Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question regarding texting. I just got a new Samsung Galaxy note and one of the features for texting is delayed sending. I can longhold press the send button and I have the option to send it immediately or in the future by minutes or hours. My question is, how does the location of where my delayed text get affected by that? Will it ping from where I originally created it, or will it ping from where it was "sent" officially in the future. I'm not sure if all newer phones have this feature but I wonder if it will create issues for LE in helping find missing persons. I hope it doesn't become a stumbling block. Technology is wonderful but also a burden. 🙁. Praying they find her soon.
Good question! It will ping where/when the text is actually sent. Until then it is more like a draft and the phone won't communicate with a tower until it reaches the specified time and the message is sent.

What I find very strange in this entire case is all they say is she LOVES her job and would never miss work.

She has a husband I have not heard them mention him at all.

Odd!!!!

*I'm new here. So please bare with me- <modsnip>. Which could very well account for him not knowing where she was.

Yes, it's [the cause of disappearance] usually the most obvious answer. <modsnip>.

People here have helped solve a lot of cases because of our microfocus on minute details.

Yes, it's [the cause of disappearance] usually the most obvious answer. <modsnip>.

I dont think so. Many of us have been following many of these cases herenon Websleuths for years and suicide is not the number one reason women go missing.
Jmo.

I dont think so. Many of us have been following many of these cases and suicide is not the number one reason women go missing.
Jmo
Maybe so, but foul play seems the least likely possibility here.

GM everyone. Reading on some SMS reports a couple of things come to mind

1. She is an EMT/Fire rescue professional. Maybe she was overconfident and saw the hike as less challenging that it really was (it is easy to underestimate the SNP conditions if you are an avid hiker). But also it got me thinking, being the fit athlete that she was, wouldn't she had a GPS/Smart health monitor with her? Even if only for her vitals while running/hiking? A lot of hardcore athlete/runners love this type of gadgets.

2. Her husband is with VSP. Maybe they had opposite shifts and they might not have been the kind of couple that talks during the day. I talk to my fiancé from 6 am until 12 midnight (we share EVERYTHING, emails, texts, phone calls etc). Some couples are not as communicative and just check when someone is obviously late etc. Maybe that is their case due to their professions?

3. Did she have an alarm system at home? That could tell LE when she left the house (or someone who had the code left the house). I would know something is wrong with my SO if say I can see in my alarm log someone entered my townhome at an odd hour (and they need the passcode anyway which only the 2 of us have).

JMO, of course.

What kind of device are you using? I've logged out and can see comments and replies to comments on both laptop and android. The problem with recapping it here is that it's basically against the rules... Just trying to help find a way for you to see it.

ETA the problem with this case is it seems like it is been playing out mostly on social media (Facebook). Maybe now that more MSM have picked it up it will be easier to just use those links.

Agreed...and while I completely understand the reason for the rules, I think the rules should take in consideration "public" and "private" posts on social media. But that's just my opinion.

GM everyone. Reading on some SMS reports a couple of things come to mind

1. She is an EMT/Fire rescue professional. Maybe she was overconfident and saw the hike as less challenging that it really was (it is easy to underestimate the SNP conditions if you are an avid hiker). But also it got me thinking, being the fit athlete that she was, wouldn't she had a GPS/Smart health monitor with her? Even if only for her vitals while running/hiking? A lot of hardcore athlete/runners love this type of gadgets.

2. Her husband is with VSP. Maybe they had opposite shifts and they might not have been the kind of couple that talks during the day. I talk to my fiancé from 6 am until 12 midnight (we share EVERYTHING, emails, texts, phone calls etc). Some couples are not as communicative and just check when someone is obviously late etc. Maybe that is their case due to their professions?

3. Did she have an alarm system at home? That could tell LE when she left the house (or someone who had the code left the house). I would know something is wrong with my SO if say I can see in my alarm log someone entered my townhome at an odd hour (and they need the passcode anyway which only the 2 of us have).

JMO, of course.

Great post and excellent questions.

I think either an accident or suicide are definitely the most likely scenarios at the moment. I don't see any reason to lean towards foul play just yet. I'd like to know what, if anything, was found in her car, e.g. food/water that you'd expect when coming back from a run/hike.

My thoughts as well. I honestly think they do that to put the perpetrator at ease while the investigation moves forward. My gut feeling is one of two things:

1) She intentionally run away / staged her disappearance
2) Someone else is involved.

I would put suicide and accident in the woods last.

I'm new here, but I think this is a wonderful site. Thanks for letting me join ;I'm a NVa native, and spend my summers on my Uncle's farm in Madison County. I have spent a lot of time in this area. &amp;nbsp;Specifically on the trails around the area mentioned- both hiking and on horseback. Her car appears to have been found in Syria, VA. In the parking lot near Graves Mountain lodge (near being 5 miles or so for this rural area.) I say this to clear up some things on the thread. Syria is a little valley town- it has a post office, small country store and Graves Mountain Lodge. It is very rural. There isn't a pay-to-go-in gate like other entrances of the SNP. The only thing near these falls is a fire station on the fire road- and even that- unless you know it is there- you would miss it. This isn't the type of town with cameras, or wifi, or even cell towers. It is pretty isolated. The nearest cell tower would probably be Culpeper. When I was there for the Graves Mountain Trail ride we had no service at all in the valley.The falls here are steep- but the trail isn't overly dangerous with large cliffs to fall over. I do think it is a very odd choice for a training run. (Nicole's father said she was training for an upcoming race.) It is rocky and uneven. Not exactly the type of trail you would see a triathlete training on. However, it is possible she didn't know that ahead of time. You can do the whole thing in about 3 hours if you're moving quickly. So if her last contact was Warrenton at 11am- that would put her in Syria about Noon. Up and back she should have been out of there by 4pm at the latest. This particular area is known for some unsolved murders- Alicia Reynolds (1996) being one. And two unsolved murders of young women in the SNP (1996). If I am not mistaken they were found not far from this area. I am not saying this happened to her- but this area has someone who has been attacking women. All of the crime scenes are found with very little evidence because of the length of time between when the women are found and when they died. I believe IMP she was listed as missing and endangered because she didn't show up for work- and in order for that to happen her family deems there must have been extreme circumstances. As for hiking in SNP vs trail running near her home- She might have been burned out on the trails located near home and wanted a change of scenery. She posted on her training blog for the Lemphoma and lukemia run that she was running on trails near Woodbridge. Also if she was a member at the Warrenton Crossfit it is located right off Rt 29 and it isn't out of the question that she would be comfortable enough with the drive to pop out to SNP for a run/hike

Thanks MrVPA you are spot on when it comes to cell towers and spotty signal in the vicinity of NSP. Even after we leave the park, we have to drive around 1 hour to get constant signal.

The area is very rural.

Thanks so much to our members with local knowledge. It really helps those of us following at a distance to get the lay of the land.

I hope they have pulled her credit card records. If she was talking to or texting with somone around 11am in the Warrenton area. That means she would have been right around lunchtime- and being familiar with Warrenton could have stopped to pick up some lunch before getting out to the trail. Culpeper is the other option as well. Maybe they saw her and can verify she was 1. Alone 2. In workout gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alwaysseeking