Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
rsbm
While I'm taking LE's side and fully support their efforts, I think VSP needs to get the FBI involved. She has been missing for a week and is the wife, estranged or not, of one of their own officers. I can't think of a better reason to hand this over to another agency. If it turns out that she was abducted or worse, the culprit's attorney will use VSP's lead role in the investigation to create reasonable doubt at trial.

VSP initially reported that "local, state and federal" agencies were involved in the search. The FBI is likely involved in some capacity, imo.

I know I don't text my parents daily. And if she commonly flew solo and did her own thing, it's not unreasonable. It's not like she's a child that would always be around someone. This also assumes we know all the details - we probably don't.

Agreed!

I am divorced, retired early, live alone, and value my freedom to just 'take off'.

I have elderly parents and four adult children, some of whom live locally. I also have very good friends and neighbours, and a boyfriend who lives 70 miles away.

Despite being a very close family, there is no-one I am in daily contact with.

I can quite easily see that if I went missing, it could be quite a number of days, even a week, before anyone realised there was something amiss.

Now there's a thought!!

VSP initially reported that "local, state and federal" agencies were involved in the search. The FBI is likely involved in some capacity, imo.
I would assume federal means the Park Police before FBI.

Are they allowing the public to help with the search? (ie; any organized search parties?)

The general public is still being asked to stay away and several trails are closed.

I think media assumed the texts were to the father, because he deleted and edited the comment on fb about the text, and location of it. He just said the last text message was at 10:50 and she disappeared at 11:00. The family said on the Find Nicole page the account was in his name also. He can see what's on there, except he couldn't see the files she downloaded, only that she downloaded files before she left. He's not said when any of the family last talked to her.

Are they allowing the public to help with the search? (ie; any organized search parties?)
No. The organized civilian search parties are trained and experienced in this work and terrain. There is also a unit that works natural disasters worldwide. I'm convinced there is no further benefit from the public. You can't do a grid search.

This has been my hunch from the beginning. I also do not believe she is in the SNP.

http://wjla.com/news/local/candlelight-vigil-planned-for-missing-firefighter-nicole-mittendorff
This article also mentions, "Late Wednesday afternoon, authorities confirmed search dogs had made some scent "hits", but no one had yet to stumble upon any physical evidence such as clothing or jewelry.

"We've explored each of those 'hits', but it hasn't led to anything," said Clair Comer, a spokeswoman for the National Park Service."

question, how does the family (dad, sister) know that she downloaded "files" to her phone?

The National Park Service and their Rangers are Federal.

http://wjla.com/news/local/candlelight-vigil-planned-for-missing-firefighter-nicole-mittendorff
This article also mentions, "Late Wednesday afternoon, authorities confirmed search dogs had made some scent "hits", but no one had yet to stumble upon any physical evidence such as clothing or jewelry.

"We've explored each of those 'hits', but it hasn't led to anything," said Clair Comer, a spokeswoman for the National Park Service."

Maybe the scent came from something someone took from her car? JMO

What stands out to me in this case is how there are no videos from stores/gas stations/things like that - usually when someone goes missing, police try to track them and pull up surveillance video. If she was known to be in a certain area, why not check cameras in the area, etc to see if she was with another person? Or if someone else was driving the vehicle? I thought that was pretty standard. Of course, they could have done it but aren't sharing it. Also, no mention of her using her ATM card; no "no activity on her bank account since [whenever]" - seems odd. JMO.

What stands out to me in this case is how there are no videos from stores/gas stations/things like that - usually when someone goes missing, police try to track them and pull up surveillance video. If she was known to be in a certain area, why not check cameras in the area, etc to see if she was with another person? Or if someone else was driving the vehicle? I thought that was pretty standard. Of course, they could have done it but aren't sharing it. Also, no mention of her using her ATM card; no "no activity on her bank account since [whenever]" - seems odd. JMO.

The area surrounding the NSP is very rural. If she went to a wawa or an exxon (there is a few but far off the park) she might be on camera. But if she did not stop or stopped in a rural type of gas station or a mom and pop store I doubt there would be any footage.

She might have not stopped at all.

Boy it took forever catching up! A few thoughts....in the Fox 5 article it also states NM was recently reassigned from station 30 to 32 but dept wouldnt confirm. This to me shows more towards an issue possibly at work or with coworkers and also goes more towards the issues over the last few months had not resolved. I dont see her using maps to disappear or harm herself. If she intended to harm herself, why bother to call in at all? She being fire and knowing rescue and helping others, would make me think she would less likely disappear in a place as described. I feel she knew too much to fall victim to accident or animal. Im really down to thinking foul play more and more IMO. Did she workout in the other town to see someone? Did she have a significant other? Did she break off with a significant other or spouse recently? Did she call in because she planned to spend time with this person? I think her car was ditched there. If she were dead unburied would crows be circling by now? I think the family prefers to think she disappeared on her own versus foul play and thats why we see their behavior. I think thats common. http:// www.fox5dc.com/news/127262666-story

Station 30 Merrifield comments:

This fire station is centrally located in Fairfax County. It is near inova Fairfax Hospital. Guys are great. Calls are nonstop. Lots of sleepless nights. This station has an engine, medic, tower, mobile command post, and deputy fire chief of operations. Stop in for a visit if you're in the neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...safari#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=514645278704165040

Station 32 near Burke Ctr comments:

Located conveniently off of route 123, this firehouse is seconds from Fairfax County Parkway. This station consist of an engine, medic, and battalion. One of the older smaller stations, it is very cozy and rich with

https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...afari#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=4949906177781869340

I wonder how recent she was reassigned from 30 to 32. This in my opinion could have triggered depression (going from larger active station to smaller) if she did not request the move. With other things (if true) going on in her life.

Beautiful Young active energetic go getter.

So many ifs ands or buts in this case. Very sad.
Tragic no matter what has happened to her.
IMO

It's wrong to assume these things haven't done. But you're right that these things are often shared...if there is suspicion of foul play. To me, the lack of information tells me they have a very strong idea that she intended to harm herself, thus it's a private family issue and the police will not comment more than they need to.

They've probably covered every base possible. IDK why they wouldn't.

It's wrong to assume these things haven't done. But you're right that these things are often shared...if there is suspicion of foul play. To me, the lack of information tells me they have a very strong idea that she intended to harm herself, thus it's a private family issue and the police will not comment more than they need to.

Police also withhold evidence to determine whether the suspects they catch are guilty. Just saying.

Or when she was last known to have been seen and where. Wednesday? Thursday? Nor do we know what she was wearing when she was last seen. Regardless of what LE holds back they usually give out what the person was last known to be wearing. That info would help if you wanted to hear from other hikers. That might mean LE has not identified anyone who saw her on Wed or Thur or what her whereabouts were during the week just before or after the last text to her father.

Or when she was last known to have been seen and where. Wednesday? Thursday? Nor do we know what she was wearing when she was last seen. Regardless of what LE holds back they usually give out what the person was last known to be wearing. That info would help if you wanted to hear from other hikers. That might mean LE has not identified anyone who saw her on Wed or Thur or what her whereabouts were during the week just before or after the last text to her father.

Totally agree.

But if no one saw her, how would they know what she was wearing? They can't give info they don't have.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielrosini
Back