VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #5 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, all you guys, for your answers. I must admit I am totally stunned that this is the usual behavior for most l3 year olds. I cannot believe that they are having sex at this age. My girlfriends and I used to walk a lot of places, get wolf whistles and be totally disinterested, let alone thinking about having sex. There were a couple of seniors in our class who made it known that they were having sex and they were treated like the town "--ores", which was not very nice, but that is the way it was. So much change now with social media; I am glad I am not raising teenagers in this age. How can one possibly keep up with the changes happening so quickly. I know parents try, but it must be a constant battle, especially if the teen is even a little rebellious. Thanks everyone, Katt.

Ugh me too, glad I do not have kids. My husband's young nieces, including the 10-year old, have been "into" boys for years, it seems. I equated "boys" with my four brothers until I was 14 or so, and could not imagine ever wanting to be near one...

In Virginia there are three classes of murder: capital murder, first-degree murder, and second-degree murder. Capital murder is the most serious type of homicide because it is planned and done on purpose with some type evil intent.

Capital murders can be punishable by the death penalty.

Murder non-capital I assume means murder but not the death penalty?

and

First Degree Murder is to kill another by poison, lying in wait, imprisonment, starving, or by any willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing, or in the commission of, or attempt to commit, arson, rape, forcible sodomy, inanimate or animate object sexual penetration, robbery, burglary, or abduction.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/virginia-law/virginia-murder-laws.html

Thank you! I don't understand why this is not capital murder. I think there was evil intent. Guess we don't know everything yet...

Thank you! I don't understand why this is not capital murder. I think there was evil intent. Guess we don't know everything yet...

A lot of times VA doesnt go for capital. They have to prove beyond doubt this was particularly heinous and the worst imaginable.. They even debated charging JM in MH's case with CApital. He only has a 1st degree charge for murdering Morgan. HG's brutal murder brings a capital charge and they are seeking death.

Which I believe the charge was upgraded, if I recall.

I was a 13 year old girl somewhat recently (I'm 25) and yeah, it's wacky out there. Girls my age were already having sex when I was in middle school, and if they weren't having it, they were talking about it/acting like they knew more about it than they did. NL's attention/affection seeking doesn't seem terribly outside of the norm, unfortunately. I think SM has made it seem like this is a sudden development in terms of what's considered normal for the teenage years, but I think it's just become more public. What was once shared only in locked diaries or whispered at slumber parties is now all over the internet for all to see.

I'm only two years younger than you and that's so far from my middle school experience. I don't remember sex being a big deal at all. I can't think of one person I knew at 13 who was having sex...or claiming to. My cousin is your age, was extremely confident and flirty and boy crazy around that age, and she just made out with tons of boys.

Thank god I didn't go to a school where the middle schoolers are talking about sex...I wouldn't be able to function. I had so many friends when I was that age, so this idea if not being accepted by your peers because you aren't having sex is so foreign to me.

When I hear about these middle schools where all the kids are hooking up, I wonder how much of that is just made up rumors because that's the culture and kids want to fit in.

I was a 13 year old girl somewhat recently (I'm 25) and yeah, it's wacky out there. Girls my age were already having sex when I was in middle school, and if they weren't having it, they were talking about it/acting like they knew more about it than they did. NL's attention/affection seeking doesn't seem terribly outside of the norm, unfortunately. I think SM has made it seem like this is a sudden development in terms of what's considered normal for the teenage years, but I think it's just become more public. What was once shared only in locked diaries or whispered at slumber parties is now all over the internet for all to see.

THANKS! This is what I have thought. I am older than your gramma, but I have observed the differences between "then" and now. Kids really were kids when I was 13. If kids were actually sexually active, they did not advertise it. Maybe some were, but none that I knew of. I feel badly for tweens today. JMO

RE: 13 yr old dating behavior

I'm so happy the Internet wasn't really around at this time. Even with AOL and dialup I almost fled to meet a college guy in DC and one in Iowa when I was a Jr or Sr. Scary considering the trouble I did manage to get into...

I was 13 in '93 and dated a 28 yr old for 3 months and then immediately began dating a 21 yr old for 7 months. He began actively grooming me at 13. I was firm in my stance to be a virgin until marriage but with the 21 yr old I caved in a week because I was afraid that he would leave if I didn't. It wasn't even that he was that great, I just needed to be wanted and loved and knew sex would make him happy and then I would get the affection I craved. It was a sense of panic if I thought someone didn't want me or love me, even if I didn't want or love them. The relationship with the second guy ended when I was raped by a 19 yr old.

No one would describe me as a shrinking violet or easily led. I became vulnerable enough to be victimized in many ways discussed by others. I have severe abandonment issues. I'm a diagnosed Borderline and this was first noted as a possibility as early as 1994. I've been medicated for depression since '94.

*I was overly sexualized as a child thru molestation from both a male and female (happened during time of abandonment).

*Physically I matured young, became a "woman" at 8/9 and by 4th grade was in a B/C cup bra. (My mom did as well)

*Dad was present in my household except when he spent about 18 months in DC for work. I was 11-12. This did NOT go over well with me.

Similar to NL I was also a cutter. You'd be surprised to know the number of people that claim this for a variety of reasons. I don't know if she was but I wonder if her mom or doctors ever had any concerns. I don't doubt her but like many teens she seemed to like attention.

She looks so young and innocent to me.

All JMO and experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

IMO, It's starting to look more and more like NK snapped to me. She was so quick to spill every bean to try to put it on DE.. Then they kept presenting evidence to NK so she kept giving them more to try to downplay her involvement? Like, LE could have thrown some evidence out that Only they would know.. So NK kept talking to try to point the finger at DE for being the real killer. As far as we know, DE hasn't said anything and had a lawyer ASAP.

Something doesn't set right with me when thinking that NK had such loose lips to speak to LE so fast.

Do you mean snapped on the night of the murder? I don't think so. They bought the shovel ahead of time, IIRC. She is charged with planning the murder starting in early January. I don't think she snapped as in spur-of-the-moment snapped.

However, I do think she is deeply troubled, and in that sense, I guess you could say she snapped.

JMOpinion at the moment.

I think it is sad when girls feel the only thing they have to offer is their looks. When I was Nicole's age, I was very well liked among my peers because I had a really crazy, fun hyperactive personality. Why not try to make your classmates laugh? I just don't get it.

And I don't understand this idea that you need to be sexually available to be seen as attractive or worthy. Cause I'm know I am attractive and worthy just from existing. Other girls need to start thinking the same

It's crazy what these kids see, post and say. But, I have to wonder if they mostly still just talk about sex, as has been the case for decades, or are actually engaging. Overall teen pregnancy rates continue to trend downward, nationally, with the exception of a few groups. But how would they even be getting contraceptives at those ages? So, I stil tend to think that much of this is just talk and the sharing of dirty memes and vines. Otherwise, they are refraining from the full deed. Which would account for the numbers of teen pregnancies and iirc, abortions trending downward.

RE: 13 yr old dating behavior

I'm so happy the Internet wasn't really around at this time. Even with AOL and dialup I almost fled to meet a college guy in DC and one in Iowa when I was a Jr or Sr. Scary considering the trouble I did manage to get into...

I was 13 in '93 and dated a 28 yr old for 3 months and then immediately began dating a 21 yr old for 7 months. He began actively grooming me at 13. I was firm in my stance to be a virgin until marriage but with the 21 yr old I caved in a week because I was afraid that he would leave if I didn't. It wasn't even that he was that great, I just needed to be wanted and loved and knew sex would make him happy and then I would get the affection I craved. It was a sense of panic if I thought someone didn't want me or love me, even if I didn't want or love them. The relationship with the second guy ended when I was raped by a 19 yr old.

No one would describe me as a shrinking violet or easily led. I became vulnerable enough to be victimized in many ways discussed by others. I have severe abandonment issues. I'm a diagnosed Borderline and this was first noted as a possibility as early as 1994. I've been medicated for depression since '94.

*I was overly sexualized as a child thru molestation from both a male and female (happened during time of abandonment).

*Physically I matured young, became a "woman" at 8/9 and by 4th grade was in a B/C cup bra. (My mom did as well)

*Dad was present in my household except when he spent about 18 months in DC for work. I was 11-12. This did NOT go over well with me.

Similar to NL I was also a cutter. You'd be surprised to know the number of people that claim this for a variety of reasons. I don't know if she was but I wonder if her mom or doctors ever had any concerns. I don't doubt her but like many teens she seemed to like attention.

She looks so young and innocent to me.

All JMO and experience.

Thank you for sharing. What do you mean when you say the 21 yr old groomed you? And at 13, were you sneaking out of windows late at night to meet?

I got my period when I was 13, which was in line with most kids at the time. I was born in the 60s. Today it's not uncommon for girls to get their period at age 10 or 11. I heard also it could be due to hormones in food.
I have heard it can also be more common depending on where your ancestors are from. It was explained to me by a Dr friend (OB/GYN), so take it with a grain of salt, that cultures that are from close to the equator tend to start their period younger. The colder the climate the more delayed the onset.

I have no doubt that girls in general are maturing younger and younger but it's probably due to a myriad of factors including hormones in food.

I started at 8 or a young 9. My sister at 16. My mother and grandmother was young like me. I'm curious about my nieces!

All IMO/Experience

What's really scary is the access these adults have to these curious tweens. In the past kids hung with people they knew from school, camp, teams, etc. and they were in the same basic age groups. Any curiousity was probably much more self conscious and fumbling about. But now you throw in these strangers and here is what we end up with... A bunch of older people taking advantage of these pre pubescent kids. It's such a horrible dilemma.

I understand the non-capital as the DA is evidently not seeking the death penalty.

But the '2' behind the first degree murder may have to do with the class of felony this is. A capital offense is a class 1 felony which means it would be a death penalty case.

18.2-32. First and second degree murder defined; punishment.

Murder, other than capital murder, by poison, lying in wait, imprisonment, starving , or by any willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing, or in the commission of, or attempt to commit, arson, rape, forcible sodomy, inanimate or animate object sexual penetration, robbery, burglary or abduction, except as provided in 18.2-31, is murder of the first degree, punishable as a Class 2 felony.

http://law.justia.com/codes/virginia/2006/toc1802000/18.2-32.html

Thank you OBE! It doesn't look like they have decided on Eisenhauer yet. Of course, no pleas from other defendant yet either. He's just A.

It's crazy what these kids see, post and say. But, I have to wonder if they mostly still just talk about sex, as has been the case for decades, or are actually engaging. Overall teen pregnancy rates continue to trend downward, nationally, with the exception of a few groups. But how would they even be getting contraceptives at those ages? So, I stil tend to think that much of this is just talk and the sharing of dirty memes and vines. Otherwise, they are refraining from the full deed. Which would account for the numbers of teen pregnancies and iirc, abortions trending downward.

I'm pretty sure the average age for losing virginity is around 17 or 18 so I'm taking claims of Middle schools where everyone is having sex with a grain of salt.

The 13 of today is not the same as the 13 of the 70s. Children are sexualized at a very young age (thank you media, internet, etc).

As an 11/12/13-year-old in the early 1970s, I was pretty boy-focused and somewhat "sexualized" in my pursuits. Not so much doing stuff, but talking stuff. I kind of got through that stage and backed off a little...got wiser, something, I'm not sure. I think, for me, part of the reason was being around older teens I looked up to who were "discovering" their sexuality, in "romantic" relationships. I wasn't the focus of that -- not physically abused by older teens, etc. -- but I did hear and see things that maybe it would have been best that I didn't.... I guess maybe I thought THAT was the way to get love/affection from male peers, because of that...that it was "cool", the way of romance.

Not sure if Nicole had older teens in her everyday real life that she would have modeled after...?

:waitasec:

David Lovell and his wife, Terri, were headed from their home in Wytheville to the prayer vigil in Blacksburg for his missing 13-year-old daughter, Nicole Madison Lovell, when he received the dreaded phone call on Saturday evening.

According to David Lovell, the call was from a member of the Wytheville Police Department who was standing at the front door of Lovell’s apartment. He said the officer didn’t want to give him the bad news over the phone.

“I insisted he tell me,” Lovell said on Monday morning. “It was always in the back of my mind that this wouldn’t end well but I tried not to think about it.”

After hearing the news that his daughter’s body had been found in Surry County, North Carolina....

I wonder if Nicole's father meant to say that he learned Nicole's cause of death on television?

http://m.swvatoday.com/news/article_adc3a1ac-c912-11e5-933e-dff567f0abe7.html?mode=jqm

It really depends on the teenager too. I have a daughter that is 14. She has friends the same age and younger who take a boy's pencil, stick it down their shirt and then say "if you want it back, come take it". Sadly, most of her friends started "dating" in 5th-6th grade and frequently talk about their "ex-bfs" like adults in a sit-com. Their FB posts are very much like NLs...hers didn't look unusual at all to me. They are constantly posting "hot or nah" and begging for attention of all kinds on social media. Its scary. This is about the only time I'm glad my daughter is a little immature. Not naive at all, but still just has "crushes" and turns pink at the mention of a boy's name, doesn't want to be online because "it causes too much drama", and is still actually happy to spend time with her family and closest friends. For now...

I'm pretty sure the average age for losing virginity is around 17 or 18 so I'm taking claims of Middle schools where everyone is having sex with a grain of salt.

Well, that is whatt kids admit to in surveys. Not so sure. But I do think oral sex starts much earlier and does not "count" as sex. Jmo

Like others, I have wondered if Nicole had too much time on her hands. Perhaps an afterschool activity would have benefited her. But then, look at the perps. They had sports and theatre and that didn't seem to set them on the right path. :(

The case is so sad because we have three young people who could've done anything with their lives.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member