Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was a volunteer ff when I was 19-21 in MD, (20 years ago). I am not surprised at this. Back in my day, the only difference was there were no forums online to post stuff on. The gossip about any woman was horrible. If you were attractive, it was worse. We had daytime paid paramedics only. It isn't just in a professional firehouse that this stuff happens. I left because any woman who got along with the guys was rumored to be sleeping with them. The wives treated us suspiciously. IMO, this isn't a new atmosphere in a firehouse or isolated to one station. I had and have several friends in NOVa who are paid ff, and they would just call it a Peyton Place. It's sad that it the atmosphere continues to be like that for some firehouses, but it's something that you either deal with or leave. I, and many others, choose to leave.
I just wanted to also add, several paid ff also volunteer at their local firehouse. The young man who survived the gunshot a couple weeks ago who was a paid paramedic, also volunteers at the firehouse I used to. Like anywhere, you have mostly good apples, but some rotten ones too. I wish peace to Nicole's family. I don't know if work gossip played into her suicide, but I can see how it would.

Trying to catch up, but you guys are super fast on posting over the last couple days!
Please tell me if the note that was found directly blamed her suicide on feeling cyber-bullied.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe the contents of the note has been disclosed.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe the contents of the note has been disclosed.
We'll sit and wait to be corrected together then, because I didn't think so either.

Do we know that Nicole was even aware of the website's existence?
Was she taking meds for depression (possible mis-carriage, failed marriage, etc.)?
Did she have financial problems?

We don't know what the suicide note said or even if her suicide was a direct result of the bullying. We do know that she was bullied. I have no problem whatsoever calling the bullies out. If it is proven that it was her co-workers they should be disciplined.
JMO

I realize that the cyber bullying is speculation as to what may have contributed to NM's suicide. IMO, there may have been a more recent catalyst or event that drove her over the edge, one where she felt there was no return. Her private pain must have been horrendous and I wish she could have confided in someone. Therein lies the survivor guilt and I so hope the family can get the help and support they need. IMO

WASHINGTON — Investigators are looking into the cyberbullying that firefighter Nicole Mittendorff endured from her colleagues before taking her life, and leaders in the Fairfax County firefighting community say it will set precedent in how bullying is handled in a firehouse.

While no one knows the role cyberbullying played in her decision to take her life, scathing online attacks from people who claim to be Mittendorff’s colleagues are part of an active thread in an underground local forum.

Most of the posts are too obscene to quote, and call the 31-year-old Mittendorff out by name. Commenters, who don’t use their real names, criticize her body, her sex life, even her death, while also shaming other women.

http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016...ying-of-fairfax-firefighter-to-set-precedent/

WASHINGTON — Investigators are looking into the cyberbullying that firefighter Nicole Mittendorff endured from her colleagues before taking her life, and leaders in the Fairfax County firefighting community say it will set precedent in how bullying is handled in a firehouse.

While no one knows the role cyberbullying played in her decision to take her life, scathing online attacks from people who claim to be Mittendorff’s colleagues are part of an active thread in an underground local forum.

Most of the posts are too obscene to quote, and call the 31-year-old Mittendorff out by name. Commenters, who don’t use their real names, criticize her body, her sex life, even her death, while also shaming other women.

http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016...ying-of-fairfax-firefighter-to-set-precedent/
Well, good, WTOP is on it... Now the County Executive needs to set up a panel to investigate any and all wrong doings at FF&R. And, if need be, restructure the whole Administration of the department.

Issues that may need to be investigated:
Bigotry
Bullying
Overtime abuses
Fraternizing/sex in the firehouses or while on the taxpayers dime
Etc

I was surprised that when I posted that the wife of retired FBI Agent Steve Moore was culpable in initiating and perpetrating cyber stalking and cyber bulling, I was not challenged. If anyone requires proof, please contact me privately.

Online harassment does not happen in isolation. Whoever stepped in first to interfere with Nicole's life will be the first person who tries to hide, and chances are there is a spider web of people who interfered with her.

All of them should be held accountable. All Fire Department employees should be put on leave - all of them. They should be taken off leave as they are proven to be 100% hands off in Nicole's suicide.

Are there any investigative reporters in Virginia? It's just that it seems odd that online bullying, an international problem, is not hit head on front and centre.

At this time, it seems like they were placatingly passive "we're paying attention to the funeral and don't have time for the online bullying" comments released at the time that Nicole's body was discovered hanging.

Have the employees of the fire department had enough time to process the death of Nicole, and are they now, once again, able to look at the environment in which she committed suicide? That is, are they able to answer questions, or are they still mourning the death of their colleague?

Fairfax Fire Department tolerated sexual harassment so I won't be surprised if they knew about the bullying. You would think they had learned their lesson.

From May, 2011

A federal jury in Alexandria has ruled that the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department knew of and tolerated a male lieutenant’s sexual harassment of a female firefighter and has awarded her $250,000.

The county is facing a second federal trial next month involving allegations of years of far more intense and continual harassment of another female firefighter by her male colleagues and superiors.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ral-jury-rules/2011/05/26/AGDu5JCH_story.html

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department FB

Attention Media: The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department will hold a press conference tomorrow, April 29, at 1 p.m., at the Massey Building, located at 4100 Chain Bridge Road. Fire Chief Bowers will discuss the cyberbullying investigation concerning FF Mittendorff and departmental plans for bullying/harassment awareness and suicide prevention moving forward.

Good ! Looks like they have some explaining to do.

The spotlight and pressure needs to be continued and ramped up. Every FF who perpetuates these HWEs must be cut loose and in a very public way. We don't need to hear that they transfer to some other unsuspecting community.

Fairfax Fire Department tolerated sexual harassment so I won't be surprised if they knew about the bullying. You would think they had learned their lesson.

From May, 2011

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ral-jury-rules/2011/05/26/AGDu5JCH_story.html
From the comments, on these cases from 2011, it sounds like the only thing that can be done is to bring criminal charges against these people who feel untouchable. The irony, the citizens paid the settlement and we don't even know if these men were fired or simply transferred.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back