GUILTY VA - Noah Thomas, 5, Pulaski County, 22 March 2015 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, Anna. I'm a big buff of old historic cemeteries, and in most cases, those cemeteries are still being used for current burials. I am very surprised at what some newer gravesites look like - basically, like a birthday party just left their litter there. I have seen piles of beer cans (that were actually placed as part of a memorial), a collection of windchimes that you can hear all over the cemetery, a tricycle, a grouping of Disney trademarked images forming a headstone (little mermaid, Cinderella, etc.). On the one hand, it seems so out of place next to the dignified other tombstones - but I kind of get it. People reacting in pain and loss often do things that would seem odd. So I wouldn't be all that surprised to see a sandbox plopped right down in front of a tombstone. I would only hope people don't take their children to play there.

You live the most interesting life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, Anna. I'm a big buff of old historic cemeteries, and in most cases, those cemeteries are still being used for current burials. I am very surprised at what some newer gravesites look like - basically, like a birthday party just left their litter there. I have seen piles of beer cans (that were actually placed as part of a memorial), a collection of windchimes that you can hear all over the cemetery, a tricycle, a grouping of Disney trademarked images forming a headstone (little mermaid, Cinderella, etc.). On the one hand, it seems so out of place next to the dignified other tombstones - but I kind of get it. People reacting in pain and loss often do things that would seem odd. So I wouldn't be all that surprised to see a sandbox plopped right down in front of a tombstone. I would only hope people don't take their children to play there.

I can only assume the sandbox would be intended for children to play.

Jmo but I hate to see a lot of "stuff" in cemeteries. Flowers, okay. But anything else will be stolen, messed up, damaged, rot, etc...and just cause work for the staff. And Imo looks tacky. There are so many ways to show remembrance to loved ones that can actually do good.

Jmo but I hate to see a lot of "stuff" in cemeteries. Flowers, okay. But anything else will be stolen, messed up, damaged, rot, etc...and just cause work for the staff. And Imo looks tacky. There are so many ways to show remembrance to loved ones that can actually do good.

Agreed. If rumors are true Noah does have at least one sane aunt. Hopefully she will be able to put an end to this stuff.

You live the most interesting life.

Yes, I believe she does. Old cemeteries are totally fascinating, a view into the world of our ancestors, if you have to the eyes, ears and knowledge to understand.

I've seen odd things in cemeteries too but nothing like a sandbox on top of a grave, for people to take their children too. I'm not sure this is about grief and loss. It sounds more like 'a look what I'll do' to get attention and popularity situation.

Yes, I believe she does. Old cemeteries are totally fascinating, a view into the world of our ancestors, if you have to the eyes, ears and knowledge to understand.

If I didn't know better I would think that you just called me stupid but I'll assume it was just poor wording on your part.

A donation could be made to a Child Abuse Prevention program to memorialize Noah.

Exactly! Sadly, I think that requires more work than they are willing to put in for their 15 minutes of fame. And, that's something individuals could do on their own, and they wouldn't need her to coordinate the spectacle! Plus, they couldn't collect gas money for that. I hate to post over there, but I'm going to go suggest people do something like this, own their own, no middle man needed.

If I didn't know better I would think that you just called me stupid but I'll assume it was just poor wording on your part.

I was hoping you were too dim to catch that.. ;)

A cemetery seems hardly the place for such things. Why not work on a memorial park, or a bench at an existing park. I teach my children to respect cemeteries. I can't imagine going to my sister's, dad's, or grandparent's grave to pay my respects or for a funeral and seeing a sandbox set up and children playing there.

They are literally wanting to dance on Noah's grave. It's disrespectful and rude.

LOL.
I can't read it, I just tried. I feel like I should pay you for all the real and accurate information! Maybe we could set up a Courtney page?
It's surely in bad taste. Thank you for caring.

:cow:

Steleheart, it really is so bad that you have to joke about the ridiculousness of it all. But seriously, someone needs to go set those people straight.

Steleheart, it really is so bad that you have to joke about the ridiculousness of it all. But seriously, someone needs to go set those people straight.

I would try but I'm probably too dim.

No, there is no way on earth that cemetery would allow that. Highland Memory is actually one of the area's "newer" cemeteries: it has flat markers, paved paths, no really "old" sections with a lot of mortuary art, etc.

Here's the website with a good picture that should give you some idea of what it's usually like: http://www.dignitymemorial.com/highland-memory-gardens/en-us/index.page

(Editing to add there's a whole slideshow of images available through that site.)

OK, I couldn't stand it . . . I just called Highland Memory Gardens with a question about flowers and other memorial items on graves. I learned that their mowing season started March 15 and will run until September 15. For sites where the marker is up, there is a vase for leaving flowers. This matches what I remember about tending graves at Highland; I have friends and family there.

Just after a funeral, they tend to leave the crosses, standing arrangements, etc. for a few days, until they become "dried out." (This site is pretty carefully maintained and mowed often.)

It sounds as if they're leaving the memorials for Noah as it's still a new grave, which seems appropriate given the raw feelings, the permanent marker not being in place yet, etc. Once that's done, I'd expect the cemetery to maintain a much more formal standard.

OK, I couldn't stand it . . . I just called Highland Memory Gardens with a question about flowers and other memorial items on graves. I learned that their mowing season started March 15 and will run until September 15. For sites where the marker is up, there is a vase for leaving flowers. This matches what I remember about tending graves at Highland; I have friends and family there.

Just after a funeral, they tend to leave the crosses, standing arrangements, etc. for a few days, until they become "dried out." (This site is pretty carefully maintained and mowed often.)

It sounds as if they're leaving the memorials for Noah as it's still a new grave, which seems appropriate given the raw feelings, the permanent marker not being in place yet, etc. Once that's done, I'd expect the cemetery to maintain a much more formal standard.

Hopefully all the shenanigans will end after the groundskeepers clean up. Good job finding out!

I have read those pages and for the life of me I can't find the posts being discussed.

First, glad that you came out of lurkdom and I hope you will continue posting with us.
Second, please tell me that you're a troll and aren't serious. Please? Good grief, in what universe would that be appropriate? How do they go from "let's honor him by littering his grave with trinkets and post pictures for FB likes" to "let's completely disrespect him by turning his grave into a litter box for toddlers and stray cats"?

Thanks, vaportsmom. No, I'm not a troll, I promise. I've been here for years and only recently started posting. I'm glad Kristi saw it too. After I posted, I went to look for it to screen shot it and couldn't find it. They were comments from a random poster in a picture of the admin's daughter hugging a stuffed animal, I believe. The admin wrote recently that she took the pictures of her daughter down. It is really unbelievable, but I did see it. And there were other posters agreeing that it was a good idea.

Poor Noah. He doesn't deserve this. I know people mean well, but I really hope they can honor him in a more respectful way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCpsyche