Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO I believe whatever happened it stems from whatever caused her to change high schools

Whatever caused the shift in her family dynamic and (possibly) the high school transfer, may not have been anything in Morgan's control. I know some have speculated about eating disorders, drugs, drinking, etc. And those are certainly possibilities.

But I'd also like to suggest that something traumatic could have happened to her that caused a transition in her whole outlook on life, such as (god forbid) a rape, or something else like that that drew her closer to her family than some girls her age might be.

Only pointing that out because, if that's the case, then it probably has no bearing on her disappearance. If she did have a history of substance abuse or other risky lifestyle choices, then it may have played a role. Unfortunately, we just don't know.

IMHO I believe whatever happened it stems from whatever caused her to change high schools

I agree.

Do we know that the letter from Morgan to her dad was referring to the end of the second semester of her first year at college?

To clarify my recent post: I was interpreting MBLover's use of the preposition "it" as referring to whatever happened between Morgan and her dad to prompt the letter she wrote to him...and NOT as referring to her disappearance.

Yeah, there are pervs and killers out there. But what are the odds that during the what - half hour at most? - that she was on the bridge with her thumb stuck out, that someone warped enough to not only assault her but to either lock her away or dispose of her was in that particular spot? And that they were brazen enough to take her from a readily visible location?

True, but isn't what you described generally what all stranger abductions are? The victim being in the wrong place at the wrong time, at the same time as a violent, sick human being. I agree that the chances of/opportunities for this kind of thing happening are slim, and that's why there aren't a ton of stranger abductions. Usually it's someone the victim knows. But they DO happen, and I'm beginning to think this is what happened to Morgan.

I wonder how many people knew Morgan was going to be at the concert that night. Would there be a reason that somebody would want to retailiate against or silence her? I understand that we can't know the answer to that; but it occurs to me that if she had BIG TROUBLE with somebody in the past... there could be a connection. If it was a not a stranger.

If she was raped or molested for instance.

So the purse is described as having its contents spilled about and also intact...can those coexist? Does intact just mean everything was there?

Spilled about could imply MH's having dropped it and left it behind before hitchhiking, or more likely, being quickly tossed from the car (driver's side window, across one lane of road) after picking up a hitchhiking MH.

If so, either had to be wearing gloves (plausible in 40 degree cold and light rain) or not worried about fingerprints, and would have had to overpower MH.

But that seems the most immediately obvious answer to me after all of this.

Why the battery wasn't there is still a question, but I guess I attribute that to it falling out when she dropped her purse (now apparently confirmed).

I took "intact" to mean that the purse itself wasn't ripped, shredded, etc.

Here is a good timeline. There is more to the article but I'll post the gist of it:

http://rockvillemag.com/home3/2009/12/17/metallica-fan-morgan-harrington-still-missing/

On October 17th, 2009, Morgan Harrington vanished from the surrounding area of John Paul Jones arena.

Harrington, the young, beautiful Metallica fan traveled to the Charlottesville arena to enjoy her first Metallica concert. An event the young woman had been anticipating for over six months. Tragically, due to circumstances still unknown, Harrington ended up outside of the venue before Metallica even took stage around 8:30 p.m.

The facts minus the sea of web conjecture are as follows:

• Harrington arrived safely at the arena in her car which was driven by a friend. She was in the company of two girlfriends and a young man who was the boyfriend of mutual friend. It was in fact Harrington’s car, not a friend’s vehicle as earlier reported in the media, which did take all four students to the arena. The keys remained with Harrington’s friend, inside the venue.

• Harrington made it safely inside the JPJ arena. Around 8:15 to 8:20 p.m. Morgan parted from her friends to find a restroom.

• Around this time, Harrington was reportedly seen with a minor facial cut. Virginia State Police believed the cut was the result of a trip or fall, not an assault.

• Harrington ends up outside of the JPJ arena and is not allowed re-admittance as per the standard JPJ arena policy.

• 8:30 p.m. (estimated) Harrington speaks to her friends (on her cellphone) who are still inside. Morgan informs them she was outside of the arena and was not going to be let back in. She speaks of her intent to find another way home or would possibly meet up with them after the show.

• Over the next hour, eye witness reports place Harrington in the surrounding area of the JPJ arena parking, then moving further into the UVA campus.

• Police track Harrington’s movements to the Copeley Road Bridge where eyewitness reports leave investigators to believe Harrington was trying to hitch a ride. Harrington’s trail turns cold at the Copeley Road Bridge between 9:00 and 9:30 p.m.

• Harrington has never been seen nor heard from since.

On October the 18th, passerbys discover a purse in the overflow RV parking on the UVA campus and turn the lost item over to the UVA Police.

Back in Roanoke, Virginia – Morgan’s hometown – her father, Dan Harrington, realizes something has drastically gone wrong. His daughter missed an afternoon visit with her parents. What Dan and Gil Harrington describe as extremely atypical behavior for their daughter. Nor had the Harrington’s heard from Morgan since calling to let them know she arrived safely at the concert.

After a quick call to Morgan’s friends, Dan Harrington learns his daughter was separated from the group and did not return with them after the concert. Morgan Harrington is officially reported missing to the Virginia State Police on Sunday afternoon.

All that remains of Harrington is a purse, a cell phone – missing the battery, and two months worth of questions and mystery.

Despite a massive media push (with the help of a public relations company) and a website devoted to bringing Morgan home ( FindMorgan.com), the disappearance of Morgan Harrington still remains an unsolved case which has lead to more dead ends and disappointment, than discovery.

In the wake of Morgan’s two month disappearance, an online army of housewives, armchair detectives, and website voyeurs have taken over a Facebook page ( Help Find Morgan Harrington ) where no theory is too outlandish. Star Charts and Psychics are welcome. Every new article, and possible lead is debated and re-evaluated. On HFMH, conjecture reigns supreme. Just like the wild west, the LE (law enforcement) are nothing more than a bullish annoyance who refuses to release any, or all information, in the Harrington case. The slew of comments ranging from all over the country, all convey one belief: we the people know better than the investigators and we are going to solve this, not the police.

Sadly, it is this type of assumption fueled theories which make for a convoluted truth, adding to the burden of the Virginia State Police Investigators. On HFMH a dangerous fiction is written daily. The conjecture, twisting it’s way into an odd mythological fact lands Corrine Geller (public spokes woman for the Virgina State Police) in the center of a growing chasm between fact and fiction. She spends much of her day debunking web theories to a hungry media, eagerly craving new leads.

And what of Metallica? The heavy metal band and Morgan Harrington’s fate’s has forever been entwined. In their past lives, Metallica reveled in the persona, Alcoholica. Now, all band members are father’s themselves. Long behind them are the days of infighting, alcoholic rages, and the debaucherous lifestyles perceived by many to be the very reason one joins a band.

From above "Sadly, it is this type of assumption fueled theories which make for a convoluted truth, adding to the burden of the Virginia State Police Investigators. On HFMH a dangerous fiction is written daily. The conjecture, twisting it’s way into an odd mythological fact lands Corrine Geller (public spokes woman for the Virgina State Police) in the center of a growing chasm between fact and fiction. She spends much of her day debunking web theories to a hungry media, eagerly craving new leads"

Um... I haven't heard any "debunking"... I believe it (or any clarification of the facts such as whose car was driven, etc) would be very helpful though, as many of us have expressed.

On a side note, I agree some of the posts on HFMH are pretty "out there"

True, but isn't what you described generally what all stranger abductions are? The victim being in the wrong place at the wrong time, at the same time as a violent, sick human being. I agree that the chances of/opportunities for this kind of thing happening are slim, and that's why there aren't a ton of stranger abductions. Usually it's someone the victim knows. But they DO happen, and I'm beginning to think this is what happened to Morgan.

I think so too Mia. I understand that people are saying, "What are the chances of a crazy person finding her in that short period of time after she left the arena?" but that is indeed what happens. Think of all the horrible stories of Ted Bundy... and the stories of people who dissapear 5 minutes after a friend last saw them....

I'm beginning to think Moran did indeed fall inside the arena because she was intoxicated (accounting for the bruise on her face) and was asked by security etc to leave due to this. (I am beginning to suspect someone in security might be afraid to admit this)

She was angry and intoxicated outside, (MOO) which explains the accounts of her dropping her purse. Her judgement was very likely off, and a predator took advantage of this.

Rather than being unlikely, I think any predator would tell you that this is just the type of situation they'd hope for.

Whatever caused the shift in her family dynamic and (possibly) the high school transfer, may not have been anything in Morgan's control. I know some have speculated about eating disorders, drugs, drinking, etc. And those are certainly possibilities.

But I'd also like to suggest that something traumatic could have happened to her that caused a transition in her whole outlook on life, such as (god forbid) a rape, or something else like that that drew her closer to her family than some girls her age might be.

Only pointing that out because, if that's the case, then it probably has no bearing on her disappearance. If she did have a history of substance abuse or other risky lifestyle choices, then it may have played a role. Unfortunately, we just don't know.

I respectfully disagree. If it stemmed form whatever happened in high school then it could not have been a rape or something of that sort cause then she would have been closer to her parents, not the opposite.

It means that for 2 years she was not close to both her parents or her dad, as per the letter. This implies that maybe changing her schools without her consent or taking her to rehab (if it was drug related) the summer before senior year h.s. or something of that sort may have done it.

Also, what if her parents did not agree with Alex's way of life (not that there's anything wrong with that) due to their religion or conservative ways? Maybe Morgan sided with him and did not want to talk to her parents bc of it? Her brother did leave to go to NYC and could not wait to flee Va.

This are just hypothesis of course and not my own opinions.

Javabean, in your post #569 you indicated that Morgan had called her father to say she had arived safely at the concert. Actually, Morgan called her father when she arrived safely in Harrisonburg, where she was joined by friends who attend James Madison University for the next leg of the trip -- to the JPJ Arena. The last call Dr. Harrington had from Morgan was the one from Harrisonburg.

Just my observation on your post: IMO, if rape was what happened to Morgan in her high school years, then the rape could have been a factor to her "acting out" ie., drugs, risky lifestyle etc. And then drugs and her risky lifestyle choices could definitely, as you say, have played a role...IMO, her parents were and are clueless as to what her real life may have been like. That is just my opinion and also from experience with my own two girls.

So many unanswered questions, like why the friend drove the car and kept the keys but didn't bat an eyelash about leaving that parking lot without their absent friend. When she called to say she was locked out, couldn't one of the gang step up and ask security to meet her at the door and give her the keys so she at least had a place to sit out of the weather? These kids were so self-absorbed and sound like it continues with their variety of story telling.

Where would she hitch a ride to? The friend's apartment? Certainly not Blacksburg. For someone so grounded and smart she doesn't sound like she was thinking straight that night.

Has the preacher that lives with her parents had anything more to say? That's just an odd situation in itself.

Has anyone been to that arena to see what signage or notices are posted above the exits that clearly state there will be no readmittance? I am wondering how she missed that fact and actually, weren't there security at those doors that might have said "if you leave you are out"?

Virginia State Troopers Search I-64 In Missing METALLICA Fan Case - Dec. 17, 2009
Last Updated: December 18, 2009 6:29 PM
<snipped>
It was two months ago, October 17, that the 20-year-old went missing from outside a METALLICA concert at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville. She was last seen on the Copley Road Bridge not far from the stadium at approximately 9:30 that night, police said.

WHIPLASH, AT WAR and DANGEROUS NEW MACHINE will take part in a hard rock and heavy metal concert to raise money to help in the search for Morgan Harrington.

The concert will be held on Saturday, December 19 at the Canal Club in Richmond &#8212; more than two months after Morgan Harrington was last seen at a METALLICA concert in Charlottesville. Tickets will be available at the door for $15 and all proceeds will go to the Find Morgan Fund, which supports the Harrington family's ongoing search efforts

The event will broadcast live on Ustream.tv.
LETHAL STRIKE - 5:30 - 6:00
MEMORY FADE - 6:15 - 6:45
SAINT DIABLO - 7:00 - 7:30
ARCH DEMON CHOIR - 7:45 - 8:15
CHAOS AGENT - 8:30 - 9:00
DAY MINUS 7 - 9:15 - 9:45
AT WAR - 10:00 - 10:30
WHIPLASH - 10:45 - 11:15
DANGEROUS NEW MACHINE - 11:30-12:00

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/benefit-for-missing-metallica-fan

Article:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=132138
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHIPLASH To Play Benefit Show This Saturday
Date: Dec 17, 2009
<snipped>
On December 19, 2009, legendary New Jersey thrashers WHIPLASH will play a benefit concert for Morgan Harrington, the 20-year-old student from Virginia Tech who was last seen on October 17th near the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, Virginia following a Metallica concert. The event is being held at The Canal Club [http://www.thecanalclub.com] in Richmond, Virginia and aims to raise awareness of Morgan's disappearance and support the Harrington family's ongoing search to find her. All proceeds will go to: http://findmorgan.com. Other bands on the bill include Dangerous New Machine, At War and The Chaos Agent.

View the show poster here.
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=451309518&blogId=522607671

Article:
http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/1225/17522/WHIPLASH-To-Play-Benefit-Show-This-Saturday.html
Two Months Since Morgan Harrington's Disappearance
Friends of missing 20-year-old Morgan Harrington often use the words heartbreaking and surreal when speaking of her disappearance.
Updated: 8:26 PM Dec 17, 2009
<snipped>
"That first Friday, when it had been a week, I was just like, 'Oh my God, where is she, why has she not been back yet,'" says Donn Booker, one of Harrington's friends.

Booker has spent two months wondering where the Virginia Tech student is.

"I don't know what to think and I don't know why it's taken so long. Morgan is a sweet girl and with the time passing, I don't want people to forget about her," says Booker.

Even after investigators searched areas of interest like along Interstate 64, they've found no clues. That leaves family members and friends asking questions and feeling frustrated.

"This Christmas for me, I'm going to hold the people that I love dearly and family members close to me because you never know what could happen to anybody," says Booker.

Video: Harrington Search 0:56
http://www.whsv.com/video/?autoStar...default&clipId=4394136&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Video: Morgan Harrington 0:40
http://www.whsv.com/video/?autoStar...default&clipId=4395892&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Video: Noon Interview: Harrington Latest 12/17/09 2:38
http://www.whsv.com/video/?autoStar...default&clipId=4394006&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Video: Harrington Search 0:29
http://www.whsv.com/video/?autoStar...default&clipId=4392634&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Article:
http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/79545557.html
Holiday heartache: Harringtons face Christmas without Morgan
published 11:47am Friday Dec 18, 2009
<snipped>
&#8220;Today,&#8221; says Dan Harringon, &#8220;I&#8217;m imagining that she did decide to leave, that she just started a new life somewhere.&#8221;

&#8220;It makes me feel better,&#8221; he tells his wife, before turning to a reporter and admitting, &#8220;I don&#8217;t really think that&#8217;s the case.&#8221;

&#8220;What happened in the bathroom seems critical,&#8221; says Gil, noting that when Morgan last saw the two friends with whom she attended the show, she told them she was going to the ladies room. &#8220;We don&#8217;t know if she took something or was given something. None of this makes sense,&#8221; says Gil, adding that Morgan had no history of getting in trouble for substance use or abuse.

To some, the silence of Morgan&#8217;s friends, who have almost entirely refrained from commenting to media outlets, seems questionable. But both Gil and Dan are adamant that Morgan&#8217;s friends should not be vilified, with Dan likening Morgan&#8217;s case to the &#8220;wrong leg being amputated in the ER.&#8221; Many factors, many mistakes by different people, he says, led to one devastating outcome.

*Much much more info at link!

Article:
http://www.readthehook.com/blog/ind...he-harringtons-face-christmas-without-morgan/

:angel:

So many unanswered questions, like why the friend drove the car and kept the keys but didn't bat an eyelash about leaving that parking lot without their absent friend. When she called to say she was locked out, couldn't one of the gang step up and ask security to meet her at the door and give her the keys so she at least had a place to sit out of the weather? These kids were so self-absorbed and sound like it continues with their variety of story telling.

Where would she hitch a ride to? The friend's apartment? Certainly not Blacksburg. For someone so grounded and smart she doesn't sound like she was thinking straight that night.

Has the preacher that lives with her parents had anything more to say? That's just an odd situation in itself.

Has anyone been to that arena to see what signage or notices are posted above the exits that clearly state there will be no readmittance? I am wondering how she missed that fact and actually, weren't there security at those doors that might have said "if you leave you are out"?

Yep...there's something not right about any of what happened that night.

From the 'friend' driving MH's car to MH being outside the arena to MH leaving the arena grounds, her car and her 'friends'.

To me, I believe, for MH to have done any of that something major would have had to have happened.

Whether she was upset or disoriented from the fall possibly in conjunction with some pre-concert partying or whether she was asked to leave - she was outside the arena for whatever reason.

And then for her not to phone her friends to tell them of her predicament...but for one of them to call her...

Still leads me to believe there was something going on with at least one of the friends - whether there was or not, maybe MH's perception was that there was a problem. Like I proposed waaaay back that maybe one of the other girls said something that MH didn't like or took the wrong way. It may or may not have been obvious to the other friend that there was a problem.

But then as you say above, for them to know that MH was outside, cold, rainy and neither one of them came to her rescue - that is despicable IMO.

The pastor living with the Harrington family. I understand why some find that odd. However, I do not knowing that Mrs. Harrington, herself, is ordained and that both Mr. & Mrs. Harrington attend the church where this pastor preaches.

Knowing what 'faith' they profess I see them as people of 'love and light' and are tolerant and accepting of others 'faiths'. This pastor staying with the Harrington's may be how the Harrington's tithe or it may simply be that the church, in this economy, is having money flow problems and a housing stipend (that is usually given to pastors) cannot be afforded at this time so the Harrington's have opened their home to her.

From above "Sadly, it is this type of assumption fueled theories which make for a convoluted truth, adding to the burden of the Virginia State Police Investigators. On HFMH a dangerous fiction is written daily. The conjecture, twisting it&#8217;s way into an odd mythological fact lands Corrine Geller (public spokes woman for the Virgina State Police) in the center of a growing chasm between fact and fiction. She spends much of her day debunking web theories to a hungry media, eagerly craving new leads"

Um... I haven't heard any "debunking"... I believe it (or any clarification of the facts such as whose car was driven, etc) would be very helpful though, as many of us have expressed.

On a side note, I agree some of the posts on HFMH are pretty "out there"

Lots of bloggers are looking to VSP to come up with something for the Harrington Family. There is talk that there might be a coverup with all the big players and big moneymakers. VSU, Basketball Program, JPJ Arena, Carilion. Metallica's PR did an outstanding job offering the reward for one of their fans that is missing and posting on their website. This would have been bad for their image.

None of them want any scandel and in the beginning perhaps VSP was keeping a wrap on it by saying nothing. But it has been two months and I have never known of a case like this with no follow up and no clearing of the air. Not one interview by LE regarding this case after the initial announcement about Morgan missing.

The pressure is on VSP to do a good job.

MOO

Ok, let's look at another idea. First, let's assume she lost or intentionally left the purse. Now, she's hitchhiking somewhere - whether it be to a friend's house, home, or wherever.

Standing on the bridge, she gets a ride from someone. That individual is a nice person, but unfortunately they're not headed where she wants to go. So, they drop her off part way to her destination.

She sticks her thumb out again. She's wearing dark clothes, and may be in a dark, isolated location. Further, it's possible she is impaired, and might be stumbling or walking in the roadway. What if she gets hit by a car?

If the impact tosses her body off the road, it's possible the driver might not even know, and might think he's hit a deer. Or, the driver could have been drinking or just panicked, realized she was dead, and disposes of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ricardo55