...

"From Morgan" doesn't necessarily mean it was her tissue; it could be that of the killer found on her remains. Then I may be reading too much into this...

Very true. It was just the way it was phrased that made me think that it's hers. I think saying it was "from" Morgan" makes it sound like it was literally from her. I'm not quite sure how I'd expect them to phrase this if it was her killer's DNA, but it seems to me they should have phrased it differently if that were the case.

I'm probably reading too much into it also. I bet the author of this piece didn't even put that much thought into phrasing that sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024