Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could have been blunt trauma leaving a skull or neck fracture, strangulation if they found the hyoid, or possibly even stab marks on the bones. Gunshot is possible, of course, but would have been noticed at night even in a rural setting.

Yes all very true! It will be one of those four scenarios. Maybe it's just my hope that she was shot and was killed instantly without any more suffering :praying:

I live in an area that there is frequent hunting, and to be honest I don't pay much attention to gunshots. If this happened late at night. I would be surprised if it was something that would wake up the neighbors. I really hope we don't have to wait 6 months to find out the COD.

Very true. It was just the way it was phrased that made me think that it's hers. I think saying it was "from" Morgan" makes it sound like it was literally from her. I'm not quite sure how I'd expect them to phrase this if it was her killer's DNA, but it seems to me they should have phrased it differently if that were the case.

I'm probably reading too much into it also. I bet the author of this piece didn't even put that much thought into phrasing that sentence.

And I guess at this point they wouldn't know if it was Morgan's or the killer's until the results come back.

O/T - Don't these reporters know that we cling to their every word. They need to be thorough in their reporting. We dissect everything!:detective:

Yes all very true! It will be one of those four scenarios. Maybe it's just my hope that she was shot and was killed instantly without any more suffering :praying:

I live in an area that there is frequent hunting, and to be honest I don't pay much attention to gunshots. If this happened late at night. I would be surprised if it was something that would wake up the neighbors. I really hope we don't have to wait 6 months to find out the COD.

My father lives in a rural area and sound really carries (although less so on rainy/drizzly nights).

I suspect we won't be told COD until they have arrested and charged someone, if then.

Could have been blunt trauma leaving a skull or neck fracture, strangulation if they found the hyoid, or possibly even stab marks on the bones. Gunshot is possible, of course, but would have been noticed at night even in a rural setting.

Not if she was killed elsewhere and the location where the body was found is a secondary crime scene.

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog

In the newest poem from Morgan's mom, she speaks of famous murders:

"EVIL like killed Lennon, King, JFK"

All three of them were shot ~ possibly a hint at COD?

Excellent -- I didn't pick up on that. Maybe it was a subconscious hint. I doubt she wanted to "tell" us COD, but maybe they were the first on her mind because of COD.

It was also going through my mind that there seems to be a difference in the media and through LE between the bracelet and necklace. When she was first found, they noted that she was found with a bracelet. They didn't mention the necklace.

Then, I heard various stories about whether or not she had the necklace or not.

Then, her parents said this was robbery, because she was found with jewelry.

Then, they gave her bracelet to her mom.

It seems like the necklace has received special treatment.

I hope she wasn't killed WITH the necklace? It might still be at the scene and they might be hesitant to talk about it in that case. And they certainly wouldn't give it back if that were the case. Just speculating.

It doesn't seem weird to me at all that they gave Gil the bracelet. First of all, items no longer related to the investigation are released to the family all the time. In this case, the bracelet was not related to the investigation. Why is that so weird? They also gave her the remains. Remains are always released after investigation; they potentially contain a significant amount of evidence, and we never question that practice. The evidence from the remains was collected and then the remains were returned. If necessary, why can't this also hold true for the bracelet?

Secondly, I like that the bracelet was released, because to me that says that they have the DNA they need, they have enough valuable evidence in other items that we're not privy to (stains on clothing, items left at scene, etc.) that the bracelet doesn't matter.

IANAL, but I just don't see the issue here. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. :confused:

"Dan Harrington says it will take five or six months for dna results to come back to determine the exact cause of death."

http://wchv.com/The-Latest-from-the-WCHV-newsroom/4192892

What does DNA have to do with COD???:waitasec:

After reading Mr Harringtons statement (which is referenced below)
my first thought is that they are waiting for DNA to show there was a sexual assault and somehow this will be tied into the cause of death.

http://www.readthehook.com/blog/ind...-here-harringtons-warn-killer-hell-be-caught/
“He didn’t even want her jewelry,” he said, adding his belief that Morgan’s death was a sexual assault that “ended up in her murder.”

I do not understand what DNA results would have to do with cause of death, and I've been sitting here for awhile trying to figure it out. And I'm even a nurse! Can anyone help?
Also, just to put my :twocents:in, I believe that this tragedy occurred as a series of unfortunate incidents.
Initially, the girls were under the influence, so good judgment by all was not to be at that time. And they are still young folks - and think they are indestructible, as I did at that age. You never think anything could ever happen to you or your buddies.
Morgan left the arena for whatever reason, and could not re-enter. Probably walked around awhile, saw a few people, talked to some, knew a few, and called her friends back inside the concert to say she'd just get a ride.
Made that call at 8:48, then somehow, her cell phone battery was disconnected, and from then on she had no communication.
IMO she simply accepted a ride from someone who appeared OK to her, was nice, non-threatening or whatever.
Offered to take her somewhere like to get something to eat or to a party. After awhile, though, he made sexual advances to her, she blew him off, and that made him angry. He fights with her and she is killed either accidentally or out of anger on purpose. Probably raped before the murder.
I believe she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and accepted a ride from the wrong person, and unfortunately had no phone or way of escape.
IMO the behavior of the friends was not cool, but I think it would not have made any difference, because I think she was killed before the concert was even over. That's just IMOO.
Any help on the DNA thing I'd appreciate!:blushing:

http://www.noisecreep.com/2010/02/19/morgan-harringtons-parents-say-killer-will-be-found/

"Richmond's medical examiner has ruled Morgan's death a homicide, and now, the Harringtons know more specifically how their daughter died. Asked if police had shared her cause of death, the Harringtons paused and looked at each other before replying. "That," said Dan, "you'd need to get from the police."

(from above link)

If scientists can get DNA off dinosaurs from way back when, they can get DNA off Morgan's remains.
The COD will not be released. With good reason, if they release that, every nutcase in town and maybe the surrounding states would turn themself in to take claim for the crime. It's important the COD be kept under wraps, it's something only LE and the perp would know.

There was obvious trauma to her body, as the remains told.
Robbery wasn't motive, not even an afterthought. Most likely the perp(s) already come from money, IMO.

I believe Morgan was stalked by an obsessed individual, who fed off his own obsession with her, the end result being the rape and murder of Morgan Harrington.

Maybe the perp figured, he had raped her and would get in trouble, and then murdered her. It's a very personal murder, my guess is that he may be an acquaintance of Morgan or her friends. (Maybe that's why the Harringtons asked Morgan's friends not to talk).

Morgan is remembered as a fighter, and most likely put up a fight with her attacker. I would tend to think maybe something triggered him, however if an individual was that obsessed and delusional, possibly he planned this by reading her facebook status or posts about her going to the Metallica concert that night, i don't know.

I do believe the perp(s) will be caught. I give a lot of credit to the Harringtons, who will continue to fight until the killer(s) are behind bars. They are good parents, they have class, and are a good example for those who've had a child murdered.

To give up the fight would be to let the perp win, the Harringtons won't do that.

Well we have to disagree here, cause I really do NOT think this was an "obsessed" stalker who went to a crowded loud concert to try to get Morgan specifically

she was ONLY outside due to an unforeseen cluster of bad luck events and bad decisiions....there is NO way someone would drive there to "catch" her on the offchance she would end up outside the arena with a non working phone in an "altered state"....a stalker had plenty of chances where she lived (in apartment) and went to school

I do agree that the perp most likely raped Morgan and then killed her in a panic cause he knew he could be identified

I feel that it was someone who was out there with bad intentions, someone who has done bad things before, but NOT a serial killer

a SRO?? Maybe...if young and nice looking

or just a jerk...I feel it is a guy who has taken advantage of women before...maybe prostitutes, maybe date rapes of girls who are drunk....but has never been caught.

With Morgan he met a girl from a "good" and connected family...a girl whose dad is a professor....a girl who would not stand for this horrible treatment and she fought back...she may have even said "I will get you kicked out of school, arrested etc"...I don't feel Morgan was very "street smart" JMO

So he killed her....it was not about robbery..it was about power...and control and humilation and hate of a woman cause that is what rape is about

I don't know if she "knew" him but I think she knew enough about him to have him arrested...ie, "works at the bar....is in Prof xyz class....went to high school with her friend"....I think there is some connection

I don't feel it was a "personal" attack however....not an ex, not a stalker, etc

I think there is a very dangerous guy out there...a guy who has raped before..and may rape again..who has upped it to murder and may murder again

I really really hope the young women in that whole area are on high alert

The fact that Morgan went up to a 45-year old male outside the arena, and was reportedly "very aggressive" with him, and attempted to grab onto his arm and exclaimed "Let's Go!" leads me to believe that the perp need not necessarily be young or nice-looking.

I do not understand what DNA results would have to do with cause of death, and I've been sitting here for awhile trying to figure it out. And I'm even a nurse! Can anyone help?
Also, just to put my :twocents:in, I believe that this tragedy occurred as a series of unfortunate incidents.
Initially, the girls were under the influence, so good judgment by all was not to be at that time. And they are still young folks - and think they are indestructible, as I did at that age. You never think anything could ever happen to you or your buddies.
Morgan left the arena for whatever reason, and could not re-enter. Probably walked around awhile, saw a few people, talked to some, knew a few, and called her friends back inside the concert to say she'd just get a ride.
Made that call at 8:48, then somehow, her cell phone battery was disconnected, and from then on she had no communication.
IMO she simply accepted a ride from someone who appeared OK to her, was nice, non-threatening or whatever.
Offered to take her somewhere like to get something to eat or to a party. After awhile, though, he made sexual advances to her, she blew him off, and that made him angry. He fights with her and she is killed either accidentally or out of anger on purpose. Probably raped before the murder.
I believe she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and accepted a ride from the wrong person, and unfortunately had no phone or way of escape.
IMO the behavior of the friends was not cool, but I think it would not have made any difference, because I think she was killed before the concert was even over. That's just IMOO.
Any help on the DNA thing I'd appreciate!:blushing:

I think that's a case of the article not reporting all that was said. From my post on the previous page:

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/n..._body_harringtons_reveal_in_city_visit/52489/

Experts have enough tissue from Morgan D. Harrington to conduct several tests, though those tests could take many months, the parents of the slain college student said Thursday.

They made the statement after coming to Charlottesville to speak with police about the search for their daughter’s killer, addressing a small gathering of media on the bridge where their daughter was last reported alive.

According to the parents, officials are performing toxicology and DNA tests.
“You have to reconstitute them to then do your chemical assays on,” Gil Harrington, Morgan’s mother, said.

It's more than just DNA testing.

Well we have to disagree here, cause I really do NOT think this was an "obsessed" stalker who went to a crowded loud concert to try to get Morgan specifically

she was ONLY outside due to an unforeseen cluster of bad luck events and bad decisiions....there is NO way someone would drive there to "catch" her on the offchance she would end up outside the arena with a non working phone in an "altered state"....a stalker had plenty of chances where she lived (in apartment) and went to school

I do agree that the perp most likely raped Morgan and then killed her in a panic cause he knew he could be identified

I feel that it was someone who was out there with bad intentions, someone who has done bad things before, but NOT a serial killer

or just a jerk...I feel it is a guy who has taken advantage of women before...maybe prostitutes, maybe date rapes of girls who are drunk....but has never been caught.

With Morgan he met a girl from a "good" and connected family...a girl whose dad is a professor....a girl who would not stand for this horrible treatment and she fought back...she may have even said "I will get you kicked out of school, arrested etc"...I don't feel Morgan was very "street smart" JMO

So he killed her....it was not about robbery..it was about power...and control and humilation and hate of a woman cause that is what rape is about

I don't know if she "knew" him but I think she knew enough about him to have him arrested...ie, "works at the bar....is in Prof xyz class....went to high school with her friend"....I think there is some connection

I don't feel it was a "personal" attack however....not an ex, not a stalker, etc

I think there is a very dangerous guy out there...a guy who has raped before..and may rape again..who has upped it to murder and may murder again

I really really hope the young women in that whole area are on high alert

We can agree to disagree.
I don't think it was a serial killer, either, otherwise we'd here other reports in that area.
Not an ex either.
An acquaintance of some sort whether through her friends, or elsewhere.

The reason i say the attack is personal, is due to the fact that the killer had "hands on" with Morgan. As opposed to a drive by shooting, which would be impersonal.

I do believe that Morgan knew her killers, however vaguely, and that the killer certainly knew of her. I think she had come across her killer before, whether it be in class, or at a party. I would be surprised if the killer(s) chose her randomly, saw a random attractive Morgan and decided to attack her. This is all IMO.

If it is a stalker, he most likely wouldn't want to target her at school or in her own apartment. That's her turf, not his. She would have the upper hand. She also shared an apartment with her friend. School there would be others around.
In the area of the concert, either by chance, or knowledge, the perp(s) were there when she was, whether they saw her walking around, or were inside and followed her out.

A concert there is likely a huge event for the surrounding colleges, and it's likely many kids from colleges, high schools, and just plain fans from the surrounding area attended it.

So for her killer to have been at the concert is not that unlikely a conclusion.

I do agree with you that it's possible he's date raped girls before.

Perhaps she knew him somewhat and he offered her a ride to somewhere, and from the knowledge of knowing him through whoever or whatever she got in his car. Maybe he is the cocky egotistical type that when she rebuffed his advances he got offended as he had a crush on her.
Maybe he is the type that comes from wealth and power and is used to getting what he wants.
When Morgan denied him what he wanted, he took it.
Normally in a case, especially like Morgans, being that her parents are so on top of things and pushing to keep Morgan in the headlines, keep her remembered, LE would have caught the perp by now.

IMO, i believe LE knows who the perp(s) are. They are probably working to build a rock solid case against him, especially if he may come from wealth.
We see the $150,000 not touched as no one is coming forward. Most would out of moral obligation and want of money, especially that sum. That is why i'm sure our perp comes from wealth.
It's likely his family would hire one of the best defense lawyers in the country. LE needs to nail this guy, they can't have some attorney get him off on some technicality.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2010/01/28/state-police-officials-identify-remains-as-harrington’s/

I know that many on here do not like how some of this article is worded, and railed Kopacki about it.

"The likely absence of significant concrete evidence, however, may not prevent law enforcement officials from narrowing in on suspects and advancing the investigation. Kopacki said most criminal cases today like Harrington’s do not rely on physical evidence. “Most cases are circumstantial cases, which can be just as strong, but nowadays are hard to get through court,” he said.
If the autopsy indicates that there was any sexual contact between Harrington and her killer, the likelihood the two knew each other beforehand increases significantly, Kopacki said. Police officials have not yet released details regarding whether the killer made any such advances toward Harrington."

LE doesn't release everything to us within good reason. Why many got upset that Kopacki and maybe misread how this was stated, in Morgan's case, it remains true that Morgan and her killer knew each other prior to her murder.

IMO, we're not looking a known RSO or serial killer, there would be other reports if it was a serial perp. Why it's true the perp may have date raped girls before, yet it remains unreported.

Kopacki states about the trouble getting some circumstantial cases through court. In the case of a perp(s) coming from wealth and power, this would stand true. It reinforces my belief that the perp comes from wealth and power.

We also see the perp seeking "power" through what he did to Morgan. Is he used to getting everything he wants and if he doesn't he will just take it.

Lack of anyone close to him turning him in, they don't need $150,000, they already have money. They have stand by their murderer children instead of turning him in for the murder and rape of Morgan Harrington.

They can't hide their killer forever. They will come to find this out. The Harringtons and justice will prevail.

I just hope that they are taking this really seriously at those schools and in that area

Some creep is out there..and he may do it again....it seems that once these murderers cross that line they do repeat their horrible crimes , though this MIGHT be a one time event...hard to say

I "feel" the same opinion as Dr Harrington...sexual advances...to sexual assualt...rape...murder

I think that he killed Morgan to silence her...she would have been able to identify him

so very sad...and scary to think that "he" is out there

BBM

I agree with you completely that he murdered her since she could identify him.

I don't think she knew her killer at all. I've said this from the beginning, that it was a stranger rape/murder. A crime of opportunity, and Morgan was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It appears that is what Gil and Dan are saying as well, if you read between the lines of some of their comments.

We can agree to disagree.
I don't think it was a serial killer, either, otherwise we'd here other reports in that area.
Not an ex either.
An acquaintance of some sort whether through her friends, or elsewhere.

The reason i say the attack is personal, is due to the fact that the killer had "hands on" with Morgan. As opposed to a drive by shooting, which would be impersonal.

I do believe that Morgan knew her killers, however vaguely, and that the killer certainly knew of her. I think she had come across her killer before, whether it be in class, or at a party. I would be surprised if the killer(s) chose her randomly, saw a random attractive Morgan and decided to attack her. This is all IMO.

If it is a stalker, he most likely wouldn't want to target her at school or in her own apartment. That's her turf, not his. She would have the upper hand. She also shared an apartment with her friend. School there would be others around.
In the area of the concert, either by chance, or knowledge, the perp(s) were there when she was, whether they saw her walking around, or were inside and followed her out.

A concert there is likely a huge event for the surrounding colleges, and it's likely many kids from colleges, high schools, and just plain fans from the surrounding area attended it.

So for her killer to have been at the concert is not that unlikely a conclusion.

I do agree with you that it's possible he's date raped girls before.

Perhaps she knew him somewhat and he offered her a ride to somewhere, and from the knowledge of knowing him through whoever or whatever she got in his car. Maybe he is the cocky egotistical type that when she rebuffed his advances he got offended as he had a crush on her.
Maybe he is the type that comes from wealth and power and is used to getting what he wants.
When Morgan denied him what he wanted, he took it.
Normally in a case, especially like Morgans, being that her parents are so on top of things and pushing to keep Morgan in the headlines, keep her remembered, LE would have caught the perp by now.

IMO, i believe LE knows who the perp(s) are. They are probably working to build a rock solid case against him, especially if he may come from wealth.
We see the $150,000 not touched as no one is coming forward. Most would out of moral obligation and want of money, especially that sum. That is why i'm sure our perp comes from wealth.
It's likely his family would hire one of the best defense lawyers in the country. LE needs to nail this guy, they can't have some attorney get him off on some technicality.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/2010/01/28/state-police-officials-identify-remains-as-harrington’s/

I know that many on here do not like how some of this article is worded, and railed Kopacki about it.

"The likely absence of significant concrete evidence, however, may not prevent law enforcement officials from narrowing in on suspects and advancing the investigation. Kopacki said most criminal cases today like Harrington’s do not rely on physical evidence. “Most cases are circumstantial cases, which can be just as strong, but nowadays are hard to get through court,” he said.
If the autopsy indicates that there was any sexual contact between Harrington and her killer, the likelihood the two knew each other beforehand increases significantly, Kopacki said. Police officials have not yet released details regarding whether the killer made any such advances toward Harrington."

LE doesn't release everything to us within good reason. Why many got upset that Kopacki and maybe misread how this was stated, in Morgan's case, it remains true that Morgan and her killer knew each other prior to her murder.

IMO, we're not looking a known RSO or serial killer, there would be other reports if it was a serial perp. Why it's true the perp may have date raped girls before, yet it remains unreported.

Kopacki states about the trouble getting some circumstantial cases through court. In the case of a perp(s) coming from wealth and power, this would stand true. It reinforces my belief that the perp comes from wealth and power.

We also see the perp seeking "power" through what he did to Morgan. Is he used to getting everything he wants and if he doesn't he will just take it.

Lack of anyone close to him turning him in, they don't need $150,000, they already have money. They have stand by their murderer children instead of turning him in for the murder and rape of Morgan Harrington.

They can't hide their killer forever. They will come to find this out. The Harringtons and justice will prevail.
thanks meow it has been my thoughts all along that the perp was at the concert.it wasnt a matter of her just happening to be outside.i believe she was somehow forced outside.maybe the perp told a guard(oh this is my girlfriend shes drunk started a fight and im getting her out of here.sorry)security guard may have thought nothing about it.it might explain the shouting at the door and her grabbing the guys arm.once the perp got her out the door he probably dropped back to not be noticed then he waited he KNEW she would not be able to get back in.jmo

The fact that Morgan went up to a 45-year old male outside the arena, and was reportedly "very aggressive" with him, and attempted to grab onto his arm and exclaimed "Let's Go!" leads me to believe that the perp need not necessarily be young or nice-looking.

I have long thought she did this to avoide someone, I have donr this a few times when was being harassed by someone, I have walked over to another guy and said hey Im avoiding xyz, help me out act; like I know you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024